Options

NYCC: Ruder, angrier, and in more of a rush than SDCC

DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Graphic Violence
The 6th annual New York Comic-Con (now with a side of New York Anime Fest) will kick off at the end of next week. I figured I'd start a thread for it, so we can post in anticipation now, and with convention-derived news next week.

Apparently, there were 96,000 people in attendance last year? That sounds about right, because it was cramped as hell. It was OK on Friday, but man, I had to squeeze past people all the time on Saturday. Plus, they ran out of convention guides! I've never been to a convention where that happened! This year, the convention will start on Thursday, and only those who bought a VIP or a 4-day passe will be allowed in on Thursday. I expect Saturday to be just as crowded as it was last year, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to at least nose around the exhibit hall on Thursday without being bludgeoned by someone's oversized backpack every ten minutes.

I'm pretty excited, you guys.

Delduwath on

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    I'll be there on Thursday and then probably Saturday or Sunday. I'm hoping to get my Absolute Dark Knight signed by Frank Miller.

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    It's my first comic con, woooooooo

Don't even know who's going to be there, I should probably do more research. Except I know like Mark Hammil is.

I think Capcom is gonna have a booth, can't wait to play UMvC3 and possibly SFxT

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I am planning on being there Friday afternoon because that is the only time I can make it. I am also planning to go to the iFanboy party because of the DJs.

• Options
    Last year, Jamie McKelvie was at his table for almost the entire convention, and drew me an amazing Loki head sketch (for free).

This year, Jamie McKelvie will not necessarily be at his table at all times, will charge for sketches, and is taking orders for sketches ahead of time (which presumably means that there will be some max number of sketches, after which he won't honor any more requests). Details are here: http://mckelvie.tumblr.com/post/11279325948/nycc-sketch-list-schedule

I'm of mixed feelings, here. On the one hand, I loved that last year I was able to get great sketches from great artists (McKelvie, Scott Wegener, Ryan Dunlavey) for free, while your Leinil Yus and your Olivier Coipels were charging hundreds of dollars for sketches, and I'm sad that I won't be able to do that this year (at least, with McKelvie). On the other hand, I'm really glad that he's doing well enough, and gaining enough recognition, that he anticipates being so busy with sketch requests. I'm kind of undecided on whether or not I want a sketch from McKelvie this year. (The answer is almost certainly "yes".)

For the record, I was thinking of asking him to draw Man-Thing. I think he does a very good job with faces, and for some reason I was really amused by the thought of asking him to draw something with an almost non-existent face.

• Options
    I just sent a followup email for a commission from McKelvie (Guess who it's of).

I also just got my receipt. I will be there on Friday afternoon. So any assassins looking for me can find me there or at that iFanboy party that night.

• Options
    Alright, fuck it, I sent him a sketch request. Changed my mind on the character, too: full-body sketch of the New 52 OMAC.

• Options
    I am so bad at this that the idea of getting a free sketch, let alone that I have a couple, is mind-blowing.

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    I bought some of the Phonogram art from Jamie last year but at that time he seemed too busy to do me a commission (I wanted a couple of the characters from Suburban Glamour). :( Maybe next year!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/conventions-15/nycc-2011-exclusive---transformers-prime-special-edition-collectors-set-173516/

just like San Diego had an exclusive release of a Transformers Prime toy before they're officially out, NY is having a special set, this time two specially recolored transformers, and a couple of human miniature figures. Bumblebee looks like a taxi, and Arcee is in pink and white, like the original.

• Options
    Generally speaking, I hate recolors, but that taxi-Bumblebee looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll pick this up.

(Arcee looks really awkward, though. Those are some shellformer arms right there.)

• Options
    I have a blank variant of Daredevil #1 that I'm going to ask Paolo Rivera to draw on. Maybe a few other artists, too.

• Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    I'll be at NYCC as a guest this year. I have a few series out with Image, Green Wake and The Intrepids, as well as a new series Peter Panzerfaust coming in 2012. I'll have 2 signings, 10-11 on Saturday and 3-4 on Sunday. Other than that, I'll be enjoying the city, have never been to New York before. Oh, I'm also a guest at the Jim Hanley's Universe pre-NYCC signing party. Lots of awesome creators there.

• Options
    Excited to leave for New York tomorrow! Never been before, let alone a comic con.

You can bet your ass I'm going to stay up just so I can say "Big Apple, 3am"

So I noticed there are after-parties listed on the NYCC website, but I'm assuming that there are probably more, and better ones. Anyone know from experience, or planning on going to anything awesome? Crimsondude mentioned an iFanboy party

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well, that's the thing. There are a bunch of different types of people featured at the con. I assume that the main celebs will hide out in Chelsea or some nonsense place. It's times like that I wish my brother would exploit his celebrity contacts for my benefit. I went to the main hotel at Heroes Con the night of the auction where a bunch of comics folks were, especially during the art auction (which I will visit), but I know a bunch tweeted about being holed up working on sketches and such.

But this is New York. Might as well be another planet.

I guess it depends on how you define better. I haven't checked twitter or follow #nycc, but I know Chris Roberson was asking for bar suggestions. I'd hang out with him if he'd let me. I'm not quite sure exactly. If past experience is any indication, people will be tweeting like crazy. So I'll be following that hashtag, and I follow a bunch of comics people anyway. Otherwise, I'm not sure. I'm a deadass who doesn't go to parties or bars.

The iFanboy party is at 9pm on Friday, and Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie are guesting DJing. I will definitely be there for that.

zsti6a.jpg

Funny thing. I just packed my print of this scene. Matt Wilson (colorist) signed it in Charlotte, so I'm hoping to get Kieron and Jamie to sign that as well as my Singles Club trade.

EDIT:

C.B. Cebulski's NYCC Food Guide: http://www.eataku.com/

Anyone who happens to want to know, or in case they run into me or are hunting me for sport, and hasn't checked before, my Twitter avatar is a headshot of me.

Crimsondude on
  • Options

I can't tell you how strange it is for one to see a sentence like that about a place where one lives. Honestly, guys, we're no big deal: when we wake up, we put on our massive, gleaming skyscrapers; internationally-renowned cultural venues; and one of the economic centers of the world one leg at a time, just like everyone else.

Today I obtained a sketch of Man-Thing from Ryan Dunlavey (it is awesome) and a sketch of Galactus menacing Ego the Living Planet from Chris Giarrusso (it is also awesome). I'll put up photos after the convention's over.

They're showing the Locke & Key pilot tomorrow. I am so on top of that.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    give me that dunlavey sketch

• Options
    Hey Crimson, don't forget to ask the DJ to play Robyn.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I'm hoping I won't have to.

/so tired already, and I haven't even gotten through security.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Of course, what am I talking about

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Some reference in Phonogram my brain isn't getting

Just tweeted:
    FrankMillerInk I'm at #NYCC : Tonight (Oct-18, Friday) I'll be at the Union Square Barnes & Noble (33 E. 17th Street) for a panel & signing #HOLYFM

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Heading out in a bit for the train from Trenton. I really don't feel like carrying my poster tube around today, so here is hoping I still get awesome stuff tomorrow. I also hope they didn't sell out of the Rick Grimes exclusive figure at preview night.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    I mean that Gillen will not need prompting to put a Robyn track in, so I am talking madness

• Options
    Alrighty I'm excited. See you all there
    I'm not going to see you there
    I don't even know any of you

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Some reference in Phonogram my brain isn't getting

Just tweeted:
    FrankMillerInk I'm at #NYCC : Tonight (Oct-18, Friday) I'll be at the Union Square Barnes & Noble (33 E. 17th Street) for a panel & signing #HOLYFM

Walked by the Legendary booth yesterday and they said Miller's going to be doing a signing there Saturday at 4:30.

Futt Bucker on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote:

I can't tell you how strange it is for one to see a sentence like that about a place where one lives. Honestly, guys, we're no big deal: when we wake up, we put on our massive, gleaming skyscrapers; internationally-renowned cultural venues; and one of the economic centers of the world one leg at a time, just like everyone else.

This. I didn't get tickets since I wasn't supposed to be in town this year. Everyone going should soak it all in for me, if you want to know where to eat there are some great places along 9th between the 40s and 50s. Drinking, there are lots of places down lower west side and lower east side if you want to stick with the younger crowds/just out of college folk.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Poop. Rain is delaying my flight into La Guardia. This is God giving me the finger for making fun of the Balloon Fiesta always getting half rained out.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Siegfried wrote:
    Alrighty I'm excited. See you all there
    I'm not going to see you there
    I don't even know any of you

But we know you

• Options
    Seriously, fuck my life right now. I left my pass at home.

And i cant do anything about it im on this greyhound and i cant even scream or punch things fucking god dammit

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    Oh no :( Can you get a duplicate when you're there or anything, if you prove you are who you are?

• Options
    Oh, that sucks.

I had an interesting time. I only got to spend about an hour and a half and I am fucking beat from the travel and walking the con floor. I got to see most of the comics people I'd like to have seen but that's about it. I didn't even get to see a bunch of stuff. But I talked to Gillen and McKelvie, and some others. I got to tell Chris Claremont how much I appreciate his work, and got my picture taken with him. I look like a good, but when I get around to making it less than mutliple megabytes it'll be posted to twitter.

And, yes, I saw the Ms. Marvel booth babe at the Marvel set-up. Damn.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote:
    Heading out in a bit for the train from Trenton. I really don't feel like carrying my poster tube around today, so here is hoping I still get awesome stuff tomorrow. I also hope they didn't sell out of the Rick Grimes exclusive figure at preview night.

Pff, you're just gonna play UMvC3 the whole time you're at the con

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well Friday was fun. Blew all my cash, and met Neal Adams, Kevin Maguire, Jeff Lemire, Paul Levitz and Greg Capullo.

Turns out Paolo Rivera is charging $40 for a head sketch, so I went one row over to Chris G. and got badass Daredevil sketch from him for $1.

Seriously, if you want a sketch, go to Chris G.

EDIT: Also ran into this dude. I couldn't NOT take a picture with him
    liefeld.jpg

Futt Bucker on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Ohh, dear.

Every day he wakes up with that same optimism. Life can't ever get him down. Just look at that big ole' smile!

• Options
    He was being so nice! The dude ahead of me in his line (yes, he had a line) was asking for a Batman sketch and Liefeld had to say no because "he was backed up" with commissions. Then the guy pulled out his Youngblood hardcover and Rob told him "Oh, everyone who brings this gets a free Batman sketch."

• Options
    Man, today was exhausting.

I got a sketch of Dr. Dinosaur from Scott Wegener (he got so many requests for the character that he got tired of drawing him all the time, so to mix it up he drew mine wearing a steampunk get-up), and of Mr. Freeze by Dustin Nguyen. Can I just say, Dustin Nguyen is an amazing artist.

Checked out the Locke & Key pilot. It was really good, and I would love it if they got picked up. I wish so much content weren't squeezed into one episode, though; there was a lot of stuff in the comic that wasn't in the pilot.

• Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote:
    Man, today was exhausting.

I got a sketch of Dr. Dinosaur from Scott Wegener (he got so many requests for the character that he got tired of drawing him all the time, so to mix it up he drew mine wearing a steampunk get-up), and of Mr. Freeze by Dustin Nguyen. Can I just say, Dustin Nguyen is an amazing artist.

Checked out the Locke & Key pilot. It was really good, and I would love it if they got picked up. I wish so much content weren't squeezed into one episode, though; there was a lot of stuff in the comic that wasn't in the pilot.

Is there any chance of it being picked up at this point? Or is it pretty much dead?

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    Me with Chris Claremont at #nycc after telling him he is why Ms. Marvel is my fave comics character. http://t.co/KUD9cr5z

Dear God, I didn't (couldn't) realize it looked that bad when the guy who took it showed me the photo and then asked if I wanted him to take another. Naaah ...

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Y'know, I always figured Claremont for a baseball cap and Hawaiian shirt kind of guy.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I might not care for Liefield's new art but he does always seem to be nice and enthusiastic.

And yeah, everyone needs a Chris G. sketch. He is the best (Futt was DD drawn facing away from the page?)

• Options
    TexiKen wrote:
    I might not care for Liefield's new art but he does always seem to be nice and enthusiastic.

And yeah, everyone needs a Chris G. sketch. He is the best (Futt was DD drawn facing away from the page?)

Unfortunately not. I probably should have asked him to do that.