As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Opinions On A Used Laptop

DekabalDekabal Registered User regular
I just wanted to get peoples opinions on whether or not the Sony Vaio Z12 is still worth buying. I'm looking for a portable laptop with a great screen and dedicated gpu and none of the models out this year meet all three requirements.

I can get the 2010 Z12 with a 1080p screen, carbon fiber top, i5 (2.53 ghz) cpu, 128 ssd hard drive, and 4 gb of ram for about $1000 (gonna try to talk them down to $900) used. Would this be worth it. To me, I'm nervous about buying a laptop this expensive used but I don't really see any other alternatives.

Dekabal on

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    it's not actually a 1080p screen on those vaios, it's 1600x900.

but that price is a little high, you can get similar spec laptops, i5's,same gfx card, same ram, for about $700-900 new.

Vaio's are always overpriced because of the sony name, and carbon fiber case. if you can get them down to around $800 than i'd go for it.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    DekabalDekabal Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote:

but that price is a little high, you can get similar spec laptops, i5's,same gfx card, same ram, for about $700-900 new.

Vaio's are always overpriced because of the sony name, and carbon fiber case. if you can get them down to around $800 than i'd go for it.

The thing about it is that it has a great screen (in terms of clarity and color reproduction) that I haven't been able to find in any 13" or sub 6 pound 15" machines.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Dekabal wrote:
    Foomy wrote:

The thing about it is that it has a great screen (in terms of clarity and color reproduction) that I haven't been able to find in any 13" or sub 6 pound 15" machines.

well if your really wanting a 13" with those specs, or a light laptop, than yes the vaio is the way to go.

not the biggest fan of the raid 0 ssd's , but I guess it wont matter if they die in 2 years with the price of them coming down constantly, and you might have a new laptop by then.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Dekabal wrote:
    I just wanted to get peoples opinions on whether or not the Sony Vaio Z12 is still worth buying. I'm looking for a portable laptop with a great screen and dedicated gpu and none of the models out this year meet all three requirements.

I can get the 2010 Z12 with a 1080p screen, carbon fiber top, i5 (2.53 ghz) cpu, 128 ssd hard drive, and 4 gb of ram for about $1000 (gonna try to talk them down to $900) used. Would this be worth it. To me, I'm nervous about buying a laptop this expensive used but I don't really see any other alternatives.

I understand the price of that new would be high. $700 tops, it's used, not new.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me