Options

[Football/Soccer] Chamack to score 30 goals for West Ham

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The problem is that our stadium runs north-south, so keeping the grass maintained would be a total nightmare.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    The problem is that our stadium runs north-south, so keeping the grass maintained would be a total nightmare.
    o_O

Why does that matter?

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Thanatos wrote: »
    o_O

Why does that matter?

The stands along the end lines cast large shadows along the width of the field, meaning that the field gets less direct sunlight. Same issue occurs the other way, but because the field is longer it means the center of the field ends up in sun more often.

Or at least that seems to be the gist of it...

oldmanken on
  • Options
    So this could be interesting:

http://www.theblizzard.co.uk/blog/blizzard-football-manager-league/

Wonder how hard it would be to setup a similar league for us PA denizens...

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    o_O

Why does that matter?

The stands along the end lines cast large shadows along the width of the field, meaning that the field gets less direct sunlight. Same issue occurs the other way, but because the field is longer it means the center of the field ends up in sun more often.

This. Certain parts of the field would only see a couple hours of sun a day. It's not insurmountable, but it is significantly harder to pull off than if our stadium was aligned with the sun.

Anyways, The Continuing Saga Of Trying To Sign Obafemi Martins has taken a turn for the ugly. Two days ago, we had the cost of meeting his release clause -- 3M euros. Yesterday, we brought the money but Levante said "Oh nope, the bank's closed so we can't take your payment. Try again tomorrow during this 5 hour window."

Today, we brought the money at the right time and Levante responded "Oh wait, you also gotta pick up another 600M euros in taxes." It's hard to get concrete information about what the actual tax obligation is on this issue (It's not the VAT tax, and typically other interleague transfers of players between La Liga and other leagues hasn't required any taxes). Our representative has returned to Seattle, but word is that talks are still ongoing.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    o_O

Why does that matter?

This. Certain parts of the field would only see a couple hours of sun a day. It's not insurmountable, but it is significantly harder to pull off than if our stadium was aligned with the sun.

Don't count out the fact that the Seahawks probably don't want to spend a lot for that muffler maintenance. I mean, I don't know what kind of sunlight the better stadia in the EPL get, but they're also pretty much soccer-only. American football chews up the grass and the stadiums are rented out for anything they can fill the schedule with.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    o_O

Why does that matter?

Don't count out the fact that the Seahawks probably don't want to spend a lot for that muffler maintenance. I mean, I don't know what kind of sunlight the better stadia in the EPL get, but they're also pretty much soccer-only. American football chews up the grass and the stadiums are rented out for anything they can fill the schedule with.

Yeah, that factors in to it. They could probably get around some of those strain issues with a hybrid-grass solution, but it'd definitely be getting a lot more use than a single-team venue, and it'd probably limit their ability to put on the most punishing events like motocross* or major concerts. As an additional hurdle, you can't just repaint a grass surface like you can an artificial surface. This would likely result in playing all SSFC games with full NFL markings.

*With the current surface, they actually set up a stilted set of platforms on top of the artificial turf that only inflicts the weight from everything above it on just a portion of the field, instead of all of the field, which leads to a lot less damage than our prior surface got from such events. I'm not sure if this technology would be applicable to a grass or hybrid-grass field.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Kagawa's second goal today was such a beauty.

• Options
    Can I get a shoutout from my fellow Sounders fans enjoying the Seattle sunshine for this fine day, at our season opener?

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Whitecaps beat TFC and all is right with the world. Pretty goal and the Caps looked like they'll be an exciting team to watch this year. Liked what I saw from Kobayashi and Reo-Coker. Shame about Demerit getting injured yet again.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    That was difficult to watch. We played like shit, and the officiating was shit. I hope that's not indicative of what the rest of the season is going to be like.

• Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    What's worse than losing 1-0? Losing 1-0 because you gave up this goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urnVdzZTx1U

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    Graham Zusi... what a player!

Need more people in the MLS fantasy league.

• Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    Just back from Whiter Hart Lane. Spurs win this leg of the NLD 2-1. Fantastic result. On cloud 9 :)

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I honestly don't know what's worse. Losing to the little neighbours, or being reminded by Fox that Piers Morgan considers himself an Arsenal supporter.

That's not true, Piers Morgan is worse than everything.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    the little neighbours

8->

• Options
    I'm practicing being bitter and resentful for when they finish fourth.

• Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    If Arsenal finish 5th (and I think it's a big if even now) will he get the boot?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I don't believe so, more likely scenario (imho) for switching managers off the back of a 5th place finish would be him falling on his sword.
    Honestly come what may I expect him to be making me slightly more miserable, week in and week out, this time next year with his weird substitutions, his insistence on having Theo Walcott take set pieces and the complete lack of Bendtner.

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Arsenal will never fire Wenger. If anything, he will walk away.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Wenger should leave Arsenal for somewhere he can win a trophy. Like everyone else has.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Steve McClaren joke.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Glad I put Mike Magee in my fantasy squad, there is the hat-trick. Now, if only there were more than just two people in the PA leagues...

• Options
    NotEasyBeingGreenNotEasyBeingGreen Registered User regular
    pslong9 wrote: »
    What's worse than losing 1-0? Losing 1-0 because you gave up this goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urnVdzZTx1U

everytime i think american soccer is improving something like 0:09 happens

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    yeah, cause that never happens in any of the big leagues out there. Mls is leaps and bounds better then when i started watching 5+ years ago.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    I can see it now

Chelski pip Spurs to forth

and then Arsenal win the Champions League

millions revel in Spurs misery

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Portland has been night and day in these two halves. First half was like watching last year. Second half has been 100% pure Peruvian catnip. Good effort for the draw.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »
    yeah, cause that never happens in any of the big leagues out there. Mls is leaps and bounds better then when i started watching 5+ years ago.

Yeah, MLS used to be utterly painful to watch. There are still occasional unacceptable defending mistakes, but in general its improved greatly.

Are there really only two people in the PA fantasy league? I'd consider joining, but only having two opponents is kind of sad :-(

• Options
    cpugeek13 wrote: »

Yeah, MLS used to be utterly painful to watch. There are still occasional unacceptable defending mistakes, but in general its improved greatly.

Are there really only two people in the PA fantasy league? I'd consider joining, but only having two opponents is kind of sad :-(

Get in any way... The more the merrier! :)

• Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    cpugeek13 wrote: »

Get in any way... The more the merrier! :)

Whats the league code?

• Options
    Draeven mentioned it, so I went ahead and created some fantasy leagues over on the MLS site.

mlssoccer.com
    Classic: 11952-2198
    Head-to-Head: 11952-2200

DO IT!!!!!

Above.

• Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    joined.

photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Portland has been night and day in these two halves. First half was like watching last year. Second half has been 100% pure Peruvian catnip. Good effort for the draw.

Oh man...I was there. I think I might have scared my gf a wee bit by getting a bit emotional by the end. But after we watched the replay and had a few beers, she could understand my hatred of the refs. How were there no cards given that game? Dax and Pearce each should have had one. Will Johnson probably could have been carded for dissent. Robles made two incredible saves. And my god, that stadium would have exploded had Ryan Johnson scored on either one of those final shots. It is going to be an interesting year for the Timbers. I look forward to it.

photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I can see it now

Chelski pip Spurs to forth

and then Arsenal win the Champions League

millions revel in Spurs misery

Yeah, the only way Spurs are going to fall to 4th at this point is if somebody shoots Gareth Bale in the head. If Man City doesn't find some consistent form soon, Tottenham's probably going to wind up in 2nd.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I joined the MLS classic fantasy league, I'm ready to (get) destroy(ed)!

nusu on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Anyone know if Camara is going to eat a suspension or a fine or anything for his behavior at the game on Saturday?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Anyone know if Camara is going to eat a suspension or a fine or anything for his behavior at the game on Saturday?

Kai Kamara or someone else?

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    clownfood wrote: »
    And my god, that stadium would have exploded had Ryan Johnson scored on either one of those final shots.

Yeah, if the bicycle kick is two feet lower, you, your gf, and pretty much everyone else is rolling to save vs. Bliss Induced Coronary.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

No, Hassoun Camara of Montreal Impact.
    Took a gut shot defending, then took a cross to the head. Kept playing, then once or twice just sat down on the field stopping play (when he maybe should have just been taken out earlier for a possible concussion).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    No, Hassoun Camara of Montreal Impact.
    Took a gut shot defending, then took a cross to the head. Kept playing, then once or twice just sat down on the field stopping play (when he maybe should have just been taken out earlier for a possible concussion).
    They carried him off on a stretcher, and then he went back in. Then, mysteriously, as the clock was running down with a 1-0 Montreal lead, kept having problems and having to stop play.

This discussion has been closed.