As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Mother nature clearly wants you dead bro. Do your hands go numb because blood flow is reduced to those extremities? I have no idea how this shit works.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I think most of my depth problems stopped once I had enough weight on the bar where not getting fully into 'the hole' was almost an impossibility.

As for our Hedgehog overlord... damn man D: That would freak me the hell out.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    Blargh

Went to the gym today with my friend to work back, but by the time I got to deadlifts I was so hot and sweating that I almost passed out and felt like I was going to throw up. So I had to call it quits. I really wish we could manually set the temperature there but NOPE, set by corporate.

Thats bullshit dude, I felt awful in the gym earlier because it was so damn stuffy after a couple sets, so I flicked all the fans on. If you're not exercising enough to keep warm with the slightest bit of airflow, you can probably do whatever you are doing in your dining chair at home.

• Options
    He's saying your gym might be owned by former Planet Fitness people.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Blargh

Went to the gym today with my friend to work back, but by the time I got to deadlifts I was so hot and sweating that I almost passed out and felt like I was going to throw up. So I had to call it quits. I really wish we could manually set the temperature there but NOPE, set by corporate.

Thats bullshit dude, I felt awful in the gym earlier because it was so damn stuffy after a couple sets, so I flicked all the fans on. If you're not exercising enough to keep warm with the slightest bit of airflow, you can probably do whatever you are doing in your dining chair at home.

What exactly are you trying to say here.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    My gym is a warehouse. In central Texas.

Nut up.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Yeah, yeah! Gonna push it to the max and jam it out the yim yam! Go for the gold and are you tough enough! Keep on exercising until you puke and possibly pass out! Who cares about your health or the fact that you'd have to clean up your own vomit! EEAAAAYYYEAARRRRHHHH RAH RAH RAH *foaming at the mouth*

• Options
    You should drink more water while you work out, if dehydration/heat stroke is your concern.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Blargh

What exactly are you trying to say here.

I'm saying that it's crappy to have to work out in a stuffy atmosphere. I feel smothered and I can't breath properly, so I turn the fans on. Some people come in and turn them back off again because it gets slightly too breezy for them, when they aren't breaking a sweat through their entire workout.

But since you're now being a dick about it, I don't really know why I'd bother at all agreeing with you.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    i almost feel obligated to post the video of me wringing my sweat out of my shirt now

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    What the hell is happening here?

Too cold? Wear warm ups/ sweats/ etc

Too hot? Wear less.

Still too hot? Drink more, suck it up.

If its not 80+, I'm that guy who turns fans off in the weight room. When your rest is over 5 min per set, getting cold is the last thing you want.

• Options
    Sometimes

My gym is too cold.

• Options
    You should drink more water while you work out, if dehydration/heat stroke is your concern.

Yeah, no doubt, especially since I was sweating so much. I overreacted in that last post, that came off really dickishly now that I think about it. Sorry about that.
    I'm saying that it's crappy to have to work out in a stuffy atmosphere. I feel smothered and I can't breath properly, so I turn the fans on. Some people come in and turn them back off again because it gets slightly too breezy for them, when they aren't breaking a sweat through their entire workout,\

Ok, yeah. Sorry, I was actually having trouble parsing what you were saying, but that makes sense. Out Major Retail Chain gym does not employ fans, and I'm pretty sure I'd get bitched at if I brought one in. People complain about the stupidest damn things. Although in general it's not that bad.

Next time I go in I'm going to eat a bit and drink more water beforehand. I had eaten much the same as I usually do, but if it's hotter now I might need more. Maybe I'll bring in a jug of water as well. Yes, a jug of water with ice in it sounds quite nice now that I think about it.

• Options
    What wonderful word choice to make someone take your advice guys, seriously :shock:

I take a big ass bottle of water into my basement when I work out, though I've got the benefit of it being cooler in general down there. If Schide is dealing with 80+ temperatures I don't blame him for wanting to turn the air up.

• Options
    It's kind of hard to choke down really cold water when you're hot. Best off with room temperature, I say.

But it's your preference. Just don't get water logged.

• Options
    Wait, eating? You're not eating and then working out right away are you? Man that would probably make you spew anyway, I always wait 45 minutes at least.

• Options
    It's kind of hard to choke down really cold water when you're hot. Best off with room temperature, I say.

But it's your preference. Just don't get water logged.

Nah I'm good. Nicely chilled water really hits the spot for me if I hot, and unfortunately barely any of the fountains at the gym provide that anymore. Over the time I've worked there at three have crapped out and now only give sort of cold water. *sigh* The one in the locker room used to be sooooooo good.
    Arthil wrote: »
    Wait, eating? You're not eating and then working out right away are you? Man that would probably make you spew anyway, I always wait 45 minutes at least.

Well no, not right away. I eat like an hour at least before I start. But I tend not to eat much until dinner, so I only had an orange and some Thin Wheats today.

• Options
    http://youtu.be/eK59WKJ9-7k

sweaty! sorry about the sideways vid my amigo is a dingleberry

• Options
    "Bearded Viking Fuck", and you wear socks and crocs too. Are you me from the future DL?

• Options
    possibly, it was a squat and deadlift day

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I envy your beard/chesthair

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    thanks, stig!

the beard was tame in december

it has since grown wild

• Options
    Got more hair than me though, damn you.

• Options
    Haha... you wouldn't be getting back into my car if I drove you to the gym.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ DL. How many weight classes did you drop just there?

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular

Really sucks. Mendes is a strong fucker. Another guy from Average Broz Gym got hit for something else too. Sad. Goooo US Weightlifting!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't see how it sucks to be honest. He was an arrogant shitbag who was clearly juicing for a long time. I'm glad he finally got caught.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Mother nature clearly wants you dead bro. Do your hands go numb because blood flow is reduced to those extremities? I have no idea how this shit works.

I think that's it. I wake up with numb hands a lot too, I've just never put the two together. I get a really light head while I'm lifting too. I went to the doctor and he just said "having low blood pressure is really good".

• Options
    Jesus Christ DL. How many weight classes did you drop just there?

honestly...that wasn't even a hot day

i sweat A LOT

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've got to salute you for keeping the beard and wild hair going even when it's hot out. I can't do it, almost all of my hair comes off and I go back to a goatee. My wife wants me to shave my facial hair entirely, she's never seen me without it, and I want her to know that there is a very good reason for that. I'll probably do it just to make her happy (and then very, very sad) but watch my lifts all drop 20 lbs.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    sweaty! sorry about the sideways vid my amigo is a dingleberry
    he asked if it was ok that it was sideways and you SAID it was...NOT HIS FAULT!!!!

srsly though, excuses are dumb...and umm....they stink

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    I don't see how it sucks to be honest. He was an arrogant shitbag who was clearly juicing for a long time. I'm glad he finally got caught.

I just mean the state of weightlifting in the US sucks. I agree, since he was using he deserved to get caught, and he's a fool for juicing. So I am glad too. Just lamenting the general situation.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Peen wrote: »
    I've got to salute you for keeping the beard and wild hair going even when it's hot out. I can't do it, almost all of my hair comes off and I go back to a goatee. My wife wants me to shave my facial hair entirely, she's never seen me without it, and I want her to know that there is a very good reason for that. I'll probably do it just to make her happy (and then very, very sad) but watch my lifts all drop 20 lbs.

Can't take away the beard man.

It's the source of our power.

All my favorite lifters got something, Dave Tate, Matt Wenning, Rippetoe. People with clean faces tend to be bodybuilders I notice :P.

Arthil on
  • Options
    PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Welp, managed to miss a workout this weekend. Partying straight for two days is not conducive to lifting heavy things.

Still, hit the gym today, pushed up deadlifts easy, squats as well, but bench was a close run thing.. Managed to not dump the bar at 160 lbs, barely. Sadly, I don't think my gym has 1.25kg weights, so time to go order my own pair online, I guess. I'm really liking this as exercise though - not as mind numbing as running, and way easier to quantify progress than bodyweight stuff.

And hey, who doesn't wanna get strong?

I wish my beard-fu was as great as yours - weird genetics mean I have patchy yet fast growing facial hair, but chest hair aplenty. And a smexy snail trail. Whatever - must shave a lot. :(

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • Options
    I'm trimming up for an interview tomorrow, my damn beard will get bushy again within a week easily.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    You look so proud at the end of that video DL, hahahaha.

Just doing a little grip training wringing out that shirt. :P

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Found out there is a Bod Pod at a local University that I can schedule an appointment with for only $25.

Currently trying to drop some Fat in an effort to get into some single digit body fat levels.

Currently sitting at 188-190 lbs (5'9" or 5'10", I don't know my height exactly, think I will go measure that right now) and somewhere between 12% and 14% BF. My self measurement with Calipers gives me about 12.5%, and my Tanita Scale spits out around 12% right before dinner (I drink close to 4 liters of water a day, so I should be properly hydrated for that thing by that time). But for only $25 I can be as sure as I can be, which will let me know how accurate I am with my Calipers and Scale.

Then it's back to eating a surplus and really working towards that 5/4/3/2 goal [Dead/Squat/Bench/OHP]. Got quite a bit of work to do on that front I think, =X.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lesson one: Do not eat a giant, spicy burrito from Chipotle, then lie down and go to sleep.

This fucking thing is cooking inside me somewhere, forming into a giant, hot turd that is going to melt my anus.

Ahhhh...shit. I can feel it moving...

Also...chin ups hurt my shoulders, not my elbows.

Slider on
  • Options
    Buddies wrote: »
    Found out there is a Bod Pod at a local University that I can schedule an appointment with for only $25.

Currently trying to drop some Fat in an effort to get into some single digit body fat levels.

Currently sitting at 188-190 lbs (5'9" or 5'10", I don't know my height exactly, think I will go measure that right now) and somewhere between 12% and 14% BF. My self measurement with Calipers gives me about 12.5%, and my Tanita Scale spits out around 12% right before dinner (I drink close to 4 liters of water a day, so I should be properly hydrated for that thing by that time). But for only $25 I can be as sure as I can be, which will let me know how accurate I am with my Calipers and Scale.

Then it's back to eating a surplus and really working towards that 5/4/3/2 goal [Dead/Squat/Bench/OHP]. Got quite a bit of work to do on that front I think, =X.

Just curious, why are you trying to drop into single digit BF%, and then bulk up? To reach 5/4/3/2 you'll almost certainly go back above ten. And what are your lift now?

This discussion has been closed.