As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario series] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited September 2015 in Games and Technology
nintendo3dsmario2newimg_22569.nphd.jpg

"Welcome to the Super Mario thread! Woo-hoo!"

We all have know who Mario is and at least played one game in the long standing franchise history. This thread is dedicated to discussion about all Mario games ever made. Let's try and keep topics focused on the primary games in the series and not the off-shoots (Tennis, Golf, Kart, etc). Basically, if the game is on this list, we can talk about it:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA version)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Land
Super Mario World
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker

In the spoiler below is a level submitted by a PA person. Simply add their level, then click on their Mii to "favorite" them. Doing this will help you avoid having to type in level codes over and over to try their new levels.
SyphonBlue: 386F-0000-0038-7EC2
gjaustin: A1CA-0000-002F-59F5
TimFiji: E7AB-0000-0038-B4C5
ecco the dolphin: C2B0-0000-0038-BE3D
Warlock82: 45FF-0000-0035-6B02
Fireflash: 3658-0000-0037-5DF6
UncleSporky: 1F2B-0000-0038-DFAA
andywu: 9BE8-0000-0040-B62E
Bobkins Flymo: 9F6D-0000-0039-5320
Professor Snugglesworth: 3076-0000-0039-E884
Taya: C0EB-0000-003A-20DD
The Sauce: D070-0000-003A-608D
Zilla360: 325C-0000-0039-E105
The Sneak!: 1F5C-0000-0027-1961
Figgy: 706E-0000-003A-E8FB
Brainiac 8: FEF0-0000-0031-BE7C
Ratsult2: 7453-0000-003B-2BB5
agoaj: 284A-000-003B-497E
jothki: F3D0-0000-003B-6ADB
TDawg: A753-0000-003B-7029
Conn: 1567-0000-0018-56CC
Maz-: 8D77-0000-0032-26E8
Figgy: C039-0000-003E-058B
Tim is on the Internet: 3795-0000-003E-AE05
Rami: 1078-0000-003E-2BBE
Gennenalyse Rueben: 8EC8-0000-003B-DF9F
Zombie Hero: 1DC6-0000-003F-23CC
CGH: E86B-0000-003F-241F
OneAngryPossum: 788C-0000-003F-36FB
Skull2185: 0EA6-0000-003F-701B
pirateluigi: 4B21-0000-0025-498A
Enlong: 1B9B-0000-003F-993C
pablo_price: 4378-0000-003F-C8D5
Malgaras: 2ED2-0000-0034-C8AD
dresdenphile: 1D9E-0000-003F-C5B5
ArcanisThelmp...: 96D3-0000-0041-DBFF
King Riptor: 2BD2-0000-0042-2064
MiserableMirth: F1F7-0000-0041-0607
Mr_Grinch: 963B-0000-0042-BAA2
carmofin: 50C9-0000-0043-3B08
IceBurner: B1BF-0000-0034-B03A
Kupi: 9A28-0000-003A-CEB6
skeldare: 7C4A-0000-0040-4DB8
Taramoor: 795F-0000-003B-25BE
TelMarine: 3720-0000-002B-55A7
MNC Dover: 4E30-0000-0044-EDBA

ADD YOUR SUPER MARIO MAKER CODES FOR OTHER PA FOLKS TO PLAY!

Upload your code here!

View the list of codes here!
Tips for Making Marios
  • When Mario has nothing beneath him, a three block platform will spawn until his first jump. Use it to test jumps with messing with blocks.
  • Multi-select and the copy tool work together. Use it to quickly make terrain, copy set pieces, or make those coin rooms more quickly!
  • Stuff doesn't seem to exist until it's on screen. This means enemies and stuff on rails will not be perfectly in sync most of the time.
  • You can't make pipes one-way, but fortunately the one-way platforms solve this problem.
  • A enemy stacked on another enemy will not move even if there's technically a path for them to walk on.
  • Experiment! Stuff doesn't work 1:1 like they did in the classics. One example is eating a powerup as Yoshi in SMW will not give Mario the powerup but just stay in his mouth. Test things thoroughly and don't make assumptions!
  • Objects can overlap in many cases, which can have weird interactions.
  • To make a subworld, put Mario in a pipe (this has to be unlocked first).
  • You can upload ten levels, and your upload limit gets increased by ten per medal. Get more stars by making better levels, and delete low-performing levels when you're at the limit! They're still saved to your hard drive, and you can upload them again when you get more medals.
  • Custom sound effects do not get uploaded. Do not have your levels hinge on this.
  • Your main map is what gets displayed publicly. If you'd prefer to keep it a secret, then make a subworld and hide the two pipes somewhere. Build the main level in the subworld and do whatever with the now empty main world.
  • The thumbnail for your level is whatever is on the editor screen when you save your game.
  • To make comments that pop out in the middle of a level, just stop where you wanna comment and hit pause and then the comment button.
  • Don't want your comment to show in the level? Wait until the level is done.
  • When Mario goes through a door, the stage resets many of the assets except things like blocks. Enemies will respawn.
  • Doors can only move Mario within a map. Only pipes can take you between main and sub worlds.
  • Unlocking works as follows: after five minutes in the editor, you will be notified of tools incoming. At that point you can opt to wait until tomorrow, or you can lay down 500 blocks in the editor to expedite the delivery. Then the process repeats.
  • To change your cursor that appears on the TV, press either control stick. One swaps through left-handed options, while the other is for righties (note: this has no impact on editor controls and the cursor only shows up on the TV so feel free to have an opposite-handed cursor)
  • If you see flies on the editor, you can swat them to start the old fly minigame from Mario Paint. You have a time limit in which to kill all flies, and there are three rounds. Finish all three and you unlock Builder Mario.
  • Playing 10-Mario challenge unlocks sample courses. Once you unlock them all the game will tell you that it has also unlocked the NWC courses. Beat them to unlock the skinny shroom (note: Super Mushrooms always have a chance to be Skinny Mushrooms by default)
  • Commenting on a course automatically gives it a star. There is no way to unstar a course so be careful.
  • We don't know what the bottom layer of tools are. The game will tell you when you've unlocked everything.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I haven't bought the new game yet. I'm looking at finals work right now....but am so tempted to make a quick trip to the store.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Played through the first few worlds so far. It really does feel like a downgrade of the 3D games, rather than an upgrade of the 2D games I assume it's supposed to be.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Been playing for about an hour and am about half way through world 3. Loving it so far and it really feels like a good mixture of 2D and 3D Mario games.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    I just finished world 1 and it's pretty awesome. The controls take some getting used to and I would have preferred just staright up control with the slider, none of this run button nonsense. I see where they're coming from, trying to mix the 2D and 3D gameplay mechanics, but that's just a small gripe. I can manage. The star coins have been easy to get so far (except for the first one in 1-3... but I got that one eventually), and I have them all in world 1. I bet they're gonna get a leetle more tricky as the game progresses.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Any current deals on SM3DL? Like 10 bucks off or 10 dollar gift card with purchase? I'm about to go out and buy it, but I want to make sure I don't miss a deal.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Nope. The only deal whatsoever has been a free keychain if you preordered from Gamestop.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Damn you Sunday releases...looks like I'll have to wait for tomorrow to pick it up. Might as well fire up NSMB Wii or Galaxy 2 to quell the Mario urge.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Nope. The only deal whatsoever has been a free keychain if you preordered from Gamestop.

What?! Damn Gamestop, not giving me a keychain :(

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    There are some deals here and there. Fry's has it $10 off today only. Apparently if you buy at Kmart and you're a member of their club thingy you can get a $15 coupon for other merchandise.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    So, arbitrarily forced side-scrolling in a 3D game. Worst idea, or worsterest idea?

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Worked well for the Super Mario Galaxy games.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    3D Land is a lot of fun. It feels surprisingly fresh, too.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Beat it today. FUN!
    And there's apparently quite a bit to do after you finish the regular levels. Getting all the coins and beating these extra levels should take awhile.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    2D Mario...in THREEEE DEEE.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    I think I'll get this for myself as a Christmas gift if no one else steps up to do so. Ah who am I kidding? I'm probably gonna pick it up in a few days after classes end. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    For anyone wondering, the leaf gives you the full tanooki suit, not just the tail. Also, the mechanics of the tanooki suit are much much much more similair to the carrot/bunny ears power-up from SML2 than the leaf/raccoon tail from SMB3.

Also, in regards to the tanooki statue
    Bigger spoiler than you might think...
    It doesn't become available until after you've beaten the first 8 worlds.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    virtualboyvirtualboy Registered User regular
    Do I get a cookie for completing all listed games? :-D Bragging aside, Super Mario 3D Land is amazingly fun! You can tell it's good when the main theme music gets stuck in your head from day 1.

PS: If anyone's interested, here's a Super Mario 3D Land Star Coins guide for Worlds 1-8.

acunningplan.jpg
  • Options
    I'm on 3-3 and it's pretty great so far. However, I haven't really noticed the 3D. Like at all. I'm one of those people who always play with the 3D on, usually at full blast. I spent 40+ hours with OoT and the slider was all the way up the whole time, and I loved it. So it's pretty disappointing that I can't really tell the difference between 3D and 2D.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    How come your list includes NSMBWii but not NSMB for the DS?

That was a game from the main series. :x

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The 3D is incredible. The after game is also incredible.

• Options
    OMG, I just beat the game (at least the first 8 worlds) and just found something awesome.
    They brought back the poison mushroom!

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    I'm surprised at how much the 3D helps this game. I have confidence in my platforming that I've only ever had in side-scrollers before. Thank you Nintendo, for helping me see why 3D really can be a gameplay enhancement as opposed to a gimmick.

Also: Tanooki Mario? Totes adorbz.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    This game is really good. Really, really good.
    Beat the first "quest". Started the second one. Upgraded Tanooki suit owns. I'm gonna play the hell out of this game.

Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    This fucking week can't go by fast enough! Why do you hate us Europeans, Nintendo?

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    The Mantiz wrote:
    This fucking week can't go by fast enough! Why do you hate us Europeans, Nintendo?

I noticed you're getting Zelda:SS two days before North America and you actually got the Operation Rainfall games. So, who hates you now? :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Man, it will probably be months before I can play this game. :(

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote:
    The Mantiz wrote:

I noticed you're getting Zelda:SS two days before North America and you actually got the Operation Rainfall games. So, who hates you now? :)

But Zelda is on THE SAME DAY as Super Mario! It freaking Sophie's choice!
    I love you, Nintendo <3

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote:

I'm pretty sure PETA is loosing more that its gaining, doing stupid stuff like this.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    That PETA thing has to be the most moronic thing they've ever done.

And I guess we're ditching the old thread? Hope no one minds, but I'll just bring a little of that over...
    There are two parts to an Iwata Asks interview up, here and here. The first describes how they are basically trying to create a sort of bridge, a missing link if you will, between Super Mario World and Super Mario 64.

Not story-wise, though that could have been kind of cool, but gameplay-wise, of course. And from what I've played, it seems like they've succeeded on that front. Unfortunately, they also go on about how it feels more like a 3D Mario than a 2D Mario as you go further in, and how they're trying to convert more people to want to play 3D Mario...

And while I love 3D Mario, it really is a separate beast from 2D Mario, even in a well-made hybrid like this. It unfortunately sounds like they're trying to shift things altogether, which I'm not a big fan of. Still, with NSMBWii and the DS game selling gangbusters, there is hopefully nothing to worry about.

I do have some nitpicks, but that's just what they are-- me nitpicking as a longtime fan. I wish Raccoon Mario was the more common form, with the Tanooki Suit a rarer item with all-- or at least most-- of its powers still. It seems there is a version somewhere which can become a statue, but the details are unknown, so far as I've seen. Plus, it makes Mario seem a little odd, being the only one in a full suit while everyone else only gets a tail. Weird they don't even get the ears, really.

That said, I do like the redesigned Tanooki Mario.

The maps so far seem to run in just these straight lines, with stages illustrated as being in these blocks. It unfortunately loses some of that coherency of the world which previous titles, from SMB3 and World to even NSMB and NSMBWii managed to maintain. Even Super Mario Galaxy 2 had branching paths, which we've not seen so far.

And of course, the "Land" title feels like a bit of a misnomer, as IGN notes. The game is fantastic, but the Land titles have always felt like apples which fell a little further from the tree, and had a different kind of enjoyable flavor for it.

Admit it: you want to see Wario taking on Mario in an over-stuffed Tanooki Suit, or with the scales on the Boomerang Suit stretched to their limit, just as much as I do.

One other minor gripe: Nintendo's continued inability to keep consistent in button mapping rears its ugly head once again. After playing Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, and Super Mario Bros. on the system for a while now, my hand automatically went to B to run and A to jump. But guess what?

B and A are both jump, while X and Y are both run. It's like the Super NES all over again. Yeah, I got used to it, but I still hate having to switch back and forth for the same basic series or game types because Nintendo won't let you map how buttons on backwards-compatibility and Virtual Consoles run.

Something I didn't mention before, which might be considered a spoiler...
    I am not a big fan of how you have to collect a certain number of Star Medals to proceed.
    Kor wrote:
    For anyone wondering, the leaf gives you the full tanooki suit, not just the tail. Also, the mechanics of the tanooki suit are much much much more similair to the carrot/bunny ears power-up from SML2 than the leaf/raccoon tail from SMB3.

I don't know, I think it's more like the original leaf, minus the flight ability. The tail making the big difference, of course, only it's more powerful this time. The flutter is a little more like the rabbit ears or cape, though, since you can just hold down the button.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    With all due respect to 3D Land and its excellence, I still have to admit that I'm more interested in seeing how the next Paper Mario and Mario Tennis games turn out. If Paper Mario goes back a little to its RPG-Light roots I'd be more than satisfied, and powering up Mario Tennis: Power Tour on my DS Lite I realize just how much fun RPG Tennis was.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    edit

Aeyther on
  • Options
    3-5 wrecked me. I lost ten lives trying to get those last two star coins. But goddamn it I got them.

• Options
    Ugh gotta touch the top of EVERY FLAGPOLE? I do love them sparkle stars though. Sparkle Sparkle.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Playing through this game more and there's one thing I just have to say.
    Tanooki Toad is most goddamn cute I've ever seen.

I also love the fact that
    Luigi wears a fox, or Kitsune suit instead of a Tanooki

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I have to admit, after playing through the first special stage castle, I finally respect this game. It actually wasn't
    Luigi
    that did it, it was the time attack.

• Options
    jothki wrote:
    I have to admit, after playing through the first special stage castle, I finally respect this game. It actually wasn't
    Luigi
    that did it, it was the time attack.

If you think that was something wait until you get to:
    Giant Cosmic Mario Time Attack.

• Options
    I have four shining sparkling stars. I'm pretty sure I know how to get a fifth one, and I really don't like it.

Post game stuff inside.
    1 Star is beat the game: 2 Stars is get every star coin in 1-8. 3 Stars is beat every Special level, 4 stars is get every special world star coin. I noticed awhile ago that the game keeps track of which character you beat the level with (You unlock Weegi in Special World 1) and whether or not you GOT THE TOP OF THE FLAG POLE. Getting the top is easy with Weegi but It looks like I'll need to beat every level with both of them.

Sparkle is of course just like NSMB Wii; Never make the block of failure appear. Super failure block? Right out.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Where does it keep track of
    which character you beat it with?

I don't see it anywhere.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky