As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shows You'd Like Remade/Continued

1234568»

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    It's not a remake or a continuation, but I'll take it anyway: Terriers is up on Netflix Instant.

Start spreading the good word. More people need to see this show.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    Battlebots.

Also I'd go for a Malcolm in the Middle follow-up where Malcolm has a wife and kids and still talks to the camera (as soon as Frankie Muniz is old enough.)

Only if it emphasized how utterly insane the plan his parents had for him was.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ego wrote:
    There was an old battletech cartoon which was a mix of really badly done 3d animations and really badly done traditional animation. I'd like to see that redone.

Kudos to whoever said mission hill. I'd throw in undergrads too. I think the best one said so far has been M*A*S*H.

M*A*S*H? Any remake would just be worse than the original. And it doesn't need to be continued (note: The show lasted longer than the Korean War).

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Pumpkin Scissors.

I really liked that.

Also Dragnet, the remake with Ed O'Neil. Robbery Homicide Division was also really cool.

• Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    I'd love to see a Justice League Unlimited style version of Dragon Ball Z. Meaning, I'd like for some American writers to reinterpret the action classic. Animation and all, and really dig into those characters, new story arcs, time lines, fun, "weaknesses" etc. That would be, the very meaning of awesome.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Jericho

The first season was fantastic, and had a hell of a cliffhanger, and while it was neat that fans rallied enough to get CBS to agree to shooting a short second season, it was a shame that season two was the jumbled mess that we got (towards the end, anyways). Guaranteed more time, I think they could have taken a lot of those ideas to really neat places, specifically the nation being torn into three (the United States of America, Allied States of America and the Republic of Texas) and the prominence of a government-backed private military company on U.S. soil.

Jericho was going to interesting places, it just needed more time.

Have you read the comic they put out? It had some stuff that would've been great on screen. It was also left open for a sequel, but it's been a couple of years now so I'm not holding out any hope.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    There have been a lot of great ideas mentioned it this thread.

Let's face it- Kings was screwed over because marketing didn't know what it wanted to do. It was a goddamn amazing show, and really didn't deserve the cancellation it got when it lost viewers through no fault of the show itself. I hope there's a pair of nuts on a driftwood slab in the NBC executive offices for someone screwing that up.

Justice League Unlimited... oh, I loved this when it was on... I wanted it to go more than the two seasons that it was on because it allowed focus on many different characters who weren't the original seven. There were so many good ideas that could have been explored, so many characters who never really got a chance to shine... sometimes I hate DC.

Static Shock... I'd actually like to see at least one more season of this. The ending had that cliffhanger where you don't know how many of the original bang babies still had their powers, and the way they wrapped it all up really left me wanting more.

Batman Beyond- I always thought they just cut this show off at the knees and just threw in the nod to it in JLU to shut the fans up. I wanted more, dammit!

ReBoot... my god, the chance they had to do more with this series, and it just gets frittered away? This deserves a sequel, if not an entirely new remake, what with standards nowadays.

The Tick- now THIS would get people to watch goddamn Adult Swim. Its time has come to be re-made, mostly because it would draw viewers like mad. There's plenty of new material that they could draw from.

We don't get Korgoth, but we get Tim and Eric? No wonder Adult Swim barely has anything worth watching. They just need to cut it out with the British crap and get back to the original reason it was created.

Battlebots, well... that was always fun. I'd watch it again if they remade it.

Battletech- fuck yes! This deserves a remake- animation's improved leaps and bounds over what it was back then, and I know it'd draw a lot of viewers should they remake it.

If I could see two series brought back... I'd say Monster House and Monster Garage. You remember these, right?

Monster Garage was the show where Jesse James would get a bunch of mechanics together and attempt to make a crazy contraption (cop car doughnut shop complete with fryer, drivable skate ramp, golf-ball collector that shot the golf balls back at the golfers, etc.) Given how much crap Jesse has stirred up in his personal life, I highly doubt it'll ever come back, though.

Monster House, on the other hand, deserves to come back. It was the show where you submitted ideas for a crazy remodel- a house themed around sharks, for example- and a bunch of crazy carpenters shoe up and make your house over in that theme. It's a pretty extreme makeover, but I would say it might be fun to live in a house like that.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote:
    There have been a lot of great ideas mentioned it this thread.
    If I could see two series brought back... I'd say Monster House and Monster Garage. You remember these, right?

Monster Garage was the show where Jesse James would get a bunch of mechanics together and attempt to make a crazy contraption (cop car doughnut shop complete with fryer, drivable skate ramp, golf-ball collector that shot the golf balls back at the golfers, etc.) Given how much crap Jesse has stirred up in his personal life, I highly doubt it'll ever come back, though.

Monster House, on the other hand, deserves to come back. It was the show where you submitted ideas for a crazy remodel- a house themed around sharks, for example- and a bunch of crazy carpenters shoe up and make your house over in that theme. It's a pretty extreme makeover, but I would say it might be fun to live in a house like that.

There have been other shows based on the Monster Garage model, but none ever seemed to take off. Maybe they just lacked the force of personality that Jesse James has to drive the show, or maybe they were edited to make it more about drama between the builders then what they were actually building. Still, I liked watching the show, more for the inventive ways they took care of failures then for the builders but that's personal preference there.

Also, I'll toss another vote up for Battlebots. Preferably on a network other then Comedy Central. It could fit well on Discovery, I think. Maybe TNT, though that'd probably focus less on the robots then some T&A hostess (which is part of what killed the show for me on CC). It seems like it'd fit in really well with SyFy's apparent "Anything but actual quality science fiction" programming schedule.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Discovery would be perfect for Battlebots.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    Boston Legal... because it's fantastic.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Johannen wrote:
    Boston Legal... because it's fantastic.

Eh.

Once I figured out there writing style I lost all interest.

The firm will always win. Which would be fine, but the writers felt they had to deal with hot-button issues all the time, and to ensure the firm would always win they'd have the opponents argue their case exceptionally poorly - which turned those episodes into basically a big rant on whichever side had to win (and seemed to have the weird effect that a bunch of essentially typically lefty writers would end up ranting about "teach the controversy" as a legitimate position).

• Options
    MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Some already mentioned but never hurts to repeat:
    Pirates of Dark Water
    Brisco County Jr.
    EXO-Squad
    Would all be good with remakes...EXO-Squad ending was supposed to dovetail it into a Robotech spinoff I read somewhere...I dunno, it was an awesome show, would be great with updated graphics and voiceover/acting.

Air Raiders was a short lived capitalist "Straight to extended toy line" cartoon, but I had a shit ton of the toys and from what I remember was a cool post-apocalyptic type place where everything was air-powered.
    Edit: This link pretty much sums up Air Raiders...apparently my adled 80's mind invented the cartoon out of paint fumes.
    http://www.mikethepod.com/Air_Raiders.htm

Jericho, Surface both looked like they had a lot of promise and got canned prematurely...would like to see continues of those.

Marauder on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Oh man, so my wife starts watching season 1 of Heroes today and I kicked myself for not including it in my list of shows that I would want remade. I would want Hiro to travel back in time and change something that pretty much erases much of the later seasons. Season 2 redux without the writer strike stuff.

Oh and shows that need more: Dave The Barbarian and Korgoth The Barbarian.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Don't know if it was mentioned, but I want more Sports Night. Watched it as a happy accident from misclicking something on Netflix with just enough apathy to just watch whatever I clicked anyway, but I adored it the whole way through.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I want El Chavo del Ocho remade, but kept in spanish of course.

A modern comedy from the perspective of a beggar child in a South American city, sounds so good. It would do a lot of good too by bringing the poor into the spotlight.

Oh, and Law and Order. Why the hell did they cancel that? I just watched Law and Order UK and it felt wrong.

hadoken on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    SightTDW wrote:
    Don't know if it was mentioned, but I want more Sports Night. Watched it as a happy accident from misclicking something on Netflix with just enough apathy to just watch whatever I clicked anyway, but I adored it the whole way through.

I don't get it. Sport's Night is basically remade every time Aaron Sorkin writes something.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm going with:

Saving Grace - Kill the third season and do it right instead of the writers discovering halfway through the season that they only have a couple of episodes to end the show before it's canceled.
    The Defender - Fantastic show, but apparently never caught on.
    My Name Is Earl - It ended on such a cliffhanger.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    My Name is Earl strayed from its core concept and spun its wheels. It's cancellation was well-earned.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    the first wrong step they took was having earl change his name to roger
    i haven't watched the show, and i apologize profusely for that

• Options
    Sentry wrote:
    SightTDW wrote:

I don't get it. Sport's Night is basically remade every time Aaron Sorkin writes something.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Exactly. But West Wing was more Sports Night than Sports Night was, and didn't have to fight the shitty laugh-track.

I'm glad Studio 60 sunk, though. I can't stand Sorkin when he gets on his soapbox, and that show was all soapbox.

Speaking of which, Sorkin is currently developing another series at HBO that examines the world of . . . . behind-the-scenes actions on a television show. Christ, man. Give it up.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I loved Studio 60. It was like 30 Rock, but funny.

I understand that the central theme of "Saturday Night Live isn't funny" didn't at all work for some people, but I quite liked that you'd occasionally get a glimpse into the actual crud these guys were killing themselves to produce.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    I loved Studio 60. It was like 30 Rock, but funny.

I understand that the central theme of "Saturday Night Live isn't funny" didn't at all work for some people, but I quite liked that you'd occasionally get a glimpse into the actual crud these guys were killing themselves to produce.

It wasn't the central tenet of the show that was bad. It was how every episode turned into some kind of hamfisted commentary on religious fundamentalism, Bush-era politics, drug use, or the war on terror- AKA, the Sorkin mirepoix.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Honestly, it was the first of his things that I watched. So I suppose I hadn't seen it all before.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Titus, the TV show starring Christopher Titus and Stacy Keach. Nostalgia may be a factor, but I remember that show being off-the-wall.

The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr. Bruce Campbell. That is all.

Life, starring the guy from Band of Brothers and that hot girl. It's the only "crime drama" I've ever been interested in. Then again, Castle is pretty much in the same vein now.

The Tick cartoon.

Freaks and Geeks, the Reunion Years.

Andy Richter Controls the Universe. One of the funniest shows to see an early grave.

Eek! The Cat. I still have Dee Snyder's "Terrible Thunder Lizards" theme stuck in my head. Bum badda bum bah bum ban-owwww.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    mekman 2 wrote:
    I'd love to see a Justice League Unlimited style version of Dragon Ball Z. Meaning, I'd like for some American writers to reinterpret the action classic. Animation and all, and really dig into those characters, new story arcs, time lines, fun, "weaknesses" etc. That would be, the very meaning of awesome.

Hmm, I don't think this would be a good idea, mainly because I don't trust the writers.

DBZ was fun because it was a one-man show; Toriyama controlled everything about the product, for better or worse (better in this case). If you had a team of writers who's main experience is writing for Superhero cartoons/comics, you'd lose a lot of the flavor, and I firmly believe that too many cooks would spoil the broth.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Marauder wrote:
    EXO-Squad
    Would all be good with remakes...EXO-Squad ending was supposed to dovetail it into a Robotech spinoff I read somewhere...I dunno, it was an awesome show, would be great with updated graphics and voiceover/acting.

Oh yeah, Exosquad would be great as a remake today. Especially now that genetic engineering and bioethics is much more prominent in the mainstream consciousness, whereas it really wasn't as much in 1993. I'd love to see what sort of new twists and complications they could introduce to the Neosapiens given our increased knowledge and awareness of the issues.

The animation would also be way better, I imagine. Cause they really relied on a bunch of cheap Korean animation studios to fill out that original 52 episode run and uh, it shows. The quality of the animation suffered quite a bit, especially in the second season.

The biggest problem of a remake, as far as I see, is equaling the sheer genius of the writing in the original. I mean, this isn't just good writing for a kid's show, it's good, period:

"I used to worry how I would face the end. Would I go bravely like a soldier? But let me tell you something Neo mega, it's life itself that matters, not how it ends. Every moment is a precious gift, if only we have the courage to accept it. That's where our duty lies. Not in taking life, but in living it."

Delta Assault on