As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac laptop: "The Startup Disc is almost full. Clear Shit Out."

The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Note: I am not very computer savvy, so bear with me.

So, while uploading photos, I've gotten that message twice. For info, I'm using Mac OSX 10.5.8 on a laptop. I think I'm still on Leopard, in any case I haven't updated the OS since I got the thing in....'08 I believe.

My immediate instinct is it's telling me there's just Too Much Stuff on here, and I need to start deleting it. Is that what it means?

If so, what's the best way to go about doing so, in a way that'll clear out space? There's plenty of old files, programs I only used once, etc. How do I go about un-clogging it?

I have this program called Disc Inventory X on here that shows me what's taking up the most room, so that's a start, I guess?

The Last Gent on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Note: I am not very computer savvy, so bear with me.

So, while uploading photos, I've gotten that message twice. For info, I'm using Mac OSX 10.5.8 on a laptop. I think I'm still on Leopard, in any case I haven't updated the OS since I got the thing in....'08 I believe.

My immediate instinct is it's telling me there's just Too Much Stuff on here, and I need to start deleting it. Is that what it means?

If so, what's the best way to go about doing so, in a way that'll clear out space? There's plenty of old files, programs I only used once, etc. How do I go about un-clogging it?

I have this program called Disc Inventory X on here that shows me what's taking up the most room, so that's a start, I guess?

You drag the unwanted programs and files to the Trash and then Empty it. And yes, it means you your hard drive is almost full. Go under the "Apple" symbol on the Taskbar, About This Mac, More Info, and you should find where it tells you your available space.

Esh on
  • The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I know I sound like an infant here, but what am I looking for under "About This Mac--->More Info?" i.e where specifically under these stats and categories does it say how much space I have left. Ideally I can keep looking at that number as I trash things and hopefully make it bigger.

Thanks so far, BTW.

The Last Gent on
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I know I sound like an infant here, but what am I looking for under "About This Mac--->More Info?" i.e where specifically under these stats and categories does it say how much space I have left. Ideally I can keep looking at that number as I trash things and hopefully make it bigger.

Thanks so far, BTW.

I'm using Lion which is redesigned under that area. Is there nothing there that says hard drive or fixed drive or space free anywhere under one of the tabs? I mean, I'm not trying to be an ass, but it's not difficult if you just try. You should teach yourself these things. They're as basic as you can get.

EDIT: You can also go to Finder, select the hard drive, and hit Command + i and it'll tell you.

Esh on
  • The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    It's cool.

Wow. When I go into finder and click on Macintosh HD, and it shows me a screen of all the files, it says "1.81 GB available" at the bottom. Is THAT how much room I have left? If so, goddamn, I need to get deleting.

Edit: Deleted some stuff. Number doubles instantly. I think we have a winner.

The Last Gent on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    OmniDiskSweeper is a handy tool for checking where space has gone.

Just remember - if it's in a Library or System folder you really don't want to fuck with it.

• LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    It's cool.

Wow. When I go into finder and click on Macintosh HD, and it shows me a screen of all the files, it says "1.81 GB available" at the bottom. Is THAT how much room I have left? If so, goddamn, I need to get deleting.

Bingo, we have a winner. Basic way to keep tabs on HD space is the "X GB available" at the bottom of all Finder windows. It's the quick and dirty of how much space is on that disk you are on.

Note: Just sending files to the Trash does NOT delete them nor does it free up disk space. You must empty the trash to reclaim that disk space.

Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
    Laemkral wrote:
    It's cool.

Bingo, we have a winner. Basic way to keep tabs on HD space is the "X GB available" at the bottom of all Finder windows. It's the quick and dirty of how much space is on that disk you are on.

Just a quick aside, Lion doesn't tell you how much space you have free at the bottom of your Finder window.