As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East] Hotel Discussion Thread *Westin Waterfront & Seaport are SOLD OUT*

• Options
    JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    A question just occurred to me. My group and I planned to take the boltbus or megabus out of Philly to Boston and back. We were going to leave at 5PM Sunday on the boltbus, however, I realize the Westin's hotel checkout is well before that. Is there some place (Westin, coat check in BCEC, etc) that we can store our bags between Sunday hotel checkout and when we leave to take the bus home?

I have done this at other hotels (not in Boston) and they had no problem holding my bags until I came back.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Thank you for the info guys, I'll check in with Westin today and report back in case anyone else is in the same boat.

Frugus: <.<

it's always good to check, but i stayed at the westin last year and they had no problem holding our bags both before check in and after check out. they have a small storage room for it right next to the main desk (but be prepared to tip the guy who takes your bags, they can get huffy if you don't).

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    they have a small storage room for it right next to the main desk (but be prepared to tip the guy who takes your bags, they can get huffy if you don't).

D'oh! I didn't know that. I had the hotel in Seattle hold my bags after checkout and didn't tip. Now I feel bad :( At least I know now for next time.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    We might have a last minute crammed guest or two, are they going to give me trouble if I show up with 5 luggage bags when we originally registered a room for two people?

Also is it better to tip when you drop the bags off or when you pick them up later?

dalaamprince on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    We might have a last minute crammed guest or two, are they going to give me trouble if I show up with 5 luggage bags when we originally registered a room for two people?

YMMV.. I don't think they can tell you what you can and can't have for your luggage.
    Also is it better to tip when you drop the bags off or when you pick them up later?

Both ;) It will likely be a different person.

• Options
    I called the Westin and confirmed that they would hold bags after checkout.

Thanks for the advice everyone you're the best.
    Love,
    dp

• Options
    sofreshsodarrylsofreshsodarryl East 2011 Omeganaut Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Did anyone who stayed at the WestinWaterfron last year throw or attend any parties in the hotel rooms? I didn't attend any but I remember walking past a party being broken up by the hotel security.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Did anyone who stayed at the WestinWaterfron last year throw or attend any parties in the hotel rooms? I didn't attend any but I remember walking past a party being broken up by the hotel security.

Sounds to me that if hotel security had to get involved then they were asking for it.

I don't think I speak only for myself when I say that throwing full blown a hotel room party is a bad idea. Sure, this is PAX and most of the hotel will be filled by happy attendees, but that does not mean they don't need rest. In fact most of us if not all will be utterly destroyed from all the standing and walking around for 16 hours. I don't want to be the party pooper but Weaton's law applies.

This being said, I think it's totally cool to host friends and have fun. People should just be mindful of their neighbors :)

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:

Sounds to me that if hotel security had to get involved then they were asking for it.

I don't think I speak only for myself when I say that throwing full blown a hotel room party is a bad idea. Sure, this is PAX and most of the hotel will be filled by happy attendees, but that does not mean they don't need rest. In fact most of us if not all will be utterly destroyed from all the standing and walking around for 16 hours. I don't want to be the party pooper but Weaton's law applies.

This being said, I think it's totally cool to host friends and have fun. People should just be mindful of their neighbors :)

Seriously. Seaport last year went like this:
    Thursday night: Staff are bemused by all the people playing games and buying drinks in the lobby.
    Friday night: Staff seem mildly concerned that this is happening for another night.
    Saturday night: Full lock down, no drinks in the lobby, and we even had trouble bringing a little beer up to our room to quietly split among friends.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    So I bit the bullet this afternoon finally and booked myself a room at the Radisson. The price was fair and it's close to delicious noms and bars. I would've liked to snagged a room at the closer ones but that is basically impossible now :P

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Options
    sofreshsodarrylsofreshsodarryl East 2011 Omeganaut Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote:
    Seriously. Seaport last year went like this:
    Thursday night: Staff are bemused by all the people playing games and buying drinks in the lobby.
    Friday night: Staff seem mildly concerned that this is happening for another night.
    Saturday night: Full lock down, no drinks in the lobby, and we even had trouble bringing a little beer up to our room to quietly split among friends.

Ack that sounds horrible! I wonder if the Seaport will be locked down the whole time now that they can expect a large crowd for PAX. At the Westin I don't think they had any problems with people hanging out in the lobby but I also didn't notice anyone drinking.

• Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    Dear Team Canada from PAX Prime 2010,

Stay off our Land.

You know who you are.

Love,
    ZHH

• Options
    cpdavngrcpdavngr Caped Avenger Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    Just booked the Colonnade. According to the email, PAX will have shuttle service to and from the hotel so we should be okay as far as transportation goes. Thought about renting a car but that just didn't seem to be very cost effective with the parking and such.
    Any other gamers staying here? This will be our first PAX. Can't wait! :)

PAX East 2012: Time Off [X] 3 Day Pass [X] Plane [ ] Hotel [X]
  • Options
    PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    What hotels close still have rooms? I won't be booking through the site because I am military, and can get rooms at more of a cheaper rate. But I need to call the hotel and see if they have any government rates for those dates.

Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
  • Options
    cpdavngrcpdavngr Caped Avenger Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    Head up one level in this thread for an updated hotel list posted by PixelKitty. The PAX deals were actually pretty sweet. We got ours for about 50% below the normal nightly rate.

PAX East 2012: Time Off [X] 3 Day Pass [X] Plane [ ] Hotel [X]
  • Options
    VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    Noob question, but here goes! This is my first year actually booking a hotel (past two years, I had a free hotel room) So I booked in advance via Seaport's site. Then, I saw PAX East site was live to take reservations and I'm sure there'd be a discount, so I booked through there. Long story short, I called to cancel my first reservation and they don't have the onPeak reservation on their computer, just the one I made with them. Is this normal? Is my room reserved and should I keep my original reservation just in case. If I'm okay and don't need that first reservation, does anyone want to take over it? It's booked for the 4-9th.

MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
  • Options
    CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    Noob question, but here goes! This is my first year actually booking a hotel (past two years, I had a free hotel room) So I booked in advance via Seaport's site. Then, I saw PAX East site was live to take reservations and I'm sure there'd be a discount, so I booked through there. Long story short, I called to cancel my first reservation and they don't have the onPeak reservation on their computer, just the one I made with them. Is this normal? Is my room reserved and should I keep my original reservation just in case. If I'm okay and don't need that first reservation, does anyone want to take over it? It's booked for the 4-9th.

That's normal. OnPeak just make a block booking at this stage, they don't pass the details of room occupants to the hotels until much closer to PAX. Barring any overbooking shenanigans (which are unlikely - hotels have probably learned from last year) you should be perfectly fine to cancel the first reservation.

Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • Options

That's normal. OnPeak just make a block booking at this stage, they don't pass the details of room occupants to the hotels until much closer to PAX. Barring any overbooking shenanigans (which are unlikely - hotels have probably learned from last year) you should be perfectly fine to cancel the first reservation.

agreed with all of this, but if you're a bit paranoid like i am, make sure you have printouts of all your onpeak confirmation stuff (you can log back into the hotel reg page and view your info if you need to) and keep those printouts in a safe place. that way if you encounter any difficulty upon arrival, you have hard evidence of your reservation.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    cpdavngr wrote:
    Just booked the Colonnade. According to the email, PAX will have shuttle service to and from the hotel so we should be okay as far as transportation goes. Thought about renting a car but that just didn't seem to be very cost effective with the parking and such.
    Any other gamers staying here? This will be our first PAX. Can't wait! :)

I stayed at the Colonnade last year and loved it. We booked late, so it was the best deal at the time, but you're staying in a beautiful hotel, with a great view. I do not remember having any problems with the shuttle last year - though I did hear issues from people at other hotels, it didn't seem to affect the one that ran to Colonnade.

Enjoy PAX - my first was last year, and I'm geeked for this one.. Oh, and snag one of the umbrellas in the room - they're nice (leave the robes, though.. they will charge for those)

• Options
    JurgmanJurgman Tech Director NYC, NJ, LARegistered User regular
    Looking for recommondations for a boston subway close hotel for pax east. Looking for 2 to 4 for $100 night.
    A wider area using the subway may give some good picks. Since all the close hotels are full and cost more than what we pay for at pax prime.

• Options
    Jurgman wrote:
    Looking for recommondations for a boston subway close hotel for pax east. Looking for 2 to 4 for $100 night.
    A wider area using the subway may give some good picks. Since all the close hotels are full and cost more than what we pay for at pax prime.

Have you considered using Hostels?
    http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/usa/boston/

• Options
    JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Jurgman wrote:

Have you considered using Hostels?
    http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/usa/boston/

Also I am staying at the 40 Berkeley which was like 52 a night when I booked. Think it went up a couple of bucks since then, but still reasonable.

• Options
    spacemanseanspacemansean Registered User regular
    Booked the Radisson. Can anyone tell me what to expect? And how many people can stay in one room? I booked for 4 (can there be more than that?), but I think the room only has two beds, so do they bring in extras or will I be getting close and personal with my friends?

Just want to make sure that everything is in order, will be my first PAX.

• Options
    Booked the Radisson. Can anyone tell me what to expect? And how many people can stay in one room? I booked for 4 (can there be more than that?), but I think the room only has two beds, so do they bring in extras or will I be getting close and personal with my friends?

Just want to make sure that everything is in order, will be my first PAX.

Most hotels will hold 4 people, a lot of PAX goers just put 2 people in each bed. You could also request a rollaway bed or two or just bring personal sleeping bags. Also, hello fellow Radisson guest :D

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone know if there is any sort of shuttle that takes you from the megabus/boltbus bus terminal to the BCEC/Westin? It didn't look like there were any public transit stops near the BCEC and we don't want to walk with our luggage if we don't have to. Thanks!

Edit: It's called South Station Bus Terminal. (Link: http://g.co/maps/h483d )

dalaamprince on
  • Options
    waterbottleswaterbottles Beverage KentuckyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone know if there is any sort of shuttle that takes you from the megabus/boltbus bus terminal to the BCEC/Westin? It didn't look like there were any public transit stops near the BCEC and we don't want to walk with our luggage if we don't have to. Thanks!

Edit: It's called South Station Bus Terminal. (Link: http://g.co/maps/h483d )

Absolutely, but it's public transit/bus. The Silver Line has a stop there, and on the Silver line at South Station, you go to the World Trade Center Station, which is right by the Seaport, Westin, and BCEC. I don't think the ride is any more than 5-10 minutes.

Edit: It will be the outbound route.

waterbottles on
  • Options
    shadowarachhshadowarachh Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    booked at the hilton back bay. anyone know if its nice in comparison to the closer places?

shadowarachh on
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    This is our first time to PAX and we just booked the Park Plaza. I see a lot of people booking Westin and Seaport but not the ones currently still available. Is this due to distance from the BCEC?

Would have loved to book the Westin. Is there a waiting list or anything to grab a room there is someone cancels?

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    booked at the hilton back bay. anyone know if its nice in comparison to the closer places?

It's further away but still accessible from the T. There will be a lot more people for Anime Boston there than PAX East in my opinion since the hotel is closer to the Hynes Convention Center. It's a nice hotel though :)

• Options
    WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    Just made my reservations at a holiday inn in north saugus. It is 20min drive avoiding tolls, but I do plan to be staying at PAX the full time and not making trips back. Have a habbit from all the amusement park vacations me and my wife have taken of:
    1. find cheap hotel with fridge,
    2. buy tons of deli meats, fresh fruits, drinks and such,
    3. make up tons of sub sandwhiches, gyros and the like and stock those in a cooler in the car.
    Im pretty sure our entire PAX hotel, food, travel for the three days will come under the price of one night at the closer hotels. I know the westin will be nice with all the PAX'ers in one spot, but hopefully twitter will keep me in the loop since this is our first PAX. Need to save my money for cool vendors and all. ;)

• Options
    MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    I went against my better instincts and didn't order at Thanksgiving... now I am stuck with a room at the Courtyard Boston Copley Square (Mariott). Is anybody else there with me!? Will our lobby be a hot mess of Arkham Horror and Munchkin? If not... I'll have to reconsider the trip entirely!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • Options
    MASeffect wrote:
    I went against my better instincts and didn't order at Thanksgiving... now I am stuck with a room at the Courtyard Boston Copley Square (Mariott). Is anybody else there with me!? Will our lobby be a hot mess of Arkham Horror and Munchkin? If not... I'll have to reconsider the trip entirely!

If not you can always just go hang out in the Seaport or Westin or Renaissance lobbies and return to your own for sleep ;)

• Options
    agqagq Registered User regular
    we decided to book at the omni parker house place thingy... lol. its a short walking distance from the event and looked like it had pretty good reviews. Looked like a gorgeous setup too.

• Options
    WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    I will for sure be up for sitting in other peoples hotel lobbys for late night munchkin'ing or zombies!!! :D

• Options
    MalkaraMalkara Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    This is our first time to PAX and we just booked the Park Plaza. I see a lot of people booking Westin and Seaport but not the ones currently still available. Is this due to distance from the BCEC?

Would have loved to book the Westin. Is there a waiting list or anything to grab a room there is someone cancels?

If you keep an eye open, you can generally snag rooms when people cancel. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that there's usually at least a few people cancelling closer to the actual event.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Malkara wrote:
    If you keep an eye open, you can generally snag rooms when people cancel. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that there's usually at least a few people cancelling closer to the actual event.

When a cancellation happens, does the room return to the room block and so it appears on the site (http://tinyurl.com/PAXEast2012Hotels)? Or do I need to contact the hotel directly to see if any have become available?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    Malkara wrote:

When a cancellation happens, does the room return to the room block and so it appears on the site (http://tinyurl.com/PAXEast2012Hotels)? Or do I need to contact the hotel directly to see if any have become available?

Rooms return to the block on the site. The hotels don't actually have ANY of the reservation information at this point. OnPeak handles everything until a few weeks before PAX when they transfer the (then current) reservations to the hotels.

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Speaking of... Once On Peak transfers your reservation to the Hotel, CALL THE HOTEL AND DOUBLE CHECK YOUR RESERVATION.

Sometimes the information the hotel gets is either wrong or they simply don't get it, this could leave you with a unpleasant surprise when you go to check in.

Edit: Once we've heard that onPeak has transferred the reservations, I'll make a post reminding everyone to do this. It's important! :D

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    SmallLady wrote:
    Speaking of... Once On Peak transfers your reservation to the Hotel, CALL THE HOTEL AND DOUBLE CHECK YOUR RESERVATION.

Sometimes the information the hotel gets is either wrong or they simply don't get it, this could leave you with a unpleasant surprise when you go to check in.

This is fantastic advice. Just in case anyone didn't see in my previous post, OnPeak will not transfer the reservations to the hotel until close to pax (1-3 weeks prior) so don't call them just yet.

• Options
    for those staying at the westin, you will also have the option of checking your reservation online through the westin site by entering your last name and the credit card number you used. of course, that won't be until the info is passed on to the hotels from onpeak, but it's pretty handy to print out a confirmation from the actual hotel to keep with you for check in, especially if you're paranoid like me.

7YIpfE5.png