As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sparks On] Mario Kart 7! Community codes now in second post!

• LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    Chris FOM wrote:
    I just hope that snaking isn't as game-breaking this time as it was in DS. MK DS online quickly became an exercise in who could snake the best with items and any character other than Dry Bones in the Bomber kart being completely left behind. I gave up playing online within a few weeks simply because focusing entirely on snaking just wasn't any fun whatsoever.

Snaking is just as dead in MK7 as it is in MKWii. Mini-turbos are still based off time drifitng than with any left-right movement during the drift. You've got nothing to worry about there.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Snaking aside, MKDS was my favorite as well, but none of my friends had a DS when it came out so it was sadly underplayed. My friends and I will still play MK:DD!! on occasion, because it is nice and the controls are tight, but I don't think we have played MK:Wii against each other much since it came out. The controls feel too loose to me (I haven't bothered playing sans wheel too much, so that may be part of the problem, but what I tried of the controller felt like it was not as tight either). Not to mention, bikes bikes bikes. A rather superficial issue, I suppose. But I am still bitter about never quite nailing the tricks.

This looks really good but I am a little iffy on a few things. I am not a huge fan of coins. Characters are kinda crazy but characters are always kind of crazy. Sad about the loss of the lightning cloud, which was my favorite new item from the Wii game. Also, I am still not entirely sold about the gliding/driving underwater, but I am trying to reserve my judgement on them. Really, though, gripes aside, the only reason I am not getting this game is because I don't have a 3DS yet.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    I just now realized... Fake Item Boxes aren't in this one. Now you'll never be screwed over by the RNG and get the one defensive item that can't actually block anything when you're in 1st!

SpaceGarSig.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Double Dash for life yo!

It had more strategy than any Mario kart game has or ever will.

Godfather wrote:
    Double Dash for life yo!

It had more strategy than any Mario kart game has or ever will.

Fake Item Boxes not blocking things was forgivable there, you could hold 2 items, so chances were you had something else to defend with anyway.

Plus snaking was so easy getting a good lead could save you from just about anything.

I do miss tag team karting though, Double Dash had such a lukewarm reception when it was released but after a while it really grew on me, it's definitely one of my favorites, of not my favorite overall.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Uh, Double Dash got a lot of love unless you were IGN.

YL9WnCY.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Double Dash and DS were amazing, Wii's controls were too loose among its other problems

hope 7 is great! :D

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I only played MKWii for a bit before I decided I didn't like it that much. As far as my personal preference, I love 64. DS is also fantastic but I haven't played it in ages.

I wish I had a 3DS so I could pick this up... le sigh

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think I like DS for how ambitious the track design/theme was despite the system limitations. Excellence use of sprites and such to create levels ripped out of Mario games instead of Donut Hills (which is from a Mario game, but barely looks the part!)

YL9WnCY.png
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    I liked DS because it handled exactly like Crash Team Racing so I was able to keep pace with my friends who grew up with Nintendo consoles. MKWii can go to hell though.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I just got some terrible news! My housemate just broke up with his girlfriend, I guess this means no more 4-player MK Double Dash marathons on Sunday night :( Goddamn that's a great game

steam_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    16 player 8 Gamecube DD is still one of the highlights of my gaming life. Only got the full monte off twice, but man. We played every course through 4 times both times.

DD's tracks are also woefully under appreciated.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I'm going to go ahead and say it: Mario Kart Wii was easily the worst in the series. The random bullshit factor hit critical mass and things just went to hell. Which is a real shame, because the prior game was Mario Kart DS: one of the best in the series.

Although in both games, the concept of ratings in the Grand Prix to unlock anything can fuck right off.

My only issue with Mario Kart Wii was the stupid rules on how to unlock things, such as the 'rating' unlockables. I'll never get Dry Bowser due to not being anywhere good enough to one star 150cc. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about DD was it allowed to actually play 'team' MK. In MK64 we just accomplished that by saying ok, anybody but the AI gets to win. Death to the robots! But in DD you could actually have 2 people working for a common goal.

steam_sig.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    pretty much my favorite series ever

I'll be waiting til christmas for this one though, too much good stuff lately.

Hope to get in some races with PAers. I played a loooot of mkwii online but never against people I knew (maybe once)

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    TWO, TWO SPOILERS HERE, AT-AH!

Track List:

Special Cup

Rosalina's Ice World

What?
    Why does Rosalina get an Ice World? The three (maybe four) areas Rosalina is associated with are her flying space observatory, that green planet in her really depressing story (and the library she told it in) and the entire universe.

None of these I would consider to be particularly covered in frozen water. So why?

Track List:

Special Cup

Rosalina's Ice World

What?
    Why does Rosalina get an Ice World? The three (maybe four) areas Rosalina is associated with are her flying space observatory, that green planet in her really depressing story (and the library she told it in) and the entire universe.

None of these I would consider to be particularly covered in frozen water. So why?
    She wears light blue and has a more collected, reserved personality compared to the other two princesses.

Also the stage has Good Egg Galaxy and the Comet Observatory flying in the background, so it still shows up, just not as the actual stage itself.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    FUck the haters. Apart from stupid rating unlocks, MKWii was the bomb. The motion controls were just fine and you had the option for normal boring old button controls if you wanted to.

I really hope the 7s online uses the same system as Wii. The constant rotating lobbies were an excellent way to slowly pick up people in your friend list whilst still dropping straight into a game. The only issue was the way it allowed two players from the same system meant there was almost always some pair of chuckle heads playing tag team, with one actually trying to win the race and one holding back for a blue shell or similar to screw over anybody who overtook them.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I love all of Wii, DD, and DS (except for snaking). As time has passed, the 64 courses have lost some of their lustre, they're way too wide and uninteresting to me.

I can't understand disliking the blue shell this time around, either. It's just about back to the old way it worked, meaning it's strictly beneficial to the person who fired it. If you're in first and get hit you don't have to worry so much - everyone behind you also got hit! And you can turn it off altogether now too.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    True Fact: 64 is the worst game in the series.

Actually I would say that about the first.

Very few characters, only two player, early mode 7 effects were just hard to look at, and it didn't have a lot of modes or options by comparison to the rest. And obviously neither it nor 64 had any classic tracks. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    MK64 has the best Battle Mode arenas. Trufax!

Thread deserves some Super Circuit love too. The first portable Mario Kart with up to four players, five cups, twenty tracks with an additional twenty consisting of all the tracks in SMK, hard as nail 100 coin and triple star challenges, ability to hold items as shields, some amazingly inventive tracks like Cheese Land, Cheep-Cheep Island and Lakeside Park, a fantastic Rainbow Road with almost no railings and with a shortcut. The only thing that was missing was a mirror mode.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited November 2011
    Super Circuit had some of the best music in the series too. I love the wild west one, and the sky garden one. And Rainbow Road's music is awesome too.

UncleSporky on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm so sad I lost my copy of Super Circuit.. or it was stolen, not sure what happened.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    64 was a great multi-player game, but I just felt like it was too large and slow for single player. Tracks were designed for 4 people clashing with each other on the track, and the AI didn't do a good enough job filling in the gap.
    Rainbow Road 64 was the ultimate example of what was wrong with that game, as it was far too long, and with next to no risk.
    (I remember playing it on F-Zero X, and how much better it was at twice the speed with no walls)
    The one great memory I have from MK64 was the highway track on Mirror. Racing around oncoming traffic added some of the speed and narrow track feeling that the rest of the game lacked.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote:
    I'm so sad I lost my copy of Super Circuit.. or it was stolen, not sure what happened.

Glad I'm not the only one. My copy just up and vanished one day.

• JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Super Circuit is my second favorite MK game. SNES MK takes first place, because it was the first and because of, well, nostalgia.

I always felt as though the Mario World and sprite inspired Mario Kart aesthetics of the first game had something to them. 16bit mario had a well defined feeling, and come 64bit nintendo had a rough time getting the same feeling down. Low-fi 3D being what it was. With MK64 especially: prerendered 3d sprites, seeing actual cars on the tracks raised an eyebrow for me too, was this still the mario univerise? I also think they only got it down when Mario Galaxy came around. Mario 3D land has the same thing going, and now I only hope MK 7 has it too.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I love Sky Garden!

I'm going to say this: Super Circuit has the best Rainbow Road. The rainbow is a bit wider than in SMK, but the corners in the middle of the parkour are truly hellish to time on 150cc. It's also lengthier and has boost pads which are almost suicide on 150cc. If you dare take the risky shortcut, you can if you have mushrooms. You can also take little shortcuts by using mushrooms on the bumper edges in the middle of the track. And the music is catchy as hell. Once you're in the last round, the tempo change pumps you up considerably to try to hold or take the lead. One of the Mario Karting greats.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I love the idea of one long track that doesn't have multiple laps, we'll see how it goes. They already experimented with that a bit in the past, I think it was Wario Stadium in DD that only had 2 laps because it was so long?

Two, actually:
    Wuhu Loop and Maka Wuhu.
    Both are pretty fun, but add to that stuff like Coconut Mall, Neo Bowser City, and others, and it's a little weird how many courses don't seem to really borrow much from Mario games.

...then you get to something like Piranha Plant Slide, which is like a 3D race track version of Super Mario Bros. stages (funny trees and blue Goombas and all), and you kind of forget about all that.

As for retro courses, I do wish they'd just give us more cups or something. There are just so many now, though in this case, they are modified to utilize the underwater/glider stuff.
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I'm going to go ahead and say it: Mario Kart Wii was easily the worst in the series. The random bullshit factor hit critical mass and things just went to hell. Which is a real shame, because the prior game was Mario Kart DS: one of the best in the series.

Although in both games, the concept of ratings in the Grand Prix to unlock anything can fuck right off.

For these reasons, I strongly feel that Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing is superior to Mario Kart Wii. At least, on the Xbox 360; I haven't played the Wii version.

And I suck at unlocking things in Mario Kart games. Unfortunately for me, the stuff (i.e. characters) I tend to want most is usually the hardest to get... and I don't even care about the stats!

That said, I'm disappointed that Funky Kong and R.O.B. are apparently not in this, according to the OP. But then, I never got to use the former, and had to get a friend to unlock the latter... and a whole lot of other stuff.
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    The problem with Wii is the abundance of global items. Then you add four more racers and basically you're getting pelted with something every second.

I find that it's not quite so bad in this one, but when it rains, it tends to pour.
    If I played on the lite, my whole hand was cramping after a few races.

That's the problem I've been having here. I don't remember if MKDS used the Y and L buttons for gas and items, respectively, but even with that, my hand starts to hurt after a couple of cups, if not sooner. I do find it helps if you don't bother dragging an item behind you all the time.
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    MK64 is the only game to get Blue Shells right.

SMK is probably the only one to get lightning right.

This is a lot closer to MK64 on the former. Sadly, it's not as much like SMK on the latter.
    Lightning is the new Blue Shell.
    Godfather wrote:
    EDIT: The character-specific items ruled so hard.

They did. I miss those.

Track List:

Special Cup

Rosalina's Ice World

What?

Because it's all pretty arbitrary, anyway: Why does Bowser have a city? Why does Daisy have two or three stages? Why did Mario Circuit become Luigi Circuit, and Wario Stadium become Waluigi Stadium? With a few rare exceptions, it just seems to be random names attached to whatever they feel fits at the time.

Regarding the first two games, I love 64, even in single-player. But I think SMK had the best battle mode.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    The character-items were so ingenious I would practically build my entire strategy around those at times. There would be many times where I'd purposely get last place using Baby Mario just to grab the Chain Chomp, then blitz it to the front of the pack. Any opponents in the home stretch would face the wrath of iron death.

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Yeah I forgot that coins are back. This makes me happy.

• carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Actually I would say that about the first.

Very few characters, only two player, early mode 7 effects were just hard to look at, and it didn't have a lot of modes or options by comparison to the rest. And obviously neither it nor 64 had any classic tracks. :P

I scored a girl recently at some underground party where they set up a SNES with the original Mario Kart by impressing everyone with my Mario Kart expertise! For the first time ever I felt all the gaming in my childhood paid off, so nothing but love for the first one! I would also agree 64 is the worst game in the series, it's the only one I can't stand to play anymore.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    carmofin wrote:
    I would also agree 64 is the worst game in the series, it's the only one I can't stand to play anymore.

I decided to fire this up to see if I agree and surprisingly I do... something about it just feels off after playing the more recent games. But I wish they would bring back Block Fort. That was the best battle course ever.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Mario Kart 64 was my very first game for my Nintendo 64, the first game-capable machine I got after an NES and an aging PC.

It blew me away at the time. Especially Rainbow Road.

Yeah, yeah, nowadays I realise that track's too long and a bit on the boring side, but back then it was simply beautiful.

WotanAnubis on
    Yeah, I didn't own a 64 in its heyday but I was also blown away by Mario Kart 64 and played it every chance I got. Somehow it was just the most fun thing ever in multiplayer.

I can't understand disliking the blue shell this time around, either. It's just about back to the old way it worked, meaning it's strictly beneficial to the person who fired it. If you're in first and get hit you don't have to worry so much - everyone behind you also got hit! And you can turn it off altogether now too.

Having watched videos, the guy in 2nd will still never get hit (Unless they get close when the explosion happens). The blue shell still benefits them more than it does the person who fired it, that's probably my main gripe about the damn thing. At least now that it doesn't take your item away they can't just immediately fire a red shell afterward and instantly win.
    I love the idea of one long track that doesn't have multiple laps, we'll see how it goes. They already experimented with that a bit in the past, I think it was Wario Stadium in DD that only had 2 laps because it was so long?

Two, actually:
    Wuhu Loop and Maka Wuhu.

You forgot
    Rainbow Road

SpaceGarSig.png
    edited November 2011
    LordOfMeep wrote:

Having watched videos, the guy in 2nd will still never get hit (Unless they get close when the explosion happens). The blue shell still benefits them more than it does the person who fired it, that's probably my main gripe about the damn thing. At least now that it doesn't take your item away they can't just immediately fire a red shell afterward and instantly win.

Or if they're far enough behind that they get hit before the shell swoops up.

Anyone can also avoid the blue shell entirely with quick reflexes as they could in MK64. In fact I think even the first place person can do it if they have a mushroom(?).

UncleSporky on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I haven't played the game itself very much, but it's extremely clear to me from the classics included in DS and Wii that Super Circuit has the best course design in the series. Visually, they're all very bland and flat (literally!), but they're all ridiculously fun. Sky Garden is so rad that I just want to run up to people on the street and tell them how rad it is.

That's why it's a crime that there's only one GBA course in 7.

If I had my way I'd reverse the number of courses from N64 to GBA or GCN.

Ehhh I can't get excited over how well placed the corners and curves are. I can get excited about racing through a cruise ship or in a factory with conveyor belts or through a big mall or into oncoming traffic. As much as I like SC, a couple of Shyguys in teepees who grab me doesn't thrill me.