Options

Chulip: A Game of Kissing

GilderGilder Aw snapMacaroni PartyRegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
chulip-20050524005636305.jpg
That's right, it's Chulip, a game where you go around kissing people! Way back in 2002, this game got released in Japan. A while later, Natsume said they'd bring it over here. Well Natsume ended up being Natsume and we never got any real information on the game. In the end, we thought it was cancelled. But lo, a light from above came down and kissed us on the lips to bless us with this game!

The premise of the game is simple. You are poor and move to a new town with your father. In town, you meet the girl of your dreams and it is love at first sight. But alas, it is not to be. For you see, not only are you poor, but you are an inexperienced kisser. She will have none of this. So there is only one thing left to do: Make out with as many things as possible! A zombie girl? Check. An Onion lady down in the sewers? Check. A streetpost? Well I haven't actually kissed it yet but it has a face so I'll just say check. Will you be able to do it? Can you get lucky with as many people as possible to get some hot teenage loving? All signs point to yes!

Before the challenge of making out begins though, you must first actually find the game. Right now, it has an exclusive contract at EB/Gamestop for a few months and since this is a low-profile game, odds are you may have to order it online. Also, it is a blue-back game so if your PS2 can't play anything besides DVD games, you'll probably miss out on this strange and quirky game. But enough of that! More pictures!

chulip-20050524005700991.jpg
chulip-20050524005704631.jpg
chulip-20050524005641851.jpg
chulip-20050524005656710.jpg
img_2816212.html
chulip-20050524005648335.jpg
chulip-20050524005655741.jpg
chulip-20050524005702803.jpg
I don't think it actually says this anymore guys. Sorry. No SHINE GET! for us. Also, this is my first created topic. Be gentle.

Gilder on

• Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Japan is so weird.

And making out with a zombie sounds like a really stupid idea.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Agh i hate blue back games. They're so fucking loud and I'm afraid it's going to fuck my drive. I like my fatty PS2.

If see it I might pick it up. There are a ton of games I also want so it's doubtful.

I hate making decisions like this.

JJ on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It even uses Harvest Moon's dialogue font...

Well, call me interested, but we'll see.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Please let this be a budget title. Oh please. I really don't want to have to pay $50 for this.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Please let this be a budget title. Oh please. I really don't want to have to pay $50 for this.

Looks like MSRP is $29.95.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Has any Natsume game ever been expensive? I'm betting this is a definite $19.99.

Or not.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Nnnnnnnnnngh..... I just.... don't... know!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Would it help if I told you the game has movie posters near the theater that advertise the movie "The Fart Woman"?

Gilder on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gilder wrote: »

Would it help if I told you the game has movie posters near the theater that advertise the movie "The Fart Woman"?

Sold.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Sold.
    :-|

FreddyD on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This is sitting in my house, opened, waiting to be popped into the PS2. I just recently replaced my broken system with a slick sexy silver one after months and months, so the backlog is really getting in the way.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    We got promo items in with keychains of that main character makign a kissing face. (at gamestop.)

this screenshot is the exact keychain

i had NO idea what the hell it was for, thanks for this thread.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What's this issue about blue-back games?

I remember way back before the PS2 came out that media showed the discs as being blue-backed, like how all PS1 games were black-backed. But since the system also played DVDs, there was the announced potential for games to be on DVD discs as well.

Of course, once we got our system a year after launch, all the dozen games we picked up were DVD-based anyway, we kind of forgot that blue-backed discs existed until last October and we bought Ico used. I actually had to check for the Sony logo reflections in the car to make sure it wasn't a bootleg on a burned disc.

The game runs fine on our system, so what's up about blue-backed discs?

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Zephos wrote: »
    We got promo items in with keychains of that main character makign a kissing face. (at gamestop.)

I actually wanted one of those keychains but my gamestop was out. They only got enough for pre-orders and I got the last non-pre-ordered copy. I tried to reserve it too late.

I remember way back before the PS2 came out that media showed the discs as being blue-backed, like how all PS1 games were black-backed. But since the system also played DVDs, there was the announced potential for games to be on DVD discs as well.

Of course, once we got our system a year after launch, all the dozen games we picked up were DVD-based anyway, we kind of forgot that blue-backed discs existed until last October and we bought Ico used. I actually had to check for the Sony logo reflections in the car to make sure it wasn't a bootleg on a burned disc.

The issue is that when a PS2 is on its way out, blue-back games are the first to go. However, many people can have a PS2 unable to play them for quite a while before they begin to die and since almost nobody makes blue-backs anymore, it really wasn't too much of an issue. Also, like JJ said a few posts back, blue-back games are loud as hell so that's also an annoyance.

Gilder on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zephos wrote: »

I actually wanted one of those keychains but my gamestop was out. They only got enough for pre-orders and I got the last non-pre-ordered copy. I tried to reserve it too late.

The issue is that when a PS2 is on its way out, blue-back games are the first to go. However, many people can have a PS2 unable to play them for quite a while before they begin to die and since almost nobody makes blue-backs anymore, it really wasn't too much of an issue. Also, like JJ said a few posts back, blue-back games are loud as hell so that's also an annoyance.

I had to send my PS2 in to Sony about 6 months ago so I could get a unit that played blue-back games. I never had the slightest problem with the DVD games, so I was a little confused at the time. I don't thing mine was a launch system, but it was pretty close. Also wouldn't play Rhapsody... I actually ended up buying a used PSX so I could enjoy that little trip to early Nippon Ichi goodness.

Anyway, back to the game at hand, yes Japan is weird.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Has anyone played this yet? I mean, actually put it into their Playstation 2 and spent serious time with it. I bought the game but after reading some of the reviews (which claim that it's almost as unforgiving as Heart of Darkness or Dragon's Lair) I'm actually a little afraid to play it!

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Well I've mostly been finishing odd jobs in Rogue Galaxy and playing Ar Tonelico but I have played a bit of this. I'm trying to gather up the pieces of the love letter set now. My only real complaints are the load times because while it's fine for going through area, looking down a hole shouldn't take so long, and that you walk very slowly. I haven't gotten the item for running yet, but I think I can. Oh, and text scrolls way too slowly.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oh, and text scrolls way too slowly.

Which makes me think of Ar Tonelico's text options... "Lazy" or "Bam".

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oh, and text scrolls way too slowly.

Which makes me think of Ar Tonelico's text options... "Lazy" or "Bam".

Yeah, I had a laugh when I saw that. It basically describes any option anyone needs. Slow or instant. No inbetween. The problem with Chulip is that pressing X won't make everything show up. They don't say much more than 3 lines at a time but some of the conversations can be really long. Like the conversation at the park with the Mr. Saturn-ish guy and Mr. Yamada the telephone pole. I died riding the slide and had to sit through it all again. It just took way too long.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I just got my pre-order this afternoon. No keychain though. So yeah its going to be awhile to wait and play this game, but boy I am looign forward to it. Maybe I will bump this up so I can play it.

Katchem_ash on