As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Homeland[sho] - She's not crazy, simply in love!

zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Season 2 trailer is here. I remember being frustrated at times last season, but no doubts I'll be watching you it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh_TPjZJCRc

Old:
Homeland is an American psychological thriller television series developed by Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa, based on the Israeli series Prisoners of War created by Gideon Raff. The series stars Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison, a CIA operations officer who has come to believe that an American Marine, who was held captive by Al-Qaeda as a prisoner of war, was turned by the enemy and now poses a significant risk to national security.

It has an excellent cast:

TCYUR.jpg

UGLOS.jpg

YL34Y.jpg

It had a very decent pilot with writing that I personally enjoyed and it screams 1 season wrap up goodness.
I don't expect it to be as good as Sleeper Cell, but I can easily see it becoming one of my favorite shows on TV.

You can watch the pilot on Showtime's official youtube channel here.

zeeny on

• [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Oh, hi Inara. Still looking hot I see.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i like how dick winters is evil now
    i don't like how the protagonist has psych issues and they may become the focus of some plotlines

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I didn't notice that it was Morena Baccarin in her first scene. Goes to show what I wasn't looking at..

I actually like Claire Daines's psych issues. It makes her character feel more real and less mary sue.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    my wife liked it but I wasn't impressed. The way the chick just latches onto the idea that he is a traitor out of no where is really off putting to me.

Carpy wrote:
    my wife liked it but I wasn't impressed. The way the chick just latches onto the idea that he is a traitor out of no where is really off putting to me.

It isn't really out of nowhere. It's a longshot intelligence-led lead from her time in the field. The plot works because she's nuts. She just can't let go of the idea that what she heard in the prison could be true after she hears that a POW is coming home.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The fact that Claire Danes is a complete goddamn train wreck of a human being (if not just flat out crazy and paranoid over nothing) is what I like about the show - it's more interesting than "spunky analyst who's totally right about the soldier but has a single token character flaw for 'complexity'". I can understand it being off-putting, but it works for me so far.

Captain Tragedy on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    i don't like how the protagonist has psych issues and they may become the focus of some plotlines

It kinda screws with my head to see an actor play the role of a really great dude, and then play the role of a bad dude.

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    The fact that Claire Danes is a complete goddamn train wreck of a human being (if not just flat out crazy and paranoid over nothing) is what I like about the show - it's more interesting than "spunky analyst who's totally right about the soldier but has a single token character flaw for 'complexity'". I can understand it being off-putting, but it works for me so far.

I loved it when she tried to come on to Saul out of desperation. It was a great scene.

• Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    She had good reason to believe he may be a trader because of intel she thought wasnt relevant nor true at the time turns out to ne of use when they discover the pow. I do hope that now she has some traction with her mentor that she isnt as insane as she was in the first episode though.

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh, WTF, you talk about how it has a great cast and you forget to mention the greatest member of the cast?

Prepare to die.

InigoMontoya1.jpg

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I watched the pilot because it was an interesting concept and I like the cast.

I have found the show itself to be excellent.

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    I haven't had a chance to watch this yet, but I hope at some point they're able to work Garret Dillahunt in as an Eastern European criminal/terrorist- for old time's sake.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote:

It isn't really out of nowhere. It's a longshot intelligence-led lead from her time in the field. The plot works because she's nuts. She just can't let go of the idea that what she heard in the prison could be true after she hears that a POW is coming home.

I guess i need to rewatch the intro then, i admit i was totally paying attention at the first scene. And I too think that the idea she is a massive trainwreck is far more interesting than what i was expecting going into the show.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Claire Danes as an actress but she is really pulling it off. I've only seen the first episode (is it on Mondays or Sundays?).

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    jefe414 wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Claire Danes as an actress but she is really pulling it off. I've only seen the first episode (is it on Mondays or Sundays?).

Sunday after Dexter (10/9c)

And since it is SHO probably several other times during the week.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I'm curious where they're going to go with the show. I can't see them making the guy actually a terrorist and go about doing terrorist stuff while evading capture/detection, given the current sociopolitical climate of the US.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I'm curious where they're going to go with the show. I can't see them making the guy actually a terrorist and go about doing terrorist stuff while evading capture/detection, given the current sociopolitical climate of the US.

i'm pretty sure they're gonna figure out a way to make him a sympathetic character

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Wait...

So V is off the air?

Also I have this OnDemand. Should I watch it y/n? Is it at all like Sleeper Cell?

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    This is quality stuff.

Since it's Showtime I was worried it'd be the same people that were behind Sleeper Cell. That show was awful.

Oh man.
    That harem chick is so toast. Carrie has no fucking idea how to keep her safe in the long run. Too bad; she's cute.

Excellent again.

Malkor wrote:
    Wait...

So V is off the air?

Also I have this OnDemand. Should I watch it y/n? Is it at all like Sleeper Cell?

It's not as good as Sleeper Cell, but if that's the criteria you should never watch TV again.
    Go for it and find out, it's an intriguing series with interesting characters and excellent acting.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Some people are divided on whether or not this is a show with a right or left-wing agenda.

Personally I think Carrie's paranoia is supposed to be a comment on how paranoid some parts of the world are right now but I think it's way too early to tell.

Oh and *spoilers*
    So much for Lynne.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    Lawrence O'Donnell *gag*

finnith wrote:
    Some people are divided on whether or not this is a show with a right or left-wing agenda.

Personally I think Carrie's paranoia is supposed to be a comment on how paranoid some parts of the world are right now but I think it's way too early to tell.

Oh and *spoilers*
    So much for Lynne.

Because every show has to have an agenda?

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Because the producers on Homeland have 24 in their previous experience listings. From what those same people say 24 was decidedly a right-wing show. I dunno though, I never actually watched it.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    Yes, but on the other side, Showtime is a channel that shows tits & dicks and it's an established fact that tits & dicks are strictly part of the left agenda, so, who knows!

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Henroid wrote:
    dlinfiniti wrote:

It kinda screws with my head to see an actor play the role of a really great dude, and then play the role of a bad dude.

Except he's not definitively bad. We don't know what he is yet.

Hoz wrote:
    Lawrence O'Donnell *gag*

Larry did great. You hush.

Hacksaw on
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    dlinfiniti wrote:

Except he's not definitively bad. We don't know what he is yet.

I realize you are right, but I'd be severely disappointed if they pull up a fairy tale on us and suddenly he's not the bad guy. I love how hard it is to dislike the character.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping he doesn't (potentially) stop being a terrorist based on the love of his son and daughter.

I'd have to legit turn the TV off if that happened.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    I kind of assumed its set up so that at some point during his homecoming, his view shifts so that he's only going through the motions of being `converted' so he can get inside and make the conspiracy fail, doing it all lone wolf style.

Season finale is Claire Danes finally convincing the department that he's a bad dude, then reviewing some shitty video footage and having a mad climactic rush to make sure the agents don't kill him based on her mistaken earlier conclusion.

edited October 2011
    Gosprey wrote:
    I kind of assumed its set up so that at some point during his homecoming, his view shifts so that he's only going through the motions of being `converted' so he can get inside and make the conspiracy fail, doing it all lone wolf style.

Season finale is Claire Danes finally convincing the department that he's a bad dude, then reviewing some shitty video footage and having a mad climactic rush to make sure the agents don't kill him based on her mistaken earlier conclusion.

My dream season finale is
    (not sure why I'm spoilering)
    Carrie completely losing the plot and shooting him in front of witnesses without having definite evidence of his future actions(in the setting and for the viewer), last scene she's getting cuffed. THE END. No season 2.

Edit: If it ends like you said, I'm coming for you......

zeeny on
  • GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    I have to say, this is the episode that sells me on the series. What in hell is Carrie playing at?

Gosprey wrote:
    I have to say, this is the episode that sells me on the series. What in hell is Carrie playing at?
    She got yanked from the case, so she's setting up a method of maintaining contact with Brody that she can potentially keep relatively anonymous.

Which is interesting, because I Want To Be A Field Agent Guy will be spying on her and may come up with Brody's terrorist plot info by accident. Either way it could end up with Carrie getting her goose cooked. I predict she seduces I Want To Be A Field Agent Guy at some point to "flip" him.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this show is quite uncomfortable to watch because it's so hard to sympathise with claire danes

obF2Wuw.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    only slightly on topic, but after watching Raging Bull I was able to watch movies with unlikeable protagonists.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    it's more that she just embarrasses herself and you can see it coming

obF2Wuw.png
    I love the Claire Danes character.

Is it bad that I spend the episodes trying to figure out which of the leads is the most mentally unstable?

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    It is so nice to see Morena permitted to portray human emotion again. Burn in hell, V.

Finally cleared ep 3 and 4 out of my DVR backlog and I'm good and hooked.