As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead GFX card or Motherboard and Replacement Recommends!

GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
I was hoping you fine gents would be able to help me with a little problem.

Two nights ago I stayed up late playing The Old Republic on my desktop, everything working perfectly fine. I go to sleep and wake up a few hours later to get on a plane.

I wiggle the mouse to wake the system up, I hear the system come up but there's no video feed. I checked the cables and the ports on the monitor and everything is good.

I restarted several times and no image appeared, of course making me think it was the GFX card. I had very limited time to mess with everything before my flight.

I opened up the case and reseated the card. I powered the system up and everything came up for a second. Then there was a flashing cursor, then no image at all.

I had to leave at that point.

Now it sounds to me that it's just the graphics card. I need to test more but I'm not sure how to check the motherboard. Also, if it is the graphics card I may just order one now so it's there when I get back.

What do you guys think? Can you offer me any help and/or advice as well as recommend any replacement cards. Pretty sure I had an ATI 5800.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
Grove on

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Definitely a GFX card... unless you replace it and it doesn't fix the issue.

In all seriousness, it could either be the card, the PCI-e slot, both, or a completely unrelated problem altogether (PSU cable to card fried or the card is overheating, for example). Without troubleshooting it's difficult to tell.

I don't think you can do too much wrong by ordering a new video card, if you've got the money.

jungleroomx on