Options

Arcade owner/enthusiast thread

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Also, a bowling arcade near here has a Simpsons arcade cabinet. I've considered making an offer.
    (If you want to find arcades, check bowling alleys. Seriously.)

There's a local bowling alley that still has a Street Fighter Alpha 2 machine hanging around. The thing doesn't get repaired, I can't imagine that they make a whole lot off of it anymore. I'm tempted to see how much they want for it and then replace the parts myself. But alas, no room.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote:
    If I could own one cabinet, I'd probably just put DoDonPachi on it. Goodness gracious I love that game more than I should.
    If I could only pick one, I think I'd be unable to choose anything other than Ketsui.

But between many of CAVE's and Raizing's releases, my ass would be broke and have no damned room for all of those cabs. The last time I was browsing around for cabs it looked like it would be around $2300 for one (including an EGRET III) sans PCB.

It doesn't help that the genre isn't/wasn't popular in the States, and your average person dislikes getting their ass kicked that hard :lol:

Would throwing a 360 into a Naomi cabinet be an acceptable solution?

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I have a Golden Axe cabinet. Posted a few pics back when we had a pick-up thread (edit: pic here now). It's certainly not the best brawler (I'd take TMNT over it any day) but it has a lot of nostalgic value to me.
    goldenaxe.jpg

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Used to play a lot of Raiden between classes in college.

Then they shut down the arcade.

Raiden is always better on a cabinet. Wish I had one.

RT800 on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    i'd sacrifice my first born for a neo-geo cab.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Just thought of another one. Either of the Dungeons and Dragons cabinets. With Dragon's Crown coming out for the PS3/PSV next year, I should have that fantasy beat-em-up itch scratched, but since we're talking arcade cabinets, D&D all the way.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about building a mini tabletop machine for my basement gameroom. I have an extra PC with a pretty small motherboard that would fit the project well and I don't mind picking up a few arcade compilations to play on it or maybe Gametap if that's still a thing. I just need to find a monitor and I'd have everything to start.

The only issue I have is that the stick I'd like to use (because I already have it and it was cheap) is the Wireless Tekken stick for the 360. I have the 360 to PC dongle and it works great - but I really don't want to be popping out the Tekken stick repeatedly to drop AA batteries in. Is there any easy way to wire it for some form of power to avoid this?

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    I wish I had a cabinet for DJ Max so hard that I'm highly considering buying another PSP, an amp, speakers, and a 16:9 LCD; padhacking the buttons; and building a mini-cab just for DJ Max portable.

I've seen several of these done. How big are you thinking? Like a 1.5' little bartop, or down to a 1' or less micro-cab, or even like a 3' half-sized full cabinet?

As much as I'd love to do a 3'er I think a bartop would likely be my best bet. The more I think about it, the more I want to do it. . . If I do I'll be sure to make a thread with lots of pictures.

It wouldn't be difficult. I've had similar thoughts in my head, and honestly, you could do one for under $200 and no wiring with a PSP Go. Get a wireless PS3 arcade stick, grab an old TV or something, slap together a little case out of some decent budget material, done. It helps that Gos run like $75-100 on Ebay.

However you do it, be sure to post details. I've been toying with the idea of building an SNES mini-cab, but I've got to admit, the idea of "upscaling" a handheld is sticking in my head hard.

wait, you can sync ps3 controllers to the PSP?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    I have a Golden Axe cabinet. Posted a few pics back when we had a pick-up thread (edit: pic here now). It's certainly not the best brawler (I'd take TMNT over it any day) but it has a lot of nostalgic value to me.
    goldenaxe.jpg

That looks like it's in really good shape! What kind of work have you done on it?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    I wish I had a cabinet for DJ Max so hard that I'm highly considering buying another PSP, an amp, speakers, and a 16:9 LCD; padhacking the buttons; and building a mini-cab just for DJ Max portable.

I've seen several of these done. How big are you thinking? Like a 1.5' little bartop, or down to a 1' or less micro-cab, or even like a 3' half-sized full cabinet?

As much as I'd love to do a 3'er I think a bartop would likely be my best bet. The more I think about it, the more I want to do it. . . If I do I'll be sure to make a thread with lots of pictures.

It wouldn't be difficult. I've had similar thoughts in my head, and honestly, you could do one for under $200 and no wiring with a PSP Go. Get a wireless PS3 arcade stick, grab an old TV or something, slap together a little case out of some decent budget material, done. It helps that Gos run like $75-100 on Ebay.

However you do it, be sure to post details. I've been toying with the idea of building an SNES mini-cab, but I've got to admit, the idea of "upscaling" a handheld is sticking in my head hard.

wait, you can sync ps3 controllers to the PSP?

PSPGo only - it has Bluetooth.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I'd love to own Alien vs. Predator. Especially since there's no official way to play the game other than to have the cabinet.
    alien-predator.jpg

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    If I had money and space, I would scour the Earth for Taito's Space Gun and Ghost N Goblins.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I've always wanted to own some arcade games, and plan to one day when we have room. If I can only have one, it'd be Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. I played a lot of arcade games back in the day, but that one the most. I was about 14 or 15, and would go to the mall at least once a week and play it for a couple of hours. I actually got really good. Beyond that I would like a MK1 and MK2 cabinet, then probably a Neo Geo cabinet. I have a feeling I'd be lucky to get one cabinet, though.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I know 2 people who built their own MAME cabinets which are awesome, I'd like to own a cabinet but I know a few people who have single game cabinets and the novelty wears off after about one weekend then you're bored and they're just sitting there so I'd go the MAME route for sure and just build it myself.

Also the space isn't really an issue, not sure what that's a stopping point for some of you, a standard Street Fighter II cabinet isn't overly huge, it has a smaller footprint than a refrigerator.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, I personally have a wife that would cringe at the thought of an arcade cabinet sitting anywhere that guests could see it.

And MAME talk is probably against the rules.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    My house would be complete with a Samurai Showdown cabinet.

Or Aliens vs. Predator.

Or that crazy Neo-Geo game that was like the Tron disc game only it was played on a beach. We had one when I worked at Pizza Hut in high school and that was our nightly closing ritual.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Windjammers? Because I loved that game.

• Options
    DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    I have a wishlist, working on clearing up the space and then tracking down all the ones I want.

Those two cabs in the first post are real nice, great looking condition too. That Silent Scope pic is a good one :)

[ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Although I cannot take credit for it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K56SljNu478&feature=youtu.be This belongs to one of my friends. It's about 5:00 long or so but the first two minutes are absolutely worth it. I feel like a little kid whenever I go over to his house :)

Why has no-one commented on this video? It's quite possibly one of the best things I have ever seen and I'm shockingly jealous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K56SljNu478

(posting inline so more people can enjoy the awesome)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    thetobbythetobby Registered User regular
    I envy the americans and Japanese.
    In japan they still have big arkade centers with 4stories. ( I visited last year)
    In Us some oldschool still exist?

We Europeans at least to my knowledge has no history whatsoever with arkade games:(

• Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    thetobby wrote:
    In japan they still have big arkade centers with 4stories. ( I visited last year)

We Europeans at least to my knowledge has no history whatsoever with arkade games:(

Arcades in the US are usually a treasure to find, and most are more like bars.

• Options
    thetobbythetobby Registered User regular
    thetobby wrote:

Arcades in the US are usually a treasure to find, and most are more like bars.

I guess Japan is the last utopia then.

07396_005.jpg
    I spent around 2hours in this one last year:)

it's epic

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, arcades haven't been relevant to the American videogame psyche since the 90s (maybe early 00s if you want to be generous). Last I went to a decent-sized arcade (a Gameworks), you get to spend like a dollar/credit for games that are decade(s) old and you've played to death already. For a child of the 80s, it's just a little bit sad.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote:
    Why has no-one commented on this video? It's quite possibly one of the best things I have ever seen and I'm shockingly jealous:

(posting inline so more people can enjoy the awesome)

oh my god, thats ridiculous.

also, a really nice retro arcade/used and rare game store opened up here recently and man it is the best. theyve got 10 pinball tables, and a bunch of sweet arcade cabinets. going up there and playing some street fighter or twilight zone pinball or something never fails to put a smile on my face.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote:
    Yeah, arcades haven't been relevant to the American videogame psyche since the 90s (maybe early 00s if you want to be generous). Last I went to a decent-sized arcade (a Gameworks), you get to spend like a dollar/credit for games that are decade(s) old and you've played to death already. For a child of the 80s, it's just a little bit sad.

There are still a fair number of more child-oriented arcades in the US - Chuck E Cheese and similar knockoffs. The way to do a Gameworks is to go on one of their unlimited play nights. Right now that's Thursdays, when $10 gets you an unlimited play card for all non-ticket producing games from 5pm until closing time (1am at the one near me).

That said, I am hugely fortunate to have an incredible arcade near me in the western burbs of Chicago. I honestly had no idea until I read Ready Player One and googled arcades in the area in the hopes of finding something decent. Galloping Ghost in Brookfield went way beyond my expectations. Look them up, and then be jealous :p

Arcade machines of my own aren't an option in our current condo. Once we upgrade to a house though, I plan to get 1-2. I'd really like Timekillers for pure nostalgia reasons, even though it probably doesn't hold up as a terribly good game. Otherwise my top choices would be old classics: Tron, the original Star Wars, or a Galaga/Ms Pac Man/Pac Man type unit. Anything with Galaga really. 6 player X-men would be a blast if there was enough space.

• Options
    I've been to Dave and Busters a couple of times, but for the most part their games kinda suck. They're pretty much all racing games and gun games.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I've been to Dave and Busters a couple of times, but for the most part their games kinda suck. They're pretty much all racing games and gun games.

Last I knew they were the nearest place that had a Tesla pod (Chicago). I think they took the ones out of Indy. I know that isn't -traditional- arcade game fare, but it was and is my dream to fully play Battletech on full realism.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    goldenaxe.jpg

That looks like it's in really good shape! What kind of work have you done on it?

It's not in as good of shape as the photo makes it out to be. The controls work perfect but a previous owner spilled something and it got under the plastic and stained the control diagrams. The coin slot doesn't work, so to add credits you have to open the coin slot and flick a catch.

Unfortunately, the background on stage 2 is glitched and I need to get someone to fix it. I have no clue where to begin. It's still playable though.

The sides aren't as nice looking as the front. It's a conversion cabinet and used to be an Asteroids machine, so it still has that design. I kind of like it though..... Gives it character. There are Golden Axe decals on there but they're damaged.

I did manage to replace the busted lock on the back though. That sounds trivial but without a lock the back panel would fall off.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    The only decent arcade I've been to was Gameworks in Chicago which was several stories and served alcohol.
    http://www.gameworks.com/

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    The coin slot doesn't work, so to add credits you have to open the coin slot and flick a catch.
    Replace it?

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Ketar wrote:
    Zxerol wrote:

There are still a fair number of more child-oriented arcades in the US - Chuck E Cheese and similar knockoffs. The way to do a Gameworks is to go on one of their unlimited play nights. Right now that's Thursdays, when $10 gets you an unlimited play card for all non-ticket producing games from 5pm until closing time (1am at the one near me).

That said, I am hugely fortunate to have an incredible arcade near me in the western burbs of Chicago. I honestly had no idea until I read Ready Player One and googled arcades in the area in the hopes of finding something decent. Galloping Ghost in Brookfield went way beyond my expectations. Look them up, and then be jealous :p

Arcade machines of my own aren't an option in our current condo. Once we upgrade to a house though, I plan to get 1-2. I'd really like Timekillers for pure nostalgia reasons, even though it probably doesn't hold up as a terribly good game. Otherwise my top choices would be old classics: Tron, the original Star Wars, or a Galaga/Ms Pac Man/Pac Man type unit. Anything with Galaga really. 6 player X-men would be a blast if there was enough space.

I found out about Galloping Ghost from either kotaku or joystiq. I thought it was some silly targeted advertising at first i.e PLAY GAMES IN <CITY NEAR YOU>. Its like 20 minutes from my house and awesome.

I have a supergun at home, basically all of the wiring for an arcade board jammed into a small box. Right now there is a 1 slot neo geo motherboard hooked up to it, planning on upgrading that to a 4 slot after I get some car work paid off. At some point will also get into capcom stuff i.e Aliens Vs Predator, D&D etc.

Heres an oldish pic of my neo carts. I think, can't view imgur at work to verify. If it has cases for 8man and nam 1975 its current, if they are loose or not even present its outdated.

http://imgur.com/a/qk9wW

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I've quietly built up a big arcade board collection relatively quickly. I used to have a Virtua Fighter 2 cab several years ago, but I sold it when I came back from college (really needed the money). Since then, I've built myself a cabinet which houses a PC (SFIV Online with the thing is INCREDIBLE) and I purchased a MAS Supernova.

I have the following arcade systems and games:
    Sega Titan SVT:
    Die Hard Arcade
    VF Kids
    VF Remix

Sega Naomi 2
    Marvel vs Capcom 2

Capcom CPS2
    Dungeons and Dragons
    Alien vs Predator (Phoenixed)
    Marvel vs Capcom (Phoenixed)
    X-men vs Street Fighter (Phoenixed)
    Super Street Fighter II X (Phoenixed)

Neo Geo MVS & AES
    King of Fighters 2002
    Fatal Fury Special
    Samurai Shodown 2
    Art of Fighting 2
    King of fighters 94
    King of fighters 95
    King of Fighters 98
    Nam 1975
    Magician Lord
    SvC Chaos

Non-system boards:
    Sonic the Fighters (Sega - Model 2)
    SegaSonic Arcade (Sega - System 32)
    Wonderboy in Monster Land (Sega, System 8, Jamma converted)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Konami, Jamma converted, 2-player bootleg)
    Simpsons (Konami, Jamma converted, 2-player bootleg)
    Shinobi (Sega, System 8, Jamma converted)
    Mortal Kombat II (Midway)
    Primal Rage (Atari)
    NBA Jam TE (Midway, 4-player bootleg)

All this stuff I play with my supernova, my cabinet is mainly used for PC games which suit it. The only game I can't play, is sonic the fighters - it requires a special monitor outputting at a certain frequency which the JROC converter in my supernova doesn't support. I'm eventually going to build a supergun just for it.

I'm on the lookout for a Killer Instinct board, preferably one with a CF Flash kit installed already (because finding KI boards with working HDDs is like finding a diamond inside your toilet).

I'll throw up some pics in a bit.

• Options
    My PC cabinet:
    All these are pics during it's construction. I have a lot more, but this tells the basic story of its construction

sspx0233u.jpg
    sspx0234f.jpg
    sspx0240.jpg
    sspx0256.jpg
    sspx0276.jpg
    sspx0260.jpg
    sspx0284.jpg
    30610156.jpg
    sspx0280.jpg
    sspx0294.jpg
    sspx0308.jpg

pic0120o.jpg
    the finished product

Prior to purchasing a MAS Supernova, I picked up a suprgun MK V, which I'm giving to AOI. It worked alright, I had some problems with the color due to the video pots, but maybe AOI will have better luck. Here's some picks of when I had the MK V running primal rage:

20110515002619.jpg
    The actual MK V unit

20110515002905.jpg
    MK V with Primal Rage

20110515030924.jpg
    Primal Rage running

20110515030934.jpg
    Everything all set up

for a while I wired up the MK V with a video encoder from jammaboards.com, and it worked well, but I had to sacrifice the jamma extender and thus AOI will need to buy a new extender if he wants to wire it up:

20110523173331.jpg

And finally, the MAS SuperNova along with a CPS2 from when I first got my CPS2. I need to take pictures with the other stuff I got:

l1Sk0.jpg
    CPS2 A and B board next to a model 1 genesis with model 2 sega cd for size comparison

D6uj1.jpg
    Cartridge comparison - from top to bottom, left to right:
    CPS2 B cartridge
    Neo Geo AES cart
    SNES cart
    Sega Genesis cart

u6phw.jpg
    MAS SuperNova joystick (I have two)

Veydd.jpg
    SuperNova after it arrived

YxXC2.jpg
    SuperNova with a CPS2 A board with Marvel vs Capcom inserted and player 1 connected

ERhAr.jpg
    My MAS Supernova has a built in VGA upscaler that can output either 720p or 1080p

wYU9i.jpg
    But I still prefer to run the thing on a good old CRT TV, like all classic games should.

• Options
    And here comes TSR making us all feel inadequate

<3

• Options

<3
    the parts for my cabinet cost me under $50

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular

<3
    I'd be inclined to just buy one of these kits and paint it (I know the guy does custom mods, so vert monitor with a Blast City layout).

I still don't see how you'd get parts for $50 - that's about what a stick and buttons would cost you, let alone the wood and paint (though it doesn't look like you went for a high gloss finish).

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote:

<3
    I'd be inclined to just buy one of these kits and paint it (I know the guy does custom mods, so vert monitor with a Blast City layout).

I still don't see how you'd get parts for $50 - that's about what a stick and buttons would cost you, let alone the wood and paint (though it doesn't look like you went for a high gloss finish).

I got a gutted cabinet from a place called Houston Arcade Game repair center for $25 - it was a bootleg wonderboy cabinet originally. Terrible, terrible condition. I have a full workbench, so I didn't need to buy new stucco, which is what I used to patch the holes all over it, and I also already had the wood.

I got 2 bat-style joysticks for $10 from the same place, and the guy sold me the t-molding and 20 push style buttons for $15 total. The PC is built from spare parts I had, I built my own IPAC from an old keyboard I had, I grabbed the monitor for free off of craigslist. I used some spare flat low gloss paint for the sides (high gloss looks weird on a machine).

Total cost - $50.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    What about the arcade F-Zero? That shit was exhausting and exhilarating. I wish Nintendo would tap into that franchise for Wii and Wii U.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote:
    What about the arcade F-Zero? That shit was exhausting and exhilarating. I wish Nintendo would tap into that franchise for Wii and Wii U.

Never seen F-Zero AX in person, but I did play Mario Kart GP and Mario Kart GP2 in austin. They were alright.

F-zero is much more my style than mario kart, so I'd love to one day play F-Zero AX. I actually want to build a racing wheel controller for my SuperNova and begin buying up some old racing games. Once I figure out a way to output model 2 video on a normal TV screen, the first game I'm picking up is gonna be Daytona USA.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    If I had space:
    Panic Park - I've only ever seen this game once. It's a series of pvp mini games, the only controls being a lever that you move back and forth. The trick is, all of the levers are on the same track, so if you want to move somewhere past your opponent, you have to physically push them back.
    Discs of Tron (the enclosed one, of course) - To me, this has always been the coolest of all arcade cabs, and was one of my favorite games to boot.
    Hydro Thunder - The only racing game I ever got good at. Cutthroat on every map (but 2) forever.