As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell my wife I said, "[chat]."

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    alright, how do I watch season two of sherlock holmes without being in the UK?

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Oh god, I love this:

totally NSFW due to language:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89AXhhCx3S4&feature=related

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    We will be invaded by China 10 Times before we go to war with Russia.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    AERIS DIES

Man, and I was just about to play that game.

Welp, no point now.

Thanks alot, Winky.

"Aeris dies" is (unfortunately) a meme. I mean, it's still a spoiler, but it is also something else entirely now, something more.

It doesn't excuse it as a spoiler, and it doesn't serve as an example of why it's okay to spoil other old media, even though people spout the meme for that exact purpose. People know "Aeris dies" specifically because it is a persistent cultural meme. There are plenty of other things that came out in 1997 that did not achieve the status FF7 did. A lot of people don't know, for instance, how Final Fantasy Tactics (also from 1997) ended. It's a good example, I think, because while it is also a popular spoiler and more well-known than others, it's not a meme unto itself.

So is it right or wrong to spoil the ending of Final Fantasy Tactics? I say wrong. But Final Fantasy VII? The spoiler is a part of our culture now. Whether or not it is right or wrong to spoil it isnt even a valid question at this point.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    @Thomamelas - You read my mind. :) Jennifer Beals has aged really well. She's a cougar I would let hunt me.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Oh and people in elevators. Fuck those people.

I just learned that if you hold down the floor you want the elevator (in most buildings) will go directly to that floor ignoring any previously selected ones.

But all the buildings I frequent with elevators only have, at best, 4 floors, so I never get the chance to try it out. Apparently it's something first responders use.

I thought you had to hold the door close button and button of the floor you want for that to happen?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Also, Nova_C, I'm sorry, but I packed most efficiently, so I've spent time.. progressing my Siths story. I'm now level 32.

I unsubscribed. The game plays exactly the same as WoW and I quit WoW because it was always exactly the same.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    Also, Nova_C, I'm sorry, but I packed most efficiently, so I've spent time.. progressing my Siths story. I'm now level 32.

I unsubscribed. The game plays exactly the same as WoW and I quit WoW because it was always exactly the same.

Noooo. :(

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I had a mustard and lime dressing for the salad with my pasta once. Was yummy.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    desc wrote:
    How do I tell my boss that the entire concept of doing something with an "80s theme" is incredibly dated and most of our youngest customers in 2012 won't even really remember the decade

Except without making her feel old

Never mind I should not even get in the middle

I should keep painting the new lane I'm making for myself re: job because I like where I am nudging it

you should stay in your lane, boss
    at the age of 13 i was up in the range, dogg
    not the one you drive, the one that's danger
    i aim at your face to release my anger

"Religious with hammers, fakes get jammed up
    Cakes get battered, coming through to get it through transactions
    Blood-stinking fiends, machine guns, cannons and teams
    Baking sodas, gold Rovers and gophers
    Land in every project, sex, lies, murderous reps
    Back to cassettes, vets dying on steps
    What's really taking place in them hoods?"

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    Huh. Firaxis is making an X-Com turn based tactical squad remake.

I may actually become a hermit at some point. >.>

We will be hermit bros. Living so very far apart and with no social contact with the outside world.

Yeah I was just about to post about that. I'd love to play a real xcom game with a non retarded UI.

Gameinformer cover spoilered for hscroll destruction
    cov_226_l.jpg

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Drez wrote:
    "Aeris dies" is (unfortunately) a meme. I mean, it's still a spoiler, but it is also something else entirely now, something more.

It doesn't excuse it as a spoiler, and it doesn't serve as an example of why it's okay to spoil other old media, even though people spout the meme for that exact purpose. People know "Aeris dies" specifically because it is a persistent cultural meme. There are plenty of other things that came out in 1997 that did not achieve the status FF7 did. A lot of people don't know, for instance, how Final Fantasy Tactics (also from 1997) ended. It's a good example, I think, because while it is also a popular spoiler and more well-known than others, it's not a meme unto itself.

So is it right or wrong to spoil the ending of Final Fantasy Tactics? I say wrong. But Final Fantasy VII? The spoiler is a part of our culture now. Whether or not it is right or wrong to spoil it isnt even a valid question at this point.

That was a joke. Of course I've played FF7.

It's not even an end-game spoiler. Aeris dies like halfway through.

And I played Tactics as well, but never finished it.

• Options
    thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    I like how nobody is telling me Iran or Syria won't happen. Sigh.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    DK, I usually find Toms Hardware as a great source for info.

I used to go there, but to be honest I feel like their reviews and comparisons are overly long and filled with technical specs and technobabble that doesn't even remotely help me inform a purchase.

I mean, it's great that a site out there does all that, but do I really need to look at charts of bus speeds and the like to make a video card purchase? Meh,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Just pick your price range
    then pick your card.

Super-simple.

(Select your pistol, then select your horse.)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I was so happy when Aeris died. because it meant Tifa and Cloud could finally be together without that meddlesome bitch.

Mim on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I've worn a tux like twice in my life. once for a college dance formal and another for my brother's wedding.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    I was so happy with Aeris died. because it meant Tifa and Cloud could finally be together without that meddlesome bitch.

team Tifa high five

I won't lie though I was kinda pissed the first time because she had all the ballin' ass healing limit breaks

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote:

The kicker was yesterday. I hadn't played TOR in a couple days and I thought "I should get a couple levels in, but I'd rather play Minecraft."

I didn't see the point in even trying. I was only logging in to get levels, not to experience the game. The story is cool, but the gameplay is so fucking boring and I'm so fucking sick of spending the length of some entire games just to get one more level and a single upgraded ability.

No, I'm done with the action bar MMO.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I know, but people do bring up "Aeris dies" in earnest as some kind of defense for spoiling older things. I know you were joking, but I thought it was good timing so I could hop up on my soapbox and explain why I find that defense defunct.

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    Drez wrote:

what seriously?

I thought I was at the end when Aeris died and I was about to go fight Sephiroth..

my save file was lost so I never finished it.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Dynagrip wrote:
    I've worn a tux like twice in my life. once for a college dance formal and another for my brother's wedding.

Wore one to my own wedding. First and probably last.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Daxon wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    Drez wrote:

what seriously?

I thought I was at the end when Aeris died and I was about to go fight Sephiroth..

She died somewhere on Disc 2. Like the middle of it, I think?

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:
    Kalkino wrote:
    Honk wrote:
    I don't actually want to discuss mustard but I am bored and don't want to do any work.

Do you think your employer could motivate you if mustard was applied to your eye lids?

Don't give ideas! Bad!

To whom it may concern,

I understand that you are the lawful Master or owner of one Swede known as "Honk". This Villein has made it that he suffers from a lack of motivation and that his interest now turns to the topic of mustard, which I understand originated as a Roman condiment. Anyway, regardless of such, might I suggest you seek to address his work shy nature by way of applying said condiment somewhere on his person.

Yours

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Feral wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    DK, I usually find Toms Hardware as a great source for info.

I used to go there, but to be honest I feel like their reviews and comparisons are overly long and filled with technical specs and technobabble that doesn't even remotely help me inform a purchase.

I mean, it's great that a site out there does all that, but do I really need to look at charts of bus speeds and the like to make a video card purchase? Meh,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Just pick your price range
    then pick your card.

Super-simple.

(Select your pistol, then select your horse.)

I actually thought about the horse comic before I even reached your parenthetical.

That is by far one of my favorite PA strips.

• Options
    Mim wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    Drez wrote:

what seriously?

he thought disc 3 was deleted scenes and cast interviews

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    Daxon wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    Drez wrote:

what seriously?

Doesn't she die on disc 1 or whatever?

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I just learned that if you hold down the floor you want the elevator (in most buildings) will go directly to that floor ignoring any previously selected ones.

But all the buildings I frequent with elevators only have, at best, 4 floors, so I never get the chance to try it out. Apparently it's something first responders use.

I thought you had to hold the door close button and button of the floor you want for that to happen?

You are correct, I totally forgot that part. I would totally flunk the first responder test!

• Options
    Zampanov wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    I was so happy with Aeris died. because it meant Tifa and Cloud could finally be together without that meddlesome bitch.

team Tifa high five

I won't lie though I was kinda pissed the first time because she had all the ballin' ass healing limit breaks

I didn't really care because by that point all my cure materia was high enough I didn't need her around.

"WHAT. NO HEALER? FUCK THAT, I GOTS SEVEN. I GOTS SEVEN"

• Options
    Zampanov wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    Drez wrote:

what seriously?

he thought disc 3 was deleted scenes and cast interviews

Hahaha oh my god I just laughed out loud on my bus.

• Options
    Mim wrote:
    Drez wrote:

You are correct, I totally forgot that part. I would totally flunk the first responder test!

"I don't know why Sarge, but I keep getting stopped on ALL the floors"

• Options
    Mim wrote:

Nope, end of disc 1, but disc 1 takes like 20 hours to play through, disc 2 and 3 are way shorter.

Daxon, yeah, you're on your way to fight Sephiroth at the time, but you get .... waylaid.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    FF7 was ridiculously long.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Disc 2 was awesome though.

Tifa and Scarlet slap fight? Hells yeah.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:

The kicker was yesterday. I hadn't played TOR in a couple days and I thought "I should get a couple levels in, but I'd rather play Minecraft."

I didn't see the point in even trying. I was only logging in to get levels, not to experience the game. The story is cool, but the gameplay is so fucking boring and I'm so fucking sick of spending the length of some entire games just to get one more level and a single upgraded ability.

No, I'm done with the action bar MMO.

True enough. I see my self dropping it as soon as I've gone through the storylines that interest me the most. Right now, however, I still find myself thinking about the storyline more than the leveling.

• Options
    Haha, yeah, that part was great.

Did you guys ever fight Ruby Weapon? Goddamn, that boss was bullshit. I could take out Emerald no trouble, but Ruby was always iffy.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i'm wearing a tux right now

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    i'm wearing a tux right now

What's the occasion for the penguin suit?

• Options
    I never knew if Tifa and Cloud got it on underneath the Highwind right before the big fight with Sephiroth.

My little heart says "yes" but if I directed a FF7 movie (which I would do well because I'd bring in all my fellow geeks to help me), I'd leave it kind of ambiguous.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    FF8 was so much better than 7 anyway.

EDIT: Well something went on because Tifa was all embarrassed when she realized everyone had been in the Highwind at the time. So it's only ambiguous in how far they went.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Mim wrote:
    Disc 2 was awesome though.

Tifa and Scarlet slap fight? Hells yeah.

fighting giant weapons, breedin' chocobos, gettin errbody final limit breaks and ultimate weaps

good times

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
This discussion has been closed.