As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guardian Heroes Re-re-re-remix Day!

george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
Guardian_Heroes_HD_by_modusprodukt.jpg
(courtesy of Deviant Art's modusprodukt)

Treasure phenomenon Guardian Heroes releases today on XBLA for the first time since the Sega Saturn!

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zmmAZRwwmY&hd=1

Addition thanks to Grimthwacker:

What is Guardian Heroes?
Simply put, it's the forerunner to games like Castle Crashers - it's a fantasy brawler/RPG that casts you as the titular Guardian Heroes, a ragtag guild of do-gooders who wind up in possession of a powerful sword, and subsequently chased down by the evil empire looking for it. As you beat down on enemies, you gain experience and level up, with the ability to put your earned skill points (one per level) into your various attributes at the conclusion of each stage. In addition to basic attacks, you can use Street Fighter-esque special moves and magic attacks with button combinations, some of which drain from your constantly replenishing MP meter. Like in CC, you can block attacks to nullify damage, and move around the playing field. . . to an extent. Each stage is made up of three "plains" - back, mid, and front - and by pressing the appropriate buttons you can jump back and forth between them to evade enemies or set yourself up for an assault.

So who are we playing as?
Glad you asked. Each character in Guardian Heroes roughly equates to the various classes seen in many RPGs and fantasy-style settings:

ghhanwallpaper.jpg
Samwell Han
Class: Fighter
The "tough muscle" of the team, Han's forte is hitting things. Hard. His Strength and Vitality are top notch, but his magical capabilities are sorely lacking; he has some long-range spellcasting moves, but most of his specials and "spells" involve him plunging his sword into various orifices and/or surfaces. He's the guy to pick if you want to focus on punching stuff.

ghginjirouwallpaper.jpg
Ginjirou
Class: Flippin' Sweet Ninja
Yeah, he's a ninja, capable of speedy, potentially hard-hitting attacks. Many of his special moves make use of his agility, from spinning around like a top to flipping and kicking. He has quite a few lightning-based attacks and spells at his disposal as well, but his defensive capabilities are somewhat lacking, so hitting and running are highly recommended.

ghnicolewallpaper.jpg
Nicole Neile
Class: Smiley-obsessed Cleric
As you can imagine, adorably klutzy Nicole isn't exactly a fighter; her Strength and Vitality are decidedly subpar, and her special "attacks" mostly amount to her flailing around awkwardly. However she does have great magic capabilities, specializing in support spells like creating a healing field for herself and allies or an impenetrable magic barrier that damages any enemies who come in contact with it. She can also use basic fire magic and summon various lightning-infused smiley faces from the sky. SMILEEEEYYYYYY!!!! :rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

ghrandywallpaper.jpg
Randy Green
Class: Mage
Not exactly a "squishy wizard", Randy was trained in martial arts as well as magic, so he can use his staff to great effect in physical attacks and combos. He has quite a few handy special moves that take advantage of multiple rapid-fire staff strikes, which can allow him to fend off enemies long enough to blast 'em all with one of his many spells, ranging from fireballs to lightning strikes to ice storms. Great Magic power, kinda mediocre everywhere else.

ghserenawallpaper.jpg
Serena Corsaire
Class: Magic Knight
Not quite as powerful as Han, but with far more magic capabilities, Serena fights against her former comrades who are being manipulated by the big baddies behind the scenes. She's capable of solid physical attacks and good special moves, and has a few strong spells at her disposal. A great "all-around" character.

ghundeadwallpaper.jpg
The Undead Warrior
Class: Err. . . Undead Warrior.
An NPC you'll get right after the first stage, the Warrior is an invulnerable meatshield capable of attacking and assisting you on his own, but you can issue commands that him focusing on staying close, playing defensively, doing nothing or launching an all-out berserker rush that usually ends with a massive enemy-toasting explosion.
(Thanks, Grim!)

Amped about this release. I had imported the JP version on an ebay Saturn back in college, so I really enjoyed the game on a non-sucky D-pad, but couldn't understand a damn thing. On that note, does anybody have the new silver Xbox controller with the twist up D-pad? Is it much better? Amazon has a sale on it for $50 with the charge & play..

One of the best parts of this game is its replayability. From wiki: The game allowed players to alter the storyline through their actions, such as choosing between a number of branching paths leading to multiple endings and through the Karma meter which changes depending on whether the player kills civilians or shows mercy to enemies.

Who else is getting this?

roster.gif
george-x on

• Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    Huh, I wasn't aware that this was getting the XBL treatment. I guess I'll check it out once I get my Xbox repaired.

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Yeah, I never owned a Saturn so I missed out on this gem, kinda excited about ths one, not grabbing it until I have a couple spare days though, half term in a little over a week, getting it then.

Is it co-op over Live?

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I believe (hope) it is. Certainly couldn't understand why not.

I had this on Saturn and it was by far my favorite game (that and Space Jam :D).
    Here's hoping they do it justice and that it's not too many space bucks.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Yeah just saw on Joystiq it has 2 player co-op and something crazy like an 8 player vs mode?

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Are you friggin kidding me? That's a royal screw if that's the case. It really should be at least 4 online and I'm pretty sure the original was up to 10 in arena.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    It allows up to 12 people in arena.

• Options
    Original or new does?

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    The XBLA version does. I never played the original, but have heard awesome things. Besides, it's Treasure. Hard to go wrong.

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Haha I was waiting for this day! My buddy came over during the weekend and was perusing the Live arcade stuff when he pulled out GH, and I was like 'Holy shit it's out!'. I was a sad panda that it wasn't really out yet, but hell..it was only half a week later to wait. ;)

I recall seeing the release vids on this when they announced it, made me break out the old copy and the Saturn for a few days. lol

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Are you friggin kidding me? That's a royal screw if that's the case. It really should be at least 4 online and I'm pretty sure the original was up to 10 in arena.

The original game actually only allowed 6 players in versus mode. Back then, that was a crazy amount though.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote:

The original game actually only allowed 6 players in versus mode. Back then, that was a crazy amount though.

Fuck that, Saturn Bomberman allowed up to 10. ;-)

But, yea.. Guardian Heroes! YAAAAY! Buying now without even playing it first.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    It's crazy how much of the Saturn's library has been re-released in the last 5 years.
    Except for PDS and SF3, are there any other major titles that could use a reissue?

• Options
    Could use one? I mean, there are certainly games on the Saturn that might deserve a bigger audience. Albert Odyssey, the already mentioned Shining Force 3 and Panzer Dragoon games.

Problem is, a lot of what I loved about the Saturn is already possible elsewhere. Having the best versions of MvSF/X-MenvSF was great, but we've been able to do that since the last generation.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote:
    SteevL wrote:

Fuck that, Saturn Bomberman allowed up to 10. ;-)

But, yea.. Guardian Heroes! YAAAAY! Buying now without even playing it first.

Yeah, I was able to get a few games of 10-player Saturn Bomberman going about 8 years ago. Those were good times. :) Sadly, Guardian Heroes versus mode didn't go over too well with that group, probably because it's pretty unbalanced.

I just played the demo for Guardian Heroes and got that warm fuzzy feeling, and next thing I knew I I had spent 800 points.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Damn you, Sega, stop putting the PS3 on the backburner. I know you'll do it eventually.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Actually Treasure has been all about the XBLA exclusivity. Ikaruga STILL hasn't come out on PSN, and I don't think it, Radiant Silvergun (which I'm also playing right now, it's freakin' amazing) or Guardian Heroes will ever come out on PSN.

So I played all the way up to
    the huge angel boss
    and died. Game started me over at lvl 1. Are none of your levels saved over? I don't remember from the Saturn version.

Super fun so far. Cant wait to get good with the little mage

roster.gif
  • Options
    Also, does anybody have the new silver Xbox controller with the twist up D-pad? Is it much better? Amazon has a sale on it for $50 with the charge & play..I really don't like the regular dpad

roster.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure your levels didn't get saved in the original game either.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    it is much better, but beware i had one for like 2 months before the entire d-pad came off. i was pissed. it might just be my shit luck though.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Dang, I was planning on making a topic, but that doesn't mean I can't pitch in. Maybe you should add this to the OP:

What is Guardian Heroes?
    Simply put, it's the forerunner to games like Castle Crashers - it's a fantasy brawler/RPG that casts you as the titular Guardian Heroes, a ragtag guild of do-gooders who wind up in possession of a powerful sword, and subsequently chased down by the evil empire looking for it. As you beat down on enemies, you gain experience and level up, with the ability to put your earned skill points (one per level) into your various attributes at the conclusion of each stage. In addition to basic attacks, you can use Street Fighter-esque special moves and magic attacks with button combinations, some of which drain from your constantly replenishing MP meter. Like in CC, you can block attacks to nullify damage, and move around the playing field. . . to an extent. Each stage is made up of three "plains" - back, mid, and front - and by pressing the appropriate buttons you can jump back and forth between them to evade enemies or set yourself up for an assault.

So who are we playing as?
    Glad you asked. Each character in Guardian Heroes roughly equates to the various classes seen in many RPGs and fantasy-style settings:

ghhanwallpaper.jpg
    Samwell Han
    Class: Fighter
    The "tough muscle" of the team, Han's forte is hitting things. Hard. His Strength and Vitality are top notch, but his magical capabilities are sorely lacking; he has some long-range spellcasting moves, but most of his specials and "spells" involve him plunging his sword into various orifices and/or surfaces. He's the guy to pick if you want to focus on punching stuff.

ghginjirouwallpaper.jpg
    Ginjirou
    Class: Flippin' Sweet Ninja
    Yeah, he's a ninja, capable of speedy, potentially hard-hitting attacks. Many of his special moves make use of his agility, from spinning around like a top to flipping and kicking. He has quite a few lightning-based attacks and spells at his disposal as well, but his defensive capabilities are somewhat lacking, so hitting and running are highly recommended.

ghnicolewallpaper.jpg
    Nicole Neile
    Class: Smiley-obsessed Cleric
    As you can imagine, adorably klutzy Nicole isn't exactly a fighter; her Strength and Vitality are decidedly subpar, and her special "attacks" mostly amount to her flailing around awkwardly. However she does have great magic capabilities, specializing in support spells like creating a healing field for herself and allies or an impenetrable magic barrier that damages any enemies who come in contact with it. She can also use basic fire magic and summon various lightning-infused smiley faces from the sky. SMILEEEEYYYYYY!!!! :rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

ghrandywallpaper.jpg
    Randy Green
    Class: Mage
    Not exactly a "squishy wizard", Randy was trained in martial arts as well as magic, so he can use his staff to great effect in physical attacks and combos. He has quite a few handy special moves that take advantage of multiple rapid-fire staff strikes, which can allow him to fend off enemies long enough to blast 'em all with one of his many spells, ranging from fireballs to lightning strikes to ice storms. Great Magic power, kinda mediocre everywhere else.

ghserenawallpaper.jpg
    Serena Corsaire
    Class: Magic Knight
    Not quite as powerful as Han, but with far more magic capabilities, Serena fights against her former comrades who are being manipulated by the big baddies behind the scenes. She's capable of solid physical attacks and good special moves, and has a few strong spells at her disposal. A great "all-around" character.

ghundeadwallpaper.jpg
    The Undead Warrior
    Class: Err. . . Undead Warrior.
    An NPC you'll get right after the first stage, the Warrior is an invulnerable meatshield capable of attacking and assisting you on his own, but you can issue commands that him focusing on staying close, playing defensively, doing nothing or launching an all-out berserker rush that usually ends with a massive enemy-toasting explosion.

Anyway, after a bit of time to shake the rust off (and quite a bit of control configuration) the game's just as fun (and hard!) as I remember from so long ago. Love the stylized "watercolor" look in the Remix mode.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    george-x wrote:
    Also, does anybody have the new silver Xbox controller with the twist up D-pad? Is it much better? Amazon has a sale on it for $50 with the charge & play..I really don't like the regular dpad

How about playing with a wired joystick?

• Options
    CygnusZ wrote:
    george-x wrote:

How about playing with a wired joystick?

I actually have one, but its difficult to use with this game because the moves are very fighter game-esque, and the dpad on the wired joystick is also pretty small

roster.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Dang, I was planning on making a topic, but that doesn't mean I can't pitch in. Maybe you should add this to the OP:
    Whoa Thanks Grim! adding now!

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Anyway, after a bit of time to shake the rust off (and quite a bit of control configuration) the game's just as fun (and hard!) as I remember from so long ago. Love the stylized "watercolor" look in the Remix mode.

As one of the people who didn't think he'd like the look of the "remix" sprites, I actually ended up not being bothered by it all. That was a pleasant surprise.

SteevL on
  • Options
    george-x wrote:
    Actually Treasure has been all about the XBLA exclusivity. Ikaruga STILL hasn't come out on PSN, and I don't think it, Radiant Silvergun (which I'm also playing right now, it's freakin' amazing) or Guardian Heroes will ever come out on PSN.

So I played all the way up to
    the huge angel boss
    and died. Game started me over at lvl 1. Are none of your levels saved over? I don't remember from the Saturn version.

Super fun so far. Cant wait to get good with the little mage

Yes, nothing was saved.

Any word if 99 continue the trick from the Saturn version is still in?

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote:

Go on....

roster.gif
  • Options
    I am sad to say I'll have to pass on this. So sad.

I was excited to see the price at only 800 space bucks, but SO disappoint that it's only 2 player. How? HOW? That alone lost my buy.

• Options
    Yeah that was a weird choice...

roster.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well, the original game was only 2 players in the co-op mode. It's not like they took anything out.

edit: Not to say that a 4-player co-op mode wouldn't have been nice...

SteevL on
  • Options
    george-x wrote:
    Shadowfire wrote:

Go on....

In the Saturn version you could start in easy mode, end the game, then continue in normal or hard with the 99 continues. Doesn't work in this version.

Couple notable differences between the two modes:

Original is just like we remember it. Standard moves, the magic button opens a bubble that lets you pick a spell, the whole deal.

Remix is a lot different. First, you can't beat on corpses for experience (boooo!). To make up for it (I think), there's a nice backdash on the A button. Also, the magic menu is not present at all, so you must memorize the moves for your character.

For the first timers going into this, a couple tips:
    Stay in the fucking inn! Seriously, do not leave until it makes you. You will get to at least level 7 (9 or 10 if you're awesome and let Serena steal a minimum of hits).
    Once you get golden boy, set him to "lazy fuck" (it's the setting with him just standing behind you with his hands on his hips). Every time you hit an enemy you get experience. It's not based on kills, so don't let him steal hits from you until boss battles (if you need him).
    Like a fighting game, pick your character and learn him/her. Real men use Randy. ;-)

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote:
    Also, the magic menu is not present at all, so you must memorize the moves for your character.

Sure it is - just go into the settings and remap it so it's not "Left analog stick click" or whatever stupid button it defaults to. I made it "A" instead

roster.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Oh...

Reading instructions is for chumps. :rotate:

I can't believe I didn't notice this before... as you level up in Remix mode, you don't gain MP. You sit at 100 forever, and your spells never get more expensive either. In classic, your spells get more powerful at higher INT levels, and also drain more mana. Randy's uber-death-beam used to drain his mana from full to might-as-well-be-empty no matter how much you had (left you with enough for a fireball or two), now it's just (I think) 60 mana. Weird change, but really really nice. You don't have to use your big spell once and be all fireballs the rest of the level anymore!

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    Oh that's really cool - I never played the original enough to notice that. That's a clever change

roster.gif
  • Options
    Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    I tried playing nicole at first which is maybe a bad idea, I will give it another go tonight with Han

Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Yeah, you either have to really know what you're doing or play with a co-op partner to use Nicole to her fullest. She's very fragile, but with the right backup she's an awesome supporter. Also, smilies. :)

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    one question - how long does it roughly take to finish the game (are we talking Castle Crashers game length here)?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    one question - how long does it roughly take to finish the game (are we talking Castle Crashers game length here)?

Depends on the path you take.

Not sure exactly on how long it takes, but I played... a lot of this... co-op in my youth and we used to beat it 2-3 times in a span of probably 4-5 hours (if I remember correctly, single sitting at least).

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote:
    Now they just need to re-release Dragon Force...

I came here to post exactly this.

Link for people who haven't heard of it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Kamiro wins. Hands down

roster.gif
  • Options
    Randy's spells are all harmful to your friends for that reason. Area freeze enemies, and your allies freeze too. Hit them with the lightning storm and the allies get shocked. Burn them with the laser, fireball, or wall, and the allies catch fire as well.

I don't remember if the tornado has a similar problem or not... I rarely ever used it except for a second of crowd control when I was surrounded and having a rough time.