As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] 2007: II

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Brandon Lloyd is the same age as Welker. He hasn't played 16 games in the last 2 seasons combined and only once since 2005. He's not a Welker replacement. He's an option at 3WR/4WR as Branch slows down that they chose before they knew Gafney was available.

brandon lloyd's had good seasons in the past, he's just injury prone. The point isn't that he's equivalent to welker it's that he might be a serviceable replacement and he's much cheaper

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    Tough questions, but increasingly easy answers.

I mean, look at the newsday in the NFL. Just today. You have punishments handed down in regards to a program that rewarded players for injuring other players. You have the Buccaneers signing a guy who was paralyzed during a game. And then you have this. Regardless of the context of each individual story, it's injury, paralysis, death all in one day.

I'm not sure the answers are easy at all. Even if you clean up "dirty hits" at the end of the day, the sport is about dudes hitting each other, often at high speeds. That's what the game is, and that is going to result in issues with the brain down the line. To address that would obviously require drastic changes, which is why you it's never going to be addressed. It is not like the only hits that cause brain damage are dirty hits that come from a player who has been paid to deliver it.

The solution is where no one is looking. The NFL needs a R&D department. Have them come up with pads that are less armor, and more protection. If we had astronauts in the 60s with a helmet that allowed near full range of vision and distributed head impacts out over the shoulders to reduce injury chance why doesn't the NFL have better? There are billions being made and you could spare maybe tens of millions to get a modern set of pads to reduce brain trauma amongst other issues. That is one reason why the bounty scandal has annoyed me. The other being the suspensions seem to have no rhyme or reason to them, but maybe it makes sense when you have the hard data.

the main thing is that the league (until now, as a result of public pressure) nobody has really wanted better concussion research or better protective equipment. The NFL could afford it but until recently there was no real reason for them to want to, and there's plenty of financial reason for lots of colleges (not to mention high schools) to want to avoid the perceived necessity of providing space-age, personally fitted helmets.

also NFL suspensions are pretty much exclusively about PR and have been since forever (but more obviously in the goodell era)

I get high schools and colleges not getting an immediate benefit (mass production driving down costs would help eventually) but that is no excuse for the NFL. It seems ridiculously retarded for them to be beating on the drum of player protection while not doing the one thing that would truly change anything without wrecking the game as we know it.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Just in case anyone missed it Junior Seau's death was confirmed as a suicide by gunshot to the chest. The family is donating his brain to concussion research.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Pats sign Joseph Addai.

Man, the pats would have been AWESOME in 2007.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Dallas Clarke visited the pats. Holy shit, they really are trying to build a team for NFL BLITZ.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hines Ward: NBC Emplyee.

Yep.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    FANTASY FOOTBALL IS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

PA Expendables has been renewed but most of you know that already.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I'll take this opportunity to offer myself to any PA league that has lost a member this season (first dibs!!!)

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    NEW ORLEANS -- The attorney for suspended New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma says a ledger of under-the-table cash bonuses and fines for players shows no proof of bounties placed on targeted opponents.

Lawyer Peter Ginsberg said the leaking of the ledger to the media shows how "misguided and irresponsible" NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been in handling the bounty investigation of the Saints.

People familiar with the ledger told the Associated Press on condition of anonymity Friday that the document indicates payments of $1,000 for plays called "cart-offs" and $400 for "whacks," as well as $100 fines for mental errors.

Ginsberg asserted that the commissioner interviewed the person who kept the ledger, and knows "the 'whacks' and 'cart-off,' though regrettably named, were descriptions of good, clean, legal plays, and that any dirty or penalized play resulted in fines."
    LOL.

"Your honor, when we said we wanted Jimmy TwoNose to sleep with the fishes, we just meant we wanted him to go on a nice vacation to the islands. And when we said to make sure to cut off his hands and pull his teeth, we were referring to his handheld phone as well as his Blutooth headset."

Also even if it was true, this scheme would still be illegal under the salary cap rules. Paying players under the table is a pretty major no no, and the 49ers and Broncos championship teams were hit hard for this kind of thing without the bounty system.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    NEW ORLEANS -- The attorney for suspended New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma says a ledger of under-the-table cash bonuses and fines for players shows no proof of bounties placed on targeted opponents.

Lawyer Peter Ginsberg said the leaking of the ledger to the media shows how "misguided and irresponsible" NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been in handling the bounty investigation of the Saints.

People familiar with the ledger told the Associated Press on condition of anonymity Friday that the document indicates payments of $1,000 for plays called "cart-offs" and $400 for "whacks," as well as $100 fines for mental errors.

Ginsberg asserted that the commissioner interviewed the person who kept the ledger, and knows "the 'whacks' and 'cart-off,' though regrettably named, were descriptions of good, clean, legal plays, and that any dirty or penalized play resulted in fines."
    LOL.

"Your honor, when we said we wanted Jimmy TwoNose to sleep with the fishes, we just meant we wanted him to go on a nice vacation to the islands. And when we said to make sure to cut off his hands and pull his teeth, we were referring to his handheld phone as well as his Blutooth headset."

Also even if it was true, this scheme would still be illegal under the salary cap rules. Paying players under the table is a pretty major no no, and the 49ers and Broncos championship teams were hit hard for this kind of thing without the bounty system.

BRILLIANT!

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    What type of ruleset does the PA league use? Slow draft?

• Options
    Most of them are live drafts

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it would get pretty confusing if all 3-4 or whatever of them had slow drafts

I think we talked about it last year but decided against; they are all just snake drafts aside from the one auction league that somebody new runs every year

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    I'm still hoping that people move away from the idiocy of 4 pts per passing TD, so that the race for the RBs isn't a deciding factor of teams.

• Options
    r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular

I mean, look at the newsday in the NFL. Just today. You have punishments handed down in regards to a program that rewarded players for injuring other players. You have the Buccaneers signing a guy who was paralyzed during a game. And then you have this. Regardless of the context of each individual story, it's injury, paralysis, death all in one day.

I'm not sure the answers are easy at all. Even if you clean up "dirty hits" at the end of the day, the sport is about dudes hitting each other, often at high speeds. That's what the game is, and that is going to result in issues with the brain down the line. To address that would obviously require drastic changes, which is why you it's never going to be addressed. It is not like the only hits that cause brain damage are dirty hits that come from a player who has been paid to deliver it.

The solution is where no one is looking. The NFL needs a R&D department. Have them come up with pads that are less armor, and more protection. If we had astronauts in the 60s with a helmet that allowed near full range of vision and distributed head impacts out over the shoulders to reduce injury chance why doesn't the NFL have better? There are billions being made and you could spare maybe tens of millions to get a modern set of pads to reduce brain trauma amongst other issues. That is one reason why the bounty scandal has annoyed me. The other being the suspensions seem to have no rhyme or reason to them, but maybe it makes sense when you have the hard data.

the main thing is that the league (until now, as a result of public pressure) nobody has really wanted better concussion research or better protective equipment. The NFL could afford it but until recently there was no real reason for them to want to, and there's plenty of financial reason for lots of colleges (not to mention high schools) to want to avoid the perceived necessity of providing space-age, personally fitted helmets.

also NFL suspensions are pretty much exclusively about PR and have been since forever (but more obviously in the goodell era)

I get high schools and colleges not getting an immediate benefit (mass production driving down costs would help eventually) but that is no excuse for the NFL. It seems ridiculously retarded for them to be beating on the drum of player protection while not doing the one thing that would truly change anything without wrecking the game as we know it.

“People love technological solutions,” Nowinski went on. “When I give speeches, the first question is always: ‘What about these new helmets I hear about?’ What most people don’t realize is that we are decades, if not forever, from having a helmet that would fix the problem. I mean, you have two men running into each other at full speed and you think a little bit of plastic and padding could absorb that 150 gs of force?”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell#ixzz1wxYEFghv

• Options
    r4dr3z wrote: »

“People love technological solutions,” Nowinski went on. “When I give speeches, the first question is always: ‘What about these new helmets I hear about?’ What most people don’t realize is that we are decades, if not forever, from having a helmet that would fix the problem. I mean, you have two men running into each other at full speed and you think a little bit of plastic and padding could absorb that 150 gs of force?”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell#ixzz1wxYEFghv

Mutant League is our only option.

• Options
    mrt144 wrote: »
    I'm still hoping that people move away from the idiocy of 4 pts per passing TD, so that the race for the RBs isn't a deciding factor of teams.

6pt passing TDs just means that the race is for QBs as well (more than it already is anyway, given their scoring in 4pt formats.) The 'solution' I like best is PPR, which brings a lot of the top receivers up to par with the top running backs.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144 wrote: »

6pt passing TDs just means that the race is for QBs as well (more than it already is anyway, given their scoring in 4pt formats.) The 'solution' I like best is PPR, which brings a lot of the top receivers up to par with the top running backs.

In every league I've played in with 6 Pt passing TDs QBs are a viable alternative to RB1 in the latter picks of the 1st round or RB2 in the earlier rounds. In 4 PT passing TDs QBs are rarely drafted before late 2nd round or early 3rd round. PPR is okay except for exacerbating the value of a few key backs like Sproles. A Calvin Johnson is definitely a much more viable 2nd round pick with PPR. Especially in leagues that allow a flex RB, letting QBs be have better point separation from median makes the strategy of having 3 dominating RBs less of a high reward low risk proposition.

And for a player like Cam Newton, it's stupid that one form of his TDs counts more than another form.

• Options
    I don't hate 6 points per passing TD, it just lets the guy who happened to draft aaron rodgers or whoever the QB-who-goes-nuts is that year demolish the league even more thoroughly than he probably will anyway.

which isn't to say that having chris johnson circa 2010 isn't a big deal too but QB scoring is already so high that making it higher doesn't seem like much of a solution (especially since the QB who happens to go off frequently goes in like, the third round)

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I don't hate 6 points per passing TD, it just lets the guy who happened to draft aaron rodgers or whoever the QB-who-goes-nuts is that year demolish the league even more thoroughly than he probably will anyway.

which isn't to say that having chris johnson circa 2010 isn't a big deal too but QB scoring is already so high that making it higher doesn't seem like much of a solution (especially since the QB who happens to go off frequently goes in like, the third round)

I just hate that Josh Freeman has a terrible year and isn't that much worse than Drew Brees using a nerfed QB scoring system (and a system that doesn't penalize INTs harshly.)

mrt144 on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    My league had 4 pt passing TDs and I don't recall freeman throwing anything out of whack. I feel like 6 pt passing TDs makes QBs way too overpowered. You don't even need to draft good QBs because every single one puts up great numbers. I got great production out of romo without 6 pts

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Fear & Loathing renewed.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Fear & Loathing renewed.

you sure you wanna do this?
    i thought you guys all learned your lesson after last season

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Uhhh, do 5 point passing TDs. Nutso-quarterbacks can still be huge, but it allows good RBs to remain the cornerstone of a team. PPR if you're really concerned about WRs.

I mean come on, you guys are talking about 4 being too little and 6 being too much. The answer's staring right at you.

• Options
    then again i suppose i like the sound of a three peat
    are we gonna try to get hardware this season?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    nutso QBs are already huge. Like 7 of the top ten scorers in relatively standard formats at quarterbacks, and like 13 of the top 20 (freeman scored 200 fewer points than brees in expendables fyi, but only like 20 fewer than top scoring RB ray rice.)

The problem with QBs vs. RB/WRs isn't that QBs don't score enough points, it's that they aren't scarce. There are probably like seven or eight QBs every year who are legit chances to be a top 5 option, and 3-4 more who are a bit below or who will randomly be top 5 even though nobody saw them coming (cam newton.) So in a 10-12 team league where each team starts one QB, there isn't much pressure to get one even though it is the highest scoring position by far. Going to 6 points per touchdown doesn't really change this; it increases the value of the best QBs relative to their peers, but again it's really hard to predict who those guys are going to be (cam newton et al.)

With running backs and WRs the drop off from awesome to not that awesome is much steeper, there are fewer top candidates in general and you start 2-3 of them. Moreso for RBs than WRs, which is why the top 4-5 picks are invariably RBs.

If you want QBs to have similar scarcity you can start two QBs or have a QB-eligible flex, but that just means that the first round and a half of the draft is 90% QBs.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    of course none of that matters when you're playing against the sp00ns though
    since the league results are more or less a foregone conclusion before the season even starts

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Pleeeeaaase let me join the league so I can pull my baseball magic and shut up dlinfiniti. Or at least come in 2nd

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Fear & Loathing renewed.

Stop with your Jibba Jabba, I'm back, you're going down.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    Fear & Loathing renewed.

Ohh you're back are you
    I would ask where you were week 15, but I suspect it's cause you gave up the season after the thrashing I gave you in week two. What makes you think this season is going to go any differently? Hopefully we get to play a little later so you can enjoy some of the season this time before the full weight of both my peats come crashing down on your team ruining your morale causing you to rage quit the league again.

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Fear & Loathing renewed.

Ohh you're back are you
    I would ask where you were week 15, but I suspect it's cause you gave up the season after the thrashing I gave you in week two. What makes you think this season is going to go any differently? Hopefully we get to play a little later so you can enjoy some of the season this time before the full weight of both my peats come crashing down on your team ruining your morale causing you to rage quit the league again.

What revisionist history is this? You won by 18 points in week 2:

2 sp00ns Loss 102.70 - 120.30

And you lost in week 11 by 18

11 sp00ns Win 103.30 - 84.50

And you won by an amazing 9 points in the playoffs

Semifinal
    (1) Slaycity Slayers84.80
    (4) sp00ns95.00

See that number 1 next to my team name? I WAS THE NUMBER ONE SEED. Unfortuantely Arian Foster was out and I had to get Tebow off of the scrap heap after Vick and Shaub went down (a good move mind you but still). You magically won by 9 points. And rage quit the league? What are you talking about. Are you on the bath salts?

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fear & Loathing renewed.

Ohh you're back are you
    will destroy you. must destroy you.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Aww isn't this cute
    Look at all of you banding together to try to make a run at the champ
    Now I know how Joe Montana felt
    Also: Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, mike Tyson, Kobe Bryant, early tiger woods, Anderson Silva, Wayne gretzky, pele, the rock
    And now, the spoons
    Greatness

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Aww isn't this cute
    Also: Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, mike Tyson, Kobe Bryant, early tiger woods, Anderson Silva, Wayne gretzky, pele, the rock
    And now, the spoons
    Greatness

I'd say the Anderson SIlva comparison is good. You were beaten down last year and you got the lucky Triangle, and just like Silva is going to get destroyed by Sonnen you're going to go down hard.

• Options
    Aww isn't this cute
    And now, the spoons
    Greatness

Wayne Gretzky? GOAT no questions asked but he was the champ in Edmonton and Edmonton alone.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    I am confused about why a child would like Brandon Jacobs when a child would hit the hole harder than Jacobs, but:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/brandon-jacobs-gets-3-36-mail-six-old-224310864.html

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    In happy NFL news, Brian Banks, recently exonerated of rape charges, gets a tryout with the Seahawks:

http://mobileprod.nbcsports.acquia-ps.com/content/man-cleared-rape-gets-nfl-tryout-today

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Pats extent Gronk 6 years, $54 Million. Welker must looooooooove that.

also
    June 6, 2012
    Dear Mr. Ochocinco,
    I hope this letter finds you well. Our company, Pornhub.com, (the premier destination for online adult entertainment) would like to offer you an opportunity to solidify your support for the work we do here. Given your continued endorsement of our brand on your widely followed Twitter account, we feel it would only be appropriate to ask you, in the spirit of fun, to take your fandom for us to the next level.
    In short, we would like to extend a proposal for you to legally change your name to Chad Seisnueve on the day of June 9, 2012 for the subsequent 24 hours. As proof, all we require from you is a twitpic of the approved name change registration form accompanied by a @Pornhub hashtag mention. We believe that this partnership can be beneficial to both parties.
    In return for your cooperation and willingness, we will compensate you $69,000.
    We truly appreciate your consideration of our offer and look forward to the possibility of working together soon. Meanwhile, please feel free to continue enjoying the fruits of our labor at Pornhub.com.
    All the best,
    Corey Price

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Hahaha oh my god I hope he does it.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    That would be great but I don't think you can get a name change in 3 days can you?

Also <3 Gronk

This discussion has been closed.