As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gift advice for 2 boys

Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
If one were to want to buy Christmas gifts for 14yr old and 12yr old boys and knew their father spent half his life on these forums, that the said children can quote both Dr. Who and Monty Python on command, both play Minecraft (the younger of which may or may not be thought to be a 21yr old mod on one server), and you didn't want to buy them any more nerf weaponry what, pray tell, would you buy them?

(yeah, I know I'm probably going to regret posting this, but I'm really at a loss...and airsoft guns are apparently right out, too)

Belasco32 on

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    Do they like Lego Sets? Get them some themed lego sets, that's what I do with my nephews and nieces.

steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Thinkgeek also has some cool plush stuff, including some Monty Python and Dr. Who themed things. Though I guess at that age plush toys might be considered 'for little kids'?

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Thinkgeek has the toy sonic screwdrivers, too, which would be an awesome gift.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    mts wrote:

Some people at work got me one of those as a gift. Don't bother. It's kinda cool at first, but the amount of upkeep they take is pretty insane.

It's helium filled, so you've got to keep filling it up in order to use it. I bought a party helium tank for like $30, so that I could just keep topping it up. The problem is that as the helium seeps out and you keep topping it up, you're getting less and less "pure" helium in the balloon. Eventually, you'll have to drain the thing and refill it. And the balloon is massive, so I don't think I have more than one more fill left in my tank.

Also, since it's so god damned massive, it's hard to really do much with it unless you have a gigantic room to use it in. You can't bring it outdoors, because all it takes is for any single part to drop off before it loses the helium/weight equilibrium and floats into space. And since all the parts are taped on, that can very easily happen.

And wind. Wind would destroy this thing.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    anything from thinkgeek.com or perpetualkid.com

well virtually anything.

But i would second the legos/technix kinda stuff.

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    If you are 'crafty' at all, minecraft items made from perler beads are pretty dang neat. You can find tutorials online pretty easily. This is the kind of thing I mean, I've seen some neat creepers and pigs made using this method too. They would probably love even just a 'flat' set of the, maybe made into magnets.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I wonder why there's no minecraft themed lego set...

You might buy them their favorite TV shows on DVD or a netflix subscription. Or a magazine sub - I always used to hound my dad for Newtype and Shojo Beat/Shonen Jump as a kid. Or a game mag like game informer. Comics, video games, collectible cards (think MTG), etc.

Might try grabbing some papercraft schematics offline and buying them some materials so they can make their own models. If they have any interest in art or music or martial arts or anything, sign them up for a class or buy them something nice that fits into that interest (a nice sketch diary or some instructional books, or maybe a book on music theory (assuming that there's such a book on the market intended to hold the attention of a teenager).

If you know what kind of music they like, see about looking up the tour schedules for one of their favorite bands and grab a few tickets for them and one or two of their friends. Make them a mom/dad gift certificate that's good for a night out at their favorite restaurant or a movie or something.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I wonder why there's no minecraft themed lego set...

They're in the works, actually.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Don't want to poop on this idea, but every time I've gotten or given a tiny remote control helicopter it's been played with for a half hour (maybe an hour) then either breaks or is put away and forgotten about.
    Most of that half hour is spent with the thing skidding and hopping across the floor terrifying the dogs. I'm not sure if the kids would have the attention span to put towards such a toy.
    Personally, I'd go with legos, maybe a movie, though I'm not sure of your budget.

Maybe combine the two kids and get them the Harry Potter movie boxed set? Amazon has it for 50 bucks, which seems like a great price (assuming they don't already own half of them)
    http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Complete-8-Film-Collection/dp/B005OCFGTO/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1323791186&sr=1-5

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Legos are awesome. They like minecraft so they should be able to make that jump easily enough.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Note about the Harry Potter set.

It apparently is not the one with all the bells and whistles and special features. It's just the movies. so if you're looking to hold out for the complete 'ohmygod everything' series, that one is apparently coming out next year.

• Options
    General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Are we working with a particular budget here, out of curiosity?

Also, out of experience, my three younger brothers may provide some good examples for things you may want to purchase.

My 15 year old brother is interested in the 3DS, that would be his "goal/score" for this year. He also loves getting Microsoft points.

My 13 year old brother, who is less of a nerd and more of the exemplification of the people I disdain in school (except pretty cool when he's not with his goof friends), just wants clothes and seems a little lost.

My 10 (I think, he lives with his mom) year old brother wants Lego sets. Lots and lots of Lego sets. So I second that, especially being Legos are cool no matter what age you are, lets face it.

The Sonic Screwdriver toys are also very cool. My friend got them and loves them. However, I do warn you of the 11th Doctor's. His breaks easily if not handled properly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Lego are the emergency toys of choice. That or Transformers. I don't know how anyone can't like a really cool massive transformer toy. If you do go the Transformer route, avoid the official movie toys. They suck balls, the good stuff is animated series/beast wars stuff if you can find it.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Teenagers also like fun t-shirts, since they wear them around their friends and generally have limited funds (so they're stuck wearing whatever their parents buy them). My girlfriend got her cousin, who's 15, a couple shirts from threadless, and he loves them (and is a geeky kid).

There's the consistently popular "it came out of nowhere," or something more video-gamey like this or something like "slide forever."

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Split Reason is pretty good for nerdy shirts.

General Pengwin on
    steam_sig.png