As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] YOU WILL BE JAILED OR BANNED FOR POSTING SPOILERS UNTAGGED

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    I like my solution to the whole horse conundrum.
    Become a werewolf. Turn badass whenever you want to run somewhere. Rock it with your wolf brethren when you pass them.
    Getting a bear to run the hell away just for grins is great.

The big downside to this solution?
    If you get witnessed turning... you get an instant 1000 bounty for that area. And you probably get that bounty if you wander into a town while werewolfed-out. But who cares, it's way more awesome than riding some dumb horse.
    Hopefully you only get the bounty if you are seen changing into or changing back from werewolf form. Otherwise how would they know it was you?
    if they don't see you turn you don't get a bounty, it's great for doing dark brotherhood quests, i'm just going to werewolf up, run in and slaughter everyone, then saunter out"

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So I had a guard walk by me while I was idling and she went,

"Pssst. I know who you are...
    Hail Sithis."

Simply amazing.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    These dragon fights are just dumb on any difficulty above normal for magic users. They seem to be insanely immune to magic damage, and outrunning their breaths makes fighting them a fucking war of attrition, which is great and all but when they can take your health down to ridiculous amounts in seconds - not so fun.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    Awesome. After reading that thing about daggers not taking one-handed enchants I'm going to ditch my dagger-specific perks and put those points into enchanting/blacksmithing.

Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    So I had a guard walk by me while I was idling and she went,

"Pssst. I know who you are...
    Hail Sithis."

Simply amazing.

FUCKING amazing.
    Knew it was a good idea to make a character to enjoy the Thieve's Guild/Dark Brotherhood.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    ED! wrote:
    These dragon fights are just dumb on any difficulty above normal for magic users. They seem to be insanely immune to magic damage, and outrunning their breaths makes fighting them a fucking war of attrition, which is great and all but when they can take your health down to ridiculous amounts in seconds - not so fun.

That's kind of how all magic battles have been for me.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Apparently companions can use staves. I learned that when I gave Lydia a staff of raise undead to carry, and then after a random fight with a spider she had an elk zombie following her around.

That was kind of weird.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Talka wrote:
    ED! wrote:

Funny; Magic users don't have any trouble kicking my ass.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Talka wrote:
    ED! wrote:

are you just using destruction in combat? pure mage absolutely needs to use all the schools actively, get some wards and summons in there, use alteration and illusion to buff

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    admanb wrote:
    Apparently companions can use staves. I learned that when I gave Lydia a staff of raise undead to carry, and then after a random fight with a spider she had an elk zombie following her around.

That was kind of weird.
    My orc follower dual wields a staff of spark something or other and a sword, it is pretty badass. bolts of lightning and choppy choppy everywhere. I didn't know staffs were one handed till she whipped it out and went to town.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    -Tal wrote:
    Talka wrote:
    ED! wrote:

are you just using destruction in combat? pure mage absolutely needs to use all the schools actively, get some wards and summons in there, use alteration and illusion to buff

I swear by wards for dragon fights. Not only are they life saving, it's just epic to ward-tank a gout of flame whilst all you see is the white blaze of light filling your screen. It's so handy when I got the adept rank ward spell I found a necromancer and let him wail on me while I healed up or used my ward until my restoration was a few levels higher so I could get the perk that cuts magicka usage for that rank in half. I tried to level it up against a giant first, but as soon as my iron-skin ran out he one-shotted me through my ward :p

Perks and wards. Get them. You'll need magicka to fight back with, if you're a pure wizard like mine.

One of my favourite ways to fight enemy wizards is to have a ward being cast from one hand, whilst I use a very specific magic staff: Spoilers within for name and function of said staff
    Staff of Magnus which drains enemy magicka per second, once they have no magicka it drains health. So I drain them until it starts to sap their health, and then switch to dual lightning bolts and go to town on them.
    It's pretty badass. A wizard needs a good staff.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    "Large Address Aware" is the program, it was linked on page 39. Just plug in the Skyrim .exe and check the box. Doing the other stuff is optional and bugged out my games graphics eventually (probably an issue on my end!). But it had a side effect of lowering load times on the longer loads, and seemingly stopped all the CTD's I was getting.

Mind being more specific? I don't see anything like that on Page 39, closest to a game tweak is the stuff Klyka posted.

This is what he's talking about

I think this actually helped, checked my cards heat and fan usage after quitting out. Admittedly I didn't play around long, or be in anything intensive but my 240's seemed to not be dealing with as much load as before. Curious if this couldn't be used for some other games that like to crash for me. I've got six gigs of RAM for gods sake, the idea that so many games have only been using 2 gigs of that...

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So in regards to the discussion from a few pages back about the dragon from the intro sequence...
    That was supposed to be Alduin? Man, I totally missed that. I thought it was just a random dragon. In fact I could swear when I played through the intro it gave that dragon some other random unpronounceable name, so I must be crazy.

And to tell the truth, I was sort of thinking the dragon you kill outside Whiterun was supposed to have been the same one; I remember thinking it was sort of funny that I was killing the dragon which had, in a way, saved my life. Of course, now that I think of it, that one had no name, and the sky didn't become a swirling hellstorm when it showed up now did it? I r teh dum.

Speaking of intros...I derived mild amusement from this. Perhaps you will too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkk8bozxoOA

Gaslight on
  • Options
    So about that there Goldenglow Bill of Sale:
    You get this from one of the theives guild quests... This means that whole island and estate is yours, right? Yet the mercenaries there remain hostile. Do you have to clear them out and then the whole thing is considered your property, or is this one of those "in name only" deals?

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    So in regards to the discussion from a few pages back about the dragon from the intro sequence...
    That was supposed to be Alduin? Man, I totally missed that. I thought it was just a random dragon. In fact I could swear when I played through the intro it gave that dragon some other random unpronounceable name, so I must be crazy.

And to tell the truth, I was sort of thinking the dragon you kill outside Whiterun was supposed to have been the same one; I remember thinking it was sort of funny that I was killing the dragon which had, in a way, saved my life. Of course, now that I think of it, that one had no name, and the sky didn't become a swirling hellstorm when it showed up now did it? I r teh dum.

Speaking of intros...I derived mild amusement from this. Perhaps you will too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkk8bozxoOA

Someone needs to mod this to replace the original intro.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So daedra hearts...I think I've seen one in all my 30 levels and I must have ate it or sold it not thinking it was important.

Is there any easy way to get a bunch of them? Do they eventually show up in shops like all the other smithing stuff?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I am only lvl 14... yet I have killed Dragons, cleared dwarven cities, and I feel a true badass.

From an aesthetic point of view, having Lydia head home in full dwarf gear wearing a flaming two hander just looks cool as she walks away into the sunset.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    So daedra hearts...I think I've seen one in all my 30 levels and I must have ate it or sold it not thinking it was important.

Is there any easy way to get a bunch of them? Do they eventually show up in shops like all the other smithing stuff?

They show in alchemy shops, i found one in whiterun. ONE and i went to a few other shops but no dice.
    Buy em and make Daedric :D

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    You get this from one of the theives guild quests... This means that whole island and estate is yours, right? Yet the mercenaries there remain hostile. Do you have to clear them out and then the whole thing is considered your property, or is this one of those "in name only" deals?
    it's a receipt showing it was sold from one person to another,that you use as evidence to who's behind all the work against the thieves guild. not the deed to the place. sorry man you don't own the estate

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    We should talk about how awesome the Dark Brotherhood is some more.

I feel it was more badass than the main quest.

• Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011

You can buy 2 from
    a shifty dark-elf in the College. I forget his name, but he sleeps on the second floor of the tower where you get your room if I remember right.
    You also get 3 from
    killing 3 daedra in the Azura's Star quest when making the Black Star. Don't know if the White one also involves daedra.

Auberon on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular

I got the one in the basement of the companion's base. It's on a table of the main guy's room. You either need high stealth or wait until he goes to sleep.

Besides that, I remember getting one from one of the forsworn camps, on some kind of altar they had set up.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Regarding dragons:
    Just killed my third one, christ this thing was tough. Took me almost 10 minutes, Lydia was tanking it most of the time (until it was just one-hit KOing her every time she stood up), I was chain-chugging HP, magic, and stamina potions, had fire resistance and magic resistance (and HP regen) up constantly, my fine steel sword was doing nothing to it (my magic was doing less!), and I was using poisons every few hits. And I was using my force shout to stun it ever time it was off cooldown. It was all I could do just to stay alive.

Then just before the dragon died a bear came out of the woods and killed me in one hit. Had to do the whole damn thing all over again, and I'm now completely out of every useable resource I had. But for all that, the fight felt fair (except for that goddamn bear :rotate:); I was slowly chipping away at it's health, and keeping mine just high enough to not get instantly killed by it's melee attacks.

It's nice to have a real challenge that didn't feel really cheap.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Where do I find dwarf cities to clear? I need dwemar stuff to make dwarven armor.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Botznoy wrote:

They show in alchemy shops, i found one in whiterun. ONE and i went to a few other shops but no dice.
    Buy em and make Daedric :D

Every daedra you kill drops a daedra heart. So find some daedra and kill the fuck out of them.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote:
    Regarding dragons:
    Just killed my third one, christ this thing was tough. Took me almost 10 minutes, Lydia was tanking it most of the time (until it was just one-hit KOing her every time she stood up), I was chain-chugging HP, magic, and stamina potions, had fire resistance and magic resistance (and HP regen) up constantly, my fine steel sword was doing nothing to it (my magic was doing less!), and I was using poisons every few hits. And I was using my force shout to stun it ever time it was off cooldown. It was all I could do just to stay alive.

Then just before the dragon died a bear came out of the woods and killed me in one hit. Had to do the whole damn thing all over again, and I'm now completely out of every useable resource I had. But for all that, the fight felt fair (except for that goddamn bear :rotate:); I was slowly chipping away at it's health, and keeping mine just high enough to not get instantly killed by it's melee attacks.

I had something similar happen, except something/one called Krosis popped outta nowhere and trolled me for ages

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    So I ended up stumbling onto a Dwemer ruin/city far to the north east called, I think... spoiler time
    Alfrand? I fully cleared the place, it was the one near Winterhold. Anyway at the end there was a device that said I didn't have the required item to activate it, any hints at where I can get said item or the quest likely connected with it?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Botznoy wrote:
    MegaMek wrote:
    Regarding dragons:

I had something similar happen, except something/one called Krosis popped outta nowhere and trolled me for ages

Hahaha, yah...that dude right there...
    Happened to me too, but AFTER I had killed the Dragon, so I was just walking up thinking I was a boss. Not so much. Out props Krosis, who blasts me. I was much more prepared the next time he jumped out of that coffin.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Not sure why I'm actually working on these, but if you like noise:

Morrowind Theme Hip-Hop ver.? It's a WIP and I've stopped work halfway through it. I also put a bit of my own touch on it.

Morrowind Theme + UNTZ Whipped up in 15m to see what it would sound like.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Foomy wrote:
    it's a receipt showing it was sold from one person to another,that you use as evidence to who's behind all the work against the thieves guild. not the deed to the place. sorry man you don't own the estate
    There's a specific dialogue option that you're "keeping the bill of sale" as a sort of payment for services rendered and the bill itself states that "anyone who has this bill of sale owns the estate and you can't own it without the bill of sale." You sure about that?

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    So, is there a way to rotate items you've dropped, like in oblivon?

If there isn't... :(

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    So, is there a way to rotate items you've dropped, like in oblivon?

If there isn't... :(

You could rotate them in oblivion?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I was wandering down a road in the woods when I noticed a mercenary headed the other direction as me. He told me that he was headed somewhere particular, but refused to tell me where exactly, so I decided to follow him.
    He was jumped by a random bear and managed to take out half its health before dying. Yet another pelt for me, and an easy one that time!

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure you could? It might have been a mod, I guess.

• Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    What's the gray bar above the stamina meter when using a magic staff or swords? Will my weapon break / run out of magic?

roster.gif
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    george-x wrote:
    What's the gray bar above the stamina meter when using a magic staff or swords? Will my weapon break / run out of magic?

It shows how many charges your magical weapon has. Once out of charges, you need to use soul gems to recharge them.

• Options
    Ah, gotcha - thank you. What about swords? Or is it only showing up because my sword is enchanted?

How do I go about making soul gems?

roster.gif
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    Any magic item has charges. The actual number is seen in the inventory screen. The grey bar is just a general indicator of said charges.

Soul gems can be found or bought from arcane vendors. There are different types of soul gems, ranging from petty (the weakest) to black soul gems (the best). The type of soul gems determine the kind of souls you can trap. Petty soul gems can only trap petty souls (for example, a skeever soul), while grand soul gems can trap mammoth souls. Black soul gems are the only soul gems that can trap humanoid souls, and are extremely rare.

To trap a soul you need the Soul Trap spell, or an item which grants the same effect. Cast it on an enemy, and if you kill it X seconds before the spell ends, you should see a blue swirly animation and get a charged gem. The standard Soul Trap spell gives you 60 seconds, while items with Soul Trap may give you less depending on how powerful the enchantment on it is.

• Options
    Wow - thats great. Thanks much for the info

roster.gif
  • Options
    Some people have said that you can simply cast Soul Trap on a recently killed enemy to capture their soul instead, don't quote me on that though. Also armor enchantments don't have charges, only weapons.

This discussion has been closed.