As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Server space cost

zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourselfRegistered User regular
At my work we have 2 monster CRAC units cooling a server room. And in that server room, we have no computers, and really all we are doing is storing some creepy mannequins in them.

My question is how much would a company be willing to pay to place servers in a room with high end dedicated cooling on a fiber backbone?
I think I am going to put together a proposal, and all that bad ass cooling is just going to waste.

Echo on

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    So... I hear you have some pretty cool mannequins?

• Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Not enough for you to make it worthwhile and you probably won't get any takers anyway since no one is going to trust their servers to Bob's Mannequin Warehouse. You can search for co-location in your area to see what other companies in your area are charging.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    One of the main things people pay for when buying server rack space is the uptime guarantees. so if you do this your going to need to have people around 24/7 365 to make sure that if something does go wrong it is fixed asap.
    so that means you probably going to have to hire people to look after this server space. make sure to factor that in when seeing if this would make any money at all.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Also I think for insurance purposes you need certain specific types of fire suppression/fire-wall systems built in where the servers are. Also real HVAC.

That shit's important yo.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Malkor wrote:
    Also I think for insurance purposes you need certain specific types of fire suppression/fire-wall systems built in where the servers are. Also real HVAC.
    We have fire suppression, part of code. Look up CRAC unit.
    Rhiley wrote:
    Not enough for you to make it worthwhile and you probably won't get any takers anyway since no one is going to trust their servers to Bob's Mannequin Warehouse. You can search for co-location in your area to see what other companies in your area are charging.
    It's a federal facility I am looking for a price so I can come up with a discounted rate to charge other federal agencies.

zepherin on