As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] Game is out! Push A to brutally murder pixies!

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    The first area is so big and so full of quests. Are the other area's as big? This could take me a while to finish.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Yup, they are.

Good luck.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote:
    Spectrum wrote:
    OptimusZed wrote:
    I just managed to string together enough consecutive quests to finish the House of Ballads questline.
    That was a rough choice at the end. Eternal sameness and safety, or momentary agency and eventual death? If all of the conflict in this game is that nebulous, I'm to need a psychiatrist.
    The people that are 'Fated' to be the villains and die every time would not agree that it is eternal safety!
    Eternal struggle and eventual defeat is still a promise of eternal existence.
    A miserable, futile existence.

I believe the religious would call that 'Hell', or perhaps Purgatory?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote:
    Spectrum wrote:
    OptimusZed wrote:
    I just managed to string together enough consecutive quests to finish the House of Ballads questline.
    That was a rough choice at the end. Eternal sameness and safety, or momentary agency and eventual death? If all of the conflict in this game is that nebulous, I'm to need a psychiatrist.
    The people that are 'Fated' to be the villains and die every time would not agree that it is eternal safety!
    The choice you make at the end of the house of ballads has no effect whatsoever on the decline of the fae's magic. The ballads aren't some magical thing that preserves the fae, they're just stories. It just gave them a sense of continuity and was something to do with their existence. They have jack shit to do with how the world actually works.

• Options
    Etiowsa wrote:
    OptimusZed wrote:
    Spectrum wrote:
    OptimusZed wrote:
    The choice you make at the end of the house of ballads has no effect whatsoever on the decline of the fae's magic. The ballads aren't some magical thing that preserves the fae, they're just stories. It just gave them a sense of continuity and was something to do with their existence. They have jack shit to do with how the world actually works.
    It's a sad shadow play where people who aren't quite up to snuff step into the roles of legendary heroes.

You can tell their character by the way they're all scared that they might actually *lose* because they don't have the enforcement of Fate guiding their actions.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    cmerccmerc Registered User regular
    Love this game. I was with a lot of people in finding the world generic and the game lacking in difficulty but I set it to Hard mode and kept questing and am finding myself quite enamored with everything this game offers. Even the Lore and storylines get a LOT more compelling and because of this I think I can safely say I prefer this game to Skyrim, although Skyrim has a world that's a lot more fun to explore.

One thing I need to complain about though, and this is more a fault with me than the game, but OMG Gnarsh is a huge pain in the arse. I had to set it back down to normal to beat her and now I feel like such a wimp. :(

Anyway, awesome game. Keep up the great work 38 Studios!

• Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    Ive actually kinda started to do that with potions myself. Force myself to only use the regen potions instead of the instant ones.

If I had to do it, I'd switch to the timed or regen potions only, make the enemies more aggressive but not make every enemy attack be able to stagger you. I dont think ive come across an enemy type that didnt have some type of attack that staggered.

jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    cmerc wrote:
    Love this game. I was with a lot of people in finding the world generic and the game lacking in difficulty but I set it to Hard mode and kept questing and am finding myself quite enamored with everything this game offers. Even the Lore and storylines get a LOT more compelling and because of this I think I can safely say I prefer this game to Skyrim, although Skyrim has a world that's a lot more fun to explore.

One thing I need to complain about though, and this is more a fault with me than the game, but OMG Gnarsh is a huge pain in the arse. I had to set it back down to normal to beat her and now I feel like such a wimp. :(

Anyway, awesome game. Keep up the great work 38 Studios!
    Don't forget about the +damage potions. They are very, very good for the short duration they last.

For Gnersh, I popped Reckoning, two damage pots, then dropped her in 2 combos.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote:
    What ended up tipping the scales for me is that the freedom she so desperately was fighting for was exactly what she was taking away from all her enchanted servants. Thus, hammer time.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote:
    What ended up tipping the scales for me is that the freedom she so desperately was fighting for was exactly what she was taking away from all her enchanted servants. Thus, hammer time.
    That was an interesting dichotomy. But I don't think she was trying to claim some sort of moral high ground, just taking a swing at breaking the cycle and being sociopathic enough not to care who she had to hurt to get there.

I wound up siding with her, mostly because the slow decline of the Fae was getting harder to watch.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Been playing this on and off since release. Been doing a lot of other things so I haven't been giving this game my full attention.

Honestly, I really wasn't getting in to it at first. Then I did the first official quest for the Warsworn. I am sold.

Also, while playing this game I kept trying to pinpoint just what it reminds me of. At first I kept thinking Fable, but that isn't right. Then it finally hit me, this game is a way, way, way better Two Worlds. That is what this game feels like to me.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Gonna play as a Dark Elf Finesse character now. Deciding between Male and Female, thought it matters little besides who's ass I'm gonna be staring at in Stealth mode.

Well if that's the case...should be easy to choose based on personal preference :P Though in truth, my rogue is a Dark Elf female... think the middle face option is about the best looking face I've seen among all the choices available to you.

EDIT: this face. Gonna change her hair back to grayish white though..don't really like the other colors on her. 2012-02-12_00001.jpg

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    I got the distinct impression from the ballads line that The Telling is infact part and parcel to their nature and magic

Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    Fuck this game. Just finished the Brother Twyl smutty book collectathon. My reward?
    396 gold.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I might make my second weapons daggers or fae blades (whichever is better?) so I have somewhere to spend points for Finesse. That being said, it's gonna suck having to switch to my staff everytime I want to burn webs.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote:
    Fuck this game. Just finished the Brother Twyl smutty book collectathon. My reward?
    396 gold.

Is that the "find 10 books all over the world" quest? Did it maybe give you a ton of XP?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    So...the House of Ballads...are they basically just LARPers or what's going on here?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    I might make my second weapons daggers or fae blades (whichever is better?) so I have somewhere to spend points for Finesse. That being said, it's gonna suck having to switch to my staff everytime I want to burn webs.
    Chakrams or Sceptres work mighty fine too. Anything with a fire element.

Speaking of which, I'm lovin' Finesse/Sorcery. Everything is either Bleeding, Poisoned, Burning, or getting exploded.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    I'd prefer to stay melee, it's just my.. thing. So that basically means might + finesse. I guess I could go bows, but I'm not a big fan of them..

Argh! I just wanna stab things!

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    Arkady wrote:
    396 gold.
    Yeah, but those books are hilarious.

They are!

@Klyka, not a ton. Standard quest reward level by the look of things.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I too am loving this game.

In general I find it easy, but somethings just plain murder me. I try to use the block button but damage still seems to go through, so I've stopped bothering with that. I find teleporting (dodging) at the right time is the best idea (e.g. ettin shaman thunderbolt thing, or the threshes bolt thing). The fights I found the hardest:
    Gnarsh - died so many times there it asked me if I wanted to turn the difficulty down. I didn't have enough fate for reckoning mode and if I mistimed anything I would get one shot. In the end I just poped all the potions I had (damage reduction improved crit etc.) then just smashed her.

The Widow seemed like it would have been hard, except I had reckoning mode there and fateshifted her, then had to fight an army of about 10 spiders, which were easily dispatched with mark of flame + flaming chakrams.

Ettin shamans - Died quite often on these guys, mistiming dodge or getting stuck in a chain would be the end of me. The attack itself didn't one shot me, but the lightning dot I had on me usually ended up killing me. The 2 warpriests on the island in the middle of ettinmere was hell.

I'm running Finesse/Sorcery. I found some epic chakrams - "Dragon Eyes" - that are awesome and look really cool. I too have the daggers that do different things during the night and day. I'm working towards getting as much +crit stuff as possible, seems to be the crit damage is insane.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Maybe I should switch to greatswords for groups and faeblades (I assume they are better than daggers) for solo kills? Thoughts?

• Options
    Magus` wrote:
    Maybe I should switch to greatswords for groups and faeblades (I assume they are better than daggers) for solo kills? Thoughts?
    That's not a bad plan. Faeblades are generally held to be better than Daggers for straight up combat.

----

More hammers:

Boltrsledge.png

ThintrisMalus.png

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    It might just be me, but I feel like this game is flying under peoples radar. Most people I know have only heard of the game and have no idea what it looks like. Every time combat I get a huge smile on my face. Such an enjoyable game.

Apart from that, I'm currently full might (37 points in) and using only greatswords. I feel like a demigod.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I need to learn how to use greatswords better.

The first time I used a greatsword's charge attack followed by a mid air combo, well let's just say my pants became very tight indeed. :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Greatswords iz the best. I never even used the secondary weapon slot.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    The staff charge and guard attacks are actually very cool, it's just that the startup delay on its normal attacks is about as bad as the hammer which is unfortunate.

The ice staff charge attack is beautiful.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Is there a level cap? It would be sweet to be able to cap out all the skill trees then again, I dont know if I will live long enough to do that.

• Options
    Level 40 I believe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    40 indeed.

Reposting the talent calculator: http://amalurfoundry.com/calculator

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Anybody using the 360 controller on PC figure out a way to use the keyboard as extra buttons for abilities?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i'm getting a little sick of how repetitive the quests are here

run through a cave/ruin, run into parties of three to eight enemies every fifty feet, then maybe fight a boss

every single time

every. single. time.

• Options
    Anybody using the 360 controller on PC figure out a way to use the keyboard as extra buttons for abilities?

Pretty sure @Klyka does this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    Can anyone enlighten me on how thievery works? I've been reluctant to lift anything, unless its necessary to complete a quest. I realize 0% means I won't get caught, but what are the consequences?

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    I think it depends on the location, in the first village I got caught a couple of times and just had to pay a fine (about 500g).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Can anyone enlighten me on how thievery works? I've been reluctant to lift anything, unless its necessary to complete a quest. I realize 0% means I won't get caught, but what are the consequences?
    Can't sell stolen goods to a normal shop. Other than that, not much.

They also take up more room if they're non-components, since stolen goods won't stack with non-stolen.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    i'm getting a little sick of how repetitive the quests are here

run through a cave/ruin, run into parties of three to eight enemies every fifty feet, then maybe fight a boss

every single time

every. single. time.

Yeah, this appears to be the bane of open world RPGs like this, lots of generally uninteresting quests to get to the great ones.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    It might just be me, but I feel like this game is flying under peoples radar. Most people I know have only heard of the game and have no idea what it looks like. Every time combat I get a huge smile on my face. Such an enjoyable game.

I could not have found a more appropriate post upon my coming here. Just this very evening, I happened to check Steam and saw this game as one of those on the 'Featured' list. Having never heard of it, I checked some reviews and was blown away. An epic RPG that I'd completely missed? One with apparently amazing combat getting very impressive scores? How did this happen?

I guess the answer is rather obvious: SWTOR - I've basically been absorbed in that game since it's release, but lately the magic has begun to wear a bit thin so I spent the weekend catching up on other games in my backlog. I don't know if I'm ready to dive in for another $60 bucks straight away on this game, but I'll definitely keep it on the radar.

Such a huge shock that I missed it though!

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm done with the first batch of areas and have successfully completed the House of Ballads stuff! yay me!

Ps. I'm level 24. There's still so much left to dooooo. Now, to the plains or the desert?

Pps. There's a gem that gives you 60% to stun anything that hits you. Lollerskates.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to respec my warrior into a rogue. After 26 hours the pure Might build is getting a little boring. I do like swinging, or at least looking at, greatswords and hammers, but it's become repetitive.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166