As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bag for 17" Asus gaming laptop

MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My fiancee just got one of the Asus "Republic of Gamers" laptops, and the thing is a freaking monster. It's also really oddly shaped, and didn't come with a sleeve (cheapos) so she needs something to store it in. Anyone have one of these and know of a laptop bag that will fit it well?

Madpoet on

• Options
    defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    We have the same kind of laptop, frys was the only place we could find a bag big enough to fit it. We had to get a 18" bag, even though the laptop is 17", because of the odd shape you mentioned, 17" bags wouldn't fit. I traced the laptop over some cardboard and made a cutout to bring to the store, that made it easier to see which bags fit.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've found that 17" laptops almost never fit into anything... not even backpacks! I don't have experience with your laptop specifically, but what I used to use for my 17" was some generic messenger bag a family member happened to have given us, I think. The vast majority of "laptop bags" will fit at most a 16" laptop (which my current one is), usually only a 15" one. So I would personally look for generic messenger bags with the appropriate measurements, if you can. But yeah, if you happen to live relatively close to a Fry's Electronics store that's a great bet as well. They're way more comprehensive than the typical chain stores when it comes to carrying this stuff.

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I just got one of these a couple weeks ago. Mine came with a mouse and an Asus/RoG branded backpack.

I'm not sure if they sell these separately, but the backpack is absolutely perfect for my 17" G74SX-DH71. Seriously, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I would vigorously recommend picking one up, if you can find one.

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about. They are absolutely worth that price, if you have the cash.

naporeon on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I don't know exactly if your laptop would fit, but as far as bags go I highly, highly recommend Timbuk2. At a quick glance the largest laptop messenger's stats seem promising size wise. That size is 160 bucks plus any additional options which may seem expensive... but they are fucking tanks.

Seriously.

I have two of their bags and they are sitting at 10 and 12 years old. They are a bit grubby but they are structurally no worse for wear. Thats art school wear. Welding class, sculpture, painting, various chemicals and solvents etc etc. I'm always afraid of sounding like a commercial when I talk about these things because that is actually how strongly I feel about how good they are.

• Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I don't know anything about the laptop you're talking about, but I have a Dell XPS 1700 (I think that's the model number?) laptop, which is also 17" and is freaking huge.

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Gear-17-Inch-Notebook-Backpack/dp/B000WQCYDI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324018637&sr=8-2

My laptop fits in it with no problems and it's a pretty nice backpack on top of that; I use it all the time even when I'm not carrying the laptop on it just because it's durable and holds a lot of stuff. And it's on sale right now! Still pretty pricy though, mine was a birthday gift.

Melinoe on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I know it's the most generic name brand out there, but I prefer the Targus case for the larger laptops. They really do put in the R&D hours to make that thing both comfortable to wear and good at securing larger laptops while providing extra space. I've got a couple of them actually. One for my laptop and one because it holds my 11x17 art pads.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ValaenaValaena Registered User regular
    I have to second the Timbuk2. I have a blue and silver custom one that I bought specifically to match my Asus gaming laptop. Ended up costing me about 250, but I've had it for a number of years now. Its got some kind of water resisting fabric on the outside, and a layer of plasticy... vinyl... thing on the inside. Its built like a tank. I could probably block bullets with this thing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately Timbuk2 isn't an option - per their site, they don't make a single bag that will fit the thing. So, I'm taking her down to Fry's to pick one out, with the Official backpack in mind as a backup. She'd rather a messenger bag, but I'd rather she protect the bloody thing. 8)

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    I find that kind of hard to believe. Timbuk2 makes some giant ass bags.
    http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/stork-diaper-messenger

Sure its a diaper bag, but that means very little.

• Options
    Well, I just used their laptop fit tool on the site. Mayhaps it doesn't search bags of other purpose? I need to make sure the bag is well padded - doesn't matter how long the bag lasts if the laptop doesn't.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Have you tried looking at the WaterField bags and sleeves at http://sfbags.com/ ?

They've got a good selection and I've been happy with everything I've bought from them.

• Options
    ValaenaValaena Registered User regular
    I probably should have specified. It wasn't a 'laptop' bag. It was a normal shoulder bag thing that I added a laptop insert into. They put a big ass cushion on the inside that your laptop sits between.

The bag was a 17 inch I believe. Maybe 20. It was big enough for me to haul around my freaking desktop in, plus mouse and keyboard, ethernet cord, power plugs, and 15 inch monitor inside the laptop insert.

And there isn't any stretching issues or tears or anything. Like I said, it's a champ.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]