As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good 'history of the world' books

Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
In the past year I've read Guns, Germs and Steel and The History of the World in 100 Objects, and I've got a hankering for fairly comprehensive histories that aren't just largely focused on the Western world. As such, any suggestions?

Anarchy Rules! on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I know you said "aren't just largely focused on the Western world", but Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong is pretty essential reading.

Esh on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Though the subject may sound a bit dry, I found Salt, A World History, by Kurlansky to be a really fun look at how a commodity we take for granted now influenced all sorts of development. In my opinion you don't even have to be too into cooking/ food to like it! It's written in a fairly engaging style, and if I remember right has references in the back for when you want to go more in depth on something he talks about.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I know you said "aren't just largely focused on the Western world", but Lies My Teacher Told Me is pretty essential reading.
    Though the subject may sound a bit dry, I found Salt, A World History, by Kurlansky to be a really fun look at how a commodity we take for granted now influenced all sorts of development. In my opinion you don't even have to be too into cooking/ food to like it! It's written in a fairly engaging style, and if I remember right has references in the back for when you want to go more in depth on something he talks about.

I forgot about Kurlansky. Check out Cod too.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    To look at things from a different angle I found Asimov's Chronology of Science and Discovery fascinating and unusual. It is what it is labeled though, I expect you have to have at least a passing interest in science to enjoy it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish