As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Torrrents and my netgearN300 router

Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So my old router died a bit ago and I went and got a new netgearN300 router from my local best buy.

Ever since I've gotten it my torrents will not download at all. I've tried port forwarding several different ports and looking for hours online and I can't seem to get it to work at all.

I'm using uTorrent as my program and before this I had no problems with anything downloading.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Never actually used a Netgear router before... From a quick googling, Netgear themselves says you should:
    "1. Configure a Custom Service specifying a name and the ports to be forwarded.
    2. Configure a Port Forwarding Rule using the Custom Service from Step 1 and point it to a specific computer."

The same search resulted in someone commenting that Netgear made it more complicated than on your average router, so I guess simple port forwarding like on every other router doesn't cover it, you need to add a service as well? Again, this is without personal experience with the router. There's a site called Portforward.com that may or may not help you with this (but you need to know your exact router model, because according to their site's listing, N300 is not specific enough).

Essee on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The router may simply not have enough memory for the tons of connections you have with torrents. Check your torrent settings for the number of simultaneous connections. Drop it to 10% of what it is and work your way up 10% at a time to what it was.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I have a Netgear router and have never experienced any difficulty downloading torrents. Never had to set up any special services or even do any port forwarding, so I'm not sure what the instructions Essee quoted above are about.

I say this not to be the "no problems here" guy and make you want to punch the internet, but just to raise some skepticism about the theory that Netgear routers require some special, more-complicated procedure lest it turn out to be a wild goose chase and the actual issue is something simpler/more fundamental like Echo suggested.

I guess I should note that I use BitTorrent rather than uTorrent, although I doubt that would make a significant difference...

Good luck though, hope you can resolve the problem.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Basically, from the search I did, I don't think him saying his router is a "Netgear N300" is specific enough. That's probably not an exact router he has, more like a class of routers, it looks like (again, no experience with them). Also, I don't think what Netgear themselves listed is really complicated... it probably just takes a second or two more than simply setting the ports in port forwarding, is all. And by the way, if you want full speeds from a torrent on ANY router, I'm pretty sure you DO need to do port forwarding. Depending on the router, you might still be downloading, but not at full speed. I've done that before, and while it wasn't TOO bad, it's much, much better with the port properly opened. And again, that's really all the info I could find with a search like "Netgear N300 torrent" because I think in reality his router is probably one of the zillion from that series listed under Netgear on the Portforward site. :P If he knows the actual model, he can probably get the info straight from that site, and if that doesn't work, he can try the suggestion I found.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I have an N600, and torrents download fine - unless I am trying to do so via a wireless connection and on my netbook with ubuntu installed (though I suspect this might be an issue with the netbook, not the router). But still, I'd try that first of all - make sure you're going via wired connection.

Secondly, check whether your forwarded ports are actually open to the internet with an open port checker service. Do the same the other way around - make sure you can open a connection to the outside world over your nominated torrent ports.

It might be worth your while to very temporarily set your torrenting machine as the DMZ host (if the N300 supports that) to check whether any manner of port forwarding is operating correctly.