As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Visual Novels] Chaos;Head, Anonymous;Code, and Holy Night incoming! (more semicolons)

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Hahhahahaha @Suriko. Speak of the Devil.

A Kiss For The Petals: Remembering How We Met (one of the over ten Sono Hanabira VNs) is getting officially localized by Manga Gamer.

In slightly better news, Manga Gamer announced a partnership with Alice Soft, with Beat Blades Haruka being the first game brought over. Not exactly what I'd pick to bring over first, but Alice Soft is known for their good and engaging gameplay (Sengoku Rance is still one of the most fun strategy games out there), so hopefully they bring some of the more high profile and better gems over later. And not even all their games are adult so they can bring some all-ages gameplay heavy games over as well if the partnership works out.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    And the news keeps coming. Sekai Project just announced a shit ton of good stuff.

Root Double: Before Crime * After Days is being localized by Sekai Project, for all you Ever17/Remember11 and mindfuck fans.

G-senjou no Maou – The Devil on G-String, one of my absolute favorites, which is a gangster/criminal underworld heavy intrigue cat and mouse style VN and holy shit I'm happy this is getting officially localized.

As well as Sunrider: Liberation Day (sci-fi), Chrono Clock (limited 5min time traveling), more Worlds End Economica, and Narcissu Remake.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It's a continuation. The end of the Heavenly Host arc. It picks up on a cliffhanger from Book of Shadows, and then ties into Dead Patient.

Was Dead Patient ever translated? Are they ever going to release more than one episode of it?

• Options
    It's a continuation. The end of the Heavenly Host arc. It picks up on a cliffhanger from Book of Shadows, and then ties into Dead Patient.

Was Dead Patient ever translated? Are they ever going to release more than one episode of it?

Officially? No or not yet. There's a fan translation of it that's in the works that's set to release this year.

Also man, we've had something like 12-15 VNs get announced for official purchasable localization over the last couple days. It's nice to see the genre keep betting more love in the west.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hahhahahaha @Suriko. Speak of the Devil.

A Kiss For The Petals: Remembering How We Met (one of the over ten Sono Hanabira VNs) is getting officially localized by Manga Gamer.

In slightly better news, Manga Gamer announced a partnership with Alice Soft, with Beat Blades Haruka being the first game brought over. Not exactly what I'd pick to bring over first, but Alice Soft is known for their good and engaging gameplay (Sengoku Rance is still one of the most fun strategy games out there), so hopefully they bring some of the more high profile and better gems over later. And not even all their games are adult so they can bring some all-ages gameplay heavy games over as well if the partnership works out.

Yeah, the Fuguriya/YurinYurin/Mikajyou site prematurely announced it, which is why I brought it up. Not that I was there for any reason at all of course.

It makes good sense to localise them, as terrible as the games are. They're short, use simple dialogue, the license would be dirt cheap (the studio is very small that makes them, and used to be a doujin circle) and have a pretty rabid fanbase simply because there just aren't that many yuri games around.

It's pretty stunning how VNs went from purely a Japanese thing, to getting fan translations a decadeish ago, and now within several years getting pretty significant numebers of well-known VNs professionally localised and up on Steam. I never thought I'd see the day.

• Options
    Too bad Steam only has the censored or all-ages version of games (except for ones that are all-ages to begin with which are totally cool), which means I'll be buying straight from JAST/Manga Gamer/etc for a long time. I'm also not a fan of Sekai Project's 'we're totally not Denpasoft' bullshit and always delaying the uncensored version of their releases after the neutered ones. I'm looking at you The Fruit of Grisaia... it's been over a month and there's no announced release date yet.

I have a strong personal hate for cut-content and censorship. All-ages or adult, just give me the product as the creators intended it.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Too bad Steam only has the censored or all-ages version of games (except for ones that are all-ages to begin with which are totally cool), which means I'll be buying straight from JAST/Manga Gamer/etc for a long time. I'm also not a fan of Sekai Project's 'we're totally not Denpasoft' bullshit and always delaying the uncensored version of their releases after the neutered ones. I'm looking at you The Fruit of Grisaia... it's been over a month and there's no announced release date yet.

I have a strong personal hate for cut-content and censorship. All-ages or adult, just give me the product as the creators intended it.

Assuming the sex scenes are the "creator's intentions" rather than just "necessary content to appeal to that market" is the flaw in this thinking. To sell to H gamers, you need scenes like that, whether they fit the story or not (sometimes they don't and are ridiculous/awful). Just like to appeal to the Ps2 anime fans, you need an all ages version.

Not to say the point of some games isn't the H scenes, but... we're not getting those ones by and large.

• Options

Assuming the sex scenes are the "creator's intentions" rather than just "necessary content to appeal to that market" is the flaw in this thinking. To sell to H gamers, you need scenes like that, whether they fit the story or not (sometimes they don't and are ridiculous/awful). Just like to appeal to the Ps2 anime fans, you need an all ages version.

Not to say the point of some games isn't the H scenes, but... we're not getting those ones by and large.

As Key (Clannad, Little Busters, Rewrite, Angel Beats, etc.) has proved time and time again, no you don't need sex scenes for the PC audience. The vast majorly of their games were created as all ages and are some of the most loved out there. Not to mention Umineko/Higurashi, Corpse Party, Ever17/Remember 11, etc.

Then there's games like (for example) The Fruit of Grisaia and especially Muv-Luv Alternative* where the sex, violence, and adult language is core to the adult-targeted story and stripping that out loses entire swathes of the story, emotion, and characterization. (*In this one specifically, a lot of it is supposed to be disturbing.)

And as for your last part, no, we actually do get a lot of Nukige (masturbation material) and Dating Sims released in English from JAST and Manga Gamer, which helps them pay the bills between the serious story based and higher profile/more risky releases. And if it helps them stay afloat so we can get the good stuff, then that's something to be thankful for.

• Options
    Well, Steam's policy with regards to sex scenes is straight-up the only remaining reason Katawa Shoujo will never be on there, so my opinion on it could probably be guessed from there. I get it, but it's still frustrating.

• Options
    Hi5 for actually playing/reading Katawa Shoujo. That VN scored a critical hit on my feels so many times. :(

• Options
    Hi5 for actually playing/reading Katawa Shoujo. That VN scored a critical hit on my feels so many times. :(

Check the staff credits. :)

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »

Check the staff credits. :)

!!!!!!!!!

QXJKbPy.jpg?1

(Thank You!)

• Options
    MajiKoi! S got it's full English patch released. Wooooooo~

Yay for guilty pleasures and just super fun non-serious and over the top visual novels. <3

• Options
    https://groupees.com/vn2

Jast USA is doing a 6-VN Groupees bundle, limited to 3000 copies. If you preorder before it launches in 2 hours you get it for $8. School Days is confirmed to be one of the six VNs.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I've never used this site before, why does it list $8 twice in the reserve section :/ ?

EDIT- Well. I chose the middle one. Because middle seems safe. And $8 for school days is a steaaal~ .

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I didn't need six more games.

But dangit, I guess I'm going to have six more games. :)

• Options
    Lovely wrote: »
    I've never used this site before, why does it list $8 twice in the reserve section :/ ?

EDIT- Well. I chose the middle one. Because middle seems safe. And $8 for school days is a steaaal~ .

Groupees is another Humble Bundle like site (super cheap games, music, whatever + donations to charity) and uses tiers of things. Though they were doing a preorder deal for this one where you go in at $8 and you'll get everything. It'll be higher after it launches in an hour and everything is revealed.

• Options
    I'm gonna guess most of the games will be adult.

Also, depending on what games they are I might have some codes to gives away to people since I have these games already. :lol:
    0g8yrwH.png

Well, I have a more, but that's my small physical VN collection which is interestingly all JAST.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to see if it has sold out or not?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »

According to the chatbot 1176 sold out of 3000 so far.

• Options

If I do $8 will I still get any bonuses or should I go with $18 to be safe? I haven't used Groupee in a long time.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    edited July 2015

If I do $8 will I still get any bonuses or should I go with $18 to be safe? I haven't used Groupee in a long time.

Preordering will get you everything for $8 for this deal. If you don't preorder you'll have to pay more to get all 6. School Days alone is worth it, so no matter what else is included it'll be worth it.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    I already own it but I remember the last one they did I missed out on and they had some good stuff in there that I wanted. $8 isn't much so I put in my pre-order.

• Options
    I already own it but I remember the last one they did I missed out on and they had some good stuff in there that I wanted. $8 isn't much so I put in my pre-order.

I have keys for Aselia the Eternal and Deus Machina Demonbane if you want them (I already own the physical versions as you can see above).

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Boy I sure dodged a bullet with this one.

I was super tempted to pre-order in the hopes it would include Saya no Uta, but instead I avoided spending $8 on a bunch of hentai bullshit.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Hah. Well, it could have been better. The two games they put in the last bundle were loads higher quality. :P

1 Otome Game.
    4 Ero Games
    1 School Days of awesomeness.

I was honestly expecting for either Steins;Gate or one of the Nitro+ games to be in, but hey, it was $8 for a digital code of School Days to give away so I'm not complaining.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Thank you @vagrant_winds for the School Days code.

Guess I'll finally get to see just how nice that boat actually is.

• Options
    Hah. Well, it could have been better. The two games they put in the last bundle were loads higher quality. :P

1 Otome Game.
    4 Ero Games
    1 School Days of awesomeness.

I was honestly expecting for either Steins;Gate or one of the Nitro+ games to be in, but hey, it was $8 for a digital code of School Days to give away so I'm not complaining.

Like you say, for 8 bucks there's not much to complain about :)

Kind of wish I'd gotten in on the last bundle myself, but if JAST is going to do these on a regular basis I'm guessing we'll see some of those titles come around again. Fingers crossed for Demonbane, that's the Lovecraft-mythose-inspired one right?

• Options
    School Days is great. If you act like a respectable human being you get normal romantic VN endings.

If you act like a two-timing scumbag and try and date multiple girls at once... well, you might just break some hearts and snap some minds.

• Options
    Which will be MY goal!

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

.....okay. well. First I'm gonna be nice to Koto... dammit forgot the rest of her name, not Sekai. Or at least not be an asshole and actually break up with Koto. I MUST FIX THE TIMELINE OF THE ANIME! (which was actually great for how weird it got.)

And also get some sexy taims 8D .

*ahem* Normally I don't go for H games aimed for guys, but School Days seems nifty to me. Beyond the weird/dark stuff I mean. (though the weird/dark stuff certainly helps!)

sig.gif
  • Options
    And hey, there's at least one game filled with bishies!

• Options
    Damn, I own all but three of those games already. I wonder what that says about me. I don't own the Sagara Family, Downhill, and Bodyguard games. Don't have any interest in the Bodyguard one though. Still a lot cheaper for the two I don't have so I came out on top.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    And hey, there's at least one game filled with bishies!

Wha whaaaaa? I was at work, so beyond making the payment, I hadn't actually looked at what was in the bundle yet besides School Days. I shall look at the bounty now!

(Awww. Bishie game is a period drama. Not a huge fan of those, but eh, it might surprise me!)

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Mmm. Anyone else have issues getting their keys from the bundle? I did the email-without-creating-account thing and it's been quite a few hours.

Already poked Groupees support, but not expecting to hear from them until next week at the earliest.

• Options
    I have an account there because it's easy to keep ahold of keys that way. Especially because they update.

I.E. Lots of games in the Doujin Bundles got updated with Steam keys later on when they finally launched on Steam.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that bundle is pretty crappy. Glad I didn't bite. Not doing their reputation any favors, either.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I have an account there because it's easy to keep ahold of keys that way. Especially because they update.

I.E. Lots of games in the Doujin Bundles got updated with Steam keys later on when they finally launched on Steam.

Their support was able to dig it up and attach it to my existing account, so they score points for working weekends. It is a little pornier than I expected, but it's JAST after all. :)

• Options

Their support was able to dig it up and attach it to my existing account, so they score points for working weekends. It is a little pornier than I expected, but it's JAST after all. :)

Also those games are straight up hentai games. At least I'm assuming the bodyguard one is. I don't know for sure.

• Options
    Yeah, that bundle is pretty crappy. Glad I didn't bite. Not doing their reputation any favors, either.

Their reputation is still as good as MangaGamer and way better than Sekai Project.
    • Both JAST and MangaGamer give Steam Keys for free for any game it applies to when you buy an uncensored version from their site. Sekai Project charges separately.
    • JAST releases are all 100% DRM Free.
    • Unlike Sekai Project, JAST & MangaGamer don't delay uncensored and original versions of games. Sekai still hasn't released the original version of Grisaia for example and hasn't even given a release date. It's been two months with no news and the fan-translated version has been out since 2013.
    • Translation/editing quality on JAsT and MangaGamer releases are consistantly much higher.
    • JAST releases optional uncensor patches for anything they're legally required to censor for multi-region releases, leaving it up to the buyer's choice if they want to include the content or not and are upfront with any removals.
    • The heads of JAST and MangaGamer haven't insulted or written off the core the visual novel fanbase unlike the head of Sekai Project (I'm not sure why would would want to insult your customer base).

I mean, I've bought VNs from all three, but the preferences are clear.

---
    On a different subject, I also tend to support official releases where the original fan translations were brought on to do the work with the help of staff editors, like Steins;Gate, Song of Saya, Grisaia, etc. which is something all three have done.

Though I'd also appriciate it if instead of constantly licensing VNs that already have full or partial fan translations, they'd bring over more high-profile ones that haven't been released at all. The Baldr Sky series being one notable and highly requested example. Or promise to bring over brand new enhanced versions of the game like what's happening with Muv Luv.

• Options
    For the Record, my personal 'VN's I wanna see translated into English' the most:

Fate/Extra CCC
    Full Metal Daemon Muramasa
    Baldur's Sky duology
    Robotics;Notes