As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My very first comic strip

uglygiantuglygiant Registered User new member
edited November 2011 in Artist's Corner
Hey everybody :) Having been a big fan of Penny Arcade (among other web series) for so long. I've decided to take a stab at it :)

Here's my very first comic strip I've done:
comic-001b.jpg

Let me know what you guys think :) It's simple, especially for dialogue, but I think it gets the point across.

uglygiant on

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what the joke is?

It seems like its just a not particularly profound statement.

• Options
    hamshams Registered User regular
    I think that the comic would benefit from the font being a little bigger and placed in a way that helps the flow of the panels.

• Options
    What I was going for was that during Skyward Sword, you spend your whole time pretending like you're using a sword and a shield that you don't realize what a fool you look like flaying your arms around.
    I'm not really a writer. So going back and rereading it to myself over and over I can understand how it seems pretty subtle, without posting an explanation with it.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I like the joke and I think the artwork is good. I'm not a huge fan of the airbrush backlighting on the people, but that's just my opinion.

However, the font does need to be bigger, and the weirdly shaped word bubbles do not work at all. If you have to have a word bubble when there's no speech direction lines, try using a square one.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    uglygiant wrote:
    flaying your arms around.

Ouch.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    skin is for chumps dmac, when you going to get flayed?

• Options
    DMAC wrote:
    uglygiant wrote:

Ouch.

I get very into my Zelda haha.
    And thanks guys for the advice I've been reworking the layout of the words and bubbles to make it flow better right now.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Choose a better font, other than that and the comments from others it aint half bad.

Try here for some free comic fonts: http://blambot.com/fonts.shtml

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    uglygiant wrote:
    DMAC wrote:
    uglygiant wrote:

Ouch.

I get very into my Zelda haha.
    Just because the pedant in me can't ignore it, the expression is "flailing your arms around". Flaying would involve removing the skin on your arms although you could do it by flailing them around hard enough.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I think the punchline panel needs to more clearly show some way that the guy is attempting (ineffectually) to use Wii skills in real life. Like, maybe there's a bully about to beat him up and he's looking at the Wii remote in his hand?