As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photos Photos Photos

AronaxxAronaxx Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Artist's Corner
Glanced around, couldnt find the Photography thread, figured I have probably way to many photos to swamp the photo thread, decided to make a new thread featuring a bunch of photos i took. If the Photo thread isnt up since the server move or whatev, feel free to make this the photo thread.

anyways- here's some pictures.

P2170715.jpg
P2170705.jpg
P2170717.jpg
P2170719.jpg
P2170720.jpg
P2170726.jpg
P2170728.jpg
P2170729.jpg
P2090692.jpg
P2080681.jpg
P2090688.jpg
P7070348.jpg

Aronaxx on

• Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Absolutely horrible composition in all photos except for the second and third from the last, however, the second to last has its problems too with the crooked horizon. You could have cropped that to clean it up. Every other photo is just lacking an idea or an emotion. You took random photos around your town. awesome. Also quality on most is horrible, I'm assuming you are using a cheap digital.

Go buy a 35mm and some black and white film, its way easier to learn on because, well, you don't have to think as much as you do with color. Oh, and try to hold the camera straight, or at least clean up your photos before you show them here.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    master_shakemaster_shake Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't suggest going out and buying any cameras just yet. Go to the library and get some books. They're free. Get some books about basic technique and principles. Don't just read them, but apply the principles they prescribe and see what they can do for you. Even if you know some of the bookstuff already, there's always more to learn.

Use the internet for what it's worth, not putting your stuff out there, but looking at the work of people far better than you. I'm not suggesting that you rip off someone's style or compositions, but look at the photos they take and try to discern what makes them good photos. Choose one or two elements from the image, whether it's the direction/nature of the lightsource or the composition. Then work toward creating something like that in your own photographs.

I'm just making this up as I go. I could be totally off base.

master_shake on
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Space out these images so we can see them a bit better. From what I see now, you need to take some classes and/or read some books. I'm no photography buff, but even I know these are borderline average.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You've got some composition issues, some focus issues and some serious grain issues in low light. The only one I see as even mildly interesting is the paintbrush one.

Cute kitty, though.

Sheri on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Like Sheri said, composition issues and just overall quality issues.

There is intentionally blurry/grainy/underexposed/etc. and that is one thing, but when it is not part of what you are thinking about before you take the picture, it shows.

Also, a couple of those are pretty much just pictures of paintings. I know they are not dead on, but essentially just paintings.

Photo thread please, but this is not all bad stuff. Keep shooting.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    from all of those, i'd say the paint and the kitten are the two you should probably look at and figure out what you did that worked and what you did that didn't.
    generally, people will shit on pet photos and rightly so...but they do have their appeal.
    don't go buying any fancy camera stuff yet...or even some not-so-fancy camera stuff. the truth is that if you can take a great picture you should be able to get a decent one from terrible equipment.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2007
  • Options
    AronaxxAronaxx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    yeah, somehow I missed it.

thanks for the crits guys, I'm going to go look around for some books and see what I can come up with.

Aronaxx on
This discussion has been closed.