As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Expendables 2] Remember My Shirt At Christmas

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    holy fuck I am going to see that movie five times

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I saw mission impossible 4 last night.

It just made me think how good the original was.

Three wasn't bad either I suppose.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    wow, dem trailers

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    I just finished up Law Abiding Citizen. That was better than I expected, though of course very silly for a number of plot-related reasons.

Also, I wanted
    gerard butler to win. He was the much more interesting character. Though I may just be feeling he's more interesting because I want Hannibal Lecter as a super spy assassin

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Futore wrote:
    I just finished up Law Abiding Citizen. That was better than I expected, though of course very silly for a number of plot-related reasons.

Also, I wanted
    gerard butler to win. He was the much more interesting character. Though I may just be feeling he's more interesting because I want Hannibal Lecter as a super spy assassin
    Everyone I have talked to has wanted Butler to win.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    Futore wrote:

Also, I wanted
    I would have been fine with butler losing as long as his death wasn't completely stupid

I felt like the movie lost a lot of steam when they found the secret garage and it wasn't all just based on him accurately predicting everything that was going to happen

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Arang wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    Futore wrote:

Also, I wanted
    I would have been fine with butler losing as long as his death wasn't completely stupid

I felt like the movie lost a lot of steam when they found the secret garage and it wasn't all just based on him accurately predicting everything that was going to happen
    I think, at least for me, that I sympathized so much more with Butler's character and felt he was a cooler character.

Basically I was rooting for the Riddler because there was no Batman.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    New Ghost Rider.

I am........interested.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay I saw Sherlock Holmes 2 tonight and I thought it was a lot of fun

It does suffer from sequelitis on a couple of points: there's a bit too much playing up of "Holmes acts wacky and wears a disguise" stuff, and the middle turns into a bit too much action and faffing around that doesn't lead to much

But the last stretch piled up a ton of complications and double-crosses and actually got fairly intense

And I don't think I'll ever get tired of the slow-motion pre-fight analysis

• Options
    Zonugal wrote:
    Futore wrote:

Also, I wanted
    Surely some debate would rear its head from someone and say to those people "Oh you're justifying killing for means you think are just, bla bla bla." You know, that argument. Which is fine and is the point of the movie and all that. But everything about the way they wrote the Butler and Foxx roles labels Butler as the protagonist. I don't mean in the sense that he is an anti-hero, I mean that he is approachable to the viewer. And not just in his morality

The scene where he and his family are attacked, he is completely helpless. And you see it in his eyes and his body twisting and turning that he is feeling this. He isn't hardened and heroic and plotting out his rescue of his wife and daughter.

Later we discover that he is a superduper super-spy and this killer above all killers, but that only gives us means for bigger action and more intrigue. We still remember that he was in the same position any of us would have been in; that he's still only human. If anything, that reveal of his supergenius gives the viewer a sense of hope that they too can take power and put justice right with their own hands.

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    well, i just wrote a lot on a movie that was, truthfully, rather poorly written. at least as far as the plot goes

but i find that sort of character set up very interesting.

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Futore wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    Futore wrote:

Also, I wanted
    Surely some debate would rear its head from someone and say to those people "Oh you're justifying killing for means you think are just, bla bla bla." You know, that argument. Which is fine and is the point of the movie and all that. But everything about the way they wrote the Butler and Foxx roles labels Butler as the protagonist. I don't mean in the sense that he is an anti-hero, I mean that he is approachable to the viewer. And not just in his morality

The scene where he and his family are attacked, he is completely helpless. And you see it in his eyes and his body twisting and turning that he is feeling this. He isn't hardened and heroic and plotting out his rescue of his wife and daughter.

Later we discover that he is a superduper super-spy and this killer above all killers, but that only gives us means for bigger action and more intrigue. We still remember that he was in the same position any of us would have been in; that he's still only human. If anything, that reveal of his supergenius gives the viewer a sense of hope that they too can take power and put justice right with their own hands.
    Well it doesn't help through the initial portrayal of Jamie Fox's character, the must-win perfect record district attorney.

But at the heart of the matter you have a charismatic, intelligent character who is put through an immense tragedy & seeks absolute revenge for it. That's a character, and motivation, a lot of people can get behind & sympathize with. I mean there is no debate that Bulter is a villain through his slaughter of people but he is the principle character within the film. Also, because of the traditional morality-tale told in American films, we knew he had to go down.

I think the film was an okay one. I think it would have done much better if released before the Dark Knight for obvious ill-felt comparisons but overall the film was enjoyable.

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Well. . . I guess you fucking got me, Expendables 2. Your move.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I think the movie works as well because. (law abiding citizen)
    Butler does die.

I think him getting away with it would be a bit flat.

• Options
    wow. so it turns out that Punisher: War Zone was directed by a lady

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    kept playing the end of the Ghost Rider: Vengeance trailer over and over

also yay more Expendables

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    The new Mission Impossible movie was directed by the same guy as The Iron Giant.

For this reason alone, I will watch it.

• Options
    You know there is a mission impossible thread, right? it's on the front page

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, well

I...uhh

hmm

• Options
    Marcus is a true rebel.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    One with no cause.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    What if his cause is true rebellion.

• Options
    Vera12Vera12 Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:

Did Watson always have that limp? I can't seem to remember. I thought he got wounded in the arm in Afghanistan.
    Also, that bit with the forest and the bomb was fantastic.

Death by Steaksauce!
  • Options
    Vera12 wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:

Did Watson always have that limp? I can't seem to remember. I thought he got wounded in the arm in Afghanistan.
    Also, that bit with the forest and the bomb was fantastic.

Doyle himself was always unclear as to whether it was an arm or leg wound
    Both the Ritchie movies and the BBC show have it in the leg, you can see it at times in the first movie

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i love Gaiman's nod to the unclear injury in A Study In Emerald

• Options
    Which I still need to read

• Options
    http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/emerald.pdf
    it's been hosted on his site for years
    no excuse

• Options
    Got damn

• Options
    yup

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Fuck Chuck Norris. Seriously.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    I recently watched expendables

not really what I was expecting?

• Options
    dunno what you were expecting

because I had my expectations met and exceeded

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I can't believe Sly catered to that moron and made the sequal PG-13. Fucking bullshit.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote:
    I can't believe Sly catered to that moron and made the sequal PG-13. Fucking bullshit.

wait, what

no

nooooo

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    I expected it to be NON STOP ACTION TAKEN TO ELEVEN WOOOO

instead there were a few very exceptional moments scattered throughout pretty standard action fare which was itself sandwiched by long stretches of tedious conversations

often the joke/exceptional thing was "here's the actor"

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    In ‘Expendables 2,’ there was a lot of vulgar dialogue in the screenplay. For this reason, many young people wouldn’t be able to watch this. But I don’t play in movies like this. Due to that I said I won’t be a part of that if the hardcore language is not erased. Producers accepted my conditions and the movie will be classified in the category of PG-13.

Fuck Chuck Norris forever

Thank God people are finally agreeing with me on this

The best thing he ever did was Walker Texas Ranger

• Options
    jesus

you know what

screw you Norris

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    oh boy an other cage movie just what I didnt need

tf2sig.jpg