As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Beard trimmers

VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I am a lazy man, a very lazy man. I do not enjoy shaving with a manual or electric razor. Typically I gave myself a full face once over with an electric beard trimmer at its shortest setting and call it done. Its both simple, and the style I prefer :)

That being said, I have gone through 3 electric trimmers in two years. At first the battery wont hold a charge, then eventually they get slow while plugged in, and in the end they just stop working outright. A friend has suggested using a corded hair clipper, he himself uses a WAHL product.

I glanced at their website and found a few that I think will work but I'm looking for input. What I want is something capable of handling a full beard/sideburn trim to short length, and have the ability to make the journey down south when needed while still being easy to clean once said deed has been finished. No cordless models, I've had it with them and their problems plus my wall plug is readily available.

Thanks for any help, hopefully this is easy to read I'm posting from my phone

Varinn on

• StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I love beard trimming threads. Seriously, I adore them. Your friend has good taste in trimmers. WAHL is my choice as well. I've had one for about 3+ years and it hasn't let me down yet. Most WAHL kits come with oil to keep the blades running, an adjuster to fine tune the razor to your liking, and a very nice case with many many assorted preset guards. A quick note about WAHL, and I've heard this from multiple people: They get hot. The ones that you plug straight into the wall will start to get very warm in your hand if you use them for more than 3-4 minutes. Other than that, it's a fantastic and robust product. You'll know it's a true WAHL if they send you a 30+ page booklet teaching you how to take care of it :D.

*EDIT* I figure I might as well send you a link to the one that I'm currently using. http://www.wahlhomeproducts.com/Products/HairClippers/HairClippers/79524-1001

The beard trimmer is battery operated while the hair clipper plugs straight into the wall. About a year ago it started developing rust on the guard at the top, so I polished it with a bit of brasso and it's as good as new.

StrifeRaZoR on
    StrifeRaZoR.png
  • VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Have you had any issues with the battery life of th beard trimmer? And considering I'm not planning to cut my own hair is it worth buying the combo or could I get by with just one or the other?

• StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    I've used the beard trimmer maybe a few times. I actually use the clippers on my beard. It gets a close shave as well. Not to mention it has the preset guards so that I can style it much easier. I also cut my own hair, so I guess that's one thing you wouldn't have to worry about. The main reason to get these is their durability and warranty. Spending $20 on a beard trimmer alone will run you way more than $60 in a year in just batteries. This one goes straight to the wall, so batteries aren't needed. WAHL makes a stand alone beard trimmer that uses batteries. I've heard good things about it, but I haven't used it myself.

I still say go with the clippers. You said you may end up going down south with it, and you sure as heck don't want a low power battery operated trimmer handling things down there. I never planned to cut my own hair before I bought those, but it makes it so easy to do touch ups. Definitely pays for itself in the first year.

StrifeRaZoR.png
  • VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    I have a friend enrolled in a hairdressing course right now so I've accepted being her test dummy while she's learning, which solves my hair issue. I'm not about to ask her to shave meh peanuts however so the added power should be good! I'll look into getting the corded clippers alone on your recommendation, I don't care for fancy beard trims so the small size is meaningless for me, speed and consistency is all I want. Thanks for the input meng!

• CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    I have the Wahl beard trimmer and the actual hair clippers (not the ones above, a designer series) I am thoroughly impressed with both products. The Battery life on the trimmer is pretty solid, I didn't have to charge it for about a year with intermittent use. I don't use it that often now as I switched to a safety razor. They are made in the USA as well.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    honestly i bought the first one that comes up on amazon when i searched
    remmington
    it's fine

poo
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    I've been using a Wahl hair clipper for 3 years now. No issues whatsoever. They make a quality product. I also used a corded product. This one, specifically:

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79524-2501-Chrome-24-Piece-Haircut/dp/B0026IBSVE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323242106&sr=8-3

It only differs from the previously linked clipper in that it doesn't have the tiny sideburn trimmer. I didn't bother with that, as I already had a tiny cordless trimmer. But I never use it now anyway.

I use it that clipper for everything. My beard hair is particularly thick, not in volume, but the hair strands. Normal trimmers tend to slow and pull at my beard, which is painful. This baby blows right through it with no tugging, so I appreciate that. But keep in mind when you go "down south" you will need the guard on. It's not a guard off kind of trimmer on delicate skin, in my experience. If you're just keeping it to a length, it will work well. Otherwise you'll want to trim it up then finish the rest with a standard face razor in the shower.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    I haven't used a cordless, but I use my Wahl trimmer for everything and I've had it for about seven years now. Bought it for exactly $20.

This discussion has been closed.