As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Dark Souls/Demon's Souls. A veritable buffet of souls!

1939495969799»

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote:
    Minerva_SC wrote:
    how does the forest covenant work? do you have to be in the forest to be summoned? do you need to be human?

You get a ring that will summon you if there is any forest invaders, no need for being human or inside the forest, only requirement is - Remember to equip the ring! I got summoned 7 times in a few hours, but reading what Aegeri and others say, I consider myself lucky.

What happens if you get summoned by the forest and die?

If you die during an invasion, you "respawn" at the bonfire next to the forest, if you win, you get teleported back to where you were before Alvina summoned you.
    I mean do you gain anything for winning or loose anything for loosing?

Your souls are on the line either way. They all go to the victor.
    Forest Hunters get a brokenly good PvP ring if they kill 3 people.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    Do I upgrade to Chaos Blade or Quelaag's Fury Sword???

If you intend to actually use either, go with the Fury Sword

Chaos Blade is kind of shitty

+1 for Quelaag's Furysword, I love that weapon and the animation is cool, getting Chaos Blade in New Game+ though.

Petrus of Thorolund spoilers
    That guy is a serious prick, leaving his sister to die, and when I rescue her, he kills her anyway? Fuck that guy.
    I wondered what the absolution guy was talking about him for, now I know.
    Yeah. That little fag is going to hell when I rescue Rhea. I am running the risk of having him assassinate her, but apparently there is some extra dialogue if you murder him after you talk to her and just before he assassinates her. I already wanted to kill him after Lautrec spilled the beans on his cowardice and then turns into a total creeper when you confront him about it. I'm going to back stab him nice and slow.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote:

If you die during an invasion, you "respawn" at the bonfire next to the forest, if you win, you get teleported back to where you were before Alvina summoned you.

Actually it's just the last bonfire you rested at. You don't have to be in the forest to be summoned, merely wearing the ring and that's all there is to it. Then you're just at the mercy of your connection.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Sirialis wrote:
    Minerva_SC wrote:
    how does the forest covenant work? do you have to be in the forest to be summoned? do you need to be human?

You get a ring that will summon you if there is any forest invaders, no need for being human or inside the forest, only requirement is - Remember to equip the ring! I got summoned 7 times in a few hours, but reading what Aegeri and others say, I consider myself lucky.

I mean do you gain anything for winning or loose anything for loosing?

I got Blue Titanite Chunks for winning, and after a few kills Alvina will give you some items (Fog Ring) and I dont think I lost anything by losing.

EDIT. I thought it reset your bonfire to the forest, seems I was wrong.

Also, I never heard Alvina talk about Sif as I've heard she will at a point, what does she say?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    There is no downside to losing an invasion except for going back to the last bonfire you used.

• Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    So I basically refuse to go through the New Londo Ruins. Fuck the ghosts, fuck grinding to get souls to even touch the ghosts, and fuck the other option of being cursed to engage them.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Being cursed isn't really a big deal though at that point in the game.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    If you don't mind dying a whole lot, you can simply bum rush it to the dude with the key so you can just unflood the city. Ghosts react ridiculously slowly.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Graviija wrote:
    So I basically refuse to go through the New Londo Ruins. Fuck the ghosts, fuck grinding to get souls to even touch the ghosts, and fuck the other option of being cursed to engage them.

When you get the weapon needed for killing the ghosts, you will say fuck that too, because its range is piss poor, and the ghost have an instakill close range attack :)

I got a few Souvenir of Reprisals from the Harpy / Bird head dudes in Priscilla's area, fuck they are unsettling and creepy.

Is there any mob that drops Sunlight Medallions?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    If you do curse yourself, just two hand your best weapon. The ghosts are extremely fragile and get stun lock once you start attacking them.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote:
    Probably going to get botp'd, but before we close out the thread:

What is the best progression path through the game? Currently I've:
    Rung the first bell, but not the 2nd.
    Killed Butterfly, Gaping Dragon, Capra, Gargoyles, Titanite Demon. Hydra in Darkroot.
    So at this point after I kill Queelag do I go to the Asylum, Sen's or finish Darkroot?

Re: Armor upgrades. What's the point? Is it worth it to pump mats and souls into armor early on or do you just get better armor later that makes it pointless?

Re: Covenants and PvP.
    I know ppl are trying to join Darkwraith for the buyable Red Eye orbs. However, why not Blade of the Darkmoon? Don't you get one stone from them for essentially unlimited invasions? Plus aren't some of the invasions secret ones that don't notify the host?

Is Darkmoon too far in the game to be useful as a PvP covenant?
    I really want to make my 2nd character a pvp-character, and all my research is being done on the character I'm playing now, but there's some stuff that I just have to ask about.

Lastly, at about SL60, if I want to be summoned to fight a boss, where should I be hanging out? I need 3-4 more boss kills as a phantom to join the Sunlight Covenant
    Catacombs -> Asylum -> Quelaag -> Sen's would make the most sense, and you'll need a ring from the Catacombs to join Darkmoon.

You get a couple of fully upgraded armours in the game that make an early investment a little pointless; Havel's, Stone and Gold Trimmed off the top of my head. Upgrading your favourite generic set (one that needs regular titanite) is up to you, but save any Twinkling gear for NG+.
    After 10 humanity you get an unlimited invasion orb from the Darkwraiths. Darkmoon is fine but the character needs to have a sin. The secret invasions are only in Anor Londo and don't create fog gates, so they can just proceed to the boss and kick you out of their world (I believe, hasn't triggered for me yet). Darkmoon is pretty ideally situated for PvP, there's a lot going on in Anor Londo and people tend to spend a fair bit of time in the Archives.

Anor Londo is a good place to go for level 60 multi shenanigans.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    I must of been mad lucky in new londo. Ghosts were dropping the item to attack ghosts like candy. I had like, 18 of them after I got out of the area, and I only ended up using 3.

I think I'm gonna just level my character to 30/40. Everyone I invade has as god if not better shit than me, so it kind of kills the point of low level pvp in my opinion. ~_~

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Minerva_SC wrote:
    I must of been mad lucky in new londo. Ghosts were dropping the item to attack ghosts like candy. I had like, 18 of them after I got out of the area, and I only ended up using 3.

I think I'm gonna just level my character to 30/40. Everyone I invade has as god if not better shit than me, so it kind of kills the point of low level pvp in my opinion. ~_~

You got the item curse thing from Ghosts? I've cleared that area 3 times and all I got was 2 Jagged Ghost Edges.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Shen wrote:
    Hiryu02 wrote:
    After 10 humanity you get an unlimited invasion orb from the Darkwraiths. Darkmoon is fine but the character needs to have a sin. The secret invasions are only in Anor Londo and don't create fog gates, so they can just proceed to the boss and kick you out of their world (I believe, hasn't triggered for me yet). Darkmoon is pretty ideally situated for PvP, there's a lot going on in Anor Londo and people tend to spend a fair bit of time in the Archives.

Anor Londo is a good place to go for level 60 multi shenanigans.

Did you mean DarkWRAITH?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Hiryu02 wrote:
    Did you mean DarkWRAITH?

Erm, the quote said Darkmoon so I went with that. Darkwraith is only a dungeon further, but it's behind one of the more obnoxious bosses in the game. Don't forget the higher you go the wider your invasion level becomes, and there's a fair few people in NG+ now.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Shen wrote:
    Hiryu02 wrote:
    Did you mean DarkWRAITH?

Erm, the quote said Darkmoon so I went with that. Darkwraith is only a dungeon further, but it's behind one of the more obnoxious bosses in the game. Don't forget the higher you go the wider your invasion level becomes, and there's a fair few people in NG+ now.

Sorry, I was just a bit confused by your wording, it sounded like Darkmoon was OK, but it had additional conditions whereas Darkwraith just gives you a unlimited invasion with less conditions. Then you added that Darkmoon was ideal for PvP. so I was like ummm...so which one again?

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Darkmoon is basically everything you want from Darkwraith anyway

Except for the special fist weapon I guess

But basically everyone at higher levels is going to have some sin, and you get the added bonus of a Forest Covenant-esque gank ring for Anor Londo

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Just beat Ornstein and Smough at level 35, Smough as last, most tense boss fight so far.

Armor of Favor get :)

EDIT - Whoops new thread.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Okay, considering rerolling a third time because man, fuck Thief.

What class is the most FUN to play?

EDIT - Dang, sorry.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Class doesn't mean shit. It's just your starting stat allocation and items.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Pretty much

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    bficky wrote:
    @bfickey I'd say to buy that special key from the first blacksmith for 20k souls to open glowing door in Darkroot Garden. Then farm the piss out of that first section past the door. All the souls you could ever want. 7k for a couple of minutes of running around.

Hmm... that sounds interesting, but I won't get demolished going there this early? Especially if I'm still rocking soul arrows and a shitty hand axe?

Slippy, dude, this rocks.

I used my 28k souls to level up a few times, then I bought the key. Went below the blacksmith and killed the guard. Entered the garden, soul arrow'd the trees, then did the trick a few times. Worked really well. Probably ran through it 10 or so times, then took my massive amount of souls and:

bought a bow and arrows, proceeded to get the drake sword, which is a massive upgrade over my previous weapon, even at this point
    upgraded a whole bunch of stats (STR to 16, DEX to 14, END to carry the drake, VIT, INT x3, ATT x2)
    bought heavy soul arrow and upgraded my flame to +3

Now I don't feel (as) helpless anymore, and I have souls to play/experiment with. Thanks a million.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Play cleric, get miracles and pyromancy

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    So I beat the last part of Sen's Fortress. Wasted all my poison arrows killing the wrong fucking golem. I killed the boulder dropper, not the bomb tosser. Found the fireplace, kindled it. Got the fatty chest/leg armor and got the key to the cage. Went to the boss's doorway, summoned a dude or two. Decided to go up the stairs and kill that annoying bomb tosser first, then we took care of iron golem.

...Wow. I didn't even need him. He was easy as fuck for a melee. Just run into legs and apply spear.

So I got to Anor Londo.
    Well. I found the fucking white gargoyles to be a shit ton harder than the part with the two Silver Knight archers. Lost 20k souls because of the fucking gargs. For the archers, I just ran like hell and bumrushed the right one, then got the left one. Wasn't really that hard.

Funnily enough, this area made me realize how piss easy it is to parry a sword-using Silver/Black knight. They're a non-issue, for the most part. Got Havel's armor and his mallet. Leveled up some and went "lol no" at the Titanite Demon. I assume there's nothing valuable in that room. I don't have any humanity left to improve the bonfire. :( Next time I pick up the game I'm gonna kill the guy who killed my Firekeeper.

Oh, and in that long bridge leading to the first mini-Gargoyle? A blue phantom invaded me (Stupid forest covenant bug!). It was some dude in robes who tried to cheese out pyromancy by circlestrafing me to breathe fire on me. That shit didn't work at all. I led him to the circular path around the tower so I could get away from the Gargoyle. We circled each other. I'd stop long enough for him to try and use fire on me (It did so little damage that I could afford to use a flask despite his efforts), so I could quickly get around him and get one good backstab on him. A few pokes later and he was down.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Beaten....whew...gotta say since this came out i have not been able to do anything at home except play the game, and while the last few levels seemed to be a little unbalanced i think thats just because i got good at dealing with all the enemies through constant practise. if i stop playing it for a week or two and come back, ill probably have trouble with the first few monsters.

Maybe now i can clean my apartment before Batman comes out tuesday.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I'm just about to the end and overall I've loved this game but there's such a drastic decrease in quality in the last few levels that it makes me wish they just hadn't been there. Just too many frustrating gimmicks without the polish or atmosphere of the earlier stuff. Lost Izalith in particular feels like a romhack, it's ridiculously out of place in this franchise.

• Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Hoooollllyyy fuuuuck. I have been stuck on Ornstein & Smough for the last 10 hours. I was about to die and then someone kindled my bonfire. That last potion let me kill those fuckerrrssssssssssssssss;lsadkjfa;lw ekntg;alkgn;sdlrkn g;sdlrkgn aer'l kgnawer'l gknasr'lgkbnars'l kgnsera'lknsaer' lknrtes'lkbds n

my controller battery just died too

Lingxor on
This discussion has been closed.