As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's no [Trine] like the present. Release dates in the OP!

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
tNMVX.jpg
PC: Out Now!
Mac: Out Now!
PSN (NA): Out Now!
XLBA: Out Now!
PSN (EU): TBA 2011
Linux: TBA 2012

Trine 2 is the sequel to Frozenbyte's 2009 platformer. The best way to describe the original is like The Lost Vikings, only with more emphasis on action over puzzles. Also, you only have one hero out at a time, but you can switch between the three at any time. The original game was well-received, managing an average of 80 on Metacritic. Major criticisms of it mostly being a short run overall and perhaps a bit on the easy side. Frozenbyte claims to address this in the sequel by pumping up with a much longer campaign, difficulty modes for combat and multiplayer online! This time three people can have at it, and entirely online. Fun will be had by all.

But let's make some introductions.

YRn5t.jpg
Amadeus is a wizard, and is easily the most vulnerable of the three characters. He has no attacks, normal movement and that's about it. He can, however, summon objects and levitate items. This allows him to better manipulate the physics of the world, create barriers for protection, allow safe passage over hazards, or drop boxes on dudes.

p0bj0.jpg
Pontius is a knight, and he is as combat-ready as you'd expect. He can use his shield to block enemy attacks, certain traps, and natural disasters. His sword is effectively at dealing damage, but he can also swap out his shield to use a much more powerful storm hammer. Unlike the other characters, however, he has no way to get around besides his own two legs. He might be able to break open blocked passageways, but he has to rely on others to get across large gaps or tall obstacles.

hUJGk.jpg
Zoya is a thief, and is the most mobile of the three. Her grappling hook allows her to get around very quickly. She can also climb it up and down in order to reach otherwise unreachable areas. She can also defend herself with a bow, keeping her at a safe distant from enemies. She does, however, need to take time to fire her arrows effectively, leaving her at a disadvantage in close combat. She also has not defensive capabilities against traps or enemy attacks.

These are just the basic skills the characters have. As you play, you will be able find experience orbs that can be used to unlock new skills and enhance older ones.

There are also some pre-order bonuses if you grab it now.

trine2.jpg
The first is TF2 hats. I don't think we need to go into much detail. The second is access to the multiplayer beta. Which is basically two levels for you to play around in with some friends.

This game is really pretty, by the way. New graphics engine and all that.

Trailers
New Mode
A nearly half-hour video of the game's opening levels and a peak at later stages and some co-op.
The game is $14.99 right now on Steam. The Collector's Edition is $24.99 and includes a digital artbook along with the game's soundtrack.

System Requirements (PC)
Processor: 2.0 GHz CPU (Dual Core recommended)
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Disk Space: 1.5 GB
Video Card: ATi Radeon HD 2400 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or better (Shader Model 3.0 needs to be supported)
DirectX®: 9.0c
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible
Additional: *Please note that Trine 2 may not run on most Intel graphics solutions used in 2004-2009. The game does run on new (2010-) Intel HD Graphics 3000 or better.

System Requirements (Mac)
OS: OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, or later.
Processor: Intel Mac
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 1.5 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M or better / ATi Radeon 2400 or better*
*NOTE: Please be advised that Trine 2 does not run on Intel graphics solutions used in 2006-2008. The game does run on new (2010-) Intel HD Graphics 3000 or better. Macs with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or ATi Radeon X1600 may not achieve smooth gameplay.
Additional: Keyboard, Mouse/Trackpad with Secondary click enabled

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Man, no responses yet? I for one LOVED the first game and can't wait for this.

Then again I'm a 2D platform addict.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I've been playing the Beta and having a blast. Somehow it manages to look even prettier than the first, while still maintaining an excellent framerate.

Really looking forward to the full release!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I'm really excited for the co-op. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

I bought the original during the Steam summer sale and played through enough of it to get the prize booth ticket. I picked it back up today to finish it. Enjoyed it then and am enjoying it now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Never beat the first one, but what I played was awesome.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The developers have also promised that they won't repeat the same mistake with the sequel's final level.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    The developers have also promised that they won't repeat the same mistake with the sequel's final level.
    ?

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Oh thank goodness. It was near impossible on 3 player mode.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    ?

It's a level you have to climb quite quickly while the lava rises and its near impossible to do with 3 players.

• Options
    The game goes from physics-based platformer to a forced-scrolling section with no checkpoints and equal amounts of mercy. If the thief died, life become much harder. If the Knight died, you were fucked because the Wizard was way too slow to get out alive.

I hear they softened it up in a patch, but the original was hell even solo.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Just popping in here to announce that we've got solid release dates for the console versions:

XBLA (worldwide) and PSN (NA) will be available the week of December 20, meaning that PSN will likely be Monday and XBLA the next day.

PSN (EU) will be along shortly after, or even the same day, with any luck.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    The PC and Mac versions are launching Wednesday.

There is also a Linux version in the works, apparently. Gonna be DRM free.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Tomorrow?!

What a nice surprise. I already pre-ordered of course but I didn't realise it would be available so soon.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I have never played the first one. Saw the trailer for this and it was an instant Steam preorder. Anyone wanna get together to play this Thursday night?

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Out today, yaaaaaaaaay. Can't wait to play it tonight.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    This is how fun (or how frustrating) playing Trine 2 with your friends can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUYe49V4144

camo_sig2.png