Options

Recommendations for a MMO RTS Strategy Game?

susansusan Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
Hello!

I am in the market for a good MMO Strategy Game to play between meetings at work or when I'm in the field. I've tried WoW, Warhammer, and EVE, and none of them kept me interested for more than a few weeks, while I still go back to Starcraft II and Sins of a Solar Empire fairly regularly. I'm looking for a much more strategy focused online game with some hopefully persistent army/world/city/whatever building elements to it, a game where I can play for a few minutes and then set it down for a few hours or days and then come back and pick up where I left off.

Thanks for your help :) !

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
susan on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I don't really know much about persistence, but there's End of Nations in the pipeline, from the Rift devs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcPewWMkzLw

• Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    I was looking at that, yeah, and also at Novus Aeterno which is also in the pipeline. Both look quite interesting, I expect to play both as soon as they're out. Are there any like this that are out currently that we know of?

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Age of Empires Online is the only big name RTS mmo i can think of atm.

I've tried Battleforge which is kind of a hybrid Magic/RTS game, but you've gotta dish out cash for any kind of decent units.

World of Battles looks kind of cool, but I have no idea how it plays. The MMO Uberlist says it's p2win as well.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Batteforge is quite good. It's become more free-player friendly, but it's still sort of a magic/strategy hybrid. You can easily get by with just a few dollars put in though, and there is a lot to do in the game.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    didn't they release age of empires online? I don't know a whole lot about it

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh yeah, I really liked Battleforge. I should give that a spin again.

It actually has *gasp* nice co-operative missions that are more than just an AI comp-stomp!

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote:
    didn't they release age of empires online? I don't know a whole lot about it

It's pretty fun, it's AoE1 + wow. So levelling your empire, getting loot of varying rarity for your units and structures, an empire talent tree and so on with classic AoE gameplay as the quests. Most of the multiplayer is trading or co-op in quests, but there's pvp also and some community stuff where you do quests in friend's empires and they get stuff from it.