As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I figure what this Video card is?

ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
The brilliance of my boss shines through again. We have and engineer here that needed an upgraded Video card so my boss let the guy buy one and install it. This was all fine and good until they decided to buy him a whole new PC. Ok no problems so far right? Well he decides to wipe it so he could give it to another engineer. Well the one thing he forgot to do was to look at the driver for the Video card and see what it was. He went and asked the engineer where the CD for it was and he can’t fine it. The guy does not even remember what kind of card it is. So now it has fallen on me to sort out this mess.

I’ve already tried to redetect it. And all I get is “Video controller VGA compatible”
I opened up the computer to look at it and there is nothing stamped on the card at all.

I can’t be the first one to ever have this problem. Is there anything I can run on this computer to see what type of video card this is?

Artoria on

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think the DirectX Diagnostic Tool lists the model and brand, so that's probably your best bet, far as I know.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It may also list it in the POST screen.

Sanders on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There's a free program called Unknown Device Identifier.

I tend to use that on hardware that I don't feel like opening the case for.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There's a free program called Unknown Device Identifier.

I tend to use that on hardware that I don't feel like opening the case for.

this found it. It was a Matrox Parhelia 256

thanks! :-D

Artoria on