Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

I just lost like eleven thousand souls. Finally managed to defeat the Capra demon which gave me a bucket of souls, went into the Depths, was doing perfectly okay... and suddenly a hole I didn't see sends me down in front of a bunch of horrible bug-eyed frogs that one-hit kill me and curse me.

End result: just lost enough souls to go up three levels, and my HP is screwed until I can save up the money needed for a curse-removal stone.

At this rate I'm never going to fucking go up from level 22 x_x.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I should probably read up on the basics. I have very little idea what's going on. Thats probably normal though.

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    It is, Big Isy.

Protip, minor spoiler, excellent sword:
    If you want a bad ass sword early on, when you encounter the Red Dragon who shoots fire on the bridge, go under the bridge and shoot arrows at his tail till you get the Drake Sword. Took me like 16 Standard Arrows, which you can buy at the merchant in Undead Burg.

The sword is 200damage....req 16str and 10 dex which is pretty low reqs.

Excision on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    I usually play Dex characters. I found Dex+Faith (Darkmoon Blade) to be better than Dex+Int (Crystal Magic Weapon). But yeah, Faith was a lot more fun in Demon's Souls when you got HP regen.

• Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Achire wrote: »
    I usually play Dex characters. I found Dex+Faith (Darkmoon Blade) to be better than Dex+Int (Crystal Magic Weapon). But yeah, Faith was a lot more fun in Demon's Souls when you got HP regen.

The weapon buff is better sure, and you get a recall spell and WoG. So for PvP it is better, but its also way more boring and way less in game to support it in an interesting way. However, you don't get the buff until late game which makes it pretty meh. Though Lightning is pretty insane against a lot of the early bosses.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Being clueless wasn't such a bad thing, by using the transient curse and killing some ghosts, I got myself +1 Estus flasks early on, so I'm currently at +2 and I've yet to beat Queelag.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Don't get too secret heavy if you look up info. A lot of secrets are pretty goofy to do and overpower you like crazy. Try to keep whatever you look up to a minimum of basic mechanics (like what stats and symbols mean).

• Options
    I just want to know how things work. Like talismans or why I had 10 estus flasks that one time I hit the bonfire but only get 5 or 7 now.

Also I already knew about the red dragon thing, had it spoiled early on.

• Options
    Yeah, the Drake sword is something I looked up and it's honestly quite OP that early on.

• Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    I beat the game the first time in a complete blackout and honestly it was way more fun. If you want to get the most enjoyment from the game dont look up ANYTHING. The game is about exploration, survival, and mystery. You can't explore if you know what's coming. There's no mystery once you've read things like mechanics, spells, weapon lists, etc. If you're repeatedly getting stomped by a boss and can't take the frustration, fine go watch a video on the boss. However, if you're just reading the wiki all you're doing lessening the thrill of the game and the fun you can derive. Exploring places like the Tomb of Giants for the first time is fun, going through it when you know it is not, AT ALL, even though it might be easier.

Replaying through the non DLC portion of the game was not nearly as fun as the first time through. Going through the DLC the first time blind was 50x as fun as replaying the base game.

• Options
    Yeah I guess thats true. Besides I can always ask/annoy you lot. :P

• Options
    Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    Divine weapon! Wiki thou art my friend. Skeletons, you are boned.

Endlessly reviving skeletons made me wonder why people don't complain about it more than Blight town.

• Options
    Getting enough poise to just shrug off arrows makes me feel really badass and I'm gonna try to get that poise really high now.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

I just lost like eleven thousand souls. Finally managed to defeat the Capra demon which gave me a bucket of souls, went into the Depths, was doing perfectly okay... and suddenly a hole I didn't see sends me down in front of a bunch of horrible bug-eyed frogs that one-hit kill me and curse me.

End result: just lost enough souls to go up three levels, and my HP is screwed until I can save up the money needed for a curse-removal stone.

At this rate I'm never going to fucking go up from level 22 x_x.

Basilisks are fucking terrifying until you realize that they really don't have a direct attack. Just keep your distance and watch your curse meter. When they do their lunge attack just step back, wait for them to land, kill them, then back up out of the cloud. Same thing when they run up to you, they take a big breath before spewing their curse cloud, a single hit usually knocks them out of their puff up.

Also, do your best to take them on one at a time (good rule of thumb for almost any encounter in dark souls).

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Finally got the 6000 souls for a curse elimination stone. Now, time to go explore the Depths again, I suppose.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Yeah, the Drake sword is something I looked up and it's honestly quite OP that early on.

Personally, I'm a fan of encouraging new players to get the Drake Sword because then they can focus more about the mechanics of the game (like how to dodge/block/parry) instead of also having to think about how to cause enough damage to make things die.

Plus, I also think it's intentional design for the areas immediately following the Drake Sword to mainly consist of narrow corridors which make the Drake Sword's swing ricochet off the walls, thus causing you to interrupt your swing and leaving you open to attack.

• Options
    Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just me but I find the Halberd/Black Knight Halberd way more abusive. Bait an attack/bop a guy on the shield, stab, repeat. That range is ridiculous, never much danger. I didn't really start having trouble with enemies again until the ghosts and Capra.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Finally got the 6000 souls for a curse elimination stone. Now, time to go explore the Depths again, I suppose.

You don't have to ever fight any basilisks to get to the boss, thankfully.

Gaping Dragon defeated, 3/3 on tail cuts. Need to upgrade my weapons some more, they're not cutting things up enough, and I can't one-hand the drake sword (dex build, I only have 14 strength). Oh well, picked up combustion, so I can farm the slime hallway in the depths for shards, and I bought the weapon upgrade box so I only need to see blacksmiths for ascending now.

Tried getting the side sword, but only had 2 humanity, didn't want to crack any, and had no luck.

Come to think of it, I should go clear the basilisk area since I have the winged spear (made a suicide run or two into the graveyard at start because it's not hard to loot the stuff before dying), I want what's in there.

Currently, 20 vit, 18 end, 14 strength, 22 dex. Need to level attunement to get a second slot, want to stick fireball in there (Also, why is there no fire weapon pyromancy?).

Probably going to be using my tail axe for a bit now, because it dramatically improves my resistance to poison and toxin... and Blighttown is the next area.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I haven't really tried using the Black Knight Sword, but it seems to be so slow, 1H or 2H. I'm quite a fan of how the Longsword handles, I want a similar one, the Drake Sword loses points for not having a stab. (Except the jumping stab)

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I haven't really tried using the Black Knight Sword, but it seems to be so slow, 1H or 2H. I'm quite a fan of how the Longsword handles, I want a similar one, the Drake Sword loses points for not having a stab. (Except the jumping stab)

I love the Black Knight Sword. Love it.

Plus it makes for great PvP, because when people see you with a giant sword they think they have time to take you on deliberately, but they're never prepared for a unexpectedly fast two handed running swing which staggers them out of block then quickly followed up with a second swing that cleaves them in two.

Plus, it has a horizontal arc almost as big as a halberd, so people can't get behind you very easy.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    Hey, if I'm going to go high poise, might as well start using it!

When people say this is a horrible horrible port, I get quite mad. It's like these people have never actually played a bad port. Low resolution aside, I haven't had any crashes, graphical glitches or trouble playing the game at all. Had FROM been able to up the resolution (Heck, they should contact Durante and have this be an official patch of sorts) this would be an excellent port.

Next person to complain gets to play the PC port of FF7.

• Options
    I've had an enemy pop into existence few feet in front of me. Like pop in but with actual enemies. Beyond that though its just the regular slowdown St times when there's more than 5 enemies.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Who did you buy it from? I could swear someone sells it for 3k. Either the pardoner or the female undead in the shortcut to the lower burg.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I haven't had any slowdown issues, except when there's a lot of fire on screen, and certain parts of Blighttown if I look into the distance. Since vsync is active, slight fps drops send the game down to 15fps which makes it very noticeable.

• Options
    Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    For those having trouble with the Capra Demon, aside from the usual tips of having a high stability shield and sufficient poise and running up the stairs, try using the sorceries Hidden Body and Aural Decoy, purchasable from the sorcerer you rescued in the same area. Hidden Body reduces the aggro range of the dogs so that they won't attack you as soon as you enter, and Aural Decoy will cause them all to attack wherever the spell lands instead of you.

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Personally, I'm a fan of encouraging new players to get the Drake Sword because then they can focus more about the mechanics of the game (like how to dodge/block/parry) instead of also having to think about how to cause enough damage to make things die.

Plus, I also think it's intentional design for the areas immediately following the Drake Sword to mainly consist of narrow corridors which make the Drake Sword's swing ricochet off the walls, thus causing you to interrupt your swing and leaving you open to attack.

The Drake Sword does have the 2handed strike ability where it shoots out a wave in front of you, which could help in the tight hallways....never tried it as I have been using it strictly sword & board.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    What is more useful for a basic heal spell to use with my 14 faith? Heal or Greater Heal Excerpt?
    Still wondering.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Excision wrote: »

The Drake Sword does have the 2handed strike ability where it shoots out a wave in front of you, which could help in the tight hallways....never tried it as I have been using it strictly sword & board.

True, but if I remember correctly the two handed wave attack ate durability like it was candy.

• Options
    What is more useful for a basic heal spell to use with my 14 faith? Heal or Greater Heal Excerpt?
    Still wondering.

I wish I knew Spaniard, but I'm guessing the Greater because it has a better multiplier. But it's a give and take, because you get more uses out of basic Heal before having to rest.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Still wondering.

I'd go with heal, since you get five uses per attunement slot compared to excerpt's one. Also, situations where you use healing miracles are more for a downtime top-up so you most likely won't be healing your full amount of health at once. They take a little while to cast, so they aren't too useful in frantic combat.

Aistan on
  • Options

Plus it makes for great PvP, because when people see you with a giant sword they think they have time to take you on deliberately, but they're never prepared for a unexpectedly fast two handed running swing which staggers them out of block then quickly followed up with a second swing that cleaves them in two.

Plus, it has a horizontal arc almost as big as a halberd, so people can't get behind you very easy.

Should I max it with upgrades?

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Still wondering.

I'm pretty sure Heal, because despite its lower healing per cast, you get more casts (I think 5 times more) and you don't have to worry about overhealing as much.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    OK, I've been on vacation, so I'm just playing catch-up with people's opinions on the game and whatnot. I just watched the video of Blight Town gameplay.

There is zero excuse for anyone on the PC who actually has any interest in the game at all to not get it. The game looks downright broken on the 360 in comparison, and it's STILL a more playable experience than some games I've seen. (EDIT: This is not meant to start an argument or anything like that at all, I'm saying I cannot believe how well it runs on PC and the worries up til now have been completely silly -- hindsight is 20/20 and all, but damn... looks amazing on PC!)

Also, I am insanely jealous of all you players that don't know what's what. I really cannot wait for the next ____ Souls game.

Fawst on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    OK, I've been on vacation, so I'm just playing catch-up with people's opinions on the game and whatnot. I just watched the video of Blight Town gameplay.

There is zero excuse for anyone on the PC who actually has any interest in the game at all to not get it. The game looks downright broken on the 360 in comparison, and it's STILL a more playable experience than some games I've seen. (EDIT: This is not meant to start an argument or anything like that at all, I'm saying I cannot believe how well it runs on PC and the worries up til now have been completely silly -- hindsight is 20/20 and all, but damn... looks amazing on PC!)

Also, I am insanely jealous of all you players that don't know what's what. I really cannot wait for the next ____ Souls game.

There's an excuse: a pad is very, very required :P

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Still wondering.

I'm pretty sure Heal, because despite its lower healing per cast, you get more casts (I think 5 times more) and you don't have to worry about overhealing as much.
    Aistan wrote: »
    Still wondering.

I'd go with heal, since you get five uses per attunement slot compared to excerpt's one. Also, situations where you use healing miracles are more for a downtime top-up so you most likely won't be healing your full amount of health at once. They take a little while to cast, so they aren't too useful in frantic combat.
    That is exactly what I was thinking, but someone somewhere commented that excerpt would be better without giving a reason. So I had to ask if maybe there was some variable I was missing.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    God dammit. I was exploring in the depths, killing basilisks (I got a ring whose description makes it sound like the best thing ever. Evil Eye Ring or something. Says it returns HP from damaging enemies) and suddenly I got invaded. Needless to say, I get incredibly surprised - I'm playing offline, WTF? Apparently there are also invading NPCs.so, you know. Another 5000 souls down the drain, because I'm not sure there was anything left down there worth risking so many basilisks again - they're easy, but the whole "one-hit-kill breath" thing is enough to make one nervous. Should have brought more Big Arrows...

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    The breath isn't one-hit kill if you manage to dig up some curse resist. I don't recall how much is available that early one, but you should be able to find something to help out.

• Options

Should I max it with upgrades?

Yes. It tops out at 330 base damage with some stat scaling in strength. Plus, since you can buy twinkling titanite from a later blacksmith a little farming in Anor Londo will max it out easily.

• Options
    God dammit. I was exploring in the depths, killing basilisks (I got a ring whose description makes it sound like the best thing ever. Evil Eye Ring or something. Says it returns HP from damaging enemies) and suddenly I got invaded. Needless to say, I get incredibly surprised - I'm playing offline, WTF? Apparently there are also invading NPCs.so, you know. Another 5000 souls down the drain, because I'm not sure there was anything left down there worth risking so many basilisks again - they're easy, but the whole "one-hit-kill breath" thing is enough to make one nervous. Should have brought more Big Arrows...

Someone met Kirk.

• Options
    Well, in any case, I did have to go down anyway, so I recovered my souls. Found a merchant, advanced a bit, failed in trying to find a shortcut so I advanced through the mist...

What. The. FUCK.

This discussion has been closed.