As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trenches comic: Tuesday Oct. 25, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited October 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-kL5nH76.jpg
But I didn’t WANT time off!

10/25/2011 - Anonymous

I was a contractor working for a large game company at the time, had only tested one title and was just finishing up my second. I got the feeling that they were going to fire a bunch of us after the title was over, but my lead kept telling me not to worry and that I was too valuable to let go. After the game had finished, I was driving from work and my phone rings.

“Your services are no longer required.”

I was crushed. I was only getting paid $7.50 an hour and with all my bills I had no means to support myself. For a solid week, I was job hunting and sent out literally HUNDREDS of applications. Also, because I had only worked for that company for 7 months I didn’t qualify for unemployment benefits.

I woke up one morning to my phone ringing. It was one of the other leads that I knew. “Hey, you want to work.” I leaped at the opportunity. I walked in the next day and the contract company rep stopped me and the following exchange took place:

Him: How’d you enjoy your week off?
Me: What?
Him: Yeah, we gave a couple of guys the week off for all the work y’all did.
Me: But… you called and fired me.
Him: Oh nononononono, that’s not what happened!
Me: Then why did you call and TELL me that my services were no longer required?
Him: Don’t worry about that, but we DO need you to refill out all your tax information.
Me: So you fired me?
Him: NO! Why do you keep assuming we fired you?

I decided to just stop and fill out the info for him again so I could come back from my “vacation.”

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Foot, meet mouth.

The story is pretty great.

admanb on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Why is the bug tracking software an 80s cartoon? I am confused.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That's the game he's testing.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Oh, I thought "Product" referred to the bug tracker.

• Options
    DextolenDextolen Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    <nevermind, post above explained it>

Dextolen on
  • Options
    This comic seems like it should have been in there somewhere between the 10/04 and 10/11 comics.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I liked the story. It seems realistic, involves a crappy job, an employee with a practical mindset, but hopeful.

Good story.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    jackal wrote:
    This comic seems like it should have been in there somewhere between the 10/04 and 10/11 comics.

At the very least, it seems like it should have come before the 10/18 comic, where he's (not) going home at the end of his first day.

In any case...in its own way, this may be my favorite Trenches Tale yet.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Locke6854Locke6854 Registered User regular
    Oh man... in response to the story, I would be furious! And then you realize that you have bills to pay and they really have you by the balls. You have to put your tail between your legs and agree with them so you can keep the job you desperately need.

I personally could never work as a game tester, but this isn't limited to that job. This is any "at-will employment". Moral of the story? Get your degrees people, or if you're like me and don't have one, join the military. You can stand up for yourself and they can't fire you unless you do something illegal (drugs? murder?) or you can't pass a test (and they often give second chances for the latter)

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    They're basically resetting his employment duration so they don't have to give him benefits when they fire and then maybe rehire him in another seven months. Very scummy.

• Options
    jothki wrote:
    They're basically resetting his employment duration so they don't have to give him benefits when they fire and then maybe rehire him in another seven months. Very scummy.

Except they are doing the opposite. In reality they have rehired him, but the paperwork will reflect no firing or rehiring. I assume there is some cost of firing and rehiring that they can avoid by lying about it.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    jackal wrote:
    jothki wrote:

Except they are doing the opposite. In reality they have rehired him, but the paperwork will reflect no firing or rehiring. I assume there is some cost of firing and rehiring that they can avoid by lying about it.

They needed the tax information redone, so there was obviously some paperwork involved.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    As someone who handles contractors exclusively. You end up having to do weird shit like that to avoid an employer-employee relationship.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Most of these stories seem to stem from the writer not understanding that they are under contract, and the company has no desire to hire them full time.

Now, how that's communicated to the writer might be part of the problem, as might the system that encourages this behavior, but I don't really intend to try and defend those.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    It's kind of weird to read one of these stories where the guy gets fired in the middle instead of at the end.

• Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    jackal wrote:

At the very least, it seems like it should have come before the 10/18 comic, where he's (not) going home at the end of his first day.

In any case...in its own way, this may be my favorite Trenches Tale yet.

I assume that Isaac spent his first "work day" learning how to use SPDRweb. Boss Man wasn't going to let him see the product until he was certain he would at least know how to do his job.

juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Is SPDRweb the name of an actual bug tracking software? If not, it should be. Quick, someone retronym it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Is SPDRweb the name of an actual bug tracking software? If not, it should be. Quick, someone retronym it.

I think some Langdell guy made a game by that title a few years back

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Oh my god

I loved that show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaMo4k7iG7s

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Bravestar got nothing on Silverhawks. They were silver dealers who also raised hawks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzAQu23t19A

I may be not remembering it correctly.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    LTM wrote:
    Most of these stories seem to stem from the writer not understanding that they are under contract, and the company has no desire to hire them full time.

Now, how that's communicated to the writer might be part of the problem, as might the system that encourages this behavior, but I don't really intend to try and defend those.
    This. Also the "contractors" don't seam to be pushing for employee status even though they might have been treated as one. I think that the way they write is dodgy about name and shame on their stories. Maybe they are simply redacted. The kind of thing where they don't want to make waves because they hope to keep working in the business. Of course it only takes one person with an FLSA complaint to get back overtime unemployment to mess up a company and never underestimate a spiteful nature of an employee who was let go.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The rep just breezing over it as a vacation after firing him while sending him scrambling to find a job to pay the bills is the sleazy part of this.

And the finest of space lawmen were the Galaxy Rangers. They had an awesome intro and never missed an opportunity to cash in on it at *least* once an episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3EoBl5uBfU

Kelor on
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    So this is one of those avant-garde webcomics without jokes?

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote:
    LTM wrote:

This. Also the "contractors" don't seam to be pushing for employee status even though they might have been treated as one. I think that the way they write is dodgy about name and shame on their stories. Maybe they are simply redacted. The kind of thing where they don't want to make waves because they hope to keep working in the business. Of course it only takes one person with an FLSA complaint to get back overtime unemployment to mess up a company and never underestimate a spiteful nature of an employee who was let go.

You have to figure for every Epic, or Bioware, there are a ton of other companies who have no moral qualms about disposing of employees like that. As someone who is a contractor, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that you are a disposable employee.

I think it's more refreshing actually - a salaried full time employee is practically the same as a contractor (in a at-will work state). The only difference is that term 'contractor' is more upfront about your employment prospects, and creates no illusions. It's still not fun, but at least they're upfront about it.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    I think that's the login screen for SPDRweb.

The fat guy put his favorite animé character on the home screen.

Because they do that kind of thing.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote:
    As someone who handles contractors exclusively. You end up having to do weird shit like that to avoid an employer-employee relationship.

By weird shit, do you mean flat out lying to their face? Because that is what is being described in this story.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    XenoCrashXenoCrash Registered User regular
    Indica1 wrote:
    So this is one of those avant-garde webcomics without jokes?

I paid for jokes, dammit!

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    You know, the implication in the comic seems to be that because the game is based on an 80's cartoon, it must automatically be horrifically bad, and what has Isaac gotten himself into with this terrible job and tee hee hee.

However, I was thinking about this earlier, and I submit this does not necessarily have to be the case. Imagine there really was a Bravestarr game being made today. Since Bravestarr is an old, relatively obscure property with a small fanbase, I would make a couple of educated guesses about a game based on it:

1. The people making the game are probably fans of the property (because otherwise they wouldn't have chosen something so obscure), and thus would likely be more invested in doing a good job. This is not to say that I have to be, say, a fan of Spiderman to take pride in my work and do my best in working on a Spiderman game, but if I were a Spiderman fan I think the "care factor" would definitely be a notch higher.

2. The target audience of the game would have to largely be other fans of the cartoon, since the cartoon aired in the 80's, said fans would all definitely be adults, and I could probably safely assume that I wasn't dealing with a piece of licensed shovelware aimed at children. This is not to say that all games aimed at children are crap or that "grown-up" gamers always have higher standards than kids and teens. But I would like to think that since adults probably have less free time to devote to leisure activities like games and are also more likely to be somewhat jaded, their standards might be somewhat higher.

All of this basically to say: I have never watched Bravestarr, but I don't think there's any reason to assume a Bravestarr game would be poop. In fact, the reasons are just as strong to suspect it might actually be halfway decent.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    MuddBudd wrote:
    zepherin wrote:

By weird shit, do you mean flat out lying to their face? Because that is what is being described in this story.
    Not the lying, but ending their contract for a week, and then contracting them again a week later.
    3lwap0 wrote:
    You have to figure for every Epic, or Bioware, there are a ton of other companies who have no moral qualms about disposing of employees like that. As someone who is a contractor, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that you are a disposable employee.
    Right for every good company there are a bunch of shitty companies that use contractors in a shady way, but many contractors don't know how to assert their rights or they are afraid to do it even after they are let go from that company. If a company tells you what time to be there, or gives you a boss, or tells you how to do your job, get it on record, and file for unemployment, and benefits when your contract is terminated, if you got them on a recording telling you how to do your job even better.

zepherin on