As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Vinyl around the house (hiccups: Linux and Mac)

MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok PA crew, I need your help. I'm currently trying to setup streaming vinyl around my house. I realize that this shouldn't be that hard of a problem to solve, and hopefully folks out there have already solved it, but I haven't come up with much from Googling. Here are my current components:

DUAL 1225 turntable
Philips FR-965 Receiver
Phono PreAmp
Ubuntu 10.04 headless Server
Apple Airport Express
Macbook Pro
Rogue Amoeba's AirPlay

I would like to be able to do the following:
1) Play mp3s from my MBP to both my Airport Express (upstairs) and the Stereo (downstairs). This is currently possible through AirPlay running on my server, which is in turn connected to my stereo as a separate input (Soundcard audio out -> Stereo RCA in).

2) Stream Vinyl from my turntable to both downstairs and upstairs. I realize that streaming to BOTH might be wishful thinking, and I might have to settle for straight output to the stereo and stream to another source.

I see a few possible solutions here, neither of which are all that awesome.

I could connect the turntable to my MBP audio in, then use airplay to stream that to both the stereo and the Airport Express. This is not ideal as I don't really want my laptop residing in my living room.

Is there a program that I am unaware of that allows for streaming both ways on Linux? This would be awesome, as it would allow my to connect (turntable out -> server in), select that as a source, and then stream to both stereo and Airport Express.

Has anyone heard of a setup even remotely like this? What other components would I need to purchase to make this happen (if necessary)?

"Friends are just enemies in reverse."
- Gary Busey
A Glass, Darkly
Mephistopheles on