As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plane Ticket Refund Question. Mildly Complex.

Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's my deal:

I'm working in Korea as an English teacher. Part of my contract includes my workplace buying me a ticket to anywhere I want at the end of my contract, which is in a few days. I'm torn between visiting friends and family in my hometown, or visiting friends in China. The difference in ticket pricing is extreme here, particularly given Thanksgiving.

Now, my school is willing to buy me a refundable ticket, provided I pay the difference between that ticket and a nonrefundable ticket. My plan in this case would be to refund the ~$1,500 ticket to America for a cheap ticket to China, keeping the difference, which would be a substantial sum, such that I could purchase a ticket back home from China at a less Thanksgiving-ey time. I could turn one ticket into two.

The issue is--at least to my understanding--that typically a refund on a refundable ticket goes back to the credit card that purchased the ticket. This would be my school's credit card, not mine.

Is there a way around this problem?

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
Loren Michael on

• RaernRaern Registered User regular
    Only obvious solution is to negotiate with the school. Can you simply ask for a ticket to the US via China as part of the same trip? If your school is willing to buy the refundable ticket in the first place it seems like there's some room to organise this, especially if you can show them it's cheaper to return to the US later and they might save some money sending you via China.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    There was a similar story here over the summer(?), and basically he got screwed between trying to be clever with his ticket (while staying within the terms) and the school company jerking him around.

Sounds like it's not uncommon. I'd either take the flight home from them, or fly on my own to visit the friends and don; count on the company coming though.

• CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Just be honest with them. Get the price of a ticket home that they're happy with and ask for the money in cash. Or offer to accept slightly less cash in lieu of a plane ticket home.

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Call the airline and see if a refundable ticket can be directly exchanged for another ticket

• WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    Alternately, buy a return ticket to china and ask the school to book your flight home for a later date. May work out cheaper, and less complicated for the school.