As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Please post in new thread.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I've been thinking I might go with a Khajiit archer type of character, and seeing the racial bonuses, I believe this would be a good choice indeed.

Not really sure what magic I'd add to that, but probably would need something like Illusion or the like. Wonder if we can poison arrows in this.

I seem to recall that you would wind up applying the poison to the bow in Oblivion. I'm not sure how that really works, but it did.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I've come to the conclusion that the racial bonuses are pretty much useless :P. Now that I have a bit more (I think) of a basic understanding I figure that you will easily and quickly skill up in the areas you intend to use simply because you will be using them.

Racial abilities on the other hand seem much better. Especially the ones that give resistances (Breton looks awesome). Not sure about whether some will "scale". Eg the DE one: Ancestor’s Wrath : For 60 seconds, opponents that get too close take 8 points per second of fire damage. That might be good at the start but unless it scales it will presumably become fairly meaningless. Whereas the Breton one Dragonskin : Absorb 50% of magicka from hostile spells for 60 seconds should always be effective...

Matz on
    2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    No, it's unlikely that the starting daily powers* will scale. Traditionally, Bethesda hasn't been great about balancing racial bonuses.

*I'm assume they're still daily powers.

• RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    Matz wrote:
    Thanks guys. I think that helps a lot. So I really shouldn't be too concerned about choosing a race with particular starting bonuses.

However the racial abilities is a bit different though perhaps. ie - having an inante 25% resistance to magic (Breton?) or a 50% resistance to fire (Dark Elf) looks useful...

IMO, the passives aren't really worth looking at - not because they're useless, mind, but because the edge that they give is fairly minor. The activated abilities are the ones that can have a ridiculous effect on what you're doing, and it looks like most of them have been changed/tweaked.

To look at it a different way, passive abilities make your day-to-day easier, ie 'that wolf had rabies, good thing I resist disease' or 'pesky imps and their fireballs, good thing I resist fire/magicka/lightning'.

Activated abilities are what will allow you to get away with some heinous bullshit - murder everything in your path, escape when you clearly should have died, talk down the city guards when you punched the mayor right in his stupid, fat face, etc.

• DarisDaris Registered User regular
    So reading up a bit on the lore of the different peoples in the game. I'm curious how much I will be punished or rewarded for my actions with the different factions. In a lot of similar titles it's been pretty severely punished. Hopefully it will be mostly handled in quests barring some despicable actions in public.

Anyone have more experience? I only played a small bit of Oblivion, but playing Fallout 3 felt a bit linear... faction wise. Maybe that was just a result of my own personality choices, but it just seemed there was no way to befriend certain factions if you weren't a monster. Some even if you were...

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i'm watching a lot of streams and it seems to me that there's a quite a bit of NPCs that are marked as essential. sad day

• RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    Daris wrote:
    So reading up a bit on the lore of the different peoples in the game. I'm curious how much I will be punished or rewarded for my actions with the different factions. In a lot of similar titles it's been pretty severely punished. Hopefully it will be mostly handled in quests barring some despicable actions in public.

Anyone have more experience? I only played a small bit of Oblivion, but playing Fallout 3 felt a bit linear... faction wise. Maybe that was just a result of my own personality choices, but it just seemed there was no way to befriend certain factions if you weren't a monster. Some even if you were...

No idea how it will play out with Skyrim, but in other elder scrolls titles there've been 2 main "good" factions and 2 main "bad" factions. Good guys are the fighter's guild and the mage's guild, bad guys are the thieves' guild and the dark brotherhood.

In oblivion you could do missions for all 4 factions but IIRC if you did the dark brotherhood ones first you couldn't finish the quest line for...fighter's guild, I think? Also, you could only join the main storyline faction, the blades, if you were a good guy in oblivion. There was also the issue that if you were in any way a criminal, you couldn't get healed of diseases in temples, which was a pretty huge disadvantage. DLC fixed it but...meh. Best bet is to pick mages/fighters and then wait for some kind soul to post on a wiki what you can and can't do when it comes to the factions in skyrim.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    tyrannus wrote:
    i'm watching a lot of streams and it seems to me that there's a quite a bit of NPCs that are marked as essential. sad day

Its either this or a morrowind-like "doing this will mean you can never play the main campaign" everytime you kill someone crucial to a quest. The fact that they have a system in place for smaller quests which incorporates wanton murder is more than any other game does

Prohass on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Daris wrote:

In Oblivion, every faction had a linear questline that was completely separate from every other faction, and you could go through all of those questlines regardless of your character build, even if it didn't make any sense. In Morrowind, some factions would ask you to do things that would get you kicked out of other factions, and you couldn't progress very far in a questline if you weren't of the correct character type.

edited November 2011
    Prohass wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:

Its either this or a morrowind-like "doing this will mean you can never play the main campaign" everytime you kill someone crucial to a quest. The fact that they have a system in place for smaller quests which incorporates wanton murder is more than any other game does
    i think the "any other game" isn't really fair to New Vegas, the game that let you kill Caesar and like everyone else

tyrannus on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The only person that made the main quest in Morrowind completely borked if you killed him was Yagrum Bagarn before you have him unlock the Wraithguard for you. Then you can kill him.

New Vegas you can kill everyone except the Yes Man.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    Yeah, New Vegas kind of surprised me in that you didn't need to do a quest to kill Cesar. If you were enough of a bad dude, you could just fight through his people and kill him.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I'm rolling a nord and going to try to make him look as much like this guy as possible:

valhalla-rising-006.jpg

I'd rather see the "you fucked up" message anyway

well too bad

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Been playing through Shivering Isles with a moderately modded Oblivion (I don't need/want all the stuff in the OP, I just did some quality of life stuff...the textures, natural environments, the extra outdoor zone stuff, and the enhanced hotkeys).z Never played SI, so I am enjoying this. It's kind of funny in a morbid way.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote:
    I'm rolling a nord and going to try to make him look as much like this guy as possible:

valhalla-rising-006.jpg

That was a really good movie.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited November 2011
    The first 30 minutes was incredible. The rest was slow but still enjoyable just because One-Eye was such a mesmerizing character. Bethesda apparently took some inspiration from Valhalla Rising for the overall atmosphere of Skyrim, which is awesome. There was a photo of One-Eye in a book the sound designer was using, in one of the making of videos I saw way back.

Heisenberg on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    What movie is it?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote:
    What movie is it?

Valhalla Rising

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJMVeJ7KLw

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Derrick wrote:
    Banzai5150 wrote:
    So I gave in and pre-purchased through Steam not saving any money, by mistake cuz I had added it to my cart and didn't pay attention when I bought something else! Yeah for Skyrim, Boo for being retarded?

Eh, the "deal" that's active right now with D2D isn't very impressive. I'd rather serve the Newell in thanks for Steam.

Because it's a Steamworks game, you kinda do that no matter where you buy it. But I imagine there will be a pretty sweet Steam Skyrim deal for Black Friday anyway, so there's also that.

I seriously doubt any major recent titles will have big deals on Black Friday on Steam. That hasn't happened in previous years and I doubt it'll happen this year. I'd say you might see $5 off tops.

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Can you get vampirism and werewolfism simultaneously?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I like this armour. Spoilers for the appearance of a highish level armour:
    1320642357558.jpg

Haters gonna hate.
    1320642316313.jpg

Suriko on
    Goddamn the beast races look fantastic, also i refuse to look at that armour, I need to keep some surprises for the full game.

I seriously dont know how people could watch the footage of the opening, why would you spoil yourself for that?

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    According to some GAF members, this site is proven reliable and has been used in the past to buy Steam games on the cheap: http://www.intkeys.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=314

Any thoughts? This seems like the best price for a digital download, and it would go a long way to saving up money for the Novemberpocalypse.

edited November 2011
    My god that armor. No doubt about what my first character will gear for armor now. So slick.

Edit: That guy looks like he was pulled out of a druid's cave for spring cleaning of the gimp suits.

Daris on
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    Has preloading for this begun yet? Seems for a game this huge they're going to want to get people downloading it in advance, but it's already the 7th...

camo_sig2.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Has preloading for this begun yet? Seems for a game this huge they're going to want to get people downloading it in advance, but it's already the 7th...

The game size isn't all that huge actually (unless you meant huge as in sales). I would expect preloading to begin sometime Tuesday.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'm having trouble convincing myself to buy this on day one on account of I'm so cheap.

But I'm also having trouble convincing myself to wait on account of I'm so impatient.

I suppose I shall get it.

But I won't pre-order.

Because I resent the lack of incentives to pre-order.

Where's my TF2 Viking Helm and Axe?

RT800 on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote:

I think a greater rationale for this was the 'Radiant AI', which occasionally led wayward NPCs on merry chases off into the harsh, unforgiving wilderness. It's fine if you smack down skooma-junkie Caius and bork the Morrowind quest. There wasn't very much scripted movement of random NPCs. It's not so convenient if Jauffre gets taken down by a boar on his mid-morning walk to breakfast and you get a message about breaking the main quest without any input of your own.

That's probably the coolest looking armor I've ever seen in an ES game.

• TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote:

story of my life

sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    According to some GAF members, this site is proven reliable and has been used in the past to buy Steam games on the cheap: http://www.intkeys.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=314

Any thoughts? This seems like the best price for a digital download, and it would go a long way to saving up money for the Novemberpocalypse.

I too am interested in this.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    fsmith1 wrote:

I too am interested in this.

I was going to grab it from here:

http://cdkeysdiscount.com/142-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.html

I bought a Batman: AC Steam key from them and they sent it to me right away and it registered on my account okay and everything. So I'm thinking Skyrim will work out okay too.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited November 2011

I am taking a dive on it and trying it out. 35$ for a game which is normally selling for 60$ is too much of a bonus not to try. Some basic googling found a bunch of positive reviews along with some bad ones. I am not a diehard that needs the game immediately so I am willing to wade through any difficulties for the potential gain. I figure worse case scenario is that I end up disputing the charge and forking over full price through Steam.

Interestingly enough the contact email for payment issues listed in my receipt is a .ch address - the swiss have apparently moved from secure banking to wholesale CD key awesomeness.

Seriously though I don't see how this place could be a total scam. We'll see if the internet rewards my positive outlook. :p

edit: order placed, receipt in my email. Now I just wait for a mail with the key, which should come about a day or so before launch if they're accurate.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I would have bit on it by now, since several people in forums have already confirmed that it worked (for them anyway); but a recent e-mail tells me that there's still odds that I'll be given a Steam code for review.

I'm practically counting the days down, one way or the other, because I really want this.

And I'm still real curious exactly what the GB 12 hour event is going to consist of. Surely it isn't just 12 hours of them playing the game?

Thing is, regardless, I'm totally interested in whatever it is they're putting out, so I could easily watch 12 hours of them drinking and commenting their way through Skyrim.

• eauroraeaurora Registered User regular

I am taking a dive on it and trying it out. 35$ for a game which is normally selling for 60$ is too much of a bonus not to try. Some basic googling found a bunch of positive reviews along with some bad ones. I am not a diehard that needs the game immediately so I am willing to wade through any difficulties for the potential gain. I figure worse case scenario is that I end up disputing the charge and forking over full price through Steam.

Interestingly enough the contact email for payment issues listed in my receipt is a .ch address - the swiss have apparently moved from secure banking to wholesale CD key awesomeness.

Seriously though I don't see how this place could be a total scam. We'll see if the internet rewards my positive outlook. :p

edit: order placed, receipt in my email. Now I just wait for a mail with the key, which should come about a day or so before launch if they're accurate.

I've taken the plunge as well, given how NZers are being price gouged for $90.

Besides, I'm pretty sure PayPal is decent protection for this kind of stuff.

• fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    eaurora wrote:

I've taken the plunge as well, given how NZers are being price gouged for $90.

Besides, I'm pretty sure PayPal is decent protection for this kind of stuff.

Me too. Here's hoping we don't all get fucked :P.

With prices like $40 I feel like a tool for essentially paying $20 more than I have to just for that gamestop exclusive cloth map. I hope it's cool. I'll take a picture of it with the Septim I got from the Oblivion CE for maximum Elder Scrolls nerd points.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    So...really dumb question:

Do the skills in Skyrim do anything themselves? I know you need certain skill levels for perks and that advancing your skills levels makes you level up allowing you to choose a perk, but are they used in, say, damage calculation for their respective weapons like they were earlier?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

This discussion has been closed.