As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bought new car -- when plates? (resolved)

Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts.Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Bought our first new car last month. Still rockin the dealer plates, which expire on Monday.

The thing is, I could have sworn that as I was finishing up the paperwork at the dealership that they said the things I would need would come in the mail. There is a slight chance that I misunderstood as the guy was both in a rush and something of a mumbly-joe. That said, I haven't received anything apart from the loan documents from the bank. Do I have to go to the DMV?

This is in Arlington, VA.

Drake Chambers on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I would go to the DMV. Your plates shouldn't have taken longer than 30 days to arrive.

E: Last time I went to the DMV for new plates, they handed them to me right there.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah they usually come in the mail if you buy a brand new car and don't transfer your plates.

Alternatively: Call the DMV and ask about it, go down there if necessary and get them. Last 2 times I went to get plates they handed me a pair right then and there.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    This is in Arlington, VA.

Call the dealership first; you more than likely paid them in your settlement costs to file the paperwork to acquire the plates for you. They're supposed to file the registration paperwork and should have the plates delivered to them.

That or you've been driving an unregistered car for a month!

adytum on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    when we bought our new car at the dealer, they just gave us new plates right then and there

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    I literally just went through this process. Call the dealership first, preferably you should talk to the agent who assisted you in the car buying process. If that doesn't help, calling DMV would be a good idea.

PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the advice. I ended up calling the dealership and found that they'll send me a postcard when the tags arrive for me to pick up. If they haven't arrived by this weekend I can always go out there and obtain new temporary tags.

I'm just relieved I don't have to go to the DMV. Every other time I've had to has ended up being a very long day.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Glad it worked out! Your dealership is not on the ball though; registering / titling a vehicle only takes a few minutes. The last time I bought a vehicle new, the dealer had the plates within about two weeks. I've also done a handful of title transfers & registrations at the DMV in the past few years, and they usually take less than 15 minutes if all the paperwork in order.

Good luck with the rest!

adytum on