Options

The Martian [chat]icles

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Most communities have quarterly or more frequent household chemical disposal drives at the local mall/shopping center. Theoretically you can just wait until then and turn it in there.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend is reputable, right?

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Kazakhs are asians

they're totally asians

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Yes, Stalin was Georgian, and characterizing his genocides as Russian-supremacist would be inaccurate.

It's so much easier to define it as "killing anyone who's inconvenient".

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    My other issue if that I have no way of getting under my car. Ramps don't work and I don't own a jack heavy duty enough for it.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    feel this way building every pc I've had

http://i.imgur.com/Atglp.jpg

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Yes, Stalin was Georgian, and characterizing his genocides as Russian-supremacist would be inaccurate.

Also known as "The Skyrim Gambit"

• Options

That depends. Do they have the most basic of certifications, the A+ cert? If they have at least that, then yeah, they're probably okay.

Unless they got it in 1985 and haven't done anything with it.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There are a lot of things that can go wrong though. Few things go disastrously wrong (In a irreversible damage kind of way), but it is possible to seat the ram wrong, do the processor wrong, have a faulty component (I am on a streak of getting a faulty GPU 3 times on my new PC, and the one before this one had bad RAM as well), and diagnosing the problem isn't always that easy. You get a bleep, or the system runs hot, or it freezes randomly.

Then again, you could get a storebought computer that inexplicibly doesn't finish the install on one particularly windows update out of the box and spend several days until you find out that the pre-installed anti-virus was blocking it during the required reboots.

PCs can be very fickle.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I build my own computers and change my own oil.

Bow before your lord and savior, Inquisitor.

I would change my own oil, but after disposal costs, it's actually cheaper to just pay someone 30 bucks to do it.

Just dump that shit down the rain gutter. Who cares?

RENEGADE INTERRUPT!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    Chanus wrote:

Also known as "The Skyrim Gambit"

It's funny because it's true.

• Options
    thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:

Studying Stalin's USSR I can't come to any other conclusion than that he was legitimately insane.

• Options
    My other issue if that I have no way of getting under my car. Ramps don't work and I don't own a jack heavy duty enough for it.

Yeah, I would do a lot more of my own work if I had an actual place to do it.

I kind of miss working on my own vehicle, really. I need a garage.

• Options
    guards are giving me shit over my sword
    "Why the elven blade? Nord steel not good enough for you?"

No, as a matter of, fact, it's not!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Studying Stalin's USSR I can't come to any other conclusion than that he was legitimately insane.

Then you haven't played a sufficient amount of Command & Conquer: Red Alert.

• Options
    The A+ doesn't mean you can build a computer, it means you can read a book and regurgitate it onto a multiple choice quiz. Someone having their A+...and mentioning it when the issue of qualification comes up, makes me more incredulous of their ability.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Ah, that would be obnoxious, yeah. My car is a light tiny little piece of junk so I can ramp it no problem. I assume you've got some kind of truck.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's still relatively easy to damage components by overclocking. Mainly because CPUs that are sold at lower speeds are usually defects from the same wafer batches as the high CPU speed ones. You're better off running it at what it's sold for unless you're buying top speeds and top of the line then overclocking.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Ludious wrote:
    The A+ doesn't mean you can build a computer, it means you can read a book and regurgitate it onto a multiple choice quiz. Someone having their A+...and mentioning it when the issue of qualification comes up, makes me more incredulous of their ability.

I think he's talking about car mechanic certs.

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    @21stCentury why did you not use the stock heatsink/fan that came with the processor? It has the goo on it by default and all you've got to do is snap it into place and make sure it's tightened if applicable. As for building computers it's super easy until you start adding aftermarket pieces and overclocking.

Aftermarket heatsink for better performance. Clearly an error on my part.

Unless you're overclocking...

...or care about noise. Stock fans are shitty as fuck and noisy as fuck.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

That depends. Do they have the most basic of certifications, the A+ cert? If they have at least that, then yeah, they're probably okay.

I've no idea what that means...

But honestly, I think I would probably go to a store rather than "some guy".

• Options
    Also I made about twelve million iron daggers.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:

It kind of blows goats that you have to grind smithing to get it anywhere useful.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Oh, maybe he wasn't.

Shut up, Chanus.

• Options
    Chanus wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

I think he's talking about car mechanic certs.

I'd trust a redneck who has been tinkering with cars all of their life over most of those guys too.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I feel sorry for you guys, I get $15 oil changes (like $12 before tax) from the dealership. Not even worth it to do it myself at that price.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Ludious wrote:

So rather than just be a dick, what would you look for in a reputable computer repair person? Because I know I'd at least look for certs, after all, that's what they exist for.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

It kind of blows goats that you have to grind smithing to get it anywhere useful.

Yeah, I just smith everything I pick up whenever I get into town, and it's gotten me into the 40s... which is still pretty worthless at level 25.

• Options
    Ludious wrote:

So rather than just be a dick, what would you look for in a reputable computer repair person? Because I know I'd at least look for certs, after all, that's what they exist for.

someone who has been doing it most of their life, usually they build the computer with a lit cig hanging half out of their mouth and they curse a lot

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

Everyone in chat is going to tell you not to go to Best Buy

do not go to Best Buy

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options

I am telling you right now, those stores hire people off the streets with absolutely 0 training and they received 0 training. They don't even repair the PCs in the store. They ship them off. And it will be weeks, even months, before you will have your PC back and it will cost you hundreds. Finding a local, reputable shop is a much better way to go.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

eh, not really. It does make sense. any other way of getting good at smithing would be wierd.

Me, I've made a billion leather armor pieces, because everytime I got anywhere I go I get bears up the ass

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

Yeah, I just smith everything I pick up whenever I get into town, and it's gotten me into the 40s... which is still pretty worthless at level 25.

I routinely buy everybody's ingots and ore, make it into shit, upgrade that shit, and then try to sell it (although sometimes it just goes on the floor). I just hit 60 at level twenty something, so now I can finally take the arcane smithing perk.

It's just one of those "I'm playing a single player MMO" moments.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ludious wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

someone who has been doing it most of their life, usually they build the computer with a lit cig hanging half out of their mouth and they curse a lot

These are PC repair techs, not crab fishermen.

• Options
    re: smithing
    I got to 100 smithing in like an hour. I guess it's easy when you're rich. You make a circuit to all of the blacksmith shops. Buy out all of their iron ingots, ore, and leather.

Make daggers, make leather bracers. Rinse/repeat. Vendors restock every day.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    What's really funny (not really funny) is that most of my Khazak friends get mistaken for Asians because of their facial features.

but

but they're Asian

they really are

there's some argument about where to separate Asia and Europe but if Kazakhstan falls inside "Europe" I'll eat a map

also: re, Stalin murdering non-Russians, wasn't Stalin totes Georgian

@ronya

What I mean is, they get confused for Asian in the colloquial sense we were talking about before. Which means a lot of people here think they are Chinese or Japanese when they have much more in common with Turkey or the slavic states than what one typically associates with "Asia." I mean, India is in Asia too, but you wouldn't refer to an Indian as an Asian.

Actually, my best friend was born in Azerbaijan (though she grew up in St. Petersburg) and I constantly tease her that she's really Asian and not Russian.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote:

Ah, that would be obnoxious, yeah. My car is a light tiny little piece of junk so I can ramp it no problem. I assume you've got some kind of truck.

No, I drive a sports car. Ramps don't work because the car is too low to the ground and I just wind up driving straight into them.

• Options
    Stock fans are louder if you don't clean them. I don't think I've had any issue with them, actually. There's some fans you can just jam on top of the standard heat sink too if that's the concern.

• Options
    There isn't even a Best Buy around, I don't mean a big box store, I mean a local computer shop.

This discussion has been closed.