Options

Sick Tat, Brah

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    I don't drink, take rec drugs, gamble, fight, or fuck. But I'll bet a straight edge person would still want to beat me up.

You should get on that!
    At least the fucking part

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Weed is something to be in the mood for. Otherwise I do not enjoy it that much.

Like arrested development.

Gotta be in the right mood for that.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    posted this in the beauty thread, but there's a perfectly good tattoo thread sitting here! i'm going to have a very belated -- and therefore inflated -- paycheck, and since it's my 30th birthday in a week and a half, i'm thinking of finally getting a tattoo -- my first. i have some ideas, but i think it'll have to be a bit spontaneous, like getting my septum done; my biggest stumbling block is placement, since i want to be able to care for it easily, but not so easily that i'll scratch it without thinking. and placement corresponds pretty strongly with design, soooooo... i work in some fairly liberal environments, at least.

tattooing was only legalized here 6 years ago; i know there was an underground scene, so there are people with talent who've been here all along, but i have little basis for judgement beyond my own taste. but this guy's work makes me go "ooh", so i think i'll try to get in with him, if and when i do this thing. look!
    oA5jq.jpg
    iGqET.jpg
    D7tXB.jpg
    kOXb6.jpg

not what i have in mind, or to my taste, particularly, but still, wow:
    1QZW3.jpg
    Yqu1F.jpg
    mS89L.jpg
    gbmkm.jpg
    bSrp9.jpg
    r5M0a.jpg

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I already told you I loved those, especially the birds, but I'll say it again.

Also what are your ideas for your design?

Currently I have three

The longer I wait to get my next tattoo the more ideas I have

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The birds and branches are Gosh darn neat.

• Options
    If you want suggestions pooka, I will suggest what I always suggest.

A giant spider crawling out of your boobs.

• Options
    well, i'd like both mockingbirds and scissortail flycatchers in some fashion, and i've thought about doing the traditional collarbone placement for either of those, since i favor symmetry. i rather like the feathers behind the ear, though i'd start higher up and go bigger -- i've previously considered having a bird there. i think blackwork is just stunning, but the only design i've really latched onto is simple rings around my limbs; i thought of tree ring tattoos before The Fountain, damnit. i'm drawn to the aesthetics of both art nouveau and art deco, so really organic or geometric shapes loom large in my mind.

i really like the idea of having stuff on my inner wrists and elbows, and bigger work on my ribs.

i'm just all over the place.

i've had ideas since i was 13, but they seem too grandiose for me now. just too much symbolism and size required, especially for my first tattoo; i had this whole concept for a backpiece, which i could build up when i could afford more work... it seems silly now, but also kind of sweet how earnest and new-agey spiritual i was at that point. not that the symbols don't apply, i'm just not as keen to share them so plainly, i guess.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    not what i have in mind, or to my taste, particularly, but still, wow:
    1QZW3.jpg

damn

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Yeah, go for that artist if he's accepting new clients.

Also, where are you that this jusy recently became legal?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I already told you I loved those, especially the birds, but I'll say it again.

Also what are your ideas for your design?

Currently I have three

The longer I wait to get my next tattoo the more ideas I have

god, I have had so many tattoo ideas that I forget them

like it took me a year to get this
    di92D.jpg
    but the only reason I got it recently is because the tattoo I intended to get that day, the artist was unavailable

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, go for that artist if he's accepting new clients.

Also, where are you that this jusy recently became legal?

Oklahoma. we were the last state to legalize it.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    ooh.
    EaCHP.jpg
    lots of nsfw, but Grisha Maslov is worth searching. his website is very... well, it's a website. but i dig this abstractness; Picasso-esque meets tribal? wish i knew Russian, so i could read how he describes it.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i'm iffy on that design but i love the color

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    posted this in the beauty thread, but there's a perfectly good tattoo thread sitting here! i'm going to have a very belated -- and therefore inflated -- paycheck, and since it's my 30th birthday in a week and a half, i'm thinking of finally getting a tattoo -- my first. i have some ideas, but i think it'll have to be a bit spontaneous, like getting my septum done; my biggest stumbling block is placement, since i want to be able to care for it easily, but not so easily that i'll scratch it without thinking. and placement corresponds pretty strongly with design, soooooo... i work in some fairly liberal environments, at least.

tattooing was only legalized here 6 years ago; i know there was an underground scene, so there are people with talent who've been here all along, but i have little basis for judgement beyond my own taste. but this guy's work makes me go "ooh", so i think i'll try to get in with him, if and when i do this thing. look!
    oA5jq.jpg

I think my favorite is the first one you posted. It almost makes me want to get a bird tattoo myself, but I'm getting my first one (to celebrate finally getting my degree) and I know exactly what I want. Gonna get a yellow jessamine vine on my right arm and shoulder.

I am in a similar boat as you about the lack of long-established tattoo artists in my state, though; Google tells me South Carolina only legalized tattooing a couple of months before Oklahoma did. I'm busy moving cities so I haven't really started looking yet, but I'm half-expecting to have to drive to Charlotte or Atlanta for this.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If I get some spendin' money again, I think I am actually starting to get up the nerve to get the Stargate earth glyph on my shoulder.

250px-Stargate-earth-glyph.svg.png

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Geek that would seriously cost like 80 bucks tops

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Bird tattoos you say?? I got this put on me today. Still wildly raw
    tumblr_m43eg5EdEm1qigwg9o1_500.jpg

spoilered for gratuitous dude nipple

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    yeah i wanna get my first tattoo in the next month or so. i have a horrible needle phobia and i've always been told tattoos are DUMB AS HECK but i've wanted the same one for almost eight years now

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=7736926

obviously just in black and white, nice and simple

or

federation-logo.gif

i can't decide which i like better. i'm leaning towards the latter.

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    ooh.
    EaCHP.jpg
    lots of nsfw, but Grisha Maslov is worth searching. his website is very... well, it's a website. but i dig this abstractness; Picasso-esque meets tribal? wish i knew Russian, so i could read how he describes it.

IFIGHTFORTHEUSERSIFIGHTFORTHEUSERSIFIGHTFORTHEUSERS

• Options
    Fandyien wrote: »
    yeah i wanna get my first tattoo in the next month or so. i have a horrible needle phobia and i've always been told tattoos are DUMB AS HECK but i've wanted the same one for almost eight years now

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=7736926

obviously just in black and white, nice and simple

or

federation-logo.gif

i can't decide which i like better. i'm leaning towards the latter.

The second one won't age as well. the ink tends to break down and bleed out a little over time, all those little dots will end up as little smudges and then just one smudge.

• Options
    Fandy.

Think about it like this.

It's not really a needle.

It's just a thing that scrapes across the top of your skin.

Mind you, I don't really get irrational fears.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i've been psyching myself up by thinking it's just lots of little tiny holes, not an actual needle, which doesn't bug me. how much do you guys think the first one (that's the idea i've had forever) all simple like would cost?

i also can't really decide where to get it, and pipes post reminded me i haven't thought enough about some of those particulars

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Less than a hundred. Easily.

I would suggest putting it where they have it on their shirt as that makes sense.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    coooooool

thaaaaanks

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Less than a hundred. Easily.

I would suggest putting it where they have it on their shirt as that makes sense.

We can't answer like that.

It depends artist to artist. Some have shop minimums. You need to ask them.

For instance there are 3 or 4 shops near me, if I were to ask them I'd get 4 different answers.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    yeah

it also depends on the particulars you want. Size, colour, shading etc

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    flipping through an old nat geo the other day, I came across this photo which I thought was really cool

0515121751.jpg

I'm thinking of making it my next piece, using white ink, but I know very little about white tattoos. Any advice?

also here's my most recent tat, right after I got it. It looks better now that it's healed a bit, and I love it

0426121527.jpg

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    ooh.
    EaCHP.jpg

I want one of these. This guy's style is exactly what floats my boat.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    flipping through an old nat geo the other day, I came across this photo which I thought was really cool

I'm thinking of making it my next piece, using white ink, but I know very little about white tattoos. Any advice?

White ink tattoos vary from person to person and I know some shops simply won't do them at all because depending on variations in your skin tone they can look great or like you're just developing patches of jaundice somehow. Your best bet is as always going to be talking to a tattoo artist about it because results vary so wildly and it's all going to be based on how your skin reacts to ink and all the undertones in your skin and how much sun exposure you get and etc, etc, etc.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    A co-worker just had a Hawaiin pin-up girl done by a 70-year old woman with a perfect hand, who was one of Sailor Jerry's apprentices. I like it more for the historical significance than anything else.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    cabsy wrote: »

White ink tattoos vary from person to person and I know some shops simply won't do them at all because depending on variations in your skin tone they can look great or like you're just developing patches of jaundice somehow. Your best bet is as always going to be talking to a tattoo artist about it because results vary so wildly and it's all going to be based on how your skin reacts to ink and all the undertones in your skin and how much sun exposure you get and etc, etc, etc.

Yeah honestly I don't usually like lots of white in a tattoo, it can be really sketchy.

A good artist will be able to create the illusion of white in your skintone by shading around it unless you have super dark skin of course.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    #pipe wrote: »
    cabsy wrote: »

Yeah honestly I don't usually like lots of white in a tattoo, it can be really sketchy.

A good artist will be able to create the illusion of white in your skintone by shading around it unless you have super dark skin of course.

The second picture in my post should allay that concern.

Part of the reason I wanted the white ink is so it would glow under blacklight (bio luminescent octopus and all) , but I guess that's fairly tacky.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

go on

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular

These are awesome

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

go on

You some kinda pre-vert, boy

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Tattoo thread!

Here is one that i got a few years ago after falling in love with the design from a t-shirt. I emailed the artist who designed the t-shirt and he sent me one free!
    2ebqsnn.jpg

Triiipledot on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    video game tattoos are terrible

clearly you are a terrible person

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    video game tattoos are terrible

clearly you are a terrible person