As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying new car insurance

Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm going to hunt for new car insurance. I currently have Geico, but feel that there are some options I'm not considering simply because I've never looked into them/heard of them. Are there any companies I should specifically look for/avoid? Any online ones with good rates that won't drop me when I need them?

Skoal Cat on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Progressive tends to have good rates.

What kind of car do you have?

Avoid Allstate.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Get quotes from all of them. I've heard Progressive has good rates but they quoted me thrice what I'm paying at State Farm (who've I've been with since on my parent's policy). Progressive will insure anyone though. I've heard Amica and USAA have good rates and AAA quotes me competitive rates (as a member).

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    You could also find a local insurance agent who will compare rates of the local insurance companies for you.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:

Avoid Allstate.

I've been looking into allstate, any reason to avoid them? Besides the higher rates (coinciding with vanishing deductible and new car replacement)?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    You should try to find a forum or website where you can compare service/prices by state. In some states all but one of the companies will be fine, and that one will suck balls, while in other states that one will be great and the others will vary.

It really depends on your state, and what you're looking for as far as service, coverage, and price are concerned. I have Geico and they've done me really well.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I always check progressive, geico, all state, and state farm. You may also have local companies that can give you a good deal, in Kentucky for example there is Kentucky Farm Bureau which offers good rates as well as discounts at just about every store in KY, see if you have something similar locally. Progressive will indeed insure anyone, ever, but in general I find they only have the lowest rate when you're a person that has to worry about if they can get insurance or who knows you will be paying out the ass - they were the lowest rate when I hadn't had car insurance in three years, for example, but now that I've been insured for six months State Farm's rate is 1/3 of progressive's. Some credit unions I believe may also offer insurance but I've never gone with insurance through a CU before.

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    You could also find a local insurance agent who will compare rates of the local insurance companies for you.

This. I live in Brooklyn, NY, which happens to be the insurance fraud capital of the US (yay me!). Insurance here is ridiculously expensive and getting quotes on my own, I was getting really high rates. Using an agent literally saved me several THOUSAND per year. This is an extreme example, but they honestly know all the tricks.

In addition to that, I simply call her up at annual renewal time, tell her what the renewal rate is, and ask her if I can get anything cheaper. Two times out of three, she's gotten me a better deal.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

Avoid Allstate.
    I've been looking into allstate, any reason to avoid them? Besides the higher rates (coinciding with vanishing deductible and new car replacement)?
    If you ever need to put in a claim, they will hunt down any excuse to deny you. They will spend $40,000 denying a $10,000 claim.

If USAA is available to you--even if it's a little more expensive--I recommend them.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Highly recommend local insurance agents. I've had State Farm for 12 years now, since I was 16 with my new car and I've had great success. They've covered all of my claims without an issue.

Of course I got into a fender bender which was my fault so my rates are going to skyrocket next time around so I might reduce my deductible or something.

I am in the business of saving lives.