As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Batman - Arkham Origins/Blackgate announced, October 25th release date GET HYPE

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Also, just so everyone knows

Dark Knight Returns Batman is best Batman. For an old man, he looks incredibly badass! This fact may change once I am able to use Year One's costume, but I doubt it.

Edit: I am so good at horrible TOTP's that its criminal. I'm confirming that the main villain and the next Batman game will be Dr. Skullnumbers. You heard it here first!

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah it will be calendarman, the game will lock you out of playing except on holidays.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Nah it will be calendarman, the game will lock you out of playing except on holidays.

Except for Christmas, that'll be dlc, or if you pre-order from Gamestop: Power to the Players!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well im not going to be home over the x-mas holidays so im going to have to cheat by fiddling with the date on my ps3 to get those done, but i think im going to try and get the rest legitimately...Its not like i needed much of a reason to put Batman: AA back into the PS3 for another playthrough anyway, but 400 riddle locations may not be something i want to redo a bunch heh.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Speaking of Calendar Man
    Super unimpressed... not sure what I was expecting since the guy's name is "Calendar Man" but it sure wasn't some dumpy looking fat guy.

As for the achievement, I'm definitely going to cheat. I just know I'd forget one of the days anyway...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    General spoilers for Batman as a character in Arkham City.

Batman definately was a huge dick to every criminal in the game though. Especially the interogations of riddlers informants.
    He was right to be a huge dick. Remember when you go into the Steel Mill and rescue that hapless Two-Face henchman? After a while, he turns around and attacks you! Fuck those guys.

When that happened I yelled out "WHAT THE FUCK, ASSHOLE?!"

My wife looked over and said "did that guy just clock you in the back of the head after you saved his life?"

"YES I KNOW, RIGHT?"

"What a dick."
    YES! I was shocked. After I had saved him, I went to see if there would be some dialogue with him. Nothing. So I turned my back and 'wham!'. I litterally said, "what the fuck?"

Ungrateful son of a bitch.

Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    New Game+ is difficult. I think I'm just going to try and blow through the story and not worry about side stuff...

Not looking forward to (Boss spoilers)
    Ra's and Clayface

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Kuratosu wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    General spoilers for Batman as a character in Arkham City.

Batman definately was a huge dick to every criminal in the game though. Especially the interogations of riddlers informants.
    He was right to be a huge dick. Remember when you go into the Steel Mill and rescue that hapless Two-Face henchman? After a while, he turns around and attacks you! Fuck those guys.

When that happened I yelled out "WHAT THE FUCK, ASSHOLE?!"

My wife looked over and said "did that guy just clock you in the back of the head after you saved his life?"

"YES I KNOW, RIGHT?"

"What a dick."
    YES! I was shocked. After I had saved him, I went to see if there would be some dialogue with him. Nothing. So I turned my back and 'wham!'. I litterally said, "what the fuck?"

Ungrateful son of a bitch.

The part that gets me is that he actually thought he could take out the goddamn Batman with a sucker punch.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    I have one major problem with Catwoman... they took the whole CAT thing a little to far. Her stealth animation is WAY to goofy. I get it, she has catlike movements, but they take that to an extreme. Lol, reminds me of a Secret Six moment, where deadpool mocks Catman for taking his theme "too far" when he dodged a bomb by leaping upward and hanging from a ceiling (much like how Catwoman does in this game).

I'm also getting annoyed by all these riddler things. They DOMINATE the landscape. Arkham City is so awesome looking, and these Riddler trophies everywhere I look can really ruin the landscape.

Don't get me wrong, these are small annoyances in an otherwise near perfect game... although the Data Corruption issues aren't as forgivable.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So the rumor is we get the Nightwing pack next week right? We still haven't seen anything about how he plays, and we don't know what challenge maps he comes with either (though I'd guess one of them is probably Joker's Carnival since that's the only preorder bonus not accounted for, right?).

Then three weeks after that we get Robin, and then two weeks after that we get the Batman costume pack.

Kind of disappointed Robin and Nightwing are stuck in the challenge maps and can't free roam.

What are the odds that this is all of the DLC that will be released? I'm kind of surprised Joker apparently isn't going to be playable in Challenge Maps since he was for the PS3 version of the last one (and unlike the last one, you'd only have to swap out the Joker thugs in this one since he'd still have to fight Penguin thugs and Two-Face thugs). I also wouldn't mind seeing the character from the Mysterious Watcher sidequest become playable since he'd surely have a unique fighting style and would have plenty of costumes they could give him.

Edit: Kind of surprised Gamestop didn't snag Nightwing as their preorder bonus. They usually manage to get one of the best ones, but this time all they got was a single challenge map while Best Buy got Robin (with 3 costumes + 2 challenge maps).

Lars on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    robin is so dope, it's sealed my fate on buying nightwing. i want the alternate costumes but i dunno if i can convince myself to buy those knowing i can potentially collect just the ones i want by searching the internets and offering trades.

• Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    Lars wrote:
    So the rumor is we get the Nightwing pack next week right? We still haven't seen anything about how he plays, and we don't know what challenge maps he comes with either (though I'd guess one of them is probably Joker's Carnival since that's the only preorder bonus not accounted for, right?).

Then three weeks after that we get Robin, and then two weeks after that we get the Batman costume pack.

Kind of disappointed Robin and Nightwing are stuck in the challenge maps and can't free roam.

What are the odds that this is all of the DLC that will be released? I'm kind of surprised Joker apparently isn't going to be playable in Challenge Maps since he was for the PS3 version of the last one (and unlike the last one, you'd only have to swap out the Joker thugs in this one since he'd still have to fight Penguin thugs and Two-Face thugs). I also wouldn't mind seeing the character from the Mysterious Watcher sidequest become playable since he'd surely have a unique fighting style and would have plenty of costumes they could give him.

Edit: Kind of surprised Gamestop didn't snag Nightwing as their preorder bonus. They usually manage to get one of the best ones, but this time all they got was a single challenge map while Best Buy got Robin (with 3 costumes + 2 challenge maps).

Ya I'm very surprised there isn't a playable Joker. Of course, I'm sure they'll milk this DLC thing, I'd bet on seeing multiple future playable characters.

Personally I'd rather have a playable challenge map where I have to take on ALL the normal human sized villains at once. I'd love to beat on Joker, Penguin, Two-Face, Riddler, Deadshot, ect for hours!
    Doing the stun fast attacks on the big bad guys that take 15 punches to knockout is SO epic. My favorite moment MAY have been laying the smackdown on Penguin.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    As far as recognizing voice actors, John DiMaggio (voice of Bender) wasn't actually in the game. I did, however, notice Steve Blum (Spike Speigel) in like every pack of enemies.

Also, in case Mr. Freeze sounded way too familiar to you and you couldn't place it: He's Calculon.

• Options
    Also, he's Kif.

• Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    John DiMaggio is the only suitable replacement for Hammil

• Options
    ryven wrote:

I agree with you. Crazy people will not agree with you.

Hearing Bender's Joker was the least offensive to my ears, and I am comfortable with the switch if that's what they have to do.

• Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    he was great in under the red hood, coincidentally bruce greenwood is the only person other than kevin conroy i can stand as batman lol

ryven on
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    ryven wrote:

I agree with you. Crazy people will not agree with you.

Hearing Bender's Joker was the least offensive to my ears, and I am comfortable with the switch if that's what they have to do.

I agree, DiMaggio does a damn fine Joker. He's no Hammil, but he does a good job and has his own take on it.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    ryven wrote:

Nah, I thought he was pretty bad.

• Options
    Well gamestop also got the TAS skin for batman, though Batman Beyond is the best batman skin and that came from a silly energy drink.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BAtman Beyond doesn't look as cool as I'd hoped. Not sure why. His wings just look dinky...

Plus, I don't need Batman's ass dimples in my face.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I'm kinda in the middle about DiMaggio doing Joker. I mean, yeah it's different but he can pull off the Laugh almost as well as Hamil. To me, that's a pretty big point in his favor.

Also, I'm kinda upset that Robin is mute.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Man, playing around with Batman Beyond in post game just makes me want all those costume options now. They need the classic versions of all the costumes, like yellow cape/elf shoes Robin.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote:
    I'm kinda in the middle about DiMaggio doing Joker. I mean, yeah it's different but he can pull off the Laugh almost as well as Hamil. To me, that's a pretty big point in his favor.

Also, I'm kinda upset that Robin is mute.

Yeah, especially considering he has a voice actor.

Think I said it before but I didn't really care for DiMaggio's Joker. It might have worked better with a different art style though. Sounded like he was envisioning a character design closer to Ledger's Joker and the one we got basically looked like Hamill's Joker so it didn't mesh in my mind.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    BAtman Beyond doesn't look as cool as I'd hoped. Not sure why. His wings just look dinky...

Plus, I don't need Batman's ass dimples in my face.

I totally do.

Also, big pet peeve, but I'm like barely 2 hours in and Batman has been knocked unconscious like 3 times. That just doesn't happen. One time is brain damage and any more: you're probably dead. Getting Knocked Out is getting ridiculously overused in pretty much every media format out there.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Eh, I thought DiMaggio's Joker is pretty damn good, especially compared to Helium Voice Joker from The Batman, the "not quite there" Joker from Brave and the Bold (which is odd, since the same voice actor did a damn fine Creeper in B:TAS) and the fine but not overly memorable Joker from Young Justice.

At any rate. How old is Tim in the comics? I was a little shocked to see Tim's this old in the game.

Oh, and I've got a question about the Riddler stuff around the cranes. You know exactly what I'm talking about.
    Grabbed the trophy by dunking one crane hook in the water and pulling it up... only to realize later that I needed that trophy to form the period of one of the hidden question marks.

Did I just screw myself out of ever solving that riddle in this playthrough?

Also, is it just me or are there tons less of the question mark view challenges? I kind of miss them.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Eh, I thought DiMaggio's Joker is pretty damn good, especially compared to Helium Voice Joker from The Batman, the "not quite there" Joker from Brave and the Bold (which is odd, since the same voice actor did a damn fine Creeper in B:TAS) and the fine but not overly memorable Joker from Young Justice.

At any rate. How old is Tim in the comics? I was a little shocked to see Tim's this old in the game.

Oh, and I've got a question about the Riddler stuff around the cranes. You know exactly what I'm talking about.
    Grabbed the trophy by dunking one crane hook in the water and pulling it up... only to realize later that I needed that trophy to form the period of one of the hidden question marks.

Did I just screw myself out of ever solving that riddle in this playthrough?

Also, is it just me or are there tons less of the question mark view challenges? I kind of miss them.

You didn't actually, the dot to that question mark is not that trophy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Does anyone else find the premise of Batman going to a prison and then beating up the prisoners kind of weird? Like, ethically?

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Microsoft *still* hasn't finished their fucking unauthorized access investigation so I still can't play this. /cry At least last week I had Blizzcon as an excuse to not be super mad. Now I'm mad though.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Tim's an old teenager (maybe, 17-19?) in the comics currently, I believe. Well, prior to the New 52, anyway. He was just replaced by Damien as Robin, but in RIP/Battle for the Cowl/etc I don't remember him looking quite as adult and badass as he does here in AC.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Ceno wrote:
    Man, playing around with Batman Beyond in post game just makes me want all those costume options now. They need the classic versions of all the costumes, like yellow cape/elf shoes Robin.

Speaking of Batman Beyond costume in NG+, apparently you retain it for cutscenes and such. As someone on another forum found, this includes a particular side mission that alters your appearance...
    2vjbdjd.jpg

I'd like to see that fight become a challenge map that adds the demented bunny mask to whoever you're playing as.

Lars on
  • Options
    Does anyone else find the premise of Batman going to a prison and then beating up the prisoners kind of weird? Like, ethically?

The prisoners themselves question this.

And warlock when I had my account suspended it took 18 business days to the day for restoration. Good luck.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Microsoft *still* hasn't finished their fucking unauthorized access investigation so I still can't play this. /cry At least last week I had Blizzcon as an excuse to not be super mad. Now I'm mad though.

Same problem my BF is having. They should have been done weeks ago. I'm sensing there were a LOT more accounts stolen then Microsoft wants the general public to find out about.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh, I didn't botch that riddle? Whew, good to hear. Considering how awesome the game is about letting you mark trophies for later, beat the location of trophies out of thugs (which never gets old, especially considering the lengthy list of lines Batman intimidates the thugs with) and such I didn't think Rocksteady would be dicks about that.

Huh, I guess I could buy this Robin as 18 or so. So what's Tim doing now in the comics now that Jerkface Robin has taken over and Dick's back to being Nightwing?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

The prisoners themselves question this.

And warlock when I had my account suspended it took 18 business days to the day for restoration. Good luck.

I reserved the game, but I'm letting my brother play through it first. I was watching him play, and there are just dudes milling about when he drops in, breaks all their arms, and then takes off again. I said, "Don't you find anything weird about that? Or that you're a prison detective?"

He shrugged and then batarang'd some dude and broke a security camera.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:

Same problem my BF is having. They should have been done weeks ago. I'm sensing there were a LOT more accounts stolen then Microsoft wants the general public to find out about.

From what I've been hearing that's what it sounds like to me too. The thing that pisses me off is I reported this in AUGUST. They didn't even start work on it until mid-September, and they were supposed to be done weeks ago. *sigh* I've called a couple times already and all the rep can tell me is "just wait longer" (which, I don't blame the customer service guy, he doesn't know shit about why they are not doing their jobs... still annoying to hear that)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dimaggio is the only non-Hamill Joker voice I've heard which was okay for me. I honestly can't make an objective statement about it; to me, when I see something that's supposed to be Joker related I will always think Hamill's work. However, Dimaggio was similar enough to that that it didn't bother me at, but was unique enough that it wasn't just trying to be a copy of the old voice.

Anyway, I have to agree that the Riddler stuff uglies up Arkham City. The stuff is just too blatant and too common; look off in any one direction and you'll see a half-dozen bright green pressure plates or question marks.

However, I really, really like the fact that combat involves a lot more combatants. There were only a handful of big fights in AA and most of the rest were 4-5 thugs. This time around, the average street brawl has about ten or so enemies so fights last longer than four seconds. Still trying to wrap my head around all the combat options/combat changes, though.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So remember the first time you go to the church? There's that thug standing under a kind of archway and if you land on it you can do a takedown where you HANG OF AND CHOKE HIM OUT WITH YOUR FEET?

Could you EVER do that again? I tried and tried but could never find a suitable place.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:

Yeah I had my account jacked back at the start of augst with a bunch of other guys. Its funny the gaming press just now seems to be catching wind of these. I would not be surprised if Microsoft got hit quietly and didn't bother to warn anyone. 18 business days seems really really excessive though.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular

To be fair, it isn't much of a prison so much as chaotic hellhole.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258