Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Saw a muscle magazine at the grocery store today with the incredible hulk on the cover claiming it had a workout plan to make you look like the hulk.
    Yes the computer generated Hulk from the Avengers.

I hate the fitness industry.

I dunno man, tell that to Ron. http://tom-brady123.blogspot.com/2011/11/ronnie-coleman-body-builder.html

I'm good with Ron being on the cover because he actually exists, there's just something really fucked up about putting a CG creation on the cover of a fitness magazine.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Methuselah wrote: »
    Well for the kind of thing I do, I sit on the bench the back rest to be specific. Secure the bar off of the rack and press it overhead but don't let it drop below my chin. My grip is at just shoulder width to keep my arms tucked in close.

So... my press should be lower or higher than my bench? I've been using the same weight for both for a while now.

OHP should be between 60 and 75% of your bench. Unless you're doing an Olympic Press, I'd imagine.

And if you're sitting down it's technically a seated overhead press.

Ugh. OHP is easily the most difficult lift for me.

I have been stuck at 135# for a long, long time. Recently, I decided to start doing behind the neck OHP in order to strengthen my traps.

• Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Must resist Diablo III...long enough to go to the gym...!

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Haha I need to try that anterior delt barbell thing.

What do you do for your quads? It seems like mine need some serious work.

This one was just one of the guys standing on my thigh while I was lying on my back and kneading out the muscles. It sucked.

I also like getting the tennis ball in there. It's great fun.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    ninzorjons wrote: »
    Must resist Diablo III...long enough to go to the gym...!

i came here to post that
    i am going to the gym tomorrow morning
    and D3 will not stop me!

poo
  • Options
    I have returned...victorious. Finally put up 235lbs on the bench after a month and a half-ish of stalling.

Mid-May stats:
    BW: ~165lbs (more of it chub than I'd like, oh wells BULK TIIIIIIIME, m i rite?)
    Squat max: 315lbs
    Bench: 235lbs
    Dead: 397lbs
    Press: 155lbs

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Awesome work. You have great lift numbers for your BW.

• Options
    Haha I need to try that anterior delt barbell thing.

What do you do for your quads? It seems like mine need some serious work.

This one was just one of the guys standing on my thigh while I was lying on my back and kneading out the muscles. It sucked.

I also like getting the tennis ball in there. It's great fun.

Ah ok. Yeah I need a friend to stand on me or something. I tried to recruit my gf to release my back, but her thumbs were too weak and she got tired too quickly. Ugh.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    Methuselah wrote: »
    Well for the kind of thing I do, I sit on the bench the back rest to be specific. Secure the bar off of the rack and press it overhead but don't let it drop below my chin. My grip is at just shoulder width to keep my arms tucked in close.

So... my press should be lower or higher than my bench? I've been using the same weight for both for a while now.

OHP should be between 60 and 75% of your bench. Unless you're doing an Olympic Press, I'd imagine.

And if you're sitting down it's technically a seated overhead press.

Ugh. OHP is easily the most difficult lift for me.

I have been stuck at 135# for a long, long time. Recently, I decided to start doing behind the neck OHP in order to strengthen my traps.

It's oddly my favorite, and apparently the seated variety is even more rough thanks to not really having your legs to stabilize yourself.

I'll keep up with keeping my press and bench even for now, until I finally hit that point where I'll go "Nope, fuck this" and have to put the bar back on the rack in defeat. One thing I'm realizing is that even though a lot of whatever muscle is being built is covered by a layer of fat, you can blatantly tell it's there on my shoulders and calves. Like my calves were always pretty beefy but now they feel firm even without flexing.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Make sure to cool down and stretch after weightlifting session.

• Options
    I do try to stretch a bit though I've no idea how much I should, I can imagine walking helps my legs after my workout at least.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Just dropping in to ask a question about kettlebells, and to note my progress. For some reason, I think making sure someone else knows about my progress helps keep me motivated. So thanks to you guys for reading.

Firstly – kettlebells. I live fairly close to a fitness equipment manufacturer/wholesaler, and it’s come to my attention that they’ve recently started making (or maybe just sourcing/selling) cast iron kettlebells. Since this is a wholesaler (they sell retail if you specifically know what you’re after) this means a large reduction in the typically ridiculous price charged by all the other fitness stores around here. I could get a 16kg KB for $45. Also, coincidentally, I spotted an advertisement for a few 2nd hand kettlebells. The one that caught my eye was a 24kg for $60. The others were 32kg and 36kg which I think is probably not suitable for me at the moment.

I guess my question is, does anyone have much experience with KBs? What might be a good weight to start with for me? My estimated 1RMs at the moment are 122kg squat, 95kg bench and 157kg deadlift. My actual tested PBs from 2010 were 140kg squat, 95kgx2 bench (the day I tested 1RMs all my bench attempts were dismal failures), and 170kg deadlift, so I’m working back towards these at the moment.
    Secondary questions, does anyone have experience incorporating KBs into a general powerlifting/strength style routine and have suggestions for exercises? Or is that a stupid question, and the suggestion is instead if I want to get something out of KBs I should focus a whole training cycle around them? Is one bell sufficient for a start, or would two be necessary? I guess my conception of KBs at this point is mainly that basic swings might get incorporated into my training pretty easily, but I’m not too sure what else is out there. Turkish getups? A KB doesn’t seem to add much more than a dumbbell there.

Noting progress back towards (and eventually past) my old PBs: squats at 3x5x103.5kg felt super easy yesterday. The week before was 3x8x97.5kg, and that was hard. It left my legs pretty smashed for the rest of the week. Bench progress feels like it’s slowing down as well, I’d expected 3x5x81kg to be fine, but it turned out really difficult in the last set. Deadlifts as well, last week was two sets of 8 at 126kg, and it didn't feel great. Haven't stalled yet though, so I'll just keep working through the progression and seeing where it gets me.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    Man if they are selling them at that price straight from where they produce/source them, kettlebells must be priced a lot higher than normal weight plates x_X.

• Options
    No idea about KBs Solvent, but have you Googled around for more information about good starting weights and programming them?

I'd imagine KBs could be added to a powerlifting program for the conditioning aspect. Swings and cleans and all that stuff. Could be done in a quick circuit on a separate day or after a less intense workout (like a prehab / mob workout).

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Arthil wrote:
    Man if they are selling them at that price straight from where they produce/source them, kettlebells must be priced a lot higher than normal weight plates x_X.
    That is correct. Also consider that in Australia we have wacky prices for things. Some things cheap in the US are crazy expensive here. And some things expensive there are cheap here. I don't know which way it goes for fitness equipment, but assume here is probably on the 'more expensive' side. Especially since most fitness items aren't simple to import, from a weight/packing perspective.

Consider prior cost of a retail kettlebell here: http://www.fitnesswarehouse.com.au/xcart/Kettlebells/

Also, to TB: I haven't googled much yet but I will. Since I lurk here and don't post much these days I thought I'd come in and add to the conversation though, see if anyone else has kettlebell experiences to share :).

Solvent on

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I like to use kettlebells as a GPP routine mixed in with the weightlifting, so nothing too heavy and more reps. Doing 10 minutes of swings definitely increases your cardio and helps with the conditioning. Also helps with the hamstring flexibility and range of motion. I'll just use a 36 kg bell for the light cardio work.

What's your OHP weight? Use that to pick your kettlebell. And the 24 kg is probably the best bet.

Dan John on Kettlebells

• Options
    Solvent wrote: »
    That is correct. Also consider that in Australia we have wacky prices for things. Some things cheap in the US are crazy expensive here. And some things expensive there are cheap here. I don't know which way it goes for fitness equipment, but assume here is probably on the 'more expensive' side. Especially since most fitness items aren't simple to import, from a weight/packing perspective.

Consider prior cost of a retail kettlebell here: http://www.fitnesswarehouse.com.au/xcart/Kettlebells/

Also, to TB: I haven't googled much yet but I will. Since I lurk here and don't post much these days I thought I'd come in and add to the conversation though, see if anyone else has kettlebell experiences to share :).

Oh heck yes, weightlifting gear is fucking expensive down here, especially if it has to be imported. Whereabouts do you train? Sydney?

• Options
    Adelaide.
    I can do dumbbell presses of 3x10x20kg. This makes me think it'd be challenging to get many reps of clean and presses with a 24kg KB. But it'd be better for swings, I'm sure. Hmmm, things to think about.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I'm back in Seattle for a few days. I'll spend most of my time visiting with people, but am determined to find some time to play racquetball at the LA Fitness over here.

Yesterday, I did squats. This time I was able to accomplish a set of 255# x 5. Baby steps...

Squats don't make me feel nearly as powerful as deadlifts do.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    So at my gym we have a squat rack and a cage. On the rack was a guy doing curls, and in the cage was a guy doing pushups on the bar as it was resting on the safety bars. I asked him if I could work in and he said "Only if you're not gonna move the bar."

I almost burned that place to the ground

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    that is unacceptable

• Options
    edited May 2012
    So.

I learned today there's a reason you only do a set of 5 deadlifts, instead of a set of 10.

MYFUCKINGLEGS

Arthil on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    So at my gym we have a squat rack and a cage. On the rack was a guy doing curls, and in the cage was a guy doing pushups on the bar as it was resting on the safety bars. I asked him if I could work in and he said "Only if you're not gonna move the bar."

If there is a Smith machine there you should have asked the second guy to do his pushups there, it's not like the machine is good for anything else.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    The backrest of my bench being just the slightest bit crooked to one side wont hurt anything, will it? Seems it ends up like that no matter how much I fiddle around with different wrenches.

• Options
    So.

I learned today there's a reason you only do a set of 5 deadlifts, instead of a set of 10.

MYFUCKINGLEGS

Tis a powerful lesson.

Fuck I don't even like doing 5s.

Or 3s.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    So.

MYFUCKINGLEGS

Tis a powerful lesson.

Fuck I don't even like doing 5s.

Or 3s.

Why did my legs ache so good though D: ?!?!

Probably a lack of being able to up my weight at all cause this is what my bar looks like for my deadlift currently.

293dcaw.jpg

Arthil on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I love that every single weight is a different color

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's time to invest in some actual weights

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This is pretty awesome, a guy competed in a meet with one arm and beat what I could do with two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImTzpEizsJg

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Worked out yesterday for the first time since April. Decent. Kept it light, gonna stay light and get some conditioning in until June then it's back to big weights. Hope I keep the shoulder healthy

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Why is the music in every powerlifting video so awful?

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

If there is a Smith machine there you should have asked the second guy to do his pushups there, it's not like the machine is good for anything else.

There are constantly people doing bench press on the smith machine

I do not fucking understand that place

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Hulk out!

• Options
    It's time to invest in some actual weights

Hah, yeah they're a bit on the old school side aren't they? I found some others while we were cleaning shit out today, 4 15 pound weights that are thinner than then 7.5's which is the third biggest plate on that bar. Also got two 13.2 weights, as well as two 8.8 weights. Will help but either way I need something better for the deadlifting at least.

Gonna try to get me some iron 45's, and maybe I'll even find a weight tree, at the flea market.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Hulk out!

What's up?

• Options
    The ceiling after your fourth set of squats after three weeks of not squatting?

Shut up and squat

• Options
    ninzorjons wrote: »
    Why is the music in every powerlifting video so awful?

Here dude. I made a video tonight after training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcqXYUPDYCA

• Options
    Haha nice.

• Options
    Also hey so you do know of the Bledisbro?

I got invited by a mate in Wellington to come up in November or whenever it is to join in the festivities.

• Options
    Also hey so you do know of the Bledisbro?

I got invited by a mate in Wellington to come up in November or whenever it is to join in the festivities.

Yep yep, I have competed in it the last two years. It's an awesome comp and was what sold me on competition in the first place. Amazing atmosphere.

This discussion has been closed.