Options

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but not over the lameness of countdowns

• Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    So I feel confident they will do a sequel with Adam Jensen, does anyone else know anything for certain or feel the same? Or even possibly a trilogy for Jensen? because to be honest, I could see a trilogy happening, then maybe a re-release of the existing pc titles.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I doubt it.

I think the Zelasny guy from Hengsha might get involved. But the DLC gives me the vibe that they might go for a female character this time. There is a good amount of time between Adam and JC so they might go for the transition from UN Anti-Terrorist Task Force to UNATCO.
    I have the perception it might start with someone with grudge with Belltower after the pods attack. A pocket secretary had some thing that attracted my attention.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    DX:HR soundtrack is getting a proper release on November 15th.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I feel confident they will do a sequel with Adam Jensen, does anyone else know anything for certain or feel the same? Or even possibly a trilogy for Jensen? because to be honest, I could see a trilogy happening, then maybe a re-release of the existing pc titles.

You mean a re-release of DX1 and DX:IW?

God, please no. I did a DX1/IW marathon leading up to my playthrough of HR.

DX1 is a good game but I'm of the opinion that its time has passed. But for those that disagree, it runs fine on modern systems and there are enough cosmetic patches out there that it actually still looks decent on a modern system, too. If they remade it, I'd want them to drastically retool the game to play much more like DX3. The problem with that is that people seem to dislike DX3 for the gameplay and narrative differences from DX1. So, really, there's nothing to be gained from remaking DX1 in any way. People who want to play DX1 can plonk down $5 for the GOTY version and grab a few free patches and play it. And even if they put DX1 in DX3's engine, I don't think I'd want to play though the story again, but maybe that's just me.

As for DX2, there is absolutely nothing good about Invisible War at all. I wouldn't even want it remade with the DX:HR engine and with DX:HR gameplay. I honestly hated every character, location, and pretty much the entire story of IW. By the end I was hoping I could choose an ending where I could punt the Earth out of orbit and send it careening into the sun because it seems to me that every single human being in the future is just a brazen sociopath. If there's one game that should be totally forgotten and swept under the rug, it is Deus Ex: Invisible War. If they remade this game they'd have to just scrap everything, and I mean everything.

That may sound harsh, but I forced myself to play through it two months ago and I hated every single bit of it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I think the chances of a Jensen sequel are pretty much zero. The tighter you make that little timeline space, the more you'll have to incorporate elements from the first game, and I don't think they want to 'trespass' on that territory too much nor deal with the increasing difficulty of keeping it all straight. Plus I don't think they want to repeat IW's "here's how we'll deal with DX's multiple endings" thing, especially considering one of DXHR's possible endings.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    I think the chances of a Jensen sequel are pretty much zero. The tighter you make that little timeline space, the more you'll have to incorporate elements from the first game, and I don't think they want to 'trespass' on that territory too much nor deal with the increasing difficulty of keeping it all straight. Plus I don't think they want to repeat IW's "here's how we'll deal with DX's multiple endings" thing, especially considering one of DXHR's possible endings.

It's not uncommon for a sequel to a game with multiple endings to choose one as the canon ending. As much as I just hated on IW in the post before yours, choosing a canon ending wasn't one of its faults.

Then again, I am perhaps biased because the canon ending they ran with in IW was the most "obvious"/best ending for DX1 in my personal opinion.

• Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind, DX;HR was my first real exposure to the franchise and that I only know very little of the other Deus Ex titles as I'm not much of a pc gamer. I did hear one fo them came out on Playstation but I didn't play that either, so forgive my ignorance on the other Deus Ex titles. But I was thinking, with HR, the could choose a canon ending probably
    the one where you side with Sarif
    and squeeze out a sequel, because the certainly set it up for one and IMO they didn't really wrap up Jensens story. Isn't DX:HR like 25 years before the next title in the timeline?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Keep in mind, DX;HR was my first real exposure to the franchise and that I only know very little of the other Deus Ex titles as I'm not much of a pc gamer. I did hear one fo them came out on Playstation but I didn't play that either, so forgive my ignorance on the other Deus Ex titles. But I was thinking, with HR, the could choose a canon ending probably
    and squeeze out a sequel, because the certainly set it up for one and IMO they didn't really wrap up Jensens story. Isn't DX:HR like 25 years before the next title in the timeline?

Seems like they could also do the self-destruct ending ("we will be able to find him").

EDIT: In fact if you consider the nature of HR's endings, they could do all of them easily -
    The three official endings are immaterial victories. They're media propaganda. What's the real effect of that likely to be? You - generally - do a lot of damage to Panchea in the last fight, so presumbly it would collapse soon after the events of the ending anyway. Even without save-game records, you could let the player choose what you did in conversation, and effect the world like that. After all, how much influence, on that world, can 1 person really have?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:

It's not uncommon for a sequel to a game with multiple endings to choose one as the canon ending. As much as I just hated on IW in the post before yours, choosing a canon ending wasn't one of its faults.

Then again, I am perhaps biased because the canon ending they ran with in IW was the most "obvious"/best ending for DX1 in my personal opinion.

All of them was the most obvious and best ending for DX1?

wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    done with it, disappointed, it's like a watered down dx1. 2 steps back instead of forward. whatever.

The endings are a bit bonkers as well.
    "I just spent the past weeks fighting an international organisation that operates within and above governments, I've successfully undermined one of their attempts at world domination and killed a few of their mid-level management personnel. Seems to me that suicide is the only way to keep the world safe from the god knows how many other illuminati assholes running around. Oh look, a self-destruct button, how convenient!"

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The endings were meh, but the path to get there was a badass cyberpunk experience.

• Options
    Drez wrote:

Helios wasn't the canon ending they used for IW; it was Helios+Dark Age+Illuminati simultaneously.
    That is why there was a massive collapse and the Illuminati still had tons of power.

Oh, sorry. Deus Ex had three possible endings, and in order to gel the sequel with that, they chose all three endings at once and it ended up being fairly stupid. I suppose they could pick a single one as background for another game, but I doubt we see Jensen as a main character again. Deus Ex is a series about broader notions of humanity, technology, and conspiracy, not the continuing adventures of a given person like, say, Uncharted. Plus we already know all about Jensen, he's augged to the gills, and they've already pulled the Metroid Reset in this game's DLC.

I think we'll see more Deus Ex (after the rest of this DLC) regardless of time setting, but it'll be a new character.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Wow.

I guess I paid so little attention to IW I didn't even realize that.

What a shit-awful game.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    You know, it'd be interesting to have a post-IW game where augmentations aren't just pure awesome for the player, and the Luddites actually have something of a rhetorical leg to stand on.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    You know, it'd be interesting to have a post-IW game where augmentations aren't just pure awesome for the player, and the Luddites actually have something of a rhetorical leg to stand on.
    The whole drug addiction and class warfare things were pretty good points.

It is kind of hard to make a augmentations not pure awesome without stupid limitations or people just realizing that they can just have awesome orgasms whenever they want thanks to augmentations so society goes to hell thanks to people dating robots not trying to attract mates.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Drez wrote:

Helios wasn't the canon ending they used for IW; it was Helios+Dark Age+Illuminati simultaneously.
    That is why there was a massive collapse and the Illuminati still had tons of power.

Oh, sorry. Deus Ex had three possible endings, and in order to gel the sequel with that, they chose all three endings at once and it ended up being fairly stupid. I suppose they could pick a single one as background for another game, but I doubt we see Jensen as a main character again. Deus Ex is a series about broader notions of humanity, technology, and conspiracy, not the continuing adventures of a given person like, say, Uncharted. Plus we already know all about Jensen, he's augged to the gills, and they've already pulled the Metroid Reset in this game's DLC.

I think we'll see more Deus Ex (after the rest of this DLC) regardless of time setting, but it'll be a new character.

Interesting. I'd still think there has to be a sequel to HR in some capacity though, whether it's Jensen or not. They just left a few too many things open-ended. Or is that like a trademark of this franchise on PC?

• Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    What if the next Deus Ex game was just prior to the events of the original, and you play as Paul?

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Invisible War adds on rough analogues of the illuminati and dark age endings, but in reality it does follow the Helios ending. You could argue that it robs the choice of its impact (but then how would choosing an ending you didn't go with be any better?), but since most people seem to be coming at it from the angle that it doesn't make logical sense within the story (it does), the constant complaining about it is pretty idiotic. It just goes to show how stupid most of the the bitching about games can be, even for the ones that deserve it.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Did anybody spot the dig at Invisible War in the ending of the DLC?

Edit: It's something that
    Quinn
    says. I can't find it in any of the clips on YouTube which makes me think you might have to finish the DLC in a certain way to get it.

RadioElectric on
  • Options
    Did anybody spot the dig at Invisible War in the ending of the DLC?

Edit: It's something that
    Quinn
    says. I can't find it in any of the clips on YouTube which makes me think you might have to finish the DLC in a certain way to get it.

Something about this vaguely sounds familiar. What was it?

• Options
    Lork wrote:
    Invisible War adds on rough analogues of the illuminati and dark age endings, but in reality it does follow the Helios ending. You could argue that it robs the choice of its impact (but then how would choosing an ending you didn't go with be any better?), but since most people seem to be coming at it from the angle that it doesn't make logical sense within the story (it does), the constant complaining about it is pretty idiotic. It just goes to show how stupid most of the the bitching about games can be, even for the ones that deserve it.

No, it's still pretty stupid. In spoiler-tagless terms, jamming in the Dark Age's precipitating event doesn't make any sense, and then the game feels trivial if you go for the same ending because by the end you've just taken a huge detour with an insipid protagonist to fulfill what you thought was completed at the end of the better game. Of course you might want to change your ending, especially if you went with the New Dark Age and the game offers you a completely farcical New Dark Age that no one would ever want because it's a minute of pure negative imagery, but in that case you're just ruining the first game ending rather than postponing it.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    Okay, so second boss
    is total bullshit. I have almost no ammo except heavy rifle, no health packs or energy packs. Hitting the wall thingies electrocutes me in seconds, I can follow her using smart vision but don't really have anything to hurt her with, and all my augs went in hacking and stealthing. Honestly, I don't even know why there are boss fights in this, especially not ones where you can't in any way set things up more in your favour (except preternatural knowledge of which augs to get)
    Any advice?

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    ben0207 wrote:
    Okay, so second boss
    is total bullshit. I have almost no ammo except heavy rifle, no health packs or energy packs. Hitting the wall thingies electrocutes me in seconds, I can follow her using smart vision but don't really have anything to hurt her with, and all my augs went in hacking and stealthing. Honestly, I don't even know why there are boss fights in this, especially not ones where you can't in any way set things up more in your favour (except preternatural knowledge of which augs to get)
    Any advice?
    Search the lockers around the outside wall of the room, they can be easy to miss if you don't know they are there.
    They should give you enough to win.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    There's areas to stand in that aren't in the water and thus safe, and there are lockers around the room with enough stuff to kill her if you can raid them. Grenades are useful for stunning and serial headshotting.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Lork wrote:

No, it's still pretty stupid. In spoiler-tagless terms, jamming in the Dark Age's precipitating event doesn't make any sense, and then the game feels trivial if you go for the same ending because by the end you've just taken a huge detour with an insipid protagonist to fulfill what you thought was completed at the end of the better game. Of course you might want to change your ending, especially if you went with the New Dark Age and the game offers you a completely farcical New Dark Age that no one would ever want because it's a minute of pure negative imagery, but in that case you're just ruining the first game ending rather than postponing it.

I don't think it matters much. Like I said before, every single character was a total asshole in Invisible War except for maybe one and I can't even remember her name or be arsed to look it up. And even though she wasn't an asshole she was kind of stupid. The Tarsus lady or whatever. No matter how they connected DX:IW to DX1, it would still be a terrible game with a terrible protagonist and terrible characters.

Fun fact: I played through like half of DX:IW before I even realized you can play as a man or a woman. The default profile picture is a woman. So I played through as a woman. That doesn't really matter much but I was confused since the box art is of a dude. Eventually I realized there was a profile picture slider and you could choose between six gender/race combinations.

Again, it didn't matter much anyway but I thought that was funny.

• Options
    It'd be cool if there were enough boxes on the streets of Detroit to get you into the police station without Superjump.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It'd be cool if there were enough boxes on the streets of Detroit to get you into the police station without Superjump.
    Pretty sure you can do it with just the 2 dumpsters near the wall

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I tried several times, and couldn't do it. Unless you mean picking them up, which would require the heavy things aug, so no praxis saved.

• Options
    I tried several times, and couldn't do it. Unless you mean picking them up, which would require the heavy things aug, so no praxis saved.

Ah yes, point

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The strength aug costs one point, which you can get in the sewers behind a breakable wall, and thus it pays for itself.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    The strength aug costs one point, which you can get in the sewers behind a breakable wall, and thus it pays for itself.

Isn't the break through walls aug separate to the heavy lifting aug?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, my mind completely crosswired there. My mistake! Can't you just take the electrified hall and then stack the boxes up in the alley to get to the PD, though?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    There is, for the most part, at least one praxis kit, per skill, in the game, that requires a specific skill, making most of those like heavy lifting, jumping, falling, wall breaking, etc, pay for themselves.

But I think that whole thing has been discussed in depth ages ago. You have access, by the end of the game, to more augments than you could possibly need, and certainly anyone who wants a very specific defined "style" build can have everything for their goals pretty damn early in the game. As far as whether this is good or bad is completely subjective.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular

Here's the easy way to get into the police station backyard without using more than 2 non-heavy boxes.
    Take two boxes to the side passageway to the far left of the police station grounds. Inside you'll find an electrified passage. Drop one box on ground near the electricity then hop on top of it. Then grab the second box nearby, turn around and drop it so that it provides you a place to step further into the eletrified passage. Move onto that box, then turn around and grab the box you just walked off of and use it to create a new stepping stone into the electrified passage. Repeat until you proceed through the passage and find an electrical box that will shut off the power.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I seem to recall destroyable boxes (I can't remember if they were cardboard or wooden) going poof if you try that, so maybe you need to use sturdier?

• Options
    Ah, I had forgotten about that, thanks. Perhaps tonight I'll start a new game and see if I can do it properly.

• Options
    Orca wrote:
    I seem to recall destroyable boxes (I can't remember if they were cardboard or wooden) going poof if you try that, so maybe you need to use sturdier?
    They should be right next to it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One of them is right next to it and one of them is behind a cargo container just outside the door, where the punks are sitting around.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Anyone have a link to that one music video of Adam in the Hive? I can't find it anywhere.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Not sure if this is the link you're talking about but it is still glorious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6eeeq_2TE

pHWHd2G.jpg
This discussion has been closed.