As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Macera memorial webcomics thread

• Options
    webofinkwebofink Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    (re: the new bad machinery) It's a storyline I can get behind. I caught the start of the one with Onion Lem, and then went incommunicado for a while. By the time I got back, I had nooo idea what was going on. I'm completely digging this latest one though.

EDIT: While I've got TOTP, I'd like to say I hope you all had a great movember and helped in some way to raise money so doctors can continue to finger butts. Have a comic

2011-12-02.png

webofink on
    It's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    you know you can like

go back

and read the strips you missed

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    tumblr_lvj4u7vfap1qzdi59o1_500.jpg

cent who snuck this candid photo of you answering your door?

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    you know you can like

go back

and read the strips you missed

I'm a mover and shaker. Man about town.

I don't have time to go backwards. ONLY FORWARDS FOREVER!

But yeah, I'll probably do that at some point.

It's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    2011-12-02-walked.png

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    crwth wrote:
    tumblr_lvj4u7vfap1qzdi59o1_500.jpg

cent who snuck this candid photo of you answering your door?

it's those darn paparazzi! they won't leave me alone!

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    pnap20111201.jpg

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    @maritzac He's fucked, right?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
  • Options
    algeyaalgeya Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    maritzac wrote:
    Always.

it was a long wait for the new powernap strip.

when are going to see the color version of that page??
    sorry in advance if that sounds rude

algeya on
  • Options
    I really don't know, man. Bachan does the color and the art. I think he's having some technical problems or something.

• Options
    Hey, B&W Power Nap is better than no Power Nap.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i just read through power nap

gooood stuff

• Options
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    2011-12-02-sexy.png
    This is kind of dumb

a lot of ladies definitely find the ripped musclebound heroes of comics attractive

just because Amber(her name is Amber right I don't read Shortpacked) has a different taste in men doesn't invalidate the point that men are somewhat, nowhere near as much as women of course, sexualized in comics as well.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    20111202.gif
    I dont understand the first two panels.
    maybe those 2 panels are just space fillers... I dont know ,
    can someone explain it to me

• Options
    i think he is reading an email

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote:

This is kind of dumb

a lot of ladies definitely find the ripped musclebound heroes of comics attractive

just because Amber(her name is Amber right I don't read Shortpacked) has a different taste in men doesn't invalidate the point that men are somewhat, nowhere near as much as women of course, sexualized in comics as well.

This only can be answered by a forum full of ladies from different age groups

• Options
    edited December 2011
    algeya wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:

This is kind of dumb

This only can be answered by a forum full of ladies from different age groups
    Not really?

I know for a fact that some women find very muscley strong dudes attractive. I know quite a few of them!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    VmtH9.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    There is a difference between strong muscley dudes in real life

and strong muscley dudes in comic books.

And that is all I will say on this subject

HERE HAVE SOME WEBCOMIC

2011-12-02-Tune-Part01-Pg221-Mom.jpg
    http://www.tunecomic.com/

• Options
    Kochikens wrote:

That's an enormous two panel comic

It's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    I agree with Amber. Men are not being sexualized merely because they're muscled giants. It's a power fantasy, not a sexual fantasy, and it's squarely aimed at males. I don't think they go on the comic book scripts with the direction of "Green Lantern MUST look super-hot here". But I bet it happens to the females a lot.

Long story short: males should look powerful and females must look sexy. I'm not making this up. Grab a "how to make comics" book and you'll see this rule. Furthermore, they have categorized females according to their sexual appeal and how they must be drawn. For example, there's the "girl next door" type, the "sultry, mysterious" type, the hot villainess, the brainiac... the list goes on and on.

That being said, yeah, that doesn't mean a large percentage of the female population didn't go to watch the last Captain America merely for the decidedly yummy eye-candy.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Yeah, but, Captain America Chris Evans isn't the same as Captain America in Comic Books. Girls went to go see Chris Evans, not Captain America.

• Options
    Oh no I agree that women are definitely over-sexualized in comics and their depiction can't be fairly compared to males at all. Sexism is a big problem in the industry, there isn't any denying that.

But I do see quite a few female fans posting tons of muscley Dick Grayson butt shots, so there is at least some sexualization going on with males. This isn't a bad thing, though. Pretty dudes and pretty ladies are a part of every entertainment medium and comics star people running around in skin tight latex. Women definitely need to be handled much more evenly but I don't think sexuality in comics is necessarily a bad thing.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Kochikens wrote:
    Yeah, but, Captain America Chris Evans isn't the same as Captain America in Comic Books. Girls went to go see Chris Evans, not Captain America.
    Yeah but going by this, comic ladies are also not like actual ladies at all.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I mean look at this:
    tumblr_lgw4slFTxR1qcs3pdo1_500.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    Oh my, Nightwing. What are you going to do with those batons 8->

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Beat you with them.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Sexualization is not bad in either men or women. I think a lot of the complaints come from the fact that females want their power fantasies too, and it's not being properly fulfilled

• Options
    What exactly is the female power fantasy?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    it's me

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    hello ladies

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    maritzac wrote:
    Sexualization is not bad in either men or women. I think a lot of the complaints come from the fact that females want their power fantasies too, and it's not being properly fulfilled
    I agree with this! I think comics should have stronger female figures, and by that I mean actually well written strong females not just HEY I AM A STRONG TOUGH CHICK RARR.

all I was saying is that Amber's argument of "it's a power fantasy and I am attracted to a way different type of guy so there ain't no sexualized dudes" is dumb because there totally are.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    do heterosexual female readers tolerate oversexualized female characters more or less than heterosexual male readers tolerate oversexualized male characters

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    the way the sexes are drawn is an expression of a fundamental dichotomy in how comic books convey agency

men are shown to be relevant by looking strong

women are shown to be relevant by looking sexy

• Options
    this is a picture of iron man in a diaper

http://i.imgur.com/BL1Ae.jpg

click at your liesure

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    What Skull Man said.

Paladin: depends on the person. Some females don't mind. Others just roll their eyes. Others get angry or stop reading.

• Options
    I'm all for the woman's movement. I hate it when they just lie there. Heyoo

It's dead, Jim.
This discussion has been closed.