As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYOA] Space Australia: GAME. SET. MATCH.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    G - 2

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I really think more xeno farms are the way to go, but we wont know where they can be built until we know whats out there. Solar panels and exploration go!

I mean we DID research the less dangerous exploring, right?

H 1

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    A3 - 1

All 4x games is about one thing: Finding goodie huts! WE NEED TO FIND GOODIE HUTS!

steam_sig.png
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    C1. Don't need that crap growing on my hull!

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    A3 - 2

Exploring seems like a good way of giving our people a break from one another. I'm in favour of keeping our protective camouflage for now.

• CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    A3 - 2

Anything that makes our home look less like the prison gets my vote. Plus, everyone knows that we need the fungus to attract the mindworms.

• Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    Explore away. A3 - 2

I also wonder if the fungus is mentally communicating with anyone. Is this where the religious thoughts are coming from?

Explore away. A3 - 2

I also wonder if the fungus is mentally communicating with anyone. Is this where the religious thoughts are coming from?

I think you have been smoking the wrong fungus, here try some of mine.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Gonna go with A3, 2 as well. We need everything, but right now keeping folks from going stir crazy and/or uncovering more resources/learning about this godforsaken fungus ball of a planet is what we need.

As long as food/morale/resources don't deplete severely in the next couple of turns, I think the exploration should try to get to the second crash site sooner than later; we won't be able to find it or salvage anything if the fungus growth problems we have is any indication.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I think H 2

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    A3 - 2

Things are stable enough now, we should go ahead and explore a bit.

Darian on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Greeper's Cannibal Creepers agree we should get to the crash site, A3-1, but that fungus has to go

• Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    Explore away. A3 - 2

I think you have been smoking the wrong fungus, here try some of mine.

I thought E was looking into the recreational drug value of the fungus. do you have a head start on us?

:rotate:

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    A3 - 2

Another territory would give us another xenofarm, which is much better than the hydroponics bay.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    G2. I have a great feeling about that fungus!

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    A3-2

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    A2 - 2. Take that, majority!

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    H1.

Seems we can't have our labs anymore. In that case we should work on making sure we have more electricity. I would point out that some of the most creative electricians, possibly left anywhere in the universe, are ready and eager to get our hydroponics farms electrified and lit up, and kick this god damn xeno-goop off the menu for good.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Oh god what have I got myself into.

We opened the pod bay doors, and oh holy fuck since when does an uninhabited alien planet have human beings on it? Then holy fucking hell, those are the prisoners--how the fuck did they get out? Fuck.

Invert the prison or something. Some clever metaphor. But at any rate I don't much want to climb out into that (holy fuck it's hard to write italics by hand) so I turn around and of course briefly forget that the interior walls of the colony pod are pretty much painted with the flesh and blood that technician who saved us. For a moment I think about that and right as I dryheave some fuck fuckity fucking jackass from behind is already rushing to get out, pushes the crowd and fuck I go flying the fuck out the airlock ass fuck first into the dirt or whatever the motherfuck this thing is covered with. And then manage to roll the fuck over just quick enough to get my mask off, then not throw up but take half a fucking lungful of the motherfucking ammonia fuckgas this fucking planet calls a fucking atmosphere or whatever the fuck.

So there's our glorious colonization for you. We slam into the red mudball, the first one out the door is a guy called Jimmy the Snitch (who was, fuck, a snitch put in to manage to the prisoners on the flight. Maybe we should've not had prisoners at all you motherfuckers?!) who someone alternately designates the canary who's whole job it was decided was, instead of prison lynching, to be the guy who does everything first so Barry the Murderer or Angry whatever-the-fuck can sit back and be safe because lord fucking knows we can't endanger them and I meanwhile wonder why the fuck they're even here if a Federal mandated death-fucking-penalty. They could execute a guy who wasn't mentally competent to know why he was being killed but the guy who enthusiastically discusses killing narco officers, no, he clearly should live? Hm, something missing here - fuck fuck fuckity fuck. FUCK.

- Unattributed Journal Entry
    Colony Year 0.

• piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I might just be one of those botanists, but I feel that the solar array needs some looking into.

H-1

Also, I propose that individuals subject to execution for crimes against the colony be given the option of exposure to fungus. We could use some more information.

Edit: I would love to see this with more than one colony competing on the planet's surface.

piL on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Lets not have the death penalty. Space Utopia for everyone! Also, I propose our empire or at least something in it be named Zarek something. Zarek Collective (for that Hive flavour). Tom Zarek City.

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    G-2 for shits and giggles.

blahmcblah on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    These votes are getting to be fairly close. 10:7 on the cleaning vote.

Turn 5

Decision: A(3) - 2 Set out an expedition toward the crash site, keep the fungus

Overview: Glorious Space Australia
    Population: 2.2k [2.5k cap]
    Food: 3.4k [(+0.8k -1.1k)/turn] [Rationing]
    Resources: 3.5k [+0/turn]
    Energy: 4/5
    Morale: Unhappy [-2]
    Frozen Dead People : 0.3k [0.6k of food]

Pod Six Colony: New Botany Bay
    Xenofarm [+0.8k food per turn, -1 energy, 200 pop workers, Big]
    Crashed Pod [2.5k Housing, no energy requirement]
    Nuclear microreactor [+5 Energy]

Empty Hex 1
    Can have any(?) Big structure

Forces
    100 prisoners with guns [Level 1 Soldiers]

Research
    Planetology II: Basic Xenobotany [allows Xenofarm construction], Anti-fungal Design [Removes fungus problems on short trips]

Summary
    The strangest thing about the fungus or lichen or whatever you call the weird alien parasite was that it didn't tend to grow on anything but the native plants. Sure, you got the odd patch on a rock, almost invisible until you got up close, but it eerily seemed to bloom wherever there was life. At first this just meant on the colonists gear while they were out in the unbreathable air, but the increasingly thick coating on both the Xenofarm and the Colony Pod itself was just creepy. Still, it stopped the obviously manmade structures from standing out too badly and for a colony composed of hardened convicts that was priority one: Avoiding the enemy's notice so could drive a shiv into their back when they walked past.

A hundred brave men, lead by Jimmy the Snitch as always, but composed from all the factions (Even including the space farmers, the Jackaroos) marched out across the reddish sand. With the communication issues, even short range contact was impossible, and so once the explorers vanished from sight, there was nothing to do but wait.

It was not hard going, and being outside the colony pod provided a rare moment of bonding for the group. Sure, it would have be a small thing to slice an enemy's air pipe and watch him writhe on the ground as ammonia and carbon dioxide filled his lungs, but everybody manages to act like perfect gentleman and avoid taking advantage of a chance to off their enemies. The land beyond Pod Six to the east is fairly flat, a series of gently rolling hills, every so often somebody stops to scoop up a likely looking plant or interesting rock. The whole escapade is like being back at Scout Camp on Earth. The red sun above threatens to start its descent and even with their heated exhausted, there's only so much that men can do on foot. Every man has his arms full by the end of it even though the vegetation was sparse here even compared to the crash site. There's only so much a man can carry, a few inquire about the earlier idea of knocking together a few simple cargo rovers to help them carry their loot.

Aside from the new plant samples and promising geological elements, there's no radiation dangers or change in the atmospheric makeup. A few deeper craters are dotted around, but the ammonia tends to pool in them, creating alkali pits that are too dangerous to explore for now.

[Exploration role: Difficulty 10. 13! Success. They find something of immediate value. It's... 200 food]

Brief study of the plants reveals most of them are again utterly worthless as food and all of them are coated with the dark fungal growths. There is an exception, however - something like a tree, a squat cylinder the height of a man (or a little more) topped with a saucer shape. Beneath the fungus the whole thing is a brownish green and all of it has a waxy yet fibrous texture. The promise comes from its "fruit" (or as another team thinks, it's sensory organs): vines the width of a thumb that burst out from the saucer and then dangle down onto the earth. The white fruit is coated by a particularly thick layer of alien lichen but it's easily transformed into food and tastes a little better than the cabbages. Both could be grown quite easily, it won't improve yields, but it will improve the variety on the menu.

Several bearded men who must be geologists seem to think that it's a decent site for a mine/manufacturing centre. Right now there are some technical issues (transportation to sustain a growing industry mainly) but they are confident that there's decent ore in the ground. They might even get lucky and find something rare while they're prospecting for the mine.

[Population growth roll 1d6(-2) - 1d6. 3(-2) - 5. No growth again. Sad sperm just can't fertilise those eggs]

Angry Bruce is pleased, but more land for his empire means he'll need to start splitting his forces. Running an effective police state was difficult enough as it was with so few guns, and now he was under pressure to send some of his troops off to keep an eye on things to the east. Aside from the inevitable rise in incidental shankings that were part and parcel of prison life it could lead to some of the less stable elements starting to flout the law. And what was prison without law?

And then there's the other pod, the smoke has long gone, but it can't be far now. Somewhere in those increasingly rocky hills.

Map
    (Green numbers are for explored hexes, red numbers are exploration directions.)
    Turn5.png

Decision Time
    (Choose a letter and a number)

A - Explore a hex [see the map, give a direction]
    B - Build More Housing [+0.5k population cap, needs 1 energy, costs 0.5k resources]
    C - Build Hydroponics Bay [+0.5k food per turn, needs 2 energy, costs 1k resources]
    D - Build Labs [needs 4 energy, costs 3k resources]
    E - Build Xenofarm in Hex 1 [+0.8k food per turn, needs 1 energy, needs 200 population to work, costs 1500 resources, is Big]
    F - Research Planetology [Narcotic uses of Xenobotany]
    G - Research Industry [Transport - Rovers for better exploration]
    H - Research Fundamental Science [Communication problems]
    I - Research Fundamental Science [Solar Array problems]
    J - Research Military [Improvised Weapons]

1) Send 20 soldiers to keep an eye on the new lands you've claimed for Space Australia
    2) Keep all the troops together, there's nobody out there to claim jump.

piL wrote:
    Edit: I would love to see this with more than one colony competing on the planet's surface.
    I think if it's PVP you end up needing to run things in a much clearer and fairer manner to avoid people getting upset. That said, there's another forum I'd love to try this on. Non-intersecting parallel worlds would be fascinating. Still, ain't got no time.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    I think most people voted to explore the southeast hex rather than the northeast hex. Not me though! :D

Let's remedy the communications breakdown. H2

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    In this dark future we could use some narcotics. F-2

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Tmoiy wrote:
    I think most people voted to explore the southeast hex rather than the northeast hex. Not me though! :D

Tits. How did I cock that up? Err, does anybody really care? I could change it, if needed.

• ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    A4 - 2

We have to salvage what we can, also we have met no hostile forces so sending out guards at this point of time is a bit too paranoid.

Mojo_Jojo: Nah we really don't care that much so long as we can get to the crash site as soon as possible.

Erlec on
    steam_sig.png
    Let's get some rovers, drag racing is gonna be all the rage on this empty planet.

Also I think dooming people to working at the death pits farming site without proper housing or solar panels or transport there and back would be a bad idea.

No structure, no need to defend it However we might need some resources soon.

G-2

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    A4-2

Goodie Boxes AHOY!

Capfalcon wrote:
    A4-2

Goodie Boxes AHOY!

You have encounter hostile natives!

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    If the crash site has anything useful we probably need some vehicles to be able to get it home. I vote for G-2.

I think we were mainly looking for space and getting close to the crash site, so it doesn't really matter which spot it was. It should be fine to leave it alone. Of course, we'd all be screaming shennanigans if we had discovered nano-herpes or something in that sector, but it turned out just fine. :P

Anyway, I still say we should check out the crash site before it's too late, so A4 - 2. Potential resources from the remainder of the ship, best to get it before it's too hard to find.

Capfalcon wrote:
    A4-2

Goodie Boxes AHOY!

You have encounter hostile natives!

Psh. That's what the guns are for.

We do need to fix the transportation and communcations after we explore this next hex, though.

G - 2

I think that if we find anything big at the crash site we will need transport to bring it back.

Also need to get another Xenofarm or Hydroponics Bay setup in the next few turns too; once we cut out rationing, morale should improve, right?

Do we need to build a reactor in the hex, or will the power be shared throughout our empire?

edited October 2011
    Capfalcon wrote:
    Do we need to build a reactor in the hex, or will the power be shared throughout our empire?

Right now you'll be laying big fat cables to give them power. This might cause problems. Also, no uranium = no more nuclear reactors.
    Also need to get another Xenofarm or Hydroponics Bay setup in the next few turns too; once we cut out rationing, morale should improve, right?

If you stop rationing, then you'll be able to make the roll to improve your morale yeah. Right now it's just getting skipped each turn.
    Actually, rolling would be silly. Going to full rations would raise morale back to fine the turn you do it.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    F1

A group of stationary armed men would provide an opportunity for more long term observations of this planet. More importantly, the potential use of alien botany as narcotics would both help acquire my fix and help secure the power of the growing ruling class, as long as it's distribution was controlled.

piL on
    I just realized we should be coming up with a horrible pun/mash-up name for our new fruit/sensory organ food crop.

The only thing my tired mind could think of was p-eye-neapples, which is absolutely terrible and I may have violated some international laws just saying it. As pioneering explorers of Space Australia, we must give things names before we eat it/exploit it/conquer it/mate with it!

I just realized we should be coming up with a horrible pun/mash-up name for our new fruit/sensory organ food crop.
    Yes, yes you do.