As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kick[chat]

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Daria was on MTV.

Daria is the best.

Not when you watch all of it back to back.

Then Jane is the best.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Speaking of Halloween, is there anyone here who can get to Washington DC by Monday and is willing to be part of a Human Centipede with me?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My brother went to a Halloween party as Zombie Steve Jobs last night.

• Options
    Jane Lane was the best Daria Character.

I do like that Quinn showed growth though.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    My brother went to a Halloween party as Zombie Steve Jobs last night.

....I bet there is tons of that this year, like with Steve Irwin's death

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:

SO WRONG

Jake Morgandorffer is the best Daria character.

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Mim wrote:

SO WRONG

Meh. Jake was too mental.

I just know Daria wasn't the best.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Q: I stay in a big city and earn twice the income as someone in a rural area. However, everything I buy also costs twice as much as my rural counterpart's. In economic terms, am I earning the same real income as my rural counterpart?

A: NO. NO NO NO NO. Good lord how many times has this issue come up in D&D. You are earning twice as much and you are consuming twice as much as your rural fellow. It is because you are living in a place where it is more difficult, in real terms, to get stuff to you - labor costs, rent, etc. Is this so hard to grasp?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote:
    Q: I stay in a big city and earn twice the income as someone in a rural area. However, everything I buy also costs twice as much as my rural counterpart's. In economic terms, am I earning the same real income as my rural counterpart?

A: NO. NO NO NO NO. Good lord how many times has this issue come up in D&D. You are earning twice as much and you are consuming twice as much as your rural fellow. It is because you are living in a place where it is more difficult, in real terms, to get stuff to you - labor costs, rent, etc. Is this so hard to grasp?

But like.

If a farmer eats one potato a day.

And I, a hip urbanite eats one potato a day.

We are both consuming one potato a day.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Good morning [chat].

• Options
    Anyone here have any experience with 3d modelling?

I kinda want to try making weapons for Skyrim

• Options
    Anyone here have any experience with 3d modelling?

I kinda want to try making weapons for Skyrim

I have 3D modeling experience, but I'm only willing to do nude.

• Options
    By swapping his glasses he could have gone as Zombie John Lennon.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Mim wrote:

SO WRONG

Look, we can all come together and say that Daria was cool and the characters were neat.

Jane was great

Jake was great

Lets hug it out.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    ronya wrote:

But like.

If a farmer eats one potato a day.

And I, a hip urbanite eats one potato a day.

We are both consuming one potato a day.

so we are

and you stay on the coast and eat fresh fish delivered straight from the dock every day

and I stay in the middle of a desert and eat fresh fish flown in every day

one of us is, in fact, consuming more than the other

you're not just consuming "a potato", you're consuming "a potato plus all the work needed to get it to your supermarket"

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote:
    so we are

and you stay on the coast and eat fresh fish delivered straight from the dock every day

you're not just consuming "a potato", you're consuming "a potato plus all the work needed to get it to your supermarket"

No. I'm just eating a goddamn potato.

• Options
    ronya wrote:
    so we are

... good thing you grew it in your hip urban rooftop garden, I guess? Or is moving the potato from farm to town non-contributory to your welfare now?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    so we are

... good thing you grew it in your hip urban rooftop garden, I guess? Or is moving the potato from farm to town non-contributory to your welfare now?

I don't actually eat potatoes, they're peasant food. It was a metaphor.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Mim wrote:

SO WRONG

Thus the basis of his appeal.

• Options
    This is pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqS1G9nGwLQ

I think I shall see Tintin today.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    so we are

that's it, you're next at the guillotine

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    ronya wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    so we are

that's it, you're next at the guillotine

The peasants have no truffle carpaccio?

Let them eat potato.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    German whiskey is the worst whiskey. Also mrs. Dee lost her iPhone, but still hasn't set up An iCloud account or use any iPhone locating software. Please pm if you have any recovery ideas. She's very sad. It's probably in this house

You might be able to call the network operator's tech support and get them to connect to it. They can tell you if it's on and has a network connection. If it does have one, then you can just call it over and over.

Also, it's probably in the couch.

I'm thinking the same thing. I saw her preying plants vs zombies as we got off the train. It's definitely here somewhere. Gracias

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Check the freezer, Deebaser.

It's always sometimes in there.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    10 and a bit gigs out of 12 and a bit downloaded of borderlands.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hm. Looks like living in NYC is only about +50% living in Seattle. The way people were going off about how expensive it is I'd expect it to be at least +100%.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Saw Everclear last night for the second time and they were good.

Saw Lit tonight for the first time and they rocked the house.

Seeing Red Jumpsuit Apparatus for the first time tomorrow night.

On top of which? It's the end of October and there's no snow on the ground here in North Dakota.

Life is pretty good right now.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Hm. Looks like living in NYC is only about +50% living in Seattle. The way people were going off about how expensive it is I'd expect it to be at least +100%.

that's because they were comparing it to the hideous wasteland which lies south of the mason-dixon.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Snow is in all the wrong places, it seems

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) considers households that pay more than 30 percent of their monthly income on housing to be “cost-burdened” and those paying more than
    50 percent of their income to be “severely cost-burdened.” But a recent study showed that nearly 28 percent of New Yorkers—529,171 renters—are paying 50 percent or more of their income toward rent, a 15 percent increase since 1999.70 Perhaps even worse, our analysis of Census data from 2006 found that a whopping 40 percent of renters in the city spent 35 percent or more of their income on rent.

neat

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Non-Americans of [chat]:

When you think of American accents, what comes to mind? The general American accent that most people have, or the thick Southern accent of a stereotypical redneck American? Having an argument with my sister.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    tyrannus wrote:
    The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) considers households that pay more than 30 percent of their monthly income on housing to be “cost-burdened” and those paying more than
    50 percent of their income to be “severely cost-burdened.” But a recent study showed that nearly 28 percent of New Yorkers—529,171 renters—are paying 50 percent or more of their income toward rent, a 15 percent increase since 1999.70 Perhaps even worse, our analysis of Census data from 2006 found that a whopping 40 percent of renters in the city spent 35 percent or more of their income on rent.

neat

the downside of a historical reliance on rent control to control housing costs (because other state measures to improve the supply of housing aggravate too many vested interests)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote:

that's because they were comparing it to the hideous wasteland which lies south of the mason-dixon.

This makes me chuckle.

Because comparing Seattle to NYC living expenses is like comparing apples to apples of a slightly different color.

Then again I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Cost of living here is so ridiculously cheap. Seriously I can get a two bedroom apartment, and a good one, for less then $500 a month.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Next they'll be complaining that they have to spend more on Chicklets than if they bought it off a kid in Mexico.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Non-Americans of [chat]:

When you think of American accents, what comes to mind? The general American accent that most people have, or the thick Southern accent of a stereotypical redneck American? Having an argument with my sister.

erm...I don't tend to think of just one accent. Depends on context, I guess.

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote:

Next they'll be complaining that they have to spend more on Chicklets than if they bought it off a kid in Mexico.

'tis more sensible to complain about cost-of-living when denominated in different currencies and across substantial barriers to arbitrage, really

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BobCesca wrote:
    Non-Americans of [chat]:

erm...I don't tend to think of just one accent. Depends on context, I guess.

I'll put you down for "general American," then. Thank you!

• Options
    "general American" is newscaster American, right? Put me down in that group too.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Wash wrote:
    Snow is in all the wrong places, it seems

We havent had a nice fall we want to take the little one out for pictures but its been too cold and wet, the snow can stay away till we got our pictures.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote:

This makes me chuckle.

Because comparing Seattle to NYC living expenses is like comparing apples to apples of a slightly different color.

Then again I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Cost of living here is so ridiculously cheap. Seriously I can get a two bedroom apartment, and a good one, for less then $500 a month.

I pay $1400 for a shitty 800 sq ft apartment in an outer borough, but apparently that's some sort of "luxury"

This discussion has been closed.