As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Coating myself.

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Well technically someone else will be coating me. They want to buy me a coat as a Christmas gift.

Anyway, I need a new coat. I have a nice, very warm coat right now but the zipper is broken and one of the buttons broke and it's too expensive to fix. I work in finance and I want to look decent when I start my new job (which will be soon) but I also want to be warm.

I'm trying to figure out something that looks kind of stylish and professional and preferably $300 or less. Bonus if it can be ordered on Amazon.com. Any recommendations you might have are welcome. Also, I'm kind of a biggish guy (6'0" and ~250 pounds or whatever) so there is that to consider as well. My current coat is "XLT" and when I wore it zippered up it was a little snug. Not too bad though.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I probably won't chime in because I'm not the bastion of fashion, but some thing I would want to know is if you're going for windbreaker, sports coat, trench coat, or what.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote:
    I probably won't chime in because I'm not the bastion of fashion, but some thing I would want to know is if you're going for windbreaker, sports coat, trench coat, or what.

I'm looking for some kind of overcoat. I mean that you would wear over even a full suit, but that you can wear with other attire as well. The coat I have right now is this Pronto Uomo coat. I can't find it online but it's longer than a suit jacket and pretty thick, but isn't like a snow coat or anything.

I'm basically looking for a overcoat that looks nice that I can wear over other outfits but isn't like a winter coat or snow coat or whatever. Something dressy.

I'll try and take a picture of me in my coat in a few minutes.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Black trench with a woolen zipout liner?

• Options
    Ok this is what my current coat looks like:

IMG00050-20111220-1446.jpg

I like this style. But I'm not necessarily looking only for this style or material. But I do want that length and versatility. I can wear that with a variety of outfits. But it also looks pretty professional.

That one cost me somewhere around $90-120 a few years ago.

And yes I am wearing pajama pants.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    The title of the fashion thread last winter was "Buy a peacoat"

I believe that is always good advice.

Fashionable? Yes
    Wear over suits? Yes
    Less than $300? Yes
    On amazon? Yes.

I believe Schotts is considered one of the better brands in pea coats.

• Options
    Take a look at top-coat or car-coats. They're pretty similar in length/style and not full on trench coats. They vary a lot though. Amazon has a good selection, but I recommend going to a men's clothing store. It'll be worth it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote:

Fashionable? Yes
    Wear over suits? Yes
    Less than $300? Yes
    On amazon? Yes.

I was thinking of a peacoat, yeah. Thanks!

How would you classify the coat I have now (the above pic)? I'm so fashion-dumb.

Djeet wrote:
    Black trench with a woolen zipout liner?

I was thinking that too.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    Take a look at top-coat or car-coats. They're pretty similar in length/style and not full on trench coats. They vary a lot though. Amazon has a good selection, but I recommend going to a men's clothing store. It'll be worth it.

I did pop into a Men's Wearhouse yesterday since I had time to kill before my interview but pretty much everything looked nice to me except the leather jackets which I just don't think works for me.

• Options
    @Drez looks like some sort of duffle coat.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Peacoats can vary wildly. I have one from Old Navy, while a bit scratchy, looks quite nice. I think it was <$50 as well. It's lasted me several years as well, i don't wear it as much now though.

Higher end will have nicer stitching, be softer, etc etc.

K&G is a good place to find nice looking stuff at a big discount as well.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Burtletoy wrote:

Fashionable? Yes
    Wear over suits? Yes
    Less than $300? Yes
    On amazon? Yes.

I was thinking of a peacoat, yeah. Thanks!

How would you classify the coat I have now (the above pic)? I'm so fashion-dumb.

I dunno, either. I would probably just use some words to describe it.

Like:
    Black funnel collar coat with snaps.

Or something.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've a peacock peacoat* from J Crew, and while I like it, it's not as friendly to layering. Not enough space in the sleeves. If you're going to wear a dress jacket/sportcoat under it with any regularity I'd go with a long woolen topcoat (warmer) or trench (better in the rain).

*Edit: Don't know what happened there, maybe I was posting from the iPhone. Damn autocorrect.

Djeet on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't buy a coat at Amazon.
    Dude, go to Century 21. 2nd floor. Money.

• Options
    Heh, man I used to go to Century 21 all the time. Worked right next door.

That's really not a bad idea actually.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    The last time my friend was in town he picked up a suade calvin klein blazer for like $140

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    #1 - try things on. A nice fitting coat is gold.
    #2 - For nice, you generally are going either Peacoat or Trench. If you wear suits, go with a nice lined trench. Otherwise Peacoat
    #3 - I personally fucking hate "nice" coats, because they're usually neither waterproof nor fully windproof. So for warm and usable, I vote light polyfill down (like this: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men's-Compressor™-Jacket/OM4155,default,pd.html ) and a decent goretex paclite shell. You can survive anything with either of those 2 coats. I am, however, a whore for technical outerwear, so feel free to ignore.

• Options
    Yeah I was always a fan of function over form over style. That's why I wear a windbreaker with a dress shirt/tie.

• Options
    I've climbed the white mountains in winter (-50 with windchill) with just a compressor (old version), paclite shell and long underwear top. That same compressor I took out to the bars every night, as well as shoveling.

• Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    I was in the same position as you, though it differed when you mentioned wanting to wear it into an office environment.

Nevertheless, I'll suggest the jacket I picked. It's a Carhartt:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GHCFBC/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

It keeps me warm, looks great (I think), and is built extremely well. I know it's not exactly along the lines of what you were asking for but I figured I'd still throw it out there.

I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    I found this from a Burlington Coat Factory for around a hundred dollars a few years ago. It is absolutely amazing and versatile. It's a little bit larger on me than I'd first go towards getting a coat, which is nice, because I can layer underneath. A sweatshirt, under shirt, that coat, well lined gloves, and a hat lets me operate in snow-laden winters in complete comfort, while the jacket is light enough on its own over just a shirt for late autumn.

The big buttons are durable, and despite wearing very often, there's been no tearing. Though it isn't "water proof" persay, a twenty minute walk home in the rain left me dry except for the ends of the sleeves. The collar can be raised to take the place of a scarf (that's what that extra neck button is), but the opening is big enough to comfortably fit neck protection. I personally prefer the double breasted buttons to a zipper in a jacket, both fashion wise and in use.

Most important advice I would like to emphasize: consider Djeet's layering complaint first and foremost. The ability to layer is what will make a coat versatile. Seek: room underneath to layer, a thick, warm, and sturdy construction, and a heavy enough weight so that the jacket hangs flatteringly even when nothing is beneath it (also generally belies a sturdy construction). Double breasted is a plus. Avoid: Zippers (buttons are the most efficient-jacket-closing-device, they're harder to break, and they don't stick) and hoods (you can wear a hooded sweatshirt under your jacket if you must have a hood. But you can also wear a hat. Drez, you're a man of action, a man with options. Cover your head when you want to with what you want to. Leave it bare if you choose. Don't lock yourself into a vestigal flap draped about your neck!)

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Get a peacoat. Burtletoy has it right. It will look great over a suit and looks great dressed down as well.

No offense to Billwill or schuss intended, but neither of those jackets linked by you guys fit the criteria of:
    Drez wrote:
    professional
    Drez wrote:
    I'm looking for some kind of overcoat. I mean that you would wear over even a full suit

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    1 a peacoat
    T13362525.jpg
    2 a different wool overcoat of some length(Overcoat/Carcoat/topcoat)
    P13326562.jpg
    T12738940.jpg

3(maybe) a canvas rain coat with a thicker zip-in liner. But I think they are a little dick-tracy-ish.

There also some consideration to be given on color. Cause black is great, but you also look like you are going to a funeral, especially in anything longer than a peacoat.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    DrAlleconDrAllecon Registered User regular
    This page at Kingsizedirect.com has some nice examples of wool overcoats and a Pea coat, all reasonably priced. Their return policy is pretty solid, and the quality of their clothes is reliable. http://www.kingsizedirect.com/Big-and-Tall-2-Wool-Coats.aspx?DeptId=23971

• Options
    I'm wondering if I should get XL or XXL.

I guess I should try some stuff on tomorrow.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    I'm wondering if I should get XL or XXL.

I guess I should try some stuff on tomorrow.

Remember you may want to wear it over a suit. Also I'm sure it will vary by brand. Nicer companies make them to a suit size basically. So you could get a ##L.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Great, that link to Schott has planted the seeds of ideas into my brain causing some serious Coatception. . . Now I want to drop like $400 on a coat because awesome.

I currently have a badly fitting peacoat that I got from a value village for $3.50 a few years ago (it's too tight around my shoulders) but I have to say peacoats look totally pimp and they keep you super warm.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    I really hate the double button look of peacoats.

• Options
    If you're a big guy then double-breasted is not a flattering look.

• Options
    Djeet wrote:

For awhile, a double breasted suit was my primary go-to and I think I looked pretty fucking awesome in it, to be honest.

• Options
    Get a peacoat. Burtletoy has it right. It will look great over a suit and looks great dressed down as well.

No offense to Billwill or schuss intended, but neither of those jackets linked by you guys fit the criteria of:
    Drez wrote:
    professional
    Drez wrote:
    I'm looking for some kind of overcoat. I mean that you would wear over even a full suit

As I said, if you're wearing over a suit, get a trench or similar. My big problem is that most of those are straight up garbage when it comes to warmth/protection. I personally rocked suit+ large umbrella and was generally fine.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Djeet wrote:

For awhile, a double breasted suit was my primary go-to and I think I looked pretty fucking awesome in it, to be honest.

I didn't mean to be insulting or anything; whatever advice you get here should take a backseat to how you look and feel when you try stuff on. I prefer the look of DB too (at least in pictures on other people), though being pretty wide through the shoulder I think it draws attention to width across the torso, so I don't like the look so much on myself. I think DB is considered more classic by many, or at least is represented as such in movies and whatnot.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    schuss wrote:

Drez wrote:
    professional
    Drez wrote:

As I said, if you're wearing over a suit, get a trench or similar. My big problem is that most of those are straight up garbage when it comes to warmth/protection. I personally rocked suit+ large umbrella and was generally fine.

Alternatively, get a peacoat since they are great for warmth/protection.

:)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Djeet wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Djeet wrote:

I didn't mean to be insulting or anything; whatever advice you get here should take a backseat to how you look and feel when you try stuff on. I prefer the look of DB too (at least in pictures on other people), though being pretty wide through the shoulder I think it draws attention to width across the torso, so I don't like the look so much on myself. I think DB is considered more classic by many, or at least is represented as such in movies and whatnot.

Sorry if I came off as if I took offense. I was just using the opportunity to be self-aggrandizing. :)

No worries.

I went to Macy's and tried some on. XXL double breasted peacoats looked good. I ended up ordering one online because they didn't have the style I wanted.

Thanks all :) I might end up getting myself a trenchcoat too. Any advice in that regard?

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Thanks all :) I might end up getting myself a trenchcoat too. Any advice in that regard?

Don't. They're not as timeless as people will lead you to believe and on bigger guys they just look bad.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    I might end up getting myself a trenchcoat too. Any advice in that regard?

Mine's pretty utilitarian and traditionally cut/styled. Black, single breasted, an abundance of straps/belt-things, and I cannot find it on the London Fog website. These things were purpose made to keep your suit looking nice even if you need to walk in windy and/or rainy conditions, what with all the belts/straps; it's basically a long gabardine windbreaker with a removable wool liner.

Due to where I work/live I have little need to use it though. If I didn't need to wear a jacket underneath I might opt for something like this (for rain) and I've got a topcoat like this in addition to a peacoat. My taste in outer and formalwear is pretty conservative I think. And I don't mean to shill for London Fog, they have some convenient examples and I was looking for the trench I have, which looks like this, but with an integrated belt, wrist straps and epaulette straps (why would I need those?).

If you do get a long coat make sure it's vented in the back,

And really, for where I live, I have way too much outerwear.