As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] Be advised

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    People bitching about how hard it is to fly choppas need to play desert combat.

That shit will make you a man.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Anyone playing the beta on a GTX 200 series? I'm wondering if my 280 will handle it, or if it's worth it to start looking at a newer DX11 card.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote:
    Anyone playing the beta on a GTX 200 series? I'm wondering if my 280 will handle it, or if it's worth it to start looking at a newer DX11 card.
    I am, but I'm so massively CPU bound that I really can't comment on how well it will. I doubt it'll be able to handle above medium though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Stationary AA guns work fine, the problem is that their range is much much shorter than the mobile AA emplacements. Even though you see their tracers go all the way to the other side of the map, the truth is that their range is pretty much only near the deployment area.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    So do I play this on its last day, getting my first real taste of Caspian, or do I take advantage of the last day of Double XP in Red Orchestra 2. Decisions . . .

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    The jets in BF3, or the ones I've played around with in the beta, are much different than the ones in previous BF titles. Which was annoying because I was really fucking good in BF2.

How are they different than BF2? What you described seemed reasonably similar to me.

• Options
    So do I play this on its last day, getting my first real taste of Caspian, or do I take advantage of the last day of Double XP in Red Orchestra 2. Decisions . . .

Try something new vs. something you've played a bunch to grind some? Psssshhh. You know what must be done.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Brym wrote:
    The_Scarab wrote:
    The jets in BF3, or the ones I've played around with in the beta, are much different than the ones in previous BF titles. Which was annoying because I was really fucking good in BF2.

How are they different than BF2? What you described seemed reasonably similar to me.

Handling is much more stable. But most of the improvements are a result of the engine. Things fly smoother, have weight to their motion, have more dynamic movement through the air. Not to mention the other advantages that are simply improvements in BF3 the whole game, like draw distance and lighting. There may well be a lot of the same stuff under the hood, but in the context of the whole game they operate much differently.

Still utterly devastating, however. That remains unchanged. They will rape you and it will not be nice.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote:

Try something new vs. something you've played a bunch to grind some? Psssshhh. You know what must be done.

I shall play BF3 for at least a couple of hours tonight; I can not effectively drive or fly any vehicles, though, so you'll have to drive me around.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:
    I am, but I'm so massively CPU bound that I really can't comment on how well it will. I doubt it'll be able to handle above medium though

Hmm, guess I should start perusing newegg again then. I always hate diving back into the video card market if I haven't been keeping tabs on things for awhile.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Scarab I have no idea what you're talking about when you say Jets are super good against ground in this. They are useless against it with just the machine gun. A strafe putting a full belt of perfectly placed bullets barely even hurts armored vehicles (I'm pretty sure it's only like 25% max), and there's almost no splash so killing infantry is very rare. You're the only person i've heard say otherwise

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    I haven't been killed by a Jet once as infantry.

Guess I should play with better pilots.

Which reminds me: Are there random big explosions that go off around the map, or are those from other people? I rarely seem to get hurt by big explosions so I thought maybe they were an ambiance thing.

• Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    Scarab I have no idea what you're talking about when you say Jets are super good against ground in this. They are useless against it with just the machine gun. A strafe putting a full belt of perfectly placed bullets barely even hurts armored vehicles (I'm pretty sure it's only like 25% max), and there's almost no splash so killing infantry is very rare. You're the only person i've heard say otherwise

Most people are bad with air in battlefield games, so it usually takes a while before the general population recognizes that air is "good" (after seeing a few expert pilots dominate). So my instinct is to defer to Scarab. But we'll see once I have the chance to play a map with vehicles (stupid console beta).

• Options
    UEAKCrash wrote:

I shall play BF3 for at least a couple of hours tonight; I can not effectively drive or fly any vehicles, though, so you'll have to drive me around.

Good luck with that, I too am bad at the driving.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Brym wrote:
    The_Scarab wrote:

Handling is much more stable. But most of the improvements are a result of the engine. Things fly smoother, have weight to their motion, have more dynamic movement through the air. Not to mention the other advantages that are simply improvements in BF3 the whole game, like draw distance and lighting. There may well be a lot of the same stuff under the hood, but in the context of the whole game they operate much differently.

Still utterly devastating, however. That remains unchanged. They will rape you and it will not be nice.
    I wasn't quite sure with your first couple of comments but it appears you are serious about jets being "devastating." Is there some unlock that makes them good? Because right now the only thing they are good for is shooting down Helos and disabling other jets. The guns are worthless against anything else. I've killed like two guys on the ground despite getting nothing but hit indicators again and again on runs at ground targets. If I'm on the ground I completely ignore jets as they can do nothing too me. This is the polar opposite of BF2 where you often couldn't go into open space with a good pilot around. Sometimes I would forgo vehicles altogether if they had air dominance.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Fuck this. I've yet to play a good game of bf3 today because of dumbshit hackers doing that bullshit where they spawn you all in one place

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    There was one guy earlier who had Guided Missiles on his jet
    Basically you couldn't get in a tank without dying

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Brym wrote:

Most people are bad with air in battlefield games, so it usually takes a while before the general population recognizes that air is "good" (after seeing a few expert pilots dominate). So my instinct is to defer to Scarab. But we'll see once I have the chance to play a map with vehicles (stupid console beta).

Well I'd love to see some video or something showing otherwise, but right now it really seems like he's describing something totally different than everyone else. If he's right he needs to write up a giant tutorial or something, because i was pretty good with jets in BF2 and have spent a fair bit of time in these ones, and everything i've seen says 99% useless against ground until way down the unlock tree

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Turambar wrote:
    There was one guy earlier who had Guided Missiles on his jet
    Basically you couldn't get in a tank without dying

yeah i have a feeling it'll end up like this eventually, and it's why i'm worried about the vehicle unlocks. As infantry you're still on somewhat even footing without unlocked weapons, but vehicle unlocks look like they take you from useless to godlike.

It makes me think of kill streaks in COD, where those doing well just get more and more dominant over everyone else. Except now it takes many 10s of hours

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Smoke and keeping moving counters the guided missile. I've been dodging em all day.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote:

The helicopters in DC made my chest hair a shag carpet.....
    made from the pelts of noobs.

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I went 6-17 in a game of Metro earlier today, woof. At least 15 of my deaths were to the UMP. I lost it and took it out on some island-humping asshat in another server who went like 17-5 while his team died piecemeal at the first bomb points.

hemad.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Snipe snipers that are on the top of Antenna.

Get 350 marksman bonus, 50 headshot bonus, 100 down bonus.

Smoke rest of match.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    Swatting two choppers out of the sky in one round with a tank feels good.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    How do you guys use the IR sight? The little dot in the middle is the same color as everything else, I can spot enemies easily but actually getting the sight somewhere to hit them is very difficult

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    How do you guys use the IR sight? The little dot in the middle is the same color as everything else, I can spot enemies easily but actually getting the sight somewhere to hit them is very difficult

I just sorta instinctively know where the center of my screen is :p I can generally get it ballparked onto a bad guy and adjust it from there. As soon as I'm on target and see the green dot contrast super hard against the red/yellow bad guys I click.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Yeah doesn't seem to work for me, "ballparking it" while I get instantly killed because every weapon in this game does a billion damage.

Seems to work better just noscope spraying in full auto

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Swatting two choppers out of the sky in one round with a tank feels good.

Running in a room and getting a squadwipe medal with one shot of the 870 is orgasmic. Toss nade in to soften up, rush in and see people huddling in a corner trying to warm their bodies on the one healthpack on the floor. Knock Knock I say, who's there they say, BOOMOMGMETALINMYFACE, Third 4in1 I've gotten now.

Also stay golden Mk11 foregrip/silencer/holo stay golden...Thats the first thing (assuming it doesn't get nerfed) I'm going for come release. Its just so good, and to rush in and see three people with UMPs looking at you and go tappatappatappa and watch them all crumple makes me wet.

iRevert on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular

Its like that great BF 1942 video. Except he loses his jet. And he uses a lock on launcher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-wFI9vTqto

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    That BF1942 video is a classic. I love this series. I'm glad the tradition is carried on into BF3.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    I'm very annoyed by the fact that I'm one of the last people to load into caspian border every round. By the time I spawn I'm lucky if there is even a buggy left to jump into, sometimes I actually wait for one of the points to be taken and spawn there. And I have a beefy system with an SSD.

Seriously? I just bought an SSD to fix this issue...

It would help if they was a 10 or 20 second start time added after round end to keep people from taking a jeep solo and flooring out of the base to die in a bush.

• Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote:
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Brym wrote:
    The_Scarab wrote:

I wasn't quite sure with your first couple of comments but it appears you are serious about jets being "devastating." Is there some unlock that makes them good? Because right now the only thing they are good for is shooting down Helos and disabling other jets. The guns are worthless against anything else. I've killed like two guys on the ground despite getting nothing but hit indicators again and again on runs at ground targets. If I'm on the ground I completely ignore jets as they can do nothing too me. This is the polar opposite of BF2 where you often couldn't go into open space with a good pilot around. Sometimes I would forgo vehicles altogether if they had air dominance.

Jets eventually get i win missiles that 1 shot anything spotted on the ground.

sQwJu.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:

Hmm, guess I should start perusing newegg again then. I always hate diving back into the video card market if I haven't been keeping tabs on things for awhile.

You really should get a new card. I just upgraded from 2x GTx 280's in SLI and they would be on the verge of overheating after playing for more than 30 min which resulted in artifacts, and it was even worse with only one card enabled.

I just upgraded to the GTX 560 Ti, and I highly recommend it so far.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    My game runs fine on my 8800 GTX without spending a few hundred dollars on a new card so I would at least wait until it comes out before upgrading.

• Options
    Taranis wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:

You really should get a new card. I just upgraded from 2x GTx 280's in SLI and they would be on the verge of overheating after playing for more than 30 min which resulted in artifacts, and it was even worse with only one card enabled.

I just upgraded to the GTX 560 Ti, and I highly recommend it so far.

I did hear of a lot of people with 560Ti's getting weird artifact problems on Caspian. I had some issues until I tweaked some settings.

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote:

This 1000x this. If you held "W" you would flip it. You had to tap WASD as fast as a pro starcraft player to keep that baby upside down in their hangar.

I am glad that outside of the air to ground missiles that aircraft are ineffective against ground targets otherwise I could see some serious issues with them feeling WAY overpowered. Unlike BF2 they do not have to go back to their airbase to re-arm and can rain endless death.

I have an issue with the way dogfights go now, I feel like I have no issue keeping on someones tail and can destroy them with the two instant disable missiles or a quick burst of the gun, but the same goes for any half-decent pilot on my six. I can do all 11ty moves to evade them but unless I can get them to break from ground AA or infantry AA I am dead - flares no not break all missiles and only provide seconds of unlock. I feel like there is some balancing issues that need to be done to make flying in anyway fair to both the attacking or defending craft. At the moment it is just about who can get behind who first and if that defender has no unlocks, they are dead within seconds.

• Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote:
    choppers in BF2 could make a good map terrible to play on

Fixed that for you. Also could sub in things like weird server rules, with no vehicles, despite there being vehicles, or only Karkand, or a billion tickets, or a number of thing.

ken2.png
This discussion has been closed.