As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ITT: We play Wizardry 8

1235»

• Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gadgeteer is awesome. Do it. You won't regret it. The omnigun is a cannon of death later in the game.

Also surprisingly awesome? Bishops. Dear lord if you save their spell-picks, once you get enough money for a few books they're like an infinite supply of magic power. Mine has never NOT cast a spell during combat. Weapon skills are for suckers.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah I used bishop last time. He was a god. Ooooh man. I'm currently playing Excite Truck and FF6 GBA... I can't start this...

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah I used bishop last time. He was a god. Ooooh man. I'm currently playing Excite Truck and FF6 GBA... I can't start this...

Dooo it. I am currently running through with an all fighter/hrbrid team and its awesome.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just had my Gadgeteer create a tripleshot xbow for my Fighter to use at range.

It's really amazing - the fighter is now seriously outdamaging the Gadgeteer and her omnigun at anything but long-range. And the long-range stuff is just because she has eagle eye and the fighter does not so he sprays quarrels all over the landscape. I mean, 10% blind is nice and all, but crazy raw damage is so much better.
    I can't imagine what a Ranger with that weapon would look like. Utterly terrifying with the insta-kill shots at long range.

Also, Vi Domina makes a shitty Hybrid since she's not around consistently enough for me to get her magic skills up. I've made her into a fighter so I can get all the Berserky goodness. This is working much better.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Suggestions on this party.

Fighter, Lord or Priest, Gadgeteer, Ranger, Alchemist, Bishop

Seems like this group would be a little wimpy on the Brawn, but I like the Alchemist for the money and have never had a Ranger or Bishop.
    What would be this groups weaknesses. Suggestions on changes?

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This would probably work. You really only need one or two tanks because the two RPCs that are most reliable (i.e. aren't whiny bitches who won't go anywhere) are tank-ish.

This is, in fact, almost identical to the party I'm using right now. I have a Fighter, Lord, Gadgeteer, Alchemist, and Bishop. I just have a Bard instead of a Ranger. I love my Bard, and the instruments pack a wicked punch in the early-to-mid game, but a Ranger is really nice too. I pine for auto-search, and ranged insta-kill is awesome. I wish there was a better RPC one - Sparkle is godawful annoying and won't go to a lot of the interesting areas in the game.

One drawback is that between your Ranger and Gadgeteer you'll be really ammo-dependent. And ammo is annoyingly heavy. So either you walk around encumbered and take a initiative hit, or you're going to need to pump strength on some characters you otherwise wouldn't.

I would probably take a Priest over a Lord. I'm no expert, so I may have done some crappy development but my Lord is lagging behind the rest of my party right now (my quickest levelers have just hit level 16). He's mostly there to soak up damage and to cast buffing spells early in combat, which is helpful but a Priest can probably do it just as well if not better.
    I think the Turn Undead, Miracle, and improved spellcasting abilities of the Priest probably make up for not having awesome armor or dual-wield like the Lord does. Of course, you aren't exactly making a big mistake with a Lord. Any and all characters have a role they can shine

rattletrap on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If you arent going to be offensive with your Priest then a Valk or Lord will do it nearly as well[like 95%] just a bit later.

Divinity is easy to "train" to reasonable levels with certian spells and your two main areas of spellcasting will rise fast enough if you pump them[divine and water].

The thing that the Valks have over the Priest is:

1) Offense: There are some nasty items out there for Lords and Valks. Notably:

For Lords:
    The Vampire Chain/Diamond Eyes

This makes a nasty combination. The Vampire Chain is a "late game" weapon[custom Ferro] and Diamond Eyes is a random drop in a more difficult area[afaik], but they are both goooood. A Hammer and Disruptor Mace arend bad in he iterim, and no other weapon skill but dagger will go up at once while dual wielding.

For Valks:
    Dread Spear: Damage = Decent. 50% Hex = Mu ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Hex is the opposite of superman[and you know how strong that is], and at 50% it lands on pretty much any enemy you will attack.

Oh, and its a set purchasable item. Stun Rods and Mindblast rods arent bad either with 20% paralyze and 75% stamina drain[mindblast also adds in 5% KO] and can be found in martens bluff very easily

2) Priests cant wear Infinity Helms

Yea, he can change classes to fighter/lord/valk/ranger/samurai but really, that is lame.

Infinity Helms are simply the best item in the game, hands down, thank you for playing. 14 AC, 5% resist all, +2 HP/round, +5 Stamina/round, +5 SP/round. Doesnt get any better, not even the lava lamp, rousing drums, Superman Belt.

Id rather have an infinity helm than a light sword and those things are ridiculous.

Did i mention that a vendor sells them? And keeps them in stock?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I did not know about the infinity helm. This makes me mucho happy about having a Lord rather than a Priest. <makes a beeline for the relevant vendor>

Also, according to the site you linked on the front page, Diamond Eyes has a set location. It is hidden though (i.e. needs to be Search'ed).

I know it's "common practice", but dualing my Bard into Rogue nearly broke my heart. I had pretty much all of the Bard-only gear! It was so pretty! And now so very useless.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    rattletrap wrote: »
    I did not know about the infinity helm. This makes me mucho happy about having a Lord rather than a Priest. <makes a beeline for the relevant vendor>

Also, according to the site you linked on the front page, Diamond Eyes has a set location. It is hidden though (i.e. needs to be Search'ed).

I know it's "common practice", but dualing my Bard into Rogue nearly broke my heart. I had pretty much all of the Bard-only gear! It was so pretty! And now so very useless.

Go back. The Bardic Music bonus and camping bonus is worth it. You camp faster, which saves you real, in game time if you need to do various stuff.

The 25% bonus is worth it because:

1) The Rogue gets no bonuses to combat related disciplines
    2) The Bard, since you have probably been adding strength to carry all those insturments will become a decent "heavy hitter"[i usualy go str/vit instead of the more commin int/dex and run int/dex later]
    3) The Bard, due to the bardic equipment, and others, has better AC than the Rogue unless the Rogue has a high stealth.
    4) The Rogue changed at 18 will pretty much never have a high stealth.
    5) Bard Equipment is "cool", not to mention good[stat boosts!] And makes you a better fighter than rogue equipment.
    6) The 25% bonus to Music is the difference between getting things to stick and not. Its the difference between level 5 haste half the time and level 7 haste all the time. It is 20 to 30 extra hit points on the Dulcimer of Mending.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ZhouZhou Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really couldn't get into this when things started to go futuristic. I had been so jazzed up about playing a classic CRPG. Then things went all nuts and I totally lost interest.

Kinda sad really.

Zhou on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If you have a dead weight character for instance, i am bringing Myles along for god knows what reason. A good thing to do with them is class change. After pumping myles skills up i changed him to a fighter for better armor.

BUT i had been pumping stealth and shield and no other combat skills while having him defend Vi.

He was defending Vi because this is my "uber powergame" run through, so all my non-RPC's have 100 stealth via the "start as ninja/rogue, let weak enemies attack you overnight with +health regen items on", or just really good AC[give them all shields and you will have them all at 100 in a night or so]

[My ninja and Samurai have maxed primary casting, earth skill, and power cast due to knock knock training for instance, the Two valks near max mental and max divinity due to divine trap]

Anyway, so Vi gets attacked a lot by things that can hit past the back row. So i gave Myles a shield, stuck him in the back and just had him constantly defend Vi while pumping vit and dex.

End result is that Vi takes about half the attacks she normally does and Myles gets skill ups in stealth, shield, and iorn skin/reflexion faster.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    This makes a nasty combination. The Vampire Chain is a "late game" weapon[custom Ferro] and Diamond Eyes is a random drop in a more difficult area[afaik], but they are both goooood. A Hammer and Disruptor Mace arend bad in he iterim, and no other weapon skill but dagger will go up at once while dual wielding.

Isn't the chain an extended reach weapon? When I tried to wield a bullwhip (also extended) and nunchuka (short, like Diamond Eyes), the game didn't let me.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Isn't the chain an extended reach weapon? When I tried to wield a bullwhip (also extended) and nunchuka (short, like Diamond Eyes), the game didn't let me.

Both the bullwhip and chain are 1-handed weapons. Were you a ninja or monk? Only they can wield nunchaka. Try dual wielding with a hammer instead. If that doesn't work... I dunno.

As for me, back to Bard! I just wish I had found the Bard rapier before I leveled past the one enemy that drops it.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Both the bullwhip and chain are 1-handed weapons. Were you a ninja or monk? Only they can wield nunchaka. Try dual wielding with a hammer instead. If that doesn't work... I dunno.

This was with a ninja. Whip was in the primary hand, nunchaka was attempted to be placed in the secondary hand. No go. The nunchaka (or whatever weapon really) gets placed in the offhand while the bullwhip gets removed from the primary hand.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited March 2007

This was with a ninja. Whip was in the primary hand, nunchaka was attempted to be placed in the secondary hand. No go. The nunchaka (or whatever weapon really) gets placed in the offhand while the bullwhip gets removed from the primary hand.

Vamp chain is extended and one handed. If i cant use diamond eyes in the secondary ill just end up sad and put something else there[or give it to my two hander guy]

Otherwise i dont know what the issue was.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I have a bullwhip on the belt of my Bishop in my current party. I'll check if I can dual wield it w/ my Lord when I get home.

Both the bullwhip and nunchaku are wieldable by a ninja. It's really strange that it didn't work.

EDIT: Yeah... you can't dual wield an extended weapon even if it's 1-handed. You CAN use a shield with it though.
    Wacky.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Made it all the way to ascension peak, but the game crashes when I try to zone in :p

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    skace wrote: »
    Made it all the way to ascension peak, but the game crashes when I try to zone in :p

odd, which way are you going in?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zhou wrote: »
    I really couldn't get into this when things started to go futuristic. I had been so jazzed up about playing a classic CRPG. Then things went all nuts and I totally lost interest.

Kinda sad really.

Things going "all futuristic" isn't an uncommon element of a "classic CRPG". See: Ultima II, Might and Magic II, all sorts of earlier Wizardry games...

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Tried rapax entrance and the mountain path, both = crashors. I considered getting to ascension peak a victory and I'm installing stalker :p.

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Tried rapax entrance and the mountain path, both = crashors. I considered getting to ascension peak a victory and I'm installing stalker :p.

Ascension peak is the hard part...

I recall this problem happening before. Give it a google.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ah I see, needed a patch. Cool.

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There seems to be no place to find this without paying a bunch of money anymore. Any other sites out there that have this at a reasonable price? I think originally it was an EB exclusive or something which may be why it's rarer.

cemetery man on